My first one!

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    stay_home_mommy3posted 14 years ago

Hi
    Would anyone be willing to look at my first hub and give advice or ideas?
    Thanks

1. classicalgeek profile image83
      classicalgeekposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The best advice I have gotten so far is:

1) your hub should be a minimum of 750 words--I think you're short of that.
      2) I would include an Amazon capsule so that people can check out the vacuum that you're recommending. I almost never buy anything without reading product reviews on Amazon.
      3) try to include more interactive stuff like a poll
      4) ask for comments and people's own opinions more aggressively.
      5) make a little better use of formatting
      6) Add a picture of the product (and maybe more than one)
      7) compare with other vacuums

Good luck and welcome to hubpages!

2. KeithTax profile image73
      KeithTaxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Welcome, Mommy3:

I would like to add a few comments on your first hub.

1.) Since your hub is short, consider adding a video from YouTube.

2.) Don't be afraid to use more than one (1) Amazon capsule. Swing the Amazon capsule to the right and provide more choices.

3.) Intermix more images.

4.) A poll would be nice. (Which Vacuum do you use?) This can also lead to more hub ideas when people comment.

5.) I like to include the "in the news" capsule on every hub. You may need to use "house cleaning" or some other generic term that brings up news.

Hope this helps. You can lengthen your hub with all the added goodies (capsules).

2. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

Im not very good at advice, but it seems good to me. I like that its honest about the cons, I dont usally see that in reviews. maybe you could put in a picuter? Good job writng yoru first hub! Hope you like it here.

3. profile image0

Thanks for the advice!  I'm still learning, but enjoying it.  Classicalgeek, I will try get the word count up a bit.  I don't have an Amazon account yet, so I'm not sure how to add the capsule.  But I can figure it out!

How do I add pictures, just, well, pictures???

4. timorous profile image82
    timorousposted 14 years ago

Go to this hub page about understanding the capsules (component parts of your hub page).  There's some fairly clear info about adding pictures, a little further down the page.

http://hubpages.com/guide/hubtool/capsules

Keep this in mind: there's basically 3 picture widths: Full (520 pixels), Half (260 pixels), 1/4 (130 pixels).  If your pictures aren't already these widths, they'll be resized to fit.  However, the photo quality will be reduced.  It's best to resize the pictures yourself using a good photo-editing program.  The height can be any reasonable value.

If you still need help, feel free to ask.  There aren't any stupid questions.

5. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years ago

I'm on my way to check it out.  Welcome.  And, don't hesitate to ask questions.  I've found this community to be so helpful and welcoming to its newcomers... I hope you ahve the same experience. Its a great place to write.

6. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69

SAHMy- Good work on the first hub.  You've got the basics down.  I liked the honesty of the review... and, you came up w/ a lot of little items that wouldn't normally be included in a product description, so its definitely worth reading (a lot of items, us moms need too!)  I agree w/ an earlier poster... You could just flush it out a little more.  A few pics, and an Amazon capsule would do wonders.  You can add a capsule before you actually have your Amazon account, you just can't make money on it until you're all signed up.

Do a hub search on the topics that confuse you.  A lot of hubbers write articles directed at other hubbers... especially the new ones (or the ones who have been around a little while, but still have TONS to learn, like me. smile )

7. profile image0

I love all the feedback!
    ThoughtfulSpot
    I've looked around about adding pictures, but I'm a bit confused.  I dont' want to take a pic of my vac. (it's dirty because I use it) so where would I look for pictures???  I can't seem to find any hubs about it, but maybe I'm missing them?

8. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

Read and commented.
    Also, happy to fan you! Do read the Help section above, and best of luck with everything....! smile

9. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69

Justine beat me to it...
    You can also use Google Images... do an advanced search, and check off photos approved for re-use (or commercial re-use, depending) and search away.  Just remember to attribute the work to the photographer.  (I usually do this in my caption... but that's up to you.)

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

caption is better then ..is it title? because the words are printed lighter and less detracting if all you want is to be legal...
      just try out different stuff and see what works for you, you can always change it!  good luck again!

10. Paradise7 profile image69
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

Definitely include an Amazon capsule--it's really easy, just pick "Bissell" or "Vaccuum Cleaner" for a keyword and let Amazon find the products.  Then you might even make $ from it.

Also, pics help.  Some people seem to think it could be a little longer.  I think you said what you had to say and got out, which is BETTER!  Yes?

On the whole, an understandable, reasonably articulate and well-written hub.  Congratulations and welcome to HubPages!

11. Paradise7 profile image69
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

Try Bing or Google for pics.

12. profile image0

Ok, I am on lots of cold meds, so I'm not quite understanding the copywrite laws on pictures.  So, I added a Amazon Capsule and put them both on the right and I added a poll.
    I really appreciate your guys help.  Thanks for being so positive!

1. timorous profile image82
      timorousposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In most cases you'll find photos at websites like flickr, stock.xchng, google images, etc., that are "royalty free". 

This usually means you can use the image on a web page without paying a fee to the owner of the image.  However, it also means that you can't distribute copies of the image, or use it as part of a commercial advertisement, or sell it for profit.

The owner may request that they be notified, so you should let them know what you'll be using it for, just as a courtesy, if possible.  Also, include a credit (caption) for the image source (where you got it) on your hub page.

Hope that helps some.  I also hope you lose that cold very soon, mommy3.

13. NoRR4Me profile image66
    NoRR4Meposted 14 years ago

Hello and welcome to HubPages,

You have a pretty good first hub. I've been thinking about doing some product hubs too. You did a great job.

You asked about pictures, I think Amazon associate can use Amazon's pictures and enlarge them if needed.

14. Anne009 profile image61
    Anne009posted 14 years ago

Hi!

I am new to Hubs as well but I enjoyed reading your honest review. The advice given here is awesome- such amazing support- it has really helped me reading all the advice above and wish you well with your hubs too!

15. profile image0

Hey everyone!  Been a better day, getting over this stupid cold.  I'm going to try to understand the pictures tomorrow, so we shall see!

Thanks again for all the help.  I think I'm slowly getting it down, and best of all, I'm really having fun!

16. profile image0

I finally got an image loaded on it!!!!
    Thanks for the help everyone!

1. timorous profile image82
      timorousposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yaayyy! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)