What is your favorite era in history?

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (61 posts)
  1. megan_elizabeth profile image61
    megan_elizabethposted 14 years ago

Personally, I love the 1850s-early 1900s, particularly the Civil War era. There are so many fascinating ways of life, and it provides a glimpse into the division and afterwards unity of the United States of America!

1. drej2522 profile image68
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Civil War and Reconstruction was definitely an interesting part of American History. Currently, I'm reading Grant's memoirs. It's a great read. However, as far as U.S. History is concerned, my favorite era would have to be the colonial time period.

1. profile image50
        mad0racleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I personally am disgusted at that whole business. After Abe Lincoln was killed everything changed... for the worse. Compromise of 1877 is a testament to that fact. Flipping Republicans.... turned into the antebellum south they did... tisk tisk. Still going on today amazingly..

2. profile image0
      konrelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like the simplicity of clothing and the close family ties back in 1800s. Today Many families do not spend enough time and prayer togeather. The children in cities are growing up on the streets and behind their computers playing role games. What are those games teaching them about love and respectt? I have viewed some and it scares me to think what is being fed into their young impressionable minds. Seems back in the 1800 and befor, there were close family ties and most children all grew up with honor and respect.

3. Origin profile image61
      Originposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For those that like the 1836-1920 range there is a video game (can't help it, I'm a gamer lol) out there called Victoria, it's by Paradox. It's basically a simulation game based on countries (you run a country) where you focus on internal management, diplomacy, religion, social/political, etc. It's complex market system is described as being one of the best market simulations ever made. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_%28game%29

Anyhow, that just stuck out in my mind after I reading that people like that period. Hehe.

My favorite time period is the ancient period of Rome and Greece. Runner-up is probably the medieval period, anywhere from 10th centry to the 18th century. I've always loved history!

4. Almost Chemist profile image60
      Almost Chemistposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love the World War II era because I don't have to live in it.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

I kind of like the one where I am alive.
    While all ages are fascinating, I'd sure hate to be without plumbing.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Any era that had electricity smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Benjamin Franklin had electricity.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Did anyone else? smile

1. blondepoet profile image66
          blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thomas Edison lol. smile

Did he have plumbing?

I am not sure about plumbing lol.
              I am positive he did the light bulb, phonograph and other things in electric lighting. smile

2. AEvans profile image71
              AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think so, lololo big_smile

4. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

I just love looking at the hippy fashion from the late 60's to 70's.
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/969183_f496.jpg

I loved the dresses in Gone With The Wind the day of the corset. I mean I don't think I would really want to wear one day in and day out, but I loved those big dresses with the little waists and big bustles, such a feminine look. I will save my corset for special ocassions. smile

5. mod2vint profile image60
    mod2vintposted 14 years ago

Ancient Greece and Rome my favorite to study.

6. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

The middle ages - just before the Renaissance. Knights, castles, and ladies fair.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think the middle ages would be very smelly smile

Plus I don't think pegs were invented yet to put on your nose.

2. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, UW - but you'd be so used to it, you wouldn't notice!

7. Sally's Trove profile image80
    Sally's Troveposted 14 years ago

The Romans had plumbing.

If I could choose, it would be in the Victorian era, either here in the US or in the UK. Lots of graces and proprieties, where the social rules were clear and nobody fixated on self-esteem as some kind of a birthright that's supposed to entitle some kind of privilege.

Lots of other reasons, but that could be a Hub.

8. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

World War Two era, love the music of that time

9. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

i agree with the ladies who picked the 60s, the Civil War era and the Renaissance age...mostly for the fashions. i love the clothes from all of those eras. i often wish i could have been a been a beatnik. or a hippie. free love with no consequences, traveling around the country with other instant friends and lovers, that would be pretty groovy all right.

10. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Some interesting things I learned while studying makeup all for the sake of beauty;
    Women in Cleopatra's day wore sheep blood as nail polish and lipstick.
    It was normal for women to bind a steak to their face and wear it overnight as a face mask.
    Crocodile excrement was also a popular mask.

That white face look popular in Victorian age was often the result of applying mercury to the face, a dangerous chemical that killed a lot of women.
    Victorian women obtained the red cheek look by pinching their cheeks so hard they went bright red.

Oh those ancient Egptians! When I was researching for a hub on tooth paste I found that they used ground up ox hooves, pulverized snail shells and hippo entrails to promote dental hygiene.

