It has been argued that magic isn't real...or is it?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (67 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

Although some simply dismiss magic as pure superstitious nonsense.  however, it is scientifically proven that we as human use less than one percent of our own brains on average.  therefore, some scientists believe that if we could potentially untap the rest our brain power, then we would not only be able to communicate telepathically, but we'd be able to move mountains with our own minds.  therefore, what if people who used magic were nothing more than people who could tap into a part of their brain that nobody else has figured out how to tap into yet.  Then would you believe magic is real?

1. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh really? Because it has been scientifically proven otherwise. We use all of our brains. And the myth is actually 10 percent not 1 percent...

Here's something for you to read if you're interested:
      http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
        Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good post Hero.

2. profile image54
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

When one is so inclined to fabricate stories that are so far-fetched, one has to wonder if they are actually alive and not just in a perpetual dream state of delusion.

Moving mountains with our minds? Indeed.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

im sorry, did you say something? im a tad deaf these days.  smile

1. blondepoet profile image68
          blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ROFL.

3. Daniel Carter profile image61
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Magic can be anything we can't really explain in the moment. Magicians have their secrets to mystify audiences and observers. Once the trick is explained, it looses it power of wonderment and awe.

If we could move mountains, the awe and wonder would be removed. If one person managed to do it, we would be in a state of wonderment until someone else did it, and then it becomes common place. No one could surpass the 4 minute mile until somebody did. It was almost magic, and then someone else did and so on.

Magic is still magic. It exists because we don't know how to explain a certain type of event. But once we do, there is no magic.

4. Richieb799 profile image74
      Richieb799posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I saw one TV programme ages ago about these eastern monks/guru type men who channeled energy through their bodies and could actually get paper to start burning, or smouldering yikes
      There were very few who could achieve this power though

5. profile image0
      Lecieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i think the only real magic in the world is a sweet talker like you. wink

1. profile image0

awww thanks lecie.  smile

1. profile image0
          Lecieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

your welcome steve. keep thinking of unusual posts. i think everyone will agree that you're doing a wonderful job. smile

6. SparklingJewel profile image66
      SparklingJewelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

the word magic isn't well respected in many circles...but it CAN mean the same thing as alchemy, God's laws of love, universal laws, power of consciousness, power of the Christ, etc...the difference comes because of several different reasonings...all based in the use of one's own human power of consiousness out of unity with God's universal laws of love...

evil is a power miscreated (subverted) from the energy that was originally of  God's love energy

that is why a Kuan Yin mantra says "evil is not real and its appearance has no power" and that is qualified with: it has no power except what we give it by recognizing it and allowing the evil to manifest without praying for its dissolution and/or responding to it with love

7. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i have thought this, or something very similar, for many years. i think there are many unseen forces out there that some can perceive due to an evolved "PQ" (Psychic Quotient). but not psychic in the sense of 'send me a hundred bucks and i'll find your missing cat'....i am talking about energies, not spiritual or supernatural forces.

anyway, i don't think we could move mountains but i do think we could be telekinetic also, if those abilities evolved in the future, and could move objects like a book or a teacup or something...

2. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

Ive wondered that. what if "crazy" people actually just know more?

1. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You may have something there.
      next ime someone calls me crazy I'll say thank you!

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I always do!!

3. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

magick is a state of mind - a form of projection.

4. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

PS Steve, you watch too many movies!!  lol

1. profile image0

lol that may be true, but that still doesn't dismiss what many scientists have uncovered about the human brain.  lol

1. profile image0

Im just kidding!! I really do wonder about all that.

1. profile image0

i know you were. lol  don't worry.  tongue

1. profile image0

hahahaha. I belive in aliens too.

5. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

Magic is very real. It just isn't what most people think it is.

1. Richieb799 profile image74
      Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I agree with what spider says

6. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

I was just contemplating this question myself, the other day.  I mean, if a prenotion (<--not sure of spelling) is just the fact that your subconscious has picked up on clues that your rational brain hasn't, then why couldn't many other things simply be the fuller use of your mind?  And if we are all really conected in an emotional sence, like they show with the heat cameras, then why wouldn't we know when something is off, especially with those who are emotionally close to us?

