Does Obama want to ban sportfishing??

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (37 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I heard a snippet of this on the news and have been trying to ferret out the truth. It was reported by ESPN. Otherwise, all I can find about it is on right-wing and left-wing sites, and I don't trust either. The left says it's spin, and the right says it's true. One site says it's only commercial fishing he's considering banning.

Does anyone have info from a reliable, neutral source?

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I hear ya, Air!

1. Michael Willis profile image68
      Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hello Habee!
      Wow, I have not heard anything about this. I will see if I can dig anything up on this. I go to ESPN a lot for sports info, so maybe I can see if it is there.

3. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

I did some research and here is a link on the story you are looking for. This writer explains it pretty good and shows other links to this matter. It is from mediamatter.com

Obama to Ban Sport Fishing?
    http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/images/item/gatewaypundit-20100309-obamabanfishing.jpg

4. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Good Lord, Is there anyplace this man wom't stick that big ugly nose.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64
      Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ohma and Habee, you need a bullshit detector!

http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/04/bullshit.jpg

Love that BS Button Ralph.

I was bewildered when I first saw Habee's post on this. There was an article for some reason posted on the sport fishing ban by Obama on ESPN. Then it took a life on it's own as many rumors do.  Especially in politics.

I read a few article onlines and the link I posted gives an explanation on some of the rumors and why they are there.

2. wyanjen profile image71
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Owners of gun stores who have had record sales since the election HATE this button.

This is not as far out of right field as the death panels were, but it's bullshit just the same.

5. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I think this might be a reaction to the studies being done to estimate the amount of fish left to fish. Where I live on Cape Cod this is an ongoing controversey because of the impact that it has on our commercial fisherman.

The dispute is about how many fish are left and if the supply is so low will continued fishing take certain species below the level to reproduce.

But it's hard to tell from the article. But I guess in areas where there is a lot of sport fishing it might be similar.

But just a guess on my part.

6. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Mr. Deeds, I thought that was your function on HP?

Were you to actually READ my initial post, perhaps you would have understand that I was trying to discover the truth - not the spin from the left OR the right.

Habee, I understood that. But the truth should have been obvious. Hence your need for a bullshit detector button. :-)

And I have no function on HP although I do find myself frequently trying with little success to perform that function. Please don't refer to me as Mr. Deeds.  Ole Ralph is just fine.

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, I didn't believe the Patriot Act was true, either, but it was. Then when Rachel Maddow said that Obama had expanded and extended it, I didn't think that was possible, but I was wrong again. I think our government is capable of just about anything!

1. kirstenblog profile image77
          kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am so out of touch! I have not heard that Obama has expanded and extended the Patriot Act yikes
          I am a little surprised its not been on the news here in the UK, maybe I have missed those stories hmm

1. profile image0
            EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not surprised at all.  Until very recently there has been little reporting on Obama in the UK, other than uncritically positive stuff (unless I missed it - I can't read newspapers or watch the news on TV these days without my blood pressure going through the roof, because most of it's either (a) inaccurate and/or (b) biased.  Or it misses stuff out altogether).

People were very ready to criticise the Bush administration here in the UK.  And I was one of the critics, and still am.  But you have to wonder whether there's something a little fishy going on when Obama continues in the same vein as Bush, but doesn't get any flak in the British media for it.

I mean forcryingoutloud, Obama won the Nobel Peace prize in the same week as it was announced that he was sending thousands more troops to Afghanistan.  WTF?  And yet nobody in the British media batted an eyelid.

1. kirstenblog profile image77
              kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Guess its not so hard to see how I got out of the loop smile
              Maybe the UK media still thinks of Obama as a strong symbol and doesn't want to tarnish that hmm

2. profile image0
          ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yer right Habee and if we don't watch out they'll make you skinny and I will really be pissed. No more great recipes. I am being selfish I know. But I love ya just as you are. big_smile We need to ride that zip line!

7. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

I hope not. It sounds like an interesting Sport. smile

8. MikeNV profile image69
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Will no doubt tie funding for elementary schools to a ban sport fishing bill to push it through.

You can't eat the fish anyways they are now so contaminated with mercury.

To date, 33 states have issued fish consumption advisories because of mercury contamination

Sit back and enjoy... while the human race kills themselves off.

Nothing has happened yet... just speculation on what "might" happen.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and- … 2473.story

9. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Thanks, for that, Mike. Don't all the states already have limits? I know FL and GA do. And my family eats fish caught in these 2 states often. Here, it's only the larger fish that have high levels of merury, and among those, it's only ones caught in certain tidal rivers. Even these are safe to eat once per week or so, depending on the species and where it was caught.

I don't know what I would do if I didn't have my Catfish to eat here. lol I enjoy river fish.

10. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

Toldjaso!

1. habee profile image92

Told me what, RD? You said you didn't know anything about it!

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The first word uttered out of my mouth was the same as on Ralph's button!  But you are correct that I said I had not heard about it.

I've warned you about listening to Fox News 24/7!  LOL

1. habee profile image92

Listening to FOX 24/7? Ummm...you have me confused with my husband. He's the one without the boobs.

It's a good thing too!  There are too many boobs around there anyway!  HA!

1. habee profile image92

You should know all about rubes, RD...um, I mean boobs.

11. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Bugger!
    And the fishing in New Zealand will continue to be so awesome! smile
    You guys will have to take up Fish Slapping instead. hmm

1. profile image0
      china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

NZ is high on my list of places to visit and almost ONLY for the fishing !

I want to come and river fly fish for Rainbows or Steelheads or other migratories I think they are otherwise called - this anything you do ?

12. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 14 years ago

I freakin' hope it gets banned.

1. Sab Oh profile image55
      Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You hope fishing gets banned?

13. Ralph Deeds profile image64
    Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

This is a silly discussion about a ridiculous question. There is no likelihood that sport fishing will be banned. Sport fishermen are nearly all supporters of regulations designed to preserve fish populations so that they may continue to enjoy their sport. Commercial fishing, not sport fishing, is what poses a danger to ocean fish populations such as cod and bluefin tuna.

14. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Wow, Mr. Deeds - we agree on something! It is commercial fishing that's reducing the fish populations.

BUT, as for its being a ridiculous question, as a teacher, I believe there is no such think as a ridiculous question!

15. Pandoras Box profile image61
    Pandoras Boxposted 14 years ago

Michelle Malkin is spreading this stuff. Need I say more?

Nope!

16. Bill's Ideas profile image60
    Bill's Ideasposted 14 years ago

Right wing - Left wing, I do not care. All I know I feel like my rights are being taken away, and it has been by both parties. I am getting sick of it; I heard something about a ban on fishing. What I understand he is trying do is put restricting on what you can do on government land and he is buying up private land and that is where the ban on fishing came from. If he buys up private land, then unless it becomes a national park or something like that then you will not have access to it that is where it became known as a ban on fishing. Because you would not have access to land that we were able to fish before. This is what it is all about, you know that the government owns most of the western US and all of our oil that we have there will never be used. I think this is a tragedy. We have enough oil there to last us for over 100 years without buying anything from the Far East. I think we should be able to tap it and use it, to help us get to where we can find another source of fuel and get off oil some day. Solar is good but we do not have enough to get any where with it yet. Going Green is good but we have to have some other sources of power as well, wind is good but what happens if the wind does not blow then no power. So the green idea is good, but we need other sources of power and we do not have it that is why we still need oil.

That sounds like an urban legend. Obama has a lot more things to worry about than sport fishing.

17. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Charlie, you are awesome!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)