Drug Addiction

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (33 posts)
  1. profile image50
    unfazed4evaposted 14 years ago

HOW THE GOVERMENT CAN HELP ADDICTS!Im a recovering addict who has spent my fare share of time in the system to find the right rehabilitation.The biggest problem is that you can prescribe methadone till the cows come home,but unless you get to the underlying reason to why people took the drugs in the first place then whats the point!Everytime i started with a councillor,they would either leave ,be off sick,or downloaded with other work!!Getting off the drugs was the easy part,staying off is the hardest!Some people had lives before drugs others havent known anything else.Life skills may seem easy to some but others need taught them,im sure the goverment could find 1000's of volunteers who would give their time to help addicts find their way in life with a bit of care,understanding,pat on the back,its not rocket science.I was abused sexually as a child and i realise i cant let this ruin the rest of my life as it has the past.Addicts are like new borns they need to learn all the skills again,self respect,trust,copeing with hurdles that can set them back.Methadone is a life line but as i said it doesnt make the individuals problems go away!

1. rellim25 profile image60
      rellim25posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The best way to fight addition is to remember you are in control not the drugs, as soon as you give in, they control everything in your life, they take your identity away and can destroy everything you love. I have been clean for 8 years now, and I feel great, drugs almost destroyed my life, I lost everything I owned. Since I quit, I have accomplished so much that I thought was impossible, I when to college received an Associate Degree in web development and now I am starting my Bachelors and I am not stopping there. I am not letting anything stop me, life is too short and must be cherished. Take advantage what life has to offer, and set out positive goals. The first two years are the hardest, just believe in yourself, stay away from those who say they are your friends, only because they don't want to get high alone. These people do not want you to succeed. Posting this is telling me that you have had enough, you want change and the one that can do it is you, I believe you have it in you, and remember you are not in this alone.

1. profile image50
        kassandra51485posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I read your post and it honestly made me feel better. I went to rehab in 07 and I'm still sober, just having a  hard time living sober.   It  was my first time in rehab and I'm the only person in my family that is sober  and I'm trying to break the cycle. I'm still on suboxone and I have been since I got out. And, I would honestly like to be off it if I had the faith that I would be ok. I'm sure I would but it is a scare that I have. My boyfriend is ready too, but it really scares me. Suboxone has gotten me through these three years and I'm afraid I'm just as addicted to Suboxone as I was with the pills. I need some input. I'm only twentyfour and I would like to stay sober. Any advice is good.

1. earnestshub profile image80
          earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am so pleased you can make the connection between your drug problems and the abuse you suffered. This is key to helping you to see that this is not your fault and you are not unworthy of anything.
          At such a young age I have great hopes for your future. I don't know your financial or other positions but I know one thing that works in life.

Find something that you love to do, and keep doing it. My early life was as rough as it gets, but when I discovered what I wanted to do my life changed.

A little game to play over and over is to imagine you have all the things you need and want. What do you want to do then?
          Most thoughts will be about needs that would be covered by imagining having what you need, so you will find yourself going back time and again to find what you want now you have what you need in your imagination.

Also, see if you can get some counseling again. Even if it is brief, you may just get a foot in the door of your new life. All the best of luck with it. smile

2. the clean life profile image71
        the clean lifeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with you! Yes addictions are very hard to break. the only one that can break the chains of addiction is you. You control you and if you slack back the demons with take over and begin to run and ruin your life and those who love and care for you as well.

Once you admit you have an addiction and are willing to surrender to it is when things start to get better slow but sure, one minute and one day at a time. You need to take that first and most important step. After that you will continue to keep walking forward and away from your addiction.

What helped me to finally achieve sobriety was I started of with a Positive Attitude. I knew that thinking this way I could overcome this addiction and live the life I deserve. Never give up hope. If you have the willingness and the desire to become sober you will. Keep focused on your goal and you will win the battle.

BELIEVE AND YOU WILL ACHIEVE!!

2. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Buddy ODAAT

You are not alone

many on this site like me ruffle the same frustrations but in recovery it is our resentments that can take us back out, as you know.  Let go.  GWG

Cheers

Kimberly

1. profile image0

btw a very cool and supportive site for us junkies in recovery or trying to enter recovery

Just love it

http://www.intherooms.com/profile/view

be well

3. nikki1 profile image60
      nikki1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Its always helpful with you have family and your family Dr. involved in the healing and recovering process. Beings the
      drugs did a lot of damage to your body and possibly mentality.
      Changing your lifestyle and etc maybe helpful. I for one have faith in you all. It won't be easy. Thats where bonding with family and etc comes in. Possibly treatment options.

Peace to all.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch2p4x-nWTc

4. AddictionHelpZA profile image61
      AddictionHelpZAposted 13 years agoin reply to this

addictiontreatmentconsultants.com

5. davidrogers5 profile image37
      davidrogers5posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I really appreciate the things everyone shared. Here's testimonies I think really add to this discussion.
      http://www.valleyhope.org/alumni/addict … ssage.aspx

2. sagbee profile image57
    sagbeeposted 14 years ago

Drug addiction is something which makes life hell.. It should be controlled by proper medication and care that a concerned person is needed..

1. profile image50
      unfazed4evaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was suffering from deppresion from past and present problems and the surgery i went wouldnt prescribe any type of medication and i didnt touch drugs! I self medicated,ive been clean 2yrs due to totally change to my life. I know everyone has diffrent reasons and often cant find a way out of the hole but i have spoken with lots of addicts who feel that as soon as they get clean all the services back off and they end up slipping back down the hole.

1. luvpassion profile image63
        luvpassionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hang in there, you've been clean two years, you're going to be fine.

Teri

2. tvhigley profile image59
        tvhigleyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi, i have been working with this type of addiction for many years. I am a hypnotherapist and teacher. I have worked with many rape and abused victims. You hit the nail on the head when you said that past pogramming is the cause. You self medicated to stop the pain, when you came back to reality you were still in the same body and mind. This continues until you heal the past with forgiveness and love. I know this may sound simplified, but it is the truth. The only person you have to live with is you. The only person you cannot get away from is you. If you don't like, love or respect that person then life becomes difficult. The power is choice, remember it all starts with thought. The other thing that make a difference is the realization that you survived. You are learning these things, because you have been clean for a couple of years. Now is the time to heal the underlying cause of the pain. That feeling in your stomach is the site of the emotions. The mind can heal you the moment you find it within your heat to forgive. Best wishes you can contact me by going to my blog if you choose.

2. nikki1 profile image60
      nikki1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You got that right. Also, a lot of bonding with family and friends. Depending on how devoted to the drug the person is/was. You pretty much have to change your lifestyle for the better. Eating nutritious meals/food has to come back in the picture along with routine exercises/ etc. Fixing your immune system from the damages the drug abuse did. Can't be a pretty picture.. sad
      I praise any drug victim who turns his/her life around. That huge, in my book ;D. KUDOs to those big_smile

3. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

the government? help? you must be kidding. a culture of drug use . it starts with children s Tylenol.  drugs are big biz and legal.   waiting for the gov is like waiting for Jesus to return   . you better have packed your lunch.

1. profile image0

nice aware, always a voice of reason

hi btw

big_smile

4. GoTo Gal profile image71
    GoTo Galposted 14 years ago

My mother's choice of drugs was alcohol.  She came from a long line of alcoholics.  I tried everything I could think of to help her.  I wanted her to quit so badly, problem was, she never wanted to quit.  She passed away this past September, still in denial that her drinking was the reason for her health problems.

I'm now watching my stepfather follow the same path.  I wish you inner strength and a strong will to stay clean.  You are young and have a long beautiful life ahead of you.  There are so many firsts and adventures ahead, don't let the drugs take away your future happiness.  My mom missed seeing her grandson by one day.  What will the drugs cause you to miss?

Good luck!!

PS  Stay away from your family as much as possible until you are invincible in your sobriety.  You said you are the only sober member.  A family like that can cause more pain and harm than they are worth.

