What is a hero to you?

Jump to Last Post 1-45 of 45 discussions (110 posts)
  1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

For me it is a person that protects those that need it. Someone that stands up to bullies and allows those that wouldn't get it otherwise, a chance to grow and prosper. Someone who uses their skills and talents for the betterment of all, not just a chosen few.

1. profile image0
      StormRyderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My Mom & Dad...You know why Mikel big_smile
      They are ~My Angels~

Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes I do.   big_smile

2. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A hero to me is some one who is born and then raised by a loving single parent who dedicated his life to insuring that that kid would be properly equipped in life to live it and enjoy it.No the parent is not the hero. In this case it is the kid who grew up to become the pride of his parents life.
      The kid who kept his cool, learned and became a successful businessman and father. The kid who resisted all the temptations to fail. The kid who had no "peers." Whom others followed and look up to and who gave me 2 wonderful grandkids and is now a single parent himself.
      I know, you guessed who my hero is: MY SON!

big_smile

3. profile image0
      sophsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My Mum! smile

4. profile image0

And two people who once saved my life! smile

I'd like to hear that story...did you hub it?

1. profile image0

Yeah, but I didn't really mention them as much as I should have. They did their best, what they could smile big_smile

Nice Hub, bad situation...

5. Black Lilly profile image61
      Black Lillyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hero = the most dangerous profession on Earth wink

6. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with your description of a hero, and I would add that a hero never believes himself/herself to be one.

very true.

2. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 14 years ago

for me it's as simple as this: my mama big_smile

wink

3. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

When I think of the word "Hero"  I think of Superman (like your pic, btw smile)
    but if I were to seriously think about it, to me a hero is someone I would admire for their determination in overcoming obstacles.  So...I would have to say I think the world is full of heroes nobody knows about.

4. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

???

http://www.afajournal.org/images/0208_3firemen.gif

1. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hero yes

5. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

???

http://www.jewsonfirst.org/images/obama8.jpg

6. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Heroes depend on circumstances.
    Everybody can be a heroe, as everybody can be a coward.
    Soemtimes war heroes are terrible human beings; and  cowards,on the contrary, very good ones.
    In everyday life, you can be a heroe, I can be a heroe. I don't give importance to that word. It's totaly subjective.

7. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

???

http://theblacksentinel.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/police.jpg

1. profile image0

Some are, but some are as bent as a 9 bob note!! smile
      (I don't mean bent as in their sexuality, I mean you know, dodgy, corrupt)!

8. waynet profile image70
    waynetposted 14 years ago

A hero is someone who has superpowers and saves the day...like once when I ran out of Marmite, I had to fly to the corner shop and get some more, it's a tough job being a hero but I get by with my superpowers!

1. profile image0

Hahaha! smile

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

lol

9. Betty Reid profile image60
    Betty Reidposted 14 years ago

I would normally define a hero as a role model.  Some one who exhibits strong values and good judgment.  I would agree that someone who protects others can be a hero too.

10. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

How about "Mighty Mouse?" When he views bad things here on earth, he flies to earth, lands, spreads his muscular arms and sings: I'm Mighty Mouse! I'm here to save the day!"
    Now that's a hero!   :-)

11. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

???

http://www.solarnavigator.net/history/explorers_history/Winston_Churchill_British_bulldog_portrait.jpg

1. qwark profile image59

Mikel"
      Do you remember the story about Churchill sitting with folks and having dinner? The lady next to him leaned over and quietly said: Mr Churchill, you are drunk!
      Churchill took another sip of his wine, turned and looked at her and said: Madame you are ugly!
      Looked away, took another sip of his drink, looked back at her and said tomorrow morning I'll be sober.........and, Madame, you'll still be ugly! ...and returned to his drink...:-)
      That was alledgedly a true story.

nope, I never heard that before... What happened?

1. qwark profile image59

Mikel:
          hahaha...that's it.  :-)

2. calpol25 profile image58
        calpol25posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Qwark it was true, he is quoted in the british history books for saying that amongst others lol  and your right he was a hero of his time, without him britain would never had stood a chance in the face of hitler.

12. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

???

http://callitaweasel.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/knight-in-shining-armour.jpg

1. Rafini profile image81
      Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sorry, but this one isn't real

i can agree with the concept, maybe  smile

13. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/pope_benedict-1.jpg

1. profile image0
      china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

see the career prospects that being in the Hitler Youth Brigade brings.

14. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

???

http://jimvining.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/angry-preacher.jpg

15. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

I had to seriously decide my hero for something I was writing.  After a lot of thought I decided it was an African woman I saw on TV during the famines maybe 20 years ago. She walked into a red cross feeding station as a skeleton with two skeleton babies. Later it transpired that one baby was hers and the other she had found abandoned by the side of the road. I think she had carried both her own and the found baby for a week.  When I run down the list of comic superheros I can't find one that matches, and when I look at the real heroes of the last decades none of them seem to have half of what she had, I have been in the forces and war heroes doing what they do is somehow less, it is admirable and heroic but not as heroic as her.

well said.

16. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

???

http://www.chewingpixels.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/tank-man.jpg

17. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

???

http://www.mikepaulblog.com/blog/media/Jackie%20Robinson.jpg

1. defenestratethis profile image60
      defenestratethisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep.

18. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

???

http://inspiration101.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/bill_gates.jpg

19. myownworld profile image74
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

My heroes are children living in slums....who manage to smile despite their bones showing and no roof over their heads.... yes, I've learnt all that life was meant for in their shining hopeful eyes. smile

1. Rafini profile image81
      Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

me too

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

beautifully said, and oh so sad...your heroes deserve a hero.

1. myownworld profile image74
        myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile

20. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

you got the idea, mikel  smile

21. jimmythejock profile image83
    jimmythejockposted 14 years ago

What is a hero? great question
    To me a hero is a person who gets on with their daily life coping with problems as they come up without complaint, a hero helps others without expecting anything in return. A hero even helps people out sometimes without that person knowing a thing about it.
    A Hero stays in the background unnoticed and unseen until the moment of crisis when they shine.
    there is a hero in every one of us but most of us dont know it and never will.....jimmy

nicely stated.

22. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/1004764_f496.jpg

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/1004763_f496.jpg

Well Cindyvine thought AE and I made good heroes ROFL

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/rolling.gif

{I had no idea that AEvans squirted}

23. livewithrichard profile image74
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

For me, a hero is anyone that has the fortitude to face adversity head on with an unwavering regard to his/her own circumstance.  He/she does what has to be done because there is no one else there to do it. I don’t think heroes are born or created. I think they are awakened at a time when they are most needed. I think we all have the ability to be heroes and it’s our moral character that will guide us in our decisions. True heroes are selfless and never seek the attention that is garnered by their actions.

If not me... Who? If not now... When?

I agree.

24. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

???

http://www.writespirit.net/inspirational_talks/political/martin_luther_king_talks/martin-luther-king2.jpg

Definitly a hero.

25. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

???

http://artfiles.art.com/5/p/LRG/19/1919/SGU9D00Z/famous-scientists.jpg

Absolutely

26. Rayalternately profile image60
    Rayalternatelyposted 14 years ago

It's chocolate with bubbles in it... oops, my mistake, thought you asked what an Aero was! big_smile

big_smile lol big_smile

27. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

anyone who can trim my toenails for me.

Then I am a hero smile

28. profile image0

Hello Deb. Would you do that for lil ol me? bless you xox

I would do it for you any-day of the week. xox

29. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I have answered this one a few times on other places...so here is my answer smile

My heros are the miiltary men and women who sacrafice their life for my own. Military families for their sacrifices that they have to deal with to being married to the military men and women. Authors because they are the ones who have inspired me to write my own stories and strive to become an author myself. Teachers who have taught me the schooling that I needed to strive to get the best edutaion for myself as well as to show me that I am a teacher myself. And my parents because they have made me who I am today with their teachings and everything else. And a new hero my husband who loves me for me and pushes me to strive for my dreams and succeed.

nice

30. profile image0

Come see me in a week. I just had a heck of a time doing them the other day. My eyes are bad, my joints are too stiff and I find it hard since my arms got shorter. LOL

31. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

His Mom was born on my birthday... 100 years earlier...

32. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Mine are mostly female, so heroine is a better word for me. My children's teachers, and those who are quietly heroic daily without the fan fare.
    I don't see dangerous workers such as fire fighters as heroes, I was one for a while, and you run on adrenaline when in the face of a big fire, so no heroism is required.

out of all the replies to this thread, yours is the only one that lists what you don't consider to be a hero...  hmm

...I wonder what that means...