1. profile image0

premonition

you KNOW you have them.  wink

1. Ivorwen profile image66
        Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  smile

1. profile image0

smile

1. profile image0

I had to google it...

1. Ivorwen profile image66

great tool...  smile

7. BDazzler profile image78
    BDazzlerposted 14 years ago

That which is unexplained or unexplainable is often given the label "magic".

In the middle to late 20th century, as rationalism became "in vogue" attempts to quantify paranormal phenomenon into a science lead to serious research into what is often known as parapsychology.   

Dr. J.B. Rhine of Duke University gave credibility to areas that were previously considered "superstition" by applying the scientific method to paranormal phenomenon, such as ESP and precognition.

However, science can only measure those things which are measurable by science.  That seems like it should be obvious, but the fact is there are facets of our universe that science cannot satisfactorily address and strict rationalists are sometimes hostile to that idea. 

I'm often astounded at how much quantum physics sounds like metaphysics.

The point is, that just because something cannot be quantified and explained does not mean it does not exist.  "Magic" is just a good a word as any to describe those things.

8. Faybe Bay profile image65
    Faybe Bayposted 14 years ago

Magic is real and is in all of us and all around us.

Case in point. I had a calico cat. Her name was Patches. I had been having night terrors for years when I got her, as a kitten. I got her because she was terrified all the time, and my home was quiet.

Soon she was no longer afraid. She would stay up all night and watch me sleep. Whenever i would have a nightmare she would jump n me and wake me up.
    I commented to a customer that my cat was always waking me up.. She asked what kind of cat, I said calico. She says, oh you have night terrors, right?

I had never told anyone. Calicoes it seems can tell. So did I choose her, or she choose me. When the problem was addressed and went away, she left. She moved in with neighbors down the street who had a small child.

I would see her, and she would act like she didn't know me. I have been told it was because I didn't need her anymore. The other family did.

1. profile image0

wierd....I had a calico....

1. Faybe Bay profile image65
        Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Did it help you?

1. profile image0

My Mom made me leave her when I "moved" out. I guess she needed her more...
          she was a great cat.

They are great cats, the lady told me they are helpers, and know when something is wrong. She was like that. She would be sleeping at the head of my "bed" which was a couch, when I got home. All rested up for the night ahead. I miss her.

2. Ivorwen profile image66

Interesting.  The calico cats we had were always our favorites.  One of them would move to a different farm about every 6 -12 months, and everyone claimed her, thought few could get close to her.

Cats are their own, I think. My Tom Binx is his name. He tells me when to go to bed, complains if I don't shut down when he's ready. The others will be alone, but he is at my feet right now. He was my daughter's cat, but she likes to move every two years. He doesn't like to move, and came back home on his own.

3. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow, Faybe! I have got to agree cats are very magickal. They have great wisdom and healing power.

Your story reminds me of a tuxedo cat I once had. He was called Putty when we first got him. After awhile, the name Jinx seemed more fitting. He was an amazing cat. Somehow, he was able to sense things before I even could. There was one evening he was acting strangely. I thought he was playing with my cell phone, something he had never done before. He would bat it back and forth on the coffee table for a few minutes, never doing any damage to it. Then he'd pace back and forth a few times. Then he'd crawl onto my lap, look into my eyes, and make this sound that I had always taken to mean he was comforting me. Then he'd begin the process all over. It was as if he was expecting a telephone call.

Soon my cell phone rang. As soon as I answered, Jinx immediately crawled onto my lap, knowing I would need comfort. This was the telephone call where I learned that my uncle had died.

Jinx was also a very good judge of character, something I have never witnessed with cats before. There was a time while he was living with me that my friends were setting me up on a series of blind dates. On four of these dates, Jinx became very upset when they came to pick me up. He actually attacked three of the men and he hissed at the fourth. Two of the men turned out to be on drugs, which Jinx did not like at all. One man ended up telling me two hours' into the date that he was on the sex offender list. I don't know why he hissed at the other man. Perhaps it was just because Jinx knew I wouldn't like him.

