How much would you tip a waiter or waitress?

Jump to Last Post 51-87 of 87 discussions (123 posts)
  1. bayoulady profile image68
    bayouladyposted 13 years ago

Where I live (Louisiana,USA) The going rate is 15%, but if I get rudeness I only tip 10%. Here in north Louisiana, we even tip the "Sonic Drive In" carhops (a dollar extra)that bring out our burger order. This started about 5 years ago, but I only found out about it 3 years ago. I don't like it, but since we are regulars, I do.

2. profile image0
    Contriceposted 13 years ago

Depends on the service, usually 15%

3. spraytask profile image60
    spraytaskposted 13 years ago

20% and more.  It's a hard job.

4. SteveoMc profile image71
    SteveoMcposted 13 years ago

Washington state's 2010 minimum wage is $8.55 per hour, the highest in the nation.   State law does not allow an exception for tipped earnings.   This means that all wait staff earn at least minimum wage.   I have several young friends who are wait staff and they all make the minimum or higher.   

So here they make $8.55 per hour plus tips.   Now you cannot live on that.   If you expect your servers to make a living and support a family, raise kids, look nice for you, be pleasant, etc., then you should want to help them out. 

I myself am a stingy tipper, but I want the people who wait on me to have a decent income.   I insist on leaving at least double the sales tax, which here is 8.2%.   On a hundred dollar dinner, that is $16.40.   That would be the absolute minimum.   

Fortunately my wife is a much more generous tipper and I always take her along.   She always throws in something extra for the tip, making it more like 25%.   

My friends generally make with tips around double the minimum, which is enough to make it on.   But for a hardworking pleasant person, the wage is still in the $30,000 to $40,000 range.  I do know at least one who makes more like $12 per hour plus tips.     

These people deserve our support and it should be theirs despite the circumstances.   Occasionally, there is very bad service, in those circumstances, I will not let my wife throw in her extra.   Although I will hear about it.

1. GurlShonny profile image59
      GurlShonnyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You say this as if we owe them something for working in an environment that they themselves chose to work in. I too can be a stingy tipper because I believe that good, hard work just pays off.

Even though the economy is bad right now and to get any job is a blessing, nobody can make a person choose a job to wait on tables. So there for if they provide good service then they get a good tip. Some waiters or waitreses are lucky if they get a tip at all.

5. ns1209 profile image63
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

In the UK while tipping is expected waiters/tresses actually make the minimum wage plus tips.  I normally leave about 10% but some people leave none! 

I think you should give a small tip however it sounds a bit different in the U.S.A as if tips are depended on but it also sounds like the service is generally better their!

6. profile image0
    Rookie70posted 13 years ago

I tip generously. I believe great service is automatically rewarded $7 to $8, and if the food was also good, add an extra $3.

7. lyjo profile image59
    lyjoposted 13 years ago

Usually,20%, however, if they are amazing, but not obnoxious, we've been known to leave 25-30%,they deserve to know how well they did...it is very hard work.

8. katiem2 profile image60
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

I feel it's important to tip the person who's waiting on you... I mean that's a treat.

I tip 20% depending on the service, if great I tip more.

9. Writerxink! profile image59
    Writerxink!posted 13 years ago

I tip over and above the 15% it hard work and take a special kind of a person with a upbeat personality to interact with volume of people on a daily basis.

10. The Smiling Man profile image53
    The Smiling Manposted 13 years ago

I've waited myself before, so I understand how difficul it can be. 20% or more

11. timorous profile image82
    timorousposted 13 years ago

If she's got extreme attitude problems, and provides horrible service..just tip her until she's about to fall over. big_smile

1. Canklefish profile image80
      Canklefishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Really? She? Do you not tip waiters at all?

