Should I contact my congressman?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (43 posts)
  1. N. Ramius profile image74
    N. Ramiusposted 14 years ago

As I'm not a member of the democrat party, I was wondering if it was even worth contacting my House of Representative member to try and convince him to vote no on the Health Care bill. He has already signaled his desire to vote yes and is considered a safe vote by the Dems.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If he's your congressman he represents you, no matter what your political party affiliation (or lack of affiliation).

1. livewithrichard profile image73
        livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That would be nice to believe but reality is he represents his party and will side with his party even when his constituents want something better.  Still, it's your duty to let your elected officials know where you stand on the issues.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
          Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I didn't say he would vote otherwise-- just that he technically represents the people in his district.

2. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes! You MUST call and let him know that he shouldn't trade YOUR freedom for another's benefit!

3. tony0724 profile image59
      tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It Is always good to contact your congressperson. I contact mine all the time. And she can't stand me ! But I like her to know I am watching. And I was doing this long before healthcare.

4. Will Say Plenty profile image61
      Will Say Plentyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would say if he intends to vote yes then that means that most people where you are want him to vote yes.  But it's a free country.  Do as you wish whether you are going against the numbers or with them.

5. manlypoetryman profile image82
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know that I contacted mine...and told him he would no longer get my vote...if he voted "Yes" for this debacle. Normal everyday citizens...like us...have to have a say...as someone already stated on here "they represent us".  !?

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you have every right to contact your congressman about any issue that affects you.

2. Sab Oh profile image55
    Sab Ohposted 14 years ago

Yes, it is worth it.

3. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

I agree with Sab Oh, it's worth it.

Hit him up with your opinion.
    If that doesn't work, hit him over the head with the Constitution.   If that doesn't work, hit him up with the affirmation that you're still a citizen and one of his bosses and remind him he may not have a job come election time if he doesn't DO his job right.

4. sabrebIade profile image81
    sabrebIadeposted 14 years ago

By all means tell him...or her.
    You never know, he (or she) maybe weighing things in his/her own mind, and one passionate plea could tip the scales.

"I will never be certain it was not some woman treading in the winepress who started the subtle change in men's mind. Or that the pressing out of which so many countries were given to the sword, did not begin in the mind of some shepherd boy, lighting up his eyes for a moment before it ran upon its way."
    - William  Butler  Yeats

5. MikeNV profile image66
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Nothing will get done if everyone in America is Apathetic.

6. Insurance Menthor profile image58
    Insurance Menthorposted 14 years ago

This is what I just sent to my congressman and both senators...
    >
    >

To President Obama and all 535 voting members of Congress:

It is now official you are ALL corrupt morons.

The U.S. Post Service was established in 1775.
    You have had 234 years to get it right and it is broke.

Social Security was established in 1935.
    You have had 74 years to get it right and it is broke.

Fannie Mae was established in 1938.
    You have had 71 years to get it right and it is broke.

War on Poverty started in 1964.
    You have had 45 years to get it right; $1 trillion of our money is confiscated each year and transferred to "the poor" and they only want more.

Medicare and Medicaid were established in 1965.
    You have had 44 years to get it right and they are broke.

Freddie Mac was established in 1970.
    You have had 39 years to get it right and it is broke.

Fifty years ago we had the best schools in the world, and now with a Department of Education, we are 16th and falling.

Amtrak operates in the red year after year.

The Department of Energy was created in 1977 to lessen our dependence on foreign oil.
    It has ballooned to 16,000 employees with a budget of $24 billion a year and we import more oil than ever before.
    You had 32 years to get it right and it is an abysmal failure.

You have FAILED in every "government service" you have shoved down our throats while overspending our tax dollars AND
    YOU WANT AMERICANS TO BELIEVE YOU CAN BE TRUSTED WITH A GOVERNMENT-RUN HEALTH CARE SYSTEM??

1. TheGlassSpider profile image63
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't forget the "War on Drugs." That one's a doozy.

