HELP !!!! POET IN NEED OF HELP !!!

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)
  1. keiz profile image59
    keizposted 14 years ago

hey guyss !
    -- so yeah I know your like she must be in desperate need of help and I am ; so I've just published a new poetry book and I only had 5 buyers ; thats bad because Im not a bad writer at all I just do not know anyone at all and I only know another fellow poet other than myself ; so I need ways to market my book . I tried facebook but the individuals on my page are the wrong target market; they're young kids like myself who are only interested in partying and other such things and would rather spend their money on something that will not last them over a day . So Ive been sitting here trying to make a plan and nothing at all is coming up; any ideas? any tips ? I really need it ! Please and THANK YOU VERY MUCH if you have any helpful input to this problem!

1. profile image0
      china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Poetry is not especially popular as a subject I would think.  Apart from the help that Earnestshub posted recently (on a thread from Dale Mazurick I think) about ebooks and how to promote them - if you only know one other poet you could put your best on here and let the natives shred it for you.

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image70
    Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years ago

I can't really say how to promote a book on poetry. But try using adwords for the promotion, it might work if you target the right keywords and Geo locations.

Best of luck with your book! smile

1. keiz profile image59
      keizposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thats a great idea!! Thank you very much

3. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

Are you doing readings at local poetry venues?

1. keiz profile image59
      keizposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No only at the school I was located at but since you wrote that I will be attending one this weekend ! thank you

2. Ben Zoltak profile image81
      Ben Zoltakposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is probably the best suggestion. I used to go to readings and some of the poets had their books for sale. Also, you can sometimes sell them on consignment to small book stores, comic book stores and odds and ends gift shops.

Good luck!

4. Sherbet Penny profile image65
    Sherbet Pennyposted 14 years ago

Yes it is all about performance these days to sell your poetry, you might need to go to poetry reading, enter poetry slams, the more exposure you get, the better. Enter competitions online, even is you do not win, the more exposure you get, the more poetry you get out there and people start to read your work, then you will start selling books, hope this helps.

5. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

There are loads of poetry competitions, although I think many of them are scams. A genuine competition would offer a window for your work.

What about offering to do a poetry workshop and/or a reading for various groups: local library, schools (if your work is suitable), lunch clubs for elderly people, mothers' groups, etc?

Do you  have any lighter works, that could be used as warm ups in other events. I'm thinking along the lines of Les Barker of "A Cardi and Bloke" fame. Among other things, he's appeared several years in a row as the warm-up for concerts at the Welsh Folk Fiddle Festival and people love him. There was even an official petition sent to Downing Street insisting he should be named as the next Poet Laureate! He has a stall going in the interval and after the concert to sell his pamphlets and CDs and there is always a huge crowd of willing buyers.

6. Lynda Gary profile image60
    Lynda Garyposted 14 years ago

I recently purchased this book:

Red Hot Internet Publicity: An Insider's Guide to Marketing Your Book on the Internet, by Penny C. Sansevieri

Google it / her, and you'll find your way to her website where you can sign up for her newsletter.  I get it, and it's full of valuable info.

The book was $20, I believe.

7. profile image0
    Lecieposted 14 years ago

you can ask your local library if they'll put up your fliers advertising your book and how to purchase it. some local high schools may also help as well. you may even talk to them about doing a book signing. it's great publicity. go to your local mall as well. many people in your communtity will be happy to help. after all how many places have published author's that get involved? so step out there and you'll be pleasantly surprised in the response. good luck.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)