5. FrankiesGirl6Yr profile image71
    FrankiesGirl6Yrposted 13 years ago

I think if your going to choose the path of Suboxone or Methadone "Like I did" you should defiantly be taking home some antidepressant and anxiety medication. Like you said as addict is like a new born, except we have no one to walk us through the steps on how to function. Plus there is this HUGE void that needs to filled. You just spent the past "how many every" years of your life dedicating 100% of your time to this addiction and now it gone...   This is why the % of relapse is so high. You have no idea what your suppose to do with yourself.

As for the government helping........Drug distribution is Billion dollar industry. Not only do they profit from the dirty end, but look at all the money they make with fines, bonds, probation and parole. There are many who are sitting pretty off the addiction of others.

6. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 13 years ago

i feel so sad when i read of peoples struggles, and especially when i see youngsters starting down the same path, and there seems nothing will stop them, no matter how many people try to help them see, it is not a good idea........

7. profile image50
    marymnposted 13 years ago

Thanks for sharing!!

Drug Rehab

8. profile image48
    kristy85posted 13 years ago

Drug addiction is like being in hell..
    Recovering from it is the best thing to do.

Drug Rehab Program

9. profile image0
    WizardOfOzposted 13 years ago

methadone is not recovery. methadone is in a class the same as any illicit.  Subbies are not much better.

10. profile image49
    Trincypris12posted 13 years ago

Thanks for discussing this sensational topic!!!!

drug rehab

11. nikki1 profile image60
    nikki1posted 13 years ago

May you all have the best weekend. Filled with happiness and bliss.
    smile..
    largest pizza..
    http://thm-a01.yimg.com/nimage/5c21bbe744d17556
    World largest salad..
    http://thm-a02.yimg.com/nimage/017804b32e9ebbc6
    Powerade zero..
    http://thm-a03.yimg.com/nimage/f7aa053d3d9ac722

Bona petite to all smilebig_smile lol

12. NathanSyckel profile image60
    NathanSyckelposted 13 years ago

This may or may not help you. I struggled with an opiate addiction for about a year. Cheap, easy to get, and fun! Getting off was one of the worst things I ever had to do. Physical dependence is a bitch. What made me realize that I could quit was a book by Napoleon Hill called Think and Grow Rich. It may not sound like the most relevant, but it helped me learn to control my thoughts. If you can control your thoughts, you can truly kick addiction...well I could anyway.

Just remember how terrible you know you are going to feel if you pick up again. And even though you don't feel like it now, remember that ultimately you feel better now than you will with any sort of substance. And when those terrible thoughts pop up, you've got to sort them out. The only factor in life which we have absolute control over is our thoughts. Use that control.

1. profile image48
      madison7386posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanx for sharing

drug rehab

13. wilsonallen01 profile image61
    wilsonallen01posted 13 years ago

Drug addiction is really a bad habit. In later stages it can hurt our body system a lot.

14. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

I do not think you can beat any addiction forever. It will be like a ghost of Christmas always standing behind you when you least expect it, always lurking behind, when you are stressed out,weak, tired, sick, whatever. Alcohol - the worst, as it is a social habit and people actually give it to you, they are not shocked that you are drinking, even if every single drop is adding to your problems. And it changes your personality and ability to fight it. It is terrible. I do not want anybody to experience that.

1. the clean life profile image71
      the clean lifeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes the addiction is and aways will be there, but we the drug addict or the alcoholic (in my case) has to be strong enough to say NO.  I know for the fact if I were to have ONE drink I would be done for. That was my proble, I could not just have one or two and walk a way.

2. pressingtheissue profile image60
      pressingtheissueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is possible to beat any addiction for ever. There are going to be challenges but it gets easier as time goes on. http://www.pressingtheissue.com

1. AddictionHelpZA profile image61
        AddictionHelpZAposted 13 years agoin reply to this

addictiontreatmentconsultants.com

1. mythbuster profile image70
          mythbusterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thx

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)