Is it ok to have an affair; positives/negatives?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (91 posts)
  1. Harvey Stelman profile image60
    Harvey Stelmanposted 14 years ago

Will this make you happy?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, never.  If someone is unhappy in their marriage, they should have the balls to leave and set up home on their own, before they mess around with someone else.

If you feel the marriage is over but you have to stay for the sake of bringing up the children, then the solution is an open relationship.  It's not an affair if your partner knows you're seeing someone else and has agreed to it.

1. starme77 profile image76
        starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well Said smile

2. manomoney profile image61
      manomoneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

its not big deal its how you take it its all depends on individual approach it has cons and pros but to deal with caution so no one hurts or loses there should be win win situation

3. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Having 'been there, done that" I can tell you that it MIGHT make you happy. My ex and I should never have married to begin with but we had children and my feeling was they needed a father. It wasn't a happy life for my ex or myself though I don't think the children were harmed that much. Eventually I ended up having an affair, and so did my ex. She then left me and the kids for a guy who ending up leaving her. The woman I had an affair with I stopped seeing as I became more active dating and eventually meeting my current wife. I'm happily married now and glad the way things turned out and my ex met someone and married too.

I will tell you this. If you're really unhappy in your current relationship and you have no desire to try and fix it, then end it. Why have an affair? It's only wasting time and preventing you from finding true happiness.

Very Good Advice here smile

1. profile image0

Thanks! The sooner you inflict the wound, the sooner it will heal.

exactly smile

4. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If someone isn't happy in his marriage he should either get out, figure out a way to be happier, or else accept that as long he's in the marriage he'll have to live with not being happy. 

I might be happier if I decided not to pay my bills and instead buy a bunch a fun stuff for myself, but it wouldn't be right or wise.

There's something to be said for just doing what's right and being a person who can be trusted.  Your life is simpler, your conscience is clearer, and any happiness you do carve out for yourself isn't at the expense of someone else.

2. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

No.

3. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

i can't speak for everyone here, but speaking only for myself......NO!   I would never cheat on my girl friend/wife as that's just wrong.

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Is it okay to have an affair, positives/negatives.

There are no positives to an affair, only negative things can come from it.

5. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Have to admit that for me the one positive was/is my husband of 30 years. Our relationship started as an affair and here we are today but to his credit his ex was/is a complete looney tune.

6. susanlang profile image60
    susanlangposted 14 years ago

My answer is No.

7. samboiam profile image61
    samboiamposted 14 years ago

Is it ok to have an affair; positives/negatives?

Is it okay to hurt your partner?

Is it okay to destroy trust?

Is it okay to allow a few minutes of pleasure to ruin the lives of others?

8. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Affairs are exciting !

1. samboiam profile image61
      samboiamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree they may be exciting but at what cost.

1. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No cost if you know how to do it

No cost to every single person involved?  Really?  How do you achieve that?  Maybe there's a Hub in this?

Easy ! Don't get too involved. And know how to keep secrets !

2. samboiam profile image61
          samboiamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To each his own.

9. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

although affairs might have their advantages, i think  the cons outweigh far more than any of the positives can put up with it. besides, why would you risk putting a relationship in jeopardy over a few brief moments of pleasure?

Sometimes we're not so in love.
      And I'm never the one with a relationship

Do you speak to the wife and check that the guy is telling the truth about them both being "not so in love"?

If not, how do you know?

For me, affairs are only for fun.
          If a guy is willing and I find him attractive, I'll go for it.
          It's not my business what he does with his life.

I'm free and do whatever I like.
          And no, I'm not a husband robber. Men that feel free to have an affair are not  any woman's property.

Men are never any woman's property, are they?  It's not a question of property.  It's a question of trust.  If two people have committed to something, then they should be able to trust that they'll both live up to that commitment.  If one party changes his (or her) mind, then they should be honest enough to admit it, not go behind their partner's back.

I wouldn't call you a husband robber, because the husband has free will.  But you can't be so naive as to think an affair hurts no one.

If the third party never finds out, nobody's hurt. Of course I'm talking of 'affairs' only. Not secret relationships, lasting ages.
              Affairs that last few days, or affairs with the same 'friend'  once in a while.
              Who can get hurt ?

1. Valerie F profile image61
                Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So is a promise to remain faithful not broken only if the person to whom such a promise was made never finds out?

And what would you see in the sort of person who breaks a promise he made to stay true to another for life?

What promise ??
                  That's childish !
                  And a lot of people who are in relationships, have never made 'eternal' promises of love.

