Who got robbed and who got what they deserved during the Oscars?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (38 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

In the Oscars last night, there was a few upsets and a few expected winners too.  i would just like to ask you all, who do you think should've have won an award, and why?  and who won that you felt deserved it.

1. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know, haven't seen any of the nominated movies yet. Tried watching some of the Oscars, but got bored because I didn't have anyone to "root for," I guess. I do want to see "Precious" though.

2. Michael Willis profile image68
      Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Farrah Fawcett!!!

Heard today that the omission of Farrah from the video honoring those who has passed left Farrah out on purpose! They said she was a TV personality, and not for the movies.
      Farrah had 17 movies it was stated and how in the world does Michael Jackson get honored and Farrah not???
      The Academy big shots blew it!

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah, you bring up a good point there.  i think farah fawcett deserved to honored more so than michael jackson.  no offense to the former king of pop, but he was more of a musician rather than any kind of movie star.  farah was more of a movie star than he ever was, so your right about that.  personally, i can see michael jackson being honored during an award show like the grammys, but not the oscars.  that never should've happened.  however, i  think because his documentary, "this is it", wasn't nominated, they decided to make up for it by honoring him in that tribute.  however, it's just not fairs i tells ya.

2. profile image0

i for one was glad to see "Avatar" not win best picture.   as great as it was, it was also over hyped.  If it were up to me, i'd given the best picture award to either "Precious", "Inglourious Basterds" or "District 9", but that's just me.  However, "The Hurt Locker" was a great film too, and I liked it.  Therefore, I was happy to see the Academy didn't pick NOW to start listening to the social majority of America, when it came to giving out that award.  Besides, we're talking about the same country that voted for Taylor Lautner for "Best up and coming actor" in the "People's Choice Awards."  lol.  therefore, I'm glad with the results.  smile

1. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hear, Hear! smile

Did you know that it was Cameron's ex-wife who directed The Hurt Locker?

That must sting

1. profile image0

yeah, but not as bad as the fact that did you know that James Cameron actually recommended her to direct "the hurt locker", so i guess you can say that was a very smart move on his part. lollol

1. profile image0
          Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Little did he know . . .

I just can't imagine an ego as big as his taking it all that calmly smile

1. profile image0

lol.  that's true. oh well.  im sure he'll get over it, since he's already talking about writing his novel on "Avatar" and another sequel to it.  go figure.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

actually I read and heard him in a couple of interviews before the awards and he said he thought she deserves the award and was hoping she would get it.  not sure he felt that way about the movie though.

either way I was happy with the results. loved both of the movies.

I didn't see some of the others, so I don't know. I do want to see Precious and Inglorious Bastards.

this afternoon I'm going to see Shutter Island... yikes:

3. Padrino profile image60
    Padrinoposted 14 years ago

I only saw two of the movies nominated for best picture District 9 and the hurt locker. I thought District 9 was better but to be truthful I have no idea how it ended up nominated. I did see Inglorious Basterds I forgot, it was that forgettable.

1. Canklefish profile image81
      Canklefishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I enjoyed Inglourious Basterds, but it definitely shouldn't have gotten the nod. Good flick though, just an acquired taste.

4. Canklefish profile image81
    Canklefishposted 14 years ago

As much as I enjoyed 'The Hurt Locker' I just don't feel like it's Best Picture worthy. I felt the same way when 'The Departed' won the award. I have nothing to back that up other than  personal opinion.

Just seemed like a sentimental pick, and perhaps the 'right thing to do?'

5. Ann Nonymous profile image61
    Ann Nonymousposted 14 years ago

Just stopping in to take a peek at what everyone is saying...I know, I know, I am being too curious! Interesting thread going on, Steven, and everyone else posting!

1. profile image0

thanks ann.  i appreciate you saying that.  your more than welcome to post your opinions here too.  smile

1. Ann Nonymous profile image61
        Ann Nonymousposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Really I have no opinions on the matter...AMAZING, huh?
        But I have to wonder in regards to dresscode......what were some of them thinking?!?!?! lol ha ha ha ha..Oh the pressure of glamour! lol!
        Anyways cheers to the winners!

1. profile image0

lol.  yeah, i'm often surprised too by what these celebrities wear these days; particulary the actresses.  However, i guess when your rich and famous, people like to dress fancier to show off their status.  never understood it to be honest, as i know I would never change if i was suddenly to come into money like that.

Same here,.....although I wouldn't mind a chef on call 24/7 with worldwide culinary skills....(sigh)

1. profile image0

lol.  same here.  i guess its true what  they say about great minds thinking alike. wink lol plus, i wouldn't mind having the freedom to travel whenever and wherever i wanted, as that's always been my dream to travel the world. smile

Now you are talking!!!!...and no, I do not want to be like Travolta or Gore having my own jet...just a nice sum of money to travel the world....(double sigh!)

1. profile image0

yeah, same here.  what places would you want to go if you could travel the world?

oh, wow...Uh, Germany, England, Australia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Italy, Specifically Rome, Take a safari in Africa, stop back in europe in Ireland. Then find some lost jewels that my Uncle always talks about in Russia, and then brazil to take in some soccer with my dad. Then maybe I'll hit all fifty states...And the list goes on....
                    You?

6. profile image0

who are you looking for grace? if you don't mind me asking.

7. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

I was happy that an Irish man got an award for Avatar - helps the small industry here smile

8. Dee Dee MonSherie profile image61
    Dee Dee MonSherieposted 14 years ago

Good nite all, Iquess I came late to the Party???  Stevennix I read your review of the Academy Awards, did you have a chance to Hit mine?  I can't believe we wrote on the same subject and yet came out with such different results!  LOL!big_smile

1. profile image0

nope, i didn't realize you wrote on this years awards, but i'll definitely read it right now though.  smile sorry for missing it.

9. profile image0

wow, it looks like you did a great job dee dee. thanks for the read.  smile

1. Dee Dee MonSherie profile image61
      Dee Dee MonSherieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I adore your style and all your reviews, your opinion means so much to me Mon Cheri'.  cool

1. profile image0

aaaawww thanks dee dee.  that means a lot to me coming from such a lovely lady as yourself.  wink cool

i always liked your style of writing too.  especially the steamy poetry you write sometimes. wink

10. profile image0

hey dee dee, if your reading this, i just want to say it was great talking to you, and i hope you have a great night. you take care okay. smile

11. jellydonut25 profile image59
    jellydonut25posted 14 years ago

i have mixed feelings on the oscars:
    christoph walz was completely deserving of his award. good for him. Mo'Nique I also have no complaints whatsoever about.
    then we get to a couple of the technical awards I have issue with...i just personally feel like "Of COURSE Avatar's effects LOOK the best, it had a $300 million budget! But does that mean it DESERVES that award?" i'm not 100% sure it does...I would have LIKED to see District 9 get that one...I'm also miffed that D9 didn't win for editing...

I personally would have gone with Renner for Best Actor - Jeff Bridges just played HIMSELF...not a whole lot of ACTING going on...

I also would personally have gone with Inglourious Basterds - but I get it, the Academy looks at Tarantino's past and says "oooh, we cant give it to THAT guy..." but i feel like the Academy does that all too often...it should be about THAT year and sometimes, i feel like they give out Oscars based on CAREER

12. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

I was so hoping to like Inglorious Bastards but was disappointed

13. Megavitamin profile image70
    Megavitaminposted 14 years ago

I was elated that Avatar didn't win Best Picture.  It made staying up late on a work night worth it!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)