1. Misha profile image64
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0
          klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Misha profile image64
            Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL Talking to yourself Klara? wink tongue

1. profile image0

You are such a gent! You took it back? lol
              No, I'm not talking to myself. In my case when that happens, it's a ghost. big_smile

2. profile image0

Talking to yourself Misha? roll

2. timorous profile image82
      timorousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Really..you people.  It was just a simple joke.  Get over it! smile

Yes I do tip appropriately, when I do go out.

12. Canklefish profile image80
    Canklefishposted 13 years ago

Tipping starts at 20% and goes up or down from there. We no longer live in the stone ages...

and anybody who wants to dine out should have to work in the restaurant business for at least a year, so that they know just what the profession entails!

13. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

18 to 20%

14. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

LOL, I just don't like it when waiters tell me what I should do (or writers for that matter), so I posted first - but then thought that this will likely bring a fight up - which I am not in the mood. So I backed off smile

Oh well, since you quoted it, there is no way back for me now yikes

15. TheBrandon profile image58
    TheBrandonposted 13 years ago

I tip 20% or more unless it's just awful service.

16. sim0n30 profile image59
    sim0n30posted 13 years ago

its a bit different in Ireland, we tend to tip 10%, but i think waitresses basic wage is more here.

17. ashleyyoung profile image40
    ashleyyoungposted 13 years ago

I used to work as a waitress and oftentimes, I receive about 15 to 20% as tip, that's why I follow this rule. Now, I'm willing to give more for a very good service. smile

18. rawfoodbooks profile image58
    rawfoodbooksposted 13 years ago

Wow I thought 10% was common, but I see many people tip up to 20 or 25% that's amazing! I allways tip based on the quality of the food and the service.

19. MichelleArakaki profile image59
    MichelleArakakiposted 13 years ago

I normally tip 20% or more especially if it's good service and if the server is nice and friendly.

20. matherese profile image60
    mathereseposted 13 years ago

I think 10percent is ok that if i am happy with their service

21. psycheskinner profile image85
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

Keep in mind that not everyone here is in America where wait staff are paid less than a reasonable living wage on the understanding the will be tipped.  In most placed tipping is not necessary because a full appropriate salary is paid to them by their employer.

22. GurlShonny profile image59
    GurlShonnyposted 13 years ago

The percentage of a tip that I believe that is required for a party of 6 or more is anywhere from 12% to 18%.

However if it is just myself or my husband and I, then that all depends on how good of service that we received of course. My husband is a really good tipper & will tip rather he recieves good service or not. He will tip a small amount if the service was not so good & will tip a large amount if the service was excellent. I on the other hand will make a waiter or waitress work for their tip because I believe that it is only fair that they do. When I go to work I don't get a raise for inadequent work so why should I give a tip to someone who is not providing me with that very same service?

23. CYBERSUPE profile image61
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

usually between 15 and 20 percent.

24. CYBERSUPE profile image61
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

usually between 15 and 20 percent.

25. Urb Farm and Bee profile image60
    Urb Farm and Beeposted 13 years ago

It depends on:

1) How good the service was, and I mean service, not the food. It's not the wait's fault if the food sucks.

2) If I plan to be a regular there. I've gotten some nice surprises from being a regular and being nice.

3) How much of a pain our table was. If the waiter went out of their way to accomodate, I reward them.

I usually tip 20% for good service.

26. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

So, how does this tipping work? Who do you tip and how often? I'm Australian, and have never visited the States, so I'm rather ignorant on this.

In Australia, tipping after eating at a restaurant has always been a voluntary decision by patrons. We also rarely, if ever, tip for any other type of service.

27. Kotori profile image68
    Kotoriposted 13 years ago

In the U.S. it is standard to tip 15%-20% for decent service at a restaurant.  Waiters in Illinois make less than the standard minimum wage (I think it's up to $4.10/hr), and rely on tips to pay their bills. I used to tip less well for bad service, but then a manager to whom I complained gave me very good advice. She said if you want to get the point across, don't tip at all; otherwise you'll come off as a bad tipper and nothing more.