Marriage vows are promises, and even among unmarried couples, promises to keep the relationship exclusive are made and often taken as a given. Open relationships are the exception, not the norm!

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

Have you ever heard the marriage vows?  Most people do make "eternal" promises when they get married.  Of course, some people don't really mean it - but a lot of people do, and believe that their partner means it too, otherwise they wouldn't be getting married or even moving in together.

As Megs said:

"The thing is, thinking of consequences and being able to understand what our actions will do to someone else is a gift that we are given once reaching maturity.  We know we will hurt people, we know that we are taking a huge risk and we know that it will inevitably end in heartbreak, not only for the ones we cheat on, but for the cheaters as well.

Those who think affairs can have any positive effect are probably still stuck in adolescence where 'me' and 'I' trump everything else."

Pretty much sums it up.  One day, when you commit to someone and he f**ks with your loyalty, you may think differently.

3. profile image50
                    neek13posted 13 years agoin reply to this

@tantrum so long as your happy knowing that your other half could be copping it bigger and better right now with a stranger (or your best mate) then you is ok then go for it, but remember if your doing it most likely they are too. also if your mates have a clue you do it they may never tell your partner but their usually the first to screw around with them.

2. darkside profile image66
              darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I met someone like Tantrum once. She was French. A friend of my wife's. She didn't understand my or your point of view either.

Why should anyone have to understand your point of view ?
                I don't.
                And I don't see you understanding mine! LOL!

You're too short-minded for my taste.

2. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

that's true too. if that's the case, i think it's better for the couple to talk it out first and in the worst case scenario, just break up with them.  it's far better  than lying to their face about it.  i wasn't talking about you by the way, i was just adding another comment to the forum.  i apologize if it seemed that way.

anyway, i'm kind of surprised your never the one in the relationship.  you seem like a great person.  wink  heck, i think any guy would be lucky to be with you, so i'm sure you'll meet someone special someday.

thanks Steve!
          But I don't think I want to meet someone special just right now ! lol

1. profile image0

lol fair enough.  I'm not looking for anyone at the moment either.  although if i was i wouldn't mind hooking up with a girl like Beth100 sometime.  she's everything i look for in a gal. wink lol

WE know that, don't we ?? big_smile

lol

1. profile image0

oh yeah. i guess it was rather obvious. lollol

10. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

Sometimes women have affairs to liven up an otherwise dead relationship with the person they are supposed to be with. Sometimes it works.
    Other times it doesn't.

11. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

people who subscribe to the "what my lover's spouse doesn't know won't hurt" and who say no one gets hurt from affairs forget about stuff like STDs, unwanted pregnancies, and shattered families, not to mention a trail of broken hearts roll

they are just as accountable as their married partner.

Well said, Cosette!

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile thanks Marisa. it's just how i feel...

2. Valerie F profile image61

That, and any "other" woman or man is selling him or herself short by settling for "relationships" with known liars and cheats.

1. profile image0

i concur! why would anyone want to be involved in any way with someone who could cheat and lie so easily.

i have witnessed firsthand the destructive fallout from people hopping into bed with married people.

they pride themselves on their openness and "free spiritedness". i wonder if they are open books with their children as well. let's say they are...and their adult child's spouse cheats on them with a "free-wheeling", single person. would they still be proud of their actions and able to justify it so easily?

or would they realize the damage they do when they see the hurt and anguish in the eyes of someone they love?

what IS an affair anyway? it is meeting someone on the sly who is lying to his wife and going to some seedy hotel to get naked and screw, then go home.

wooHOO

i know THAT sounds like a great way to spend your life roll

1. Faybe Bay profile image64
          Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Happy Saint Patrick's Day! lol

12. aliraza786 profile image57
    aliraza786posted 14 years ago

whear your frount side

13. Harvey Stelman profile image60

I don't think everyone here is answering honestly. I appreciate the answers of Tantrum; now be better be honest.

Saying you par take in this is great evidence for the spouse.

1. profile image0

so by your logic, your saying unless someone says that having an affair is good, then they're lying? 

look, i can't speak for everyone here. However, i can honestly say that i did answer honestly when i said affairs were wrong and that i would never do it.  The reason being is, unlike yourself, I never had a steady relationship with any woman.  In fact, the longest relationship I've had was about about a month, and girls often ignore me in real life.  therefore, if i did have a girl friend, i would do NOTHING that could potentially screw it up.  (i.e. cheating on her) 

however, your more than welcome to say what you want, and think that I'm lying.  Even though I know in my heart, I'm not. 

eta:  plus, another thing I would like to ask since you think everyone that's against affairs is lying, then why even open up a thread at all asking people for their opinions on it?  I mean, you already have a predetermined mindset of what EVERYONE here believes, so why bother asking? Is it just to appease a guilty conscience or something? Or to reconfirm your own beliefs? Seriously, I would really like to know.  I"m sorry if this offends you anyway at all. However, the logic your using just baffles me.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

Harvey, I'm trying to decide whether to take offense at that.

