How to calculate keyword density

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Jule Romans profile image94
    Jule Romansposted 14 years ago

Is there a good way to calculate keyword density on WORD?  Or do I just need to estimate based on every 100 words?

2. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

Now I think this is worth a hub from mywebs.... why dont you ask her the question and get her to write a hub for you?

1. MyWebs profile image79
      MyWebsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What makes you think I'm a her? lol

Sorry but I'm a man. Makes me wonder what I've done to give you the impression I'm a chick? Hmmmm

Ok I do admit panties do feel awfully nice at times, just kidding. tongue

Give me a minute and I'll post some keyword density tools that will check a hub or web page automatically for you.

1. profile image0
        shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh well... in that case I will send you some panties if you really like them!

Maybe I get that impression because you are in touch with your feminine side? hehehe  Who is your feminine side anyway? lol

Well, you can never tell around here, can you?  Look at Poppa! I wonder how many lude remarks he gets?!

I mean would a pinky red sky be considered male or female?  Whatever, I accept you as you are!  big_smile

x

1. Lynda Gary profile image60
          Lynda Garyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL ... I thought he was a he, so when I read the "she" comment before continuing down the thread, I was thrown for a second.  It didn't have anything to do with his pic, either.  It was his voice.

3. Jule Romans profile image94
    Jule Romansposted 14 years ago

AWESOME. Thanks.  I agree, a hub on the topic would be nice, too.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wrote a hub that included a tool to do that. smile Keyword density is harder to establish from inside hubpages, as most tools will not get to your hub, but stop at hubpages.com. smile

4. MyWebs profile image79
    MyWebsposted 14 years ago

Someone posted this one earlier today in the forums and I like it the best as it gives other useful information too:
    http://www.articleunderground.com/webma … -tool.html

The rest all do basically the same thing, and I had no trouble getting any to work on one of my hubs. Sadly though each one came up with a different keyword count.

http://www.webtoolhub.com/tn561367-keyw … ecker.aspx
    http://www.iwebtool.com/keyword_density
    http://www.webmaster-toolkit.com/keywor … tool.shtml
    http://www.webconfs.com/keyword-density-checker.php

I got into a long forum discussion yesterday with another hubber about keywords and such. I really don't worry about keyword density much.

My belief is that if your really focused on "XYZ" then you will naturally use that keyword phrase enough naturally to rank well for it if you also have it in your Title, and URL along with proper back-linking work.

If anything I would use one of the keyword density tools to make sure I'm not using a keyword too many times so it doesn't appear spammy, which is a very bad thing.

Different people focus on different aspects of SEO and no one really knows exactly whats in Google's secret sauce, besides a select few insiders.

1. Jule Romans profile image94
      Jule Romansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I read that  discussion too! I tried article underground today.  I found that a couple of the things it didn't like are things that are out of my control in hubs (I think)

I've been using a mix of  keyword  searching and natural writing.

Yes many of the things it flags like meta-keywords, robots, author, too many URL's we don't have no control over. none of those are important though.

Google has ignored Meta-Keywords for years due to webmaster abuse. Many other search engines also ignore it, and the ones that do use it are not worth worrying about as they are so small to not matter much imo.

5. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 14 years ago

I don't calculate keyword density. I write my articles for humans, not search engines. And despite that I still get search engine traffic.

The strangest thing I've seen is the keyword stuffing of the same phrase three or more times into the opening sentence. That there is the mark of an rank amateur and an idiot.

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe some people just haven't quite 'got it' yet.  We cant all be as clever as you and you are clever Glen!

1. darkside profile image65
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The good news is people don't have to be clever in the ways of SEO to calculate a formula. They just have to make an effort to write good.

Write so it reads naturally.

6. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 14 years ago

Same here darkside, keyword density used to be work 10 years ago when you wrote a page for each search engine, thankfully these days are gone. The page has to be self descriptive but that’s going to come about if you write naturally anyway.

IMO onpage factors, including keyword density, play little in how a page ranks. I would rather use content to better encourage sales, leads, opt-ins or whatever the page is attempting to achieve and use links to drive rankings.

7. profile image0
    JeanMeriamposted 14 years ago

I read somewhere that if you have over 5% or more of any one keyword the search engines will ignore you for keyword stuffing, so it really doesn't pay to overdo.

I don't know if 5% is a correct number, but too many of a keyword is defiantly very bad and will get your page buried on banned from search engines. What constitutes "too many" is open to interpretation.

Hidden text, white text on white background, hiding text off page, and showing GoogleBot different content than normal users see will all get you banned as well.

8. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

It is all a mystery and a lottery really.  Hey ho... whatever! This SEO can drive you nuts! lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)