For very exceptional service, I tip up to 30%.

28. philzgrill profile image64
    philzgrillposted 13 years ago

I go with 15% for normal service, 20% if they are exceptional at their job.  I agree, a very thankless job and people can be very rude and some other words I can't say.

29. PDXBuys profile image80
    PDXBuysposted 13 years ago

I was taught to tip 15% of the before tax total.  I round up or down slightly for quality of service.  If I have to stand at a counter to order or if I bus my own dishes I do not tip anything.  I do not tip based on the "attractiveness" of the server.  I think that is terribly unfair.  I tip based on the speed and friendliness of the server.  If anything, I might tip a super-attractive (female) server less just assuming she already has an unfair advantage.  Sorry gals...

30. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years ago

Interesting, here in the UK the normal tipping rate in a restaurant is between 10-12.5%, perhaps the basic wage is higher, but for sure we still judge on the service before we tip, and get mildly annoyed if the bill states that the 'tip is already included' inferring we have to pay it, regardless of whether the service was good or bad.

31. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

For me, it depends on what I am having. It also depends on where I am eating, and how good the service was.

If I am just going to sit and have a cup of coffee, I usually don't tip, unless the waiter or waitress is very friendly, and checks to see if I need a refill often. But, if that person ignores me, and never offers a refill, I don't tip them.

But, I usually tip around 15%. I have had some really good service at various places, so I would give 20%. I had a really great waiter at the Olive Garden, real cute too. Gave him a decent tip.

But, there was a restaurant that I went to, where the waitress was a total bitch. I left her a dime and two pennies for a tip. I also had a guy at that same place that was rude, so I didn't tip him either. But, I have also had good service there. If it wasn't for the excellent food, I wouldn't eat there at all.

But, I think the best service I have ever had was at Disney World. The worst was at Six Flags Great America. This cafe was serving people $12.00 cheeseburger meals, with no meat!!! I asked the waiter what the hell was going on. And the guy at the counter says, sorry we ran out of meat.

I reported the six flags thing to security, and they came and shut the place down and bitched the counter people out. How do you serve hamburger meals to people with no meat!! We got our fries and drinks for free, and they gave us a complete refund, along with 8 other people who complained. That's just plain stupidity.

1. PDXBuys profile image80
      PDXBuysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"We ran out of meat." That was a funny story!  Thank you.  Meatless hamburger...  I went to a McDonald's one time and they were very busy.  I was served a hamburger without a bottom bun!  They fixed the problem and apologized.

32. Mama Sez profile image63
    Mama Sezposted 13 years ago

It's 10-20% depending on the service.  If service charge is included in the bill then I don't give a tip anymore.

33. Kimberly Venegas profile image61
    Kimberly Venegasposted 13 years ago

I might be a little biassed as I'm a waitress. I tip between 20%-30% and so should everybody else smile.

34. profile image50
    techtposted 12 years ago

F*&K the tipping SH*T. There is no tip in Europe.
    Prices should include it and the restaurant owners should pay their employes accordingly and don't rely on customers to pay them.

35. Anamika S profile image68
    Anamika Sposted 12 years ago

Mostly 20% of the Bill Amount. But there have been times when I have given only 10% because I did not like their service... Also there have been times when I paid 50% or more because I am extremely happy with the service. So it all depends on how I am being treated.

36. Wmod514 profile image60
    Wmod514posted 12 years ago

Good call Anamika...I don't think people realize that the wait staff also has to tip out bussers, bartenders and even kitchen staff in some places, so "stiffing" actually costs the water/waitress money to wait on you !! With that being said, 10% for unsatisfactory service and 20+ for good service is a good guideline.

37. Wmod514 profile image60
    Wmod514posted 12 years ago

What I mean by the tipout is wait staff is "charged" a percentage of their overall sales by the employer to distribute to the bussers, bartenders and kitchen staff and a $2.55/hour wage. So try not to "stiff" people...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)