I've decided that I feel sorry for you - if you have such a poor opinion of humanity that you think no one can have enough integrity not to cheat on their spouse. 

I can honestly say I've never knowingly dated a married man, and I never would.  I know how it feels having a husband cheat on you and I'd never put another woman through that grief.

Harvey Stelmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Marisa,

I beg for your forgivness. I actually meant; if you said you were against affairs, I can understand anyone saying this but if you are for it you wouldn't put in print. I singled out Tantrum because being single makes the question easier to answer. Wouldn't you agree with that?

I can make-up and write a great story about this, in fact I think I will.

3. Black Lilly profile image61
      Black Lillyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You ask whether it's ok to have an affair?

The answer is yes. Why not? If you feel you need it, if you understand the possible consequences (or choose not to understand them - this is also an option), then why not?
      You might hurt someone. It's also ok - sometimes relationships hurt. Especially when they're at the stage where you WANT an affair and you're open to it. This simply means your relationship is already broken, just you're too blind not to see it.
      On the other hand, you never know - maybe that someone who you're cheating on has already cheated on you, just you don't know it.

Main disadvantage is that affairs tend to leave some footprint on your own self (in case nobody finds out) or it may end in a hurricane (obviously).
      Affairs also tend to have a short life, whatever the ending. Will you stay with someone who has blinded you enough with their attention, passion, etc? Most of the times you won't.
      When you realize that.. Well, those who were hurt move on. That's human nature, that's how our brain works - we tend to forget bad things. Yes, it might be hard at first, but life goes on.
      The cheater most of the times is not hurt. But he/she is in a way addicted to the situation, used to that hiding and adrenalin, excitement and similar feelings. And that addiction is a slow burn. When the affair situation is resolved, this addiction leaves you with a terrible feeling of emptiness, sometimes hopelessness or despair.
      This is the worst part. How bad it is depends on the way situation resolves, but in all cases it's hard to handle.
      Even if nobody ever learns about your affair - that's why I said it leaves a footprint on your own self.

Conclusion that I've made from long years of cheating - affairs happen, they're natural, but it's better to be hurt than to cheat.

Hope that answers the question.

4. tantrum profile image60

lol

I'm amazed at the Hypocrisy.
      A lot of people cheats or have been cheated , at least once.
      All of us have been tempted at least once in our lifetime .

And I'm not going to say anything, but I know at least one people posting here that had 'internet cheating affairs', or because she/he told me so, or because I saw it on another site !

So, pleasseee !!!!!! don't make me laugh ! lol

So just because a lot of people are liars and cheats, that makes it okay?

It's not about being OK or not.
          It's a fact of life.

Actually, this thread is about whether or not affairs are okay.

5. megs78 profile image60
      megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here Harvey, I'll be honest; affairs can be enticing.  when we are unhappy, they seem like they would add some spice to life and give us the butterflies that we once had.  Most people think about them at some point in their lives, if only out of boredom. 

The thing is, thinking of consequences and being able to understand what our actions will do to someone else is a gift that we are given once reaching maturity.  We know we will hurt people, we know that we are taking a huge risk and we know that it will inevitably end in heartbreak, not only for the ones we cheat on, but for the cheaters as well.

Those who think affairs can have any positive effect are probably still stuck in adolescence where 'me' and 'I' trump everything else.

if you're unhappy in a current relationship, be strong enough to get out and live unattached.

Sometimes life isn't that easy!

1. profile image0

No it's never easy. It takes courage, but ultimately it's best for everyone to move on. There is nothing to be gained by remaining in an unhappy relationship while engaging in another one. You end up trading time spent in stressful and unhappy moments for time that could be spent in happy ones, while at the same time creating unhappy moments for someone else. It's lose-lose.

2. megs78 profile image60
          megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

But the way you talk about it makes me think that it is in fact 'easy' for you.  I apologize if I've misread your posts here.

Being easy for me doesn't mean it's easy as a norm.
            I'm not the 'norm'. lol

1. profile image61
              logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And we are all very thankful for that! smile

14. profile image0

that's Harvey for you. he likes to say stuff like that. i learned to ignore him a long time ago.

cos,

If you feel that way; why are you reading and writing here? This was strictly done for fun. I'm married for 32 years and faithful, my wife is the best.