They were a crazy bunch really!!! smile

1. DavitosanX profile image61
          DavitosanXposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, that's better than no dental hygiene at all (like in Victorian times)

2. kephrira profile image59
        kephriraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

mmmm tasty

Wonder if they had any mint flavored entrails?

3. iantoPF profile image80
        iantoPFposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What they put in todays hamburgers isn't much different.

I'm a medieaval kind of guy. You only washed twice in your life, once when you were born and again when you died. Food and drink were to be eaten and enjoyed. Work was hard, songs were lusty, beer was strong and a good woman was lusty and strong.
        Yes those were the days.

4. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep, that's the era when we all meet smile

11. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

12. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

um, i'd stick with the here and now.  couldn't handle all the discrimination & crap against people cuz of who they couldn't choose to be.

now, if we are talking strictly fashion, i'd go with civil war era - but i would NOT wear them!!  lol

13. CrystalStarWoman profile image58
    CrystalStarWomanposted 14 years ago

I've always been fascinated by Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn - I'm sure I was 'around' at that time... and I'm pretty sure I was beheaded wink

I've visited Hever Castle too and felt very much at home there!

14. kephrira profile image59
    kephriraposted 14 years ago

For me it would be Elizabethan times. The world was opening up and it was the high point of the age of exploration. I would have loved to have been an explorer going off the edge off the map. The Virgin Queen was a fascinating character too.

15. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 14 years ago

Ive gotta go with blondepoet, music and cars were nicer back in 60's n 70's big_smile

1. Isabelle22 profile image61
      Isabelle22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love that era too. Something free about it too. smile

16. Trish_M profile image79
    Trish_Mposted 14 years ago

I love the medieval period, but I can get excited about any historic time, once once I get immersed in it. smile

1. profile image0
      Norah Caseyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My favorite topic is the Black Death and the entire time period that surrounds it (this has become a joke amongst some HP staff members at the office).

The plague had a huge impact on Europe that still resonates today. I had the good fortune to read some translated primary documents from 14th century witness/victims of the pandemic, and it really changed my perspective on all historical study.

17. mikelong profile image61
    mikelongposted 14 years ago

The antebellum period of American history is one of my favorites....nothing like a little William Walker to start the day!

18. profile image0
    Jared in Vegasposted 14 years ago

I agree with readytoescape, WWII is definitely my favorite. The whole world changed afterward and lead to amazing technological advances including the jet engine. Plus, you had to have guts then. Did anyone watch the first episode of "The Pacific?" It was intense.  I don't think I could have done it.

19. Jeff Berndt profile image72
    Jeff Berndtposted 14 years ago

I enjoy learning about pretty much all eras in history, but every time I learn about an era, it spoils my romantic ideal of said era. The more I learn, the more it gets spoiled.

For example, I like studying the period up to, during, and immediately following the American Revolution. Figure on the end of the Seven Years' War (or French-and-Indian War, depending on where you're from) on up to the War of 1812. It's amazing how much bunkum I used to believe about this period, and how much said bunkum is still being represented as fact by those who ought to know better.

But studying this period (primary sources, not just what modern historians have written) has made me very sensitive to modern American politicians and pundits who try to co-opt the writings of the framers of the Constitution to support their own agendas. I highly recommend that every American who aspires to be politically aware should read as much of the framers' writings as possible. Most of their extant public writings and a lot of their private correspondence is public record and available in bound volumes at your local library.

20. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I love all things Renaissance and Hippy era (is that a real era, or just a "time")  and they are so alike, and that's why

21. Seazoria profile image60
    Seazoriaposted 14 years ago

This is most like the only respondant to specify this particular time era. 540 million years ago marked the end of the precambrian era. This little known time period actually produced the most advanced forms of life ever discovered. This is also the time period of the legendary mythical prehistoric sea dragons. I work with a scientific research project that is currently studdying and excavating very large Seazoria dragon remains. To work around prehistoric sea dragons some 300 feet long with 10 ft skull and teeth 3 feet long is a rush. Sometimes it hard to believe you are working on real dragons. But there they are right in front of your eyes. My favorite is excavating the skulls. the teeth from the Seazori dragons are ultra spectacular.  The level of evolution is amazing.This is a major advancement in the science of paleontology

1. Jeff Berndt profile image72
      Jeff Berndtposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Did they breathe fire? If not, then I'm going back to my D&D game! lol.