Incidentally, Jinx was also the cat who saved my life once. There was a fire in the apartment next door. Smoke was coming in through the vents. Jinx woke me up in the middle of a smoke-filled apartment by pushing his paw into my chest over and over again. I ended up going to the hospital for having inhaled too much smoke.

Jinx ended up leaving on his own and wound up living at a house down the street. I believe he felt that he was more needed there.

Now I have two new cats. And they are equally as magickal, although neither has shown the traits Jinx did.

Pani, I wasn't going to tell anyone this here, one because it is sad, and two, well it's... CRAZY?

I had a Black and White, (Tuxedo and mittens) kitten. My daughter's cat had given birth and this one would always climb in my lap, sniff at my nose, paw and bite my nose. Only me, always my nose.

Of course I kept him. He loved me! So I never had a "pretty" nose. Now I had some sort of a cyst, and it turned out to be cancer. I didn't have the money for surgery. The kitten just wouldn't leave my nose alone, and the neighbor said, "he knows it's cancer, he's trying to get rid of it." This neighbor set me up with the money to have the surgery. We had to pay for everything in advance because I didn't have insurance.
        Everyone was worried what the cat would do, when I had bandages and stitches!
        I was at work, the Saturday night before the surgery, I got a call at work, the cat had run out of the house and into the path of an on coming car, no reason, he wasn't spooked, he'd never gone outside. He never wanted to, until everything was all set and paid for.

So that's weird. I was destroyed. He lived a few hours but his brain swelled and he died, but he was purring. No one could understand why he was purring.
        I found out later, that the cancer was so deep in my nose that six more months (that's how long it would have taken to save up for the surgery) it would have been through to my brain.

I think, he was here for me. To make me find out what the cyst on my nose was. I think he was here to make me lose my pride and let someone else help me. I think he was purring because he had done his job, and he was going home. I think animals do have souls, or maybe they are angels from heaven, guardians of some sort. I don't know. That's just what I think.

9. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 14 years ago

Magic is real, it's all around us. You can pick up a small box not more than 4 inches long and with it you can talk to anyone anywhere in the world, you can flip a switch and have light... you can press a button and watch tv shows... you can listen to music as you run down the street....you can sit at your desk and type symbols on a keyboard and get on the internet... you can get on a plane and you can fly...

Man has walked on the moon....  if that's not magic I don't know what is.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is not magic. It's called Technology. hmm

1. Disturbia profile image61
        Disturbiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL, think outside the box for a minute and look beyond the traditional definition of magic... why can't technology just be an instrument of modern day magic much like a spell book... eye of toad, hair of dog, and 2,000 lbs. of jet fuel.  Whatever name you apply to it, technology, magic, miracles, the results are magical and we take for granted things in our time that people in the past would surely have considered magic. wink

2. Shadesbreath profile image77
        Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - Arthur C. Clarke

10. skyfire profile image81
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Unexplained things, mysteries are magic to people. Chris angels stuff is magic to people till he gets busted.

11. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 14 years ago

I think like Disturbia does. Matches would wow some in the jungle, and they would call it magic, although we know it's sulfur. Technology IS magic, it's just explainable magic.

Although I do think if we could use our entire brain, we would know so much more and then magic would become mundane. If everyone could move mountains, there would be no desert left and all these mountains would be here, then there, then here...

12. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I blieve that magic is very real but another person may not. It all depends on the individual.

13. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 14 years ago

Someone told me once that long ago, everyone could do magic. Then the religious authorities made it illegal because it made everyone equal and didn't glorify them as leaders. So with the outlaw of magic came generations that were not taught to use it, and it died out and now we don't even use that part of our brains.

I have trouble with this one because there wouldn't have been any social classes if everyone could do magic and therefore be rich, beautiful, or whatever. But I still do wonder about what we could do if we used our whole brains. I would hate telepathy unless I could turn it off when I didn't want anyone to know what I was thinking lol..

14. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

I believed magic was real when I was young.  I even had visions and "cursed" others.  I stopped believing when I began to believe my curses were coming true.  Does that make sense?  lol
    Anyway, I've always wanted to know more about magic, but didn't know how to learn.  It just doesn't make sense to me to learn magic from a book at the library - learning from someone who knows makes more sense to me.  I have only known one person during my life who claims to do magic, and she isn't a very nice person.  Oh, well.  neutral

15. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

I have heard that Lucky Charms are magically delicious!
    Could this be true??? big_smile smile lol lol

1. Shadesbreath profile image77

Given that they made from chemicals with the most terrifying names, and yet they are, indeed, delicious, I would say the answer is, "Yes."