2. livewithrichard profile image73
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Reminds me of an email I just seen, it went something like this:

In the good old days when Ronald Regan was president we had great Americans like Bob Hope and Johnny Cash. Now that Obama is president we have no Hope and no Cash.  smile smile smile Guess you had to see it!

1. tony0724 profile image59
        tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

OOOHHHH I like this whole block of comments here !

7. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

None of the House members will have to vote on the bill. Nancy is going to "deem" it passed without a vote on it. Call your representative and tell him how you feel about that!

8. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

Yes, you should call your representative. Write them, call them, leave them messages...Rent a plane and write your opinion in the sky. Make yourself heard. It matters not that you are of a different party.

9. Will Say Plenty profile image61
    Will Say Plentyposted 14 years ago

I find it funny that retired people in here are against health care for all--duh your butt is already covered, huh?  Ask unemployed folks if they would like some kind--any kind--of health care.  Ask people who pay for the health care of illegal aliens and live where they have to see it everyday wouldn't mind being able to get at least as much as illegals do.

10. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Will Say, I'll tell you what I don't like. I don't like that I'm going to have to pay taxes on my insurance policy when union members don't, just because they're Obama supporters. When McCain suggested taxing insurance policies in the campaign, Obama decried it as evil, but it's okay when the dems do it. I don't like it that I'm going to have to pay for Nebraska's medicaid, even though I don't live in that state. I don't like that seniors in FL will get a break on prescription drugs while seniors in other states won't. I don't like the LA Purchase - to the tune of a $300 million bribe for a vote. Dick Durbin says with this HC bill, premiums will go up. It's on youtube - go watch it.

I don't like paying for this bill for 10 years but only getting 6 years of benefits. I don't like - in fact, I hate - that Obama sold us out to PhRMA. I don't like the fact that this bill will cut Medicare by $500 BILLION.

I don't like the fact that if this bill passes, 46% of doctors will leave the profession, according to the New England Journal of Medicine. Let's see...half as many doctors and 30,000,000 new patients. Without any rationing? Get real. If this is such a wonderful bill, it seems like at least all the dems would be overjoyed to vote for it and not have to be subjected to bribes and threats.

1. Will Say Plenty profile image61

habee,
      You're retired!?  Seriously!?  I would never have thought!  You seem so young and lively here in HP!

I'm not saying I love all the details.  I don't.

I'm not saying you won't find someone posting "doomsday" statistics either.  You obviously have.

Mind you, if that many doctors were going to quit what does that say about the kind of money they are making RIGHT NOW?  THAT would bother me IF I currently had medical benefits and were paying doctors.

I never said it was wonderful but it IS a start.  If it works elsewhere it can work here.  We put a man on the moon.  We can do this.

I don't usually waste a lot of time in forums but I DO sometimes point out things that I find humorous.

I think it's funny that no one is realizing that the people who are so against this thing all already have insurance.

1. profile image0

This is a start all right, the beginning of the end of the constitutional concept that individual rights come from nature. now they come from government!

There is so much wrong with this bill, it's hard to imagine how anyone can vote for it! Let's face it, even the democrats don't want to vote for it so the congress is going to resort to procedural tricks to get it passed!

The dems always tout the insurance reforms in the bill, but those amount to about 5 pages of the 2700 page bill! They don't bother to talk about all the rest of it, the 500 billion in new taxes, that we will all pay, the mandate to buy insurance or be fined and possibly face jail time. The new taxes will be on medical devices, and these of course will be passed along to patients who will now have bigger bills! So how is that going to bend the cost curve down?

They don't talk about how many people will lose the insurance they have because employers will find it's cheaper to pay the fines than to provide the insurance.

In the end, this bill will do nothing to lower costs, all it will do is put government in control of the health care system, with health advisory boards deciding on appropriate care, so not only will we all pay more, but we'll pay more for less. All you can really say is you'll have purchased insurance coverage for 26 million people some of which didn't have it because they didn't feel like they needed it!

Well, it's all about what most of us want, isn't it? 
          What most of us want to happen will happen.
          No point in arguing with people over things that cannot be proved right or wrong in here.

11. resspenser profile image71
    resspenserposted 14 years ago

My guy is John Spratt so I know I might as well save my energy to fight against his re-election!

12. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

Everyone should contact their congressmen. 

http://www.infowars.com/pelosi-readies- … americans/

This is a disturbing read!

13. JON EWALL profile image60
    JON EWALLposted 14 years ago

Hubbers
    A SPECIAL INVITATION TO THE HEALTHCARE DEBATE

On Saturday 3/20/10 EXCLUSIVLY on Fox News cable at 10:00am to 12:00 ET time NO OTHER PLACE BUT FOX NEWS

A special program regarding healthcare reform '' LIVE AND UNCUT '' direct from Washington , hosted by Neil Cavuto.

Members of both parties will be interviewed.

FOX NEWS '' WE REPORT YOU DECIDE '' '' FAIR AND BALANCED ''

Try not to miss the program, it's for Democrats, Republicans, Independents, Conservatives, Liberals and all Americans.
    I don't believe I missed anyone.
    Looking forward to comments.

14. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Will, I retired early because of nerve damage. I like parts of this bill, too, but there are parts that just totally irk me! I certainly hope it will be improved when it goes through reconciliation!

Yup.  Gotta start somewhere.

2. Sab Oh profile image55
      Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"I certainly hope it will be improved when it goes through reconciliation!"

Yeah, and I certainly hope $100 bills start falling out of my behind every time I fart.

15. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

Why can't we buy our insurance across state lines?

Would competition lower costs?

If you support Govt Healthcare then take it up with your state. 

I live in Massachusetts, every resident of Ma has insurance.  We the People of Ma passed our own health insurance coverage.

If I was not happy with the Ins. I could move out of the state while still staying in the country I love.

1. Sab Oh profile image55

"every resident of Ma has insurance."

No they don't.

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
        Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The only ones who do not have insurance in Ma are people who decided not to take part in the system.

I will rephrase it:  Anyone who wants ins. in Ma can get it on a sliding fee depending on income or at no cost at all.

And what happens to those who don't have insurance? Yes, they are forced by the government to pay a fine. Sound familiar? And of course the system is rapidly growing toward failure already.

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
            Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

True but my point remains.  If anyone does not like the health care in the state their are 49 more states to move too.

Health Care should be done by the States.

State's Rights

Individual rights:  Many Healthcare workers are going to refuse to participate in abortive medicine.  Is the federal govt going to force nurses and doctors to perform procedures that go against their faith?

Yes, I expect they are. After all, they know better than us, don't they?

1. profile image0

I believe there is language in the bill that allows for those with religious objections to abortion not to be penalized for their refusal to perform them.

The bill also provides the circumstances when abortion is covered, and that's the language I believe Stupak objects to.

16. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years ago

It never hurts! If NOTHING else, you can annoy them. I love writing my Congressman. I'm sure he has some aid read it, but it probably irritates someone!

17. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

No matter what your “Representative’s” political affiliation is he/she is still a representative of the entire constituency.

Let your voice be heard, and let them be aware that they will not be the only ones hearing it, and that you will work tirelessly to vote them out if they do not vote the will of their representation base…..which is you and everyone you know.

You should do it and so should everyone else.

18. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100317/ap_ … fact_check

The lie of lower health care costs exposed, again.

19. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 14 years ago

I called mine with a three word message.

"Git 'er DONE!!!!"

20. resspenser profile image71
    resspenserposted 14 years ago

Me too. I said "You are fired!"

21. JON EWALL profile image60
    JON EWALLposted 14 years ago

Hubbers

By all means contact your representatives of both parties to let them know you,the voter, are observing how he or she is voting.

My Message is

You ( NAME    )  were elected by the people to go to Washington to do the peoples work for the benefit of the people.

You took an oath to the constitution of the united states when accepting your  position in our government.

You were not elected to serve by your party but by the people.
    You have a responsibility to the people, not your party.

So, will you cast your vote for the people or the party?
    Polls show that  60% of the people do not want the present healthcare reform bill to be passed.
    You will be held accountable in casting your vote, the people or the party.
    Ask for a nay or yea, state your case!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)