22. goldenpath profile image67
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

An immensely pivotal point in history was the late 70's and early 80's when Roto Rooter had their classic commercial airing.  It rocked!  It brought the plumbing industry out of darkness and into the sweet smelling light of day! smile

23. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

I'm fascinating by Ancient Greece and the Renaissance, two periods when humanity wasn't afraid to question things and the thirst for knowledge and self-expression were high (like they are now).

1. profile image0
      Norah Caseyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Never mind this knowledge and self-expression business, the Renaissance gave us smoked turkey legs and pointy women's hats! I learned this at the Renaissance fair, so it must be true.

24. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 14 years ago

I have always been interested in the second world war 1939 to 1945 and earlier when hitler came to power in 1933, I think that there is still things to learn from that time that will shape our future.

25. Bibowen profile image88
    Bibowenposted 13 years ago

Colonial America because it was the era that gave us Washington, Henry, Jefferson, the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.

26. christopheranton profile image64
    christopherantonposted 13 years ago

I wish I had been around in early twentieth Europe. Then I might have done something to help avert world war one, and the extinction of everything that I loved about that era.
    Europe has never really been right since.

27. humagaia profile image58
    humagaiaposted 13 years ago

There are no era's that I cold call favourite if I was anything other than a member of the elite classes as every one of them was dreadful in one way or another for 99% of the population. The other 1% had it pretty bad too but at least they had a choice as to what they could do about it. The era's don't matter so much without specifying a location. What was a great era in one place was the exact opposite in another.
    We all make the mistake of wearing rose-tinted glasses and accepting the history that is written by the victor's of conflicts. I like to see it from the other side. That is the fascination of history, the telling of the tale as seen from a particular viewpoint - did the American television networks pick up on Das Boot?
    And we all remember things from our own histories that didn't happen. So don't believe all you read about any era. Pick the one that has the best story teller's - that will be the best.

1. Transformtruly profile image59
      Transformtrulyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

my favorite  era in history and im sure its a lot of others feel the same way the election of OBAMA  first black president

28. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 13 years ago

I happen to like all eras and find them all fascinating. My high school World History teacher infected me with a love of history by concentrating on motivation rather than dates. Bless her!

I love today when Obama is the first president of mixed racial background (some people say he's black, but what about his mother?). I love the renaissance, the days of Socrates in Ancient Greece, the moments when Peter walked on water with his teacher, and the Age of Reason.

If I had to choose, I'd be curious to see what 9600 BC looked like. Was Plato telling us the truth when he said that Atlantis was a true story? We have proof of an Atlantis-like event occurring 9620 BC. We also have genetic proof that an extended family on both sides of the Atlantic was separated about the same time.

It gives me goosebumps to consider that a Dark Age could last longer than our current history. Discovery of direct proof of Atlantis would change our perception of humanity forever, if the place was real.

29. DavitosanX profile image61
    DavitosanXposted 13 years ago

I'll go with Roman times, but in the republic era, when it was more democratic. It's curious how the Roman lifestyle seems a lot more civilized than that of the post-Rome age (middle ages). They had the aqueducts, roads to every province, scientific medicine. If you think about it, they're government structure is basically the same that we have now!

1. Falsor Wing profile image60
      Falsor Wingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's why the middle ages are called the middle ages.

30. Falsor Wing profile image60
    Falsor Wingposted 13 years ago

The Third Age.

Allusions anyone?

1. errum fattah profile image61
      errum fattahposted 13 years agoin reply to this

in history i love about alexander the great, although i forgot his history but a little more, i love it.. its the only name of a person which i didn't forgot otherwise when i learn abt a person after 5 minutes i can't remember tht who's tht person...( am just talking abt the historical people).

1. outdoorsguy profile image61
        outdoorsguyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

actually LOL  some civs as far back as 4500 years ago had indoor plumbing.

To study I love ancient history.  Akkadian, Sumer, Hitite, macedon, Eygpt etc.   The Medevial Ages were interesting on alot of levels.    The Renessiance nice time period. 

but to live in.   late 1700's.. or the late 1800s to 1930's.

31. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

elizabethan times for some reason - maybe because i've read a bit of history around it and some novels based on history.  i'm sure if i thought about it longer, i'd come up with a few more eras that would be of interest.  after visiting Paris and seeing the architecture, the art etc and how some of the streets were planned for I think being there when Napoleon was around would have been quite interesting as well.

32. qeyler profile image61
    qeylerposted 13 years ago

I have become fascinated by the era of 1655 to 1690 with the migrations to the New World. This is the Pirate era; when Port Royal was what it was.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)