1. BDazzler profile image78
        BDazzlerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

INGREDIENTS:  Lucky Charms (Oats, (Whole Grain Oats, Flour), Marshmallows (Sugar, Modified Corn Starch, Corn Syrup, Dextrose, Gelatin, Calcium Carbonate, Yellow 5 & 6, Blue 1, Red 40), Artificial Flavor, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Corn Starch, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Artificial Color, Trisodium Phosphate, Zinc And Iron (Mineral Nutrients), Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbic), A "B" Vitamin (Niacinamide), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1, Thiamin Mononitrate), Vitamin A, (Palmitate), A B Vitamin (Folic Acid) Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Vitamin E (Mixed Tocopherols) Added To Preserve Freshness.)

What's wrong with Thiamin Mononitrate, Mixed Tocopherols and Niacinamide?

1. Shadesbreath profile image77

Didn't Shakespeare write a play with a witch that used that stuff.

"Thiamin mononitrate, and toe of frog,
          Wool of bat, and tocopherol,
          Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
          Niacinamide, and howlet's wing,--
          For a bowl of powerful trouble,
          Like a hell-broth boil and bubble."

Yep, yep, clearly magic.

1. BDazzler profile image78
            BDazzlerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile lol big_smile LMAO

2. Disturbia profile image61
            Disturbiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And... magically delicious!

I love a delicious bowl of powerful trouble.

2. Pandoras Box profile image60
      Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is true!

16. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

I think magic is just the term used for not understanding how something works. big_smile

1. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Probably but there is actually a real science trying to put order where there is no order. I only recently heard of this when reading Dan Brown's latest book, The Lost Symbol, but its called noetic science.  If you are interested in learning more about it then check out http://www.noetic.org/

It centers around the belief that human thought has a measurable energy or mass. They claim proof of this with events that happened around the world on, and the days after, the Sep. 11 attacks.

17. srwnson profile image61
    srwnsonposted 14 years ago

Harry Houdini said,

"My professional life has been a constant record of disillusion, and many things that seem wonderful to most men are the every-day commonplaces of my business."

18. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

Here are a few definitions of Magick:

Magick - The art and science of causing change to occur in conformity with will.

Magick - Making desired change happen.

Magick - Energy tending to change.

Magick - The conscious evolution through directing energy.

19. sabrebIade profile image81
    sabrebIadeposted 14 years ago

Saudi Arabia is the largest Arab country of the Middle East and one of the richest countries in the world.
    And evidently they take magic pretty seriously.....

"Amnesty International is calling on Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah to stop the execution of a Lebanese man sentenced to death for "sorcery."

In a statement released Thursday, the international rights group condemned the verdict and demanded the immediate release of Ali Hussain Sibat, former host of a popular call-in show that aired on Sheherazade, a Beirut based satellite TV channel.

According to his lawyer, Sibat, who is 48 and has five children, would predict the future on his show and give out advice to his audience."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/03/ … tml?hpt=T2

I wonder if his predictions came true?
    Then again, he should have seen the arrest coming shouldn't he?

20. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

"It has been argued that magic isn't real...or is it?"

Without proof to the contrary, anything is possible.

1. profile image53
      capitan truenoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

nothing is magic,looks magic because its occult,but there is allways something operating,everything has an explanation even if we dont understand.if you dominate the elements you can materialize things,if you control the spirits you can bring life to someone death.humans only function with a minimunm of their brain capacity.what could we achieve if we would start the rest of it?but its very difficult cause understanding and knowledge is linked to spiritual advance and not much can be achieve out of only ambition,science without spirituality creates nuclear bombs.GOD RULES

21. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

hey, "every little thing she does IS magic..."
    that's' why I married her. smile

22. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Magic is not real. yes, it is true

23. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

sufficiently advanced technology is often called "magic".........

1. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

only symbolically; as it works wonders

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)