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly what it says. I also listed who I do think are heroes. smile

33. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

anyone that works in law enforcement, military, fireman, medical services, and teachers are heroes.

34. Ann Nonymous profile image61
    Ann Nonymousposted 14 years ago

My mom. She is brave, courageous, raised my siblings and I, which took much wisdom and grace, and she survived! 
    She is full of honor, and love and respect and always strives  to do what is right.
    She is willing to give a helping hand, offer comfort, do whatever for anyone even when she is sick.
    She is loyal, joyful, funny, smart, wise, God-fearing, and she loves me. She is my best friend, she is my hero!

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

wow, she sounds like a great lady.  it's no wonder why she's your hero.  if only all mothers in our world were like her, then maybe we'd be living in a much better place.

1. Ann Nonymous profile image61
        Ann Nonymousposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My mom is an amazing woman, I agree -but she is the first one to admit her mistakes...and I love her all the more because even during a brief interlude of my young life when i thought I hated her and made her know it, she still loved me.
        I agree, unfortunately, that there are mothers out there that sometimes fail to get it right. Often it's because they haven't had anyone to show them how to be a mother, or to listen to those natural mothering instincts. But still I think every mother is deserving of some form of respect and love just because they gave life to their child...on the other hand that is easy to say because I have been tremendously blessed with a God loving mother! And any white hairs she has....All thanks to me! LOL

1. profile image0

lol.  well im sure your mom loves you just as much as you love her. anyway, as far as what you said about other mothers out there, i think your right about that.  plus, it seems there's a lot of young teen mothers now a days, that aren't ready to be a parent.  that's another problem with society today. 

anyway, i don't mean to bore with all that though.  lol.  however it's good to see you again. smile

You never bore me Steven...I had a quiet day so it's nice to chat a bit...
            Yes it is extremely shocking to see so many children give birth to children, themselves. Sad, actually....
            Yeah, I know my mom loves me! LOL
            I feel so bad for others who haven't experienced the all consuming love of a mother, or father much less. I can not imagine what it feels like.
            Yeah my family isn't perfect but we all love each other....which means lots of fighting, and bickering...!!!!!! LOL
            But hey, it's like my dad always says when he picks on us, "You only tease those you love. You only fight with those you love. I don't go up to random strangers and yell at them...." And he is right. That healthy dose of conflict in families keeps us real!
            Now I must apologize for boring you, Steven!!!!!!!

1. profile image0

lol.  nah, you never bore me either ann.  to be honest, i always enjoy talking to you as you always seem  to  have a very cheerful and uplifting personality.  which is one of the reasons why your one of my  favorite writers on here.  smile

Awww, come on Steven...I have really BAD days where not even a ghost of a smile crosses my face! LOL
                But thanks for your kindness! I think I can remain to have an upbeat personality here on HP because from the moment I log on I am surrounded by cheer and really uplifing remarks, such as yours!

Soooooo, I am guessing you watched the Oscars?!?! I admit I didn't as I was "otherwise detained" meaning I crashed. I was sooo tired! LOL
                I'll have to check up on your predictions which were probably all correct!

1. profile image0

well if you want, i just published a new hub about the results of the oscars.  plus, i even left a note to all my fans and readers like yourself.  sadly, i wasn't right about all of them.  but i was happy to be correct on most of them.  lol.   however,i'll let you be the judge.

Ooops, How did I miss that? I'm going to check it out right now and then I'll be back, 'kay!

Oh and just the fact you were brave enough to make predictions so publicly warrants praise even if you didn't get them all right. Hollywood is all about drama so they love to shake things up and keep us guessing...although on the other hand they are predictably predictable!!!!! LOL
                    Alright, I'm heading over to your latest and greatest right.....NOW!

35. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Fred Hollows devoted himself to restoring eye-sight of thousands of people in developing countries.
    It has been estimated through the initiatives of Fred, over one million people have had their sight restored around the world.

http://img2.scoop.co.nz/stories/images/0802/9aac34da1e04c894c12d.jpeg

A definite hero. RIP Fred!

1. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And a Kiwi big_smile
        With great foresight that he shared, taught and passed on to the world, through those who most needed it.  Amazing man! smile

He really was amazing! And irreverent! I loved they way he spoke. Straight from that big heart of his, never minced words, everyone knew where they stood with Fred. ... About 6 foot behind his patients! lol

2. defenestratethis profile image60

Yep definitley a hero, and then theres those Docs who volunteer to fix the cleft palates of kids in underdeveloped countries..and theres this one Doc in Seattle who roams the streets at night helping homeless people with medical issues...also there was this one guy in Chicago who made it his mission to feed the parking meters of  anyone working in the city and parked on the street, so they wouldnt get a ticket..and he kept ON doing it even when the city threatened to sue him ...

36. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

HubPages REALLY needs to have a chat room programmed in...

I've asked and asked, maybe we could start a petition?

Wouldn't that be awesome Mikel to have a chat program where you could actually talk a little like MSN. Can you imagine all the different accents and belly laughs. I have talked to a few people on HP looove the accents.
      I'm all in favor or it as there are some incredible people here really worthy to be life-time friends.

you mean like a skype chat/cam thingy? I was just talking a text room strickly for conversations, something that allows people to talk and frees up the forums...

Yes definitely I will vote for it for sure smile

37. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

???

http://www.gandhiserve.org/streams/images/einstein.jpg

Genius..hero...however you define him he was one of a kind smile

Well said, Blonde! Well said indeed!

2. Ann Nonymous profile image61

Hey Mikel! I love this pic....In fact I used to use Albert as my facebook profile pic....the one where his tongue sticks out and his hair looks electricuted! LOL

big_smile

3. defenestratethis profile image60

He's my hero, but I bet he wouldnt want to be called one..

38. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

A kiwi soldier fighting with the British army in Afganistan today, threw a live grenade back at the Taliban after it hit his Commander and fell at his feet.  A split second decision which saved his life and those of his unit.

I would say that is a pretty heroic act. hmm

39. pooja0908 profile image61
    pooja0908posted 14 years ago

one who is born to lead

40. JON EWALL profile image61
    JON EWALLposted 14 years ago

HUBBERS
    A REAL HERO WILL APPEAR ON THE GLEN BECK SHOW

Tues on fox news  at 5:00 pm ET time

Try not to miss it, the truth of what's going on in our government

41. defenestratethis profile image60
    defenestratethisposted 14 years ago

Anyone who chooses to do the right thing, rather than the easy thing.
    Anyone who is able to continue in the face of great fear.
    All Dogs.
    My big brother Mike when he hung that bully from his ankles over the white bridge after I told him he spit in my face.
    That man who dove repeatedly into the freezing water to retrieve his fellow passengers from an airplane crash, and ended up losing his own life.
    People who are exceedingly kind and/or generous with no expectations of it being reciprocated.
    Selma Parks
    Malcolm X
    Anne Frank
    Nelson Mandella
    Joan De Arc
    My brother Craig, the most honest man I know.
    Schindler
    That handsome fireman who scooped me up in his arms when I was in Kindergarten (when the local Fire Dept came to our class and demonstrated a drill) and carried me out the door *sigh*
    Father Damien

42. britneydavidson profile image60
    britneydavidsonposted 14 years ago

Me myself is hero for me as i always do good to all.

43. defenestratethis profile image60
    defenestratethisposted 14 years ago

And oh yeah...people who do the honest noble thing, even when no one is watching, despite the fact that they could benefit greatly if they gave into temptation....you know, like finding a wallet and /or money clip with loads of $$$$ but no I.D. whatsoever..

44. feelikes profile image52
    feelikesposted 14 years ago

....I feel like a hero and you are my heroine
        I won't try to philosophize
        Do you know that your love is the sweetest sin?.....

Hmmm good question. I have lots. There's Karl Marx, Leon Trotsky, Sigmund Freud, Charles Darwin, Matt Dillahunty, Richard Dawkins, Nicolaus Copernicus, Greg Graffin, Ghandi, Edwin Hubble, Dr. Pamela Gay and Fraiser Cain (astronomy cast ftw), Johannes Kepler, Albert Einstein, Sir Isaac Newton. I guess that's all that come to mind right now.

I choose them because they have revolutionary ideas or because they are good communicators and I enjoy what they have to say. As you can tell I'm a fan of science.

45. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

Someone who stands up for what they believe in against any and all odds and by their actions inspire many others!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)