Curious: Stuff like what?

15. Mama Sez profile image63
    Mama Sezposted 14 years ago

It will never be ok with me.

16. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 14 years ago

No it is not OK to have an affair.  If you have an understanding that you can have partners outside the relationship and both people are OK with that, that is something different, but to sneak off behind the back of someone that has given you their heart and their trust and to break that trust is most certainly NOT OK.

I would even go so far as to say "open" marriages are also not good, because it allows adultery, and the hurt is no different. In fact, it is the union of people who have so low expectations of themselves and each other, they openly believe themselves incapable of marital fidelity.

Besides, relationships are complicated enough without deliberately bringing other partners into them.

17. Greek One profile image65
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

Positive:  you'll get your rocks off
    Negative:  if she finds out, you'll get your rocks cut off

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol ouch!!

2. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can count on that... LOL!

18. profile image0

oh yeah. i forgot! big_smile lol

19. profile image0

why do you assume tantrum is the only single person on this topic?

hey , I'm single too smile  and lovin it smile

2. Harvey Stelman profile image60

cos,

I never said, or made an assumption of that.  I praised her for speaking out on what people usually hide.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think most people are so liberal about their committed relationships, if they are, it shows lack of respect for both themselves and others involved.

20. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

No, honesty is the best policy, if you are in a relationship and cheat on the girl (Not talking the odd fantasy, I mean actually seriously contemplating it/doing it) then it's time to face facts that you shouldn't be in a relationship.

However if it is someone single and they start dating someone ina  relationship I don't see it as there fault, it is the responsibility of the person in a relaitionship to say 'no'.

this,

When single, go for it. she has the choice of being with you. I'm speaking of single girls.

21. Harvey Stelman profile image60

I just wrote a Hub on this topic, using my own experience.

22. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

It's ok I guess if you hate your partner because when they find out they will suffer.

sneak,

Who said anything about getting caught!

23. h.a.borcich profile image61
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

My ex was a cheater. One of his bimbo's actually came to our house looking for him. SHe had moved and changed jobs and was worried he wouldn't know how to get to her. When he came home I told him if anymore came to the house that he would find them in unmarked graves in the back yard.
    After 10 years and all the pain, I filed for divorce.
    Apparently Sandra Bullock doesn't like a cheater either. Holly

1. profile image0

i KNEW something was up with them at the Oscars. she looked really pissed at him and didn't thank him at all in her speech.

i saw that chick's Myspace page. she is definitely more Jesse's type.

haha..."unmarked graves" yikesbig_smile

2. Harvey Stelman profile image60

h.a.

That's really shitty, you did the right thing.

24. Anamika S profile image69
    Anamika Sposted 14 years ago

It's a 'No' for me. It is something my morals would never permit me to do.

Ana,

Stict to your morals.

25. H.C Porter profile image80
    H.C Porterposted 14 years ago

I suppose if you wouldn't mind your partner going off and having sex with someone while they tell you they are working late-hanging out with a friend or running late because the car is having trouble...while you wait up for them, take care of the kids and worry about them getting home safe... then an affair is fine.
    If you would be bothered-heart broken-feel betrayed and lost if you were the one being cheated on... Then no-an affair is NOT okay.
    Leave them before you cheat on them. It is easier to be dumped (even if it hurts) than to find out you weren't good enough to keep their attention-so they went somewhere else to be satisfied.
    Not only that, but with all the STD's out there- you are playing with someones health without them having an idea you are doing so. Most people in a relationship are not worried about catching a STD from someone they have been married to for 5-10-15 years...What a shame it would be if they did.

26. Paradise7 profile image70
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

Really, honestly, in REAL LIFE, most marriages DON'T stand up to an affair... on either side... they fall apart...

So what's more important?  The affair, or the marriage?  Your wife or husband and kids, or the other person?

You decide.  But you HAVE to CHOOSE!

27. Paradise7 profile image70
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

As much as people seem to want to, they can't have their cake and eat it, too....

Just life, it sucks, tooo baddddd.....

big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

28. mikicagle profile image82
    mikicagleposted 13 years ago

No, never never never never. Affairs destroy the trust in a marriage and only cause problems. If someone is that unhappy in their marriage they need to be honest about it and either fix it or leave.

1. dosborne08 profile image67
      dosborne08posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is never ok to have an affair. Just like it is never okay to strike a woman.  You walk away before it happens. If you have any respect for the person you are with you would respectfully convey the feelings you are having.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)