Harassment and Threats not addressed by HubPages Staff

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (20 posts)
  1. MagicStarER profile image71
    MagicStarERposted 14 years ago

Just putting as short note up here to talk about my experiences at HubPages over the past 5 days, during which a person has launched a vicious attack on my online reputation, leaving harassing, threatening, and defamatory comments on my hubs, sending me threatening emails, and otherwise stalking, harassing, intimidating, cyberbullying, defaming, and threatening me. 

The harassment has not lessened, but on the contrary, has escalated to a ridiculous pitch, and now this person is even sending (according to one Hubber friend), nasty "vituperative" emails to my fellow Hubbers.

Despite numerous pleas to Hubpages staff to block the IP address of the Cyberbully who is doing this, they have not done it.  The bully has now opened a profile at Hubpages, with the express and admitted (and documented) statement that the profile is intended solely to serve the purpose of attacking, defaming and destroying my writing career, and my online reputation.

Despite notifying HubPages staff that this person has stalked, harassed, bullied, and physically assaulted me numerous times in the past, and for many years, and that I have filed criminal charges on this person with my local law enforcement authorities for cyberbullying, "Terroristic Threatening", and stalking, as well as filing complaints with the FBI Internet Crime Division, and complaints of TOS violations with the individual's email service provider and ISP.  And also informing that her ISP and law enforcement officials are presently using forensic software to track her internet activity.

Despite pleas for HubPages staff to block this person's IP and to delete the pseudo-profile which is intended and admittedly nothing more than a vehicle through which to defame and harass me, it has not been done.

Apparently any psycho or untalented non-professional, non-writer can get and keep an account at HubPages, and it is accepted that HubPages members are allowed to attack, intimidate, harass, defame, and terroristically threaten other members here who are legitimate writers and professionals who are hoping that HubPages will further their writing careers and help them gain an online following for the advancement of their professional goals and achievements.

I hate to be a whiner.  And I am not a shit-starter.  My experience here at HubPages has been very satisfactory and rewarding up until this point. I have enjoyed writing here, and have worked very hard on my articles.  This is my vocation and I am deadly serious about my success as a published writer.  This is how I intend to earn my living, and what I will be doing for the rest of my life.  It is no game, and not just a past-time.

However, if this is such a sleazy, low-rate place that this type of abuse is allowed on HubPages, then I will be copying and saving all of my articles and moving them elsewhere.

Surely there will be somewhere else where I will not be subjected to this type of harassment.

2. goldenpath profile image67
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

It is wrong to be pushed.  Especially when the aggressor cannot be seen.  I sincerely hope progress is made in this matter and that you may have the opportunity to resume a happy and productive life here on HubPages.

3. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 14 years ago

There are two (or more) sides to every story.  The user you refer to as a "cyber bully" also has complaints about you and refutes the truthfulness of your claims.  We are not, as a website, able to investigate the truthfulness of every claim made, so we do not generally take action against users in these he-said-she-said cases, without a request from a US court.

Also, we cannot take action on any activities that occur outside of HubPages proper.  For example, if an harassing email is sent to you through the HubPages contact form, we may act upon it, but if it is sent to you directly, we cannot.

We are protected from liability for most content posted on our website under the Communications Decency Act, 47 U.S.C. section 230.  We suggest that you seek legal recourse against the person in question.

1. profile image57
      Azariaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so very much for handling this situation, before it got more out of control, or she did. It has already cost me thousands to clean up after her, another few thousand would not effect me anymore than the first few thousand. Several years ago, she used Bravehost to attack me, now, apparently it's your web site. I am truly sorry that you had the misfortune of having to be involved in this mess. I am hoping the situation will now be resolved, if not that's why I have attorneys. It appears that Hub page admin. are now the target of her anger and hostility.

Again, thank you for your assistance and prompt attention in this matter,
      Azaria

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then, I suppose you're going to be on your best behavior while here. wink

2. MagicStarER profile image71
        MagicStarERposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Several years ago" you used my AOL account to enter chat rooms and harass AOL members, for which behavior you almost had my account shut down.  You also hacked my account to alter my billing settings.  You then sent Bravenet ridiculous emails accusing me of "using your name" which was nothing but lies and Bravenet's legal group determined that you were out of order. 

Go back to your vodka bottle.

2. darkside profile image64
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I say there's always at least 3 sides to every story.

Apparently when I read a persons hubpages forum thread and visit their hubpages profile that makes me a stalker. But the very same person will go to my off-site blog and make a silly comment.

Sometimes I wonder if HP shut down the forum if it would reduce the disputes, anger and animosity by 90%.

1. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I miss the good ol' days of HubPages year one... when the forums hadn't been invented yet.  It made the time spent on the site nothing but productive.

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I do know that if you get sent emails internally through hubpages, the staff can act. They can't help you much if it comes from outside hubpages, but this person has now joined, have they? You wouldn't like to email me their hub-name, would you?

5. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 14 years ago

So on one hand you've reported this person to the FBI, and on the other you're asking HubPages to remove the evidence?

You should be aware that no matter where you go, there's always going to be someone who starts crap, or follows you there.

1. profile image57

To IzzyM, darkside, or anyone else,
      Feel free to contact me. I am who she calls her "cyberbully" Good Grief!!  I am tired of this. I am not a stalker, abuser, attempted murderer or anything she has repeatedly written about me. My only attempt is to put a halt to her defamatory statements regarding me, my family, and numerous other people she has writtten about.

My Hub name is Azaria

1. Faybe Bay profile image67
        Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And you have no hubs and have been here three days. I am not taking sides, but this isn't high school. I read her bully hub and left it alone, I knew there was something personal going on. I didn't try to figure out who she was talking about. you've been here 3 days, she says she's been harassed for 5.

1. MagicStarER profile image71

She has been leaving filthy comments on my hubs for five days, and before she obtained an account here.

2. profile image57

Laffin, good math!! It's a long story, she's making it longer, all I am doing it making it shorter by trying to clean it up, and preventing any further damage on her part. More importantly, more money out of my pocket for attorney fees. And as much as she fails to realize, seeing her in the court system again.

2. AEvans profile image74
        AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No hubs, just rants that would lead anyone to be suspicious of your motive especially when you came on immediately to exclaim innocence , she certainly did not tell anyone who the person was you let the cat out of the bag on your own. smile

3. darkside profile image64
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

An online debate or discussion won't result in putting a halt to defamatory statements.

Whether they've made these statements offline or online you'd do best to get legal advice.

While I was around before the launch of the forums I liked it before it spread into the 'By Category' sub-forums.

2. MagicStarER profile image71

The "evidence" is already documented and in possesion of law enforcement.  Doesn't matter if it's deleted or not.

6. dogluver1 profile image58
    dogluver1posted 14 years ago

Its not right.

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

so sad to see this stuff. get rid of the stalker, it seems simple.

always 3 sides to a story. one of them being the truth.

8. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 14 years ago

I am closing this thread.  We don't feel that anything productive can come of it.  If you believe you are being harassed on HubPages, please contact us directly.  We will investigate to the extent that we can, and take the action that we feel is appropriate and dictated by our terms of service.

Since harassment may occur across a variety of communication channels and no service provider will have insight into all of them, it's generally best handled by law enforcement rather than by going through channels on a single service.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)