Texans, it's time to help Thisisoli

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I think he's moving to Austin soon. So what does he need to know? I'd help, but I've only been briefly to San Antonio and Austin. I can say that I love both places. And I've told Matt that Austin is one of the few places that I'd consider leaving Cape Cod for.

Thisisoli, when do you arrive?

2. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

I have mentioned this in another thread where Oli talked about moving from the UK to Austin, but I'll say it again here.  My husband made that big move across the pond 3 years ago.  We live only an hour away from Austin and are actually already looking at moving there ourselves in another year. 

I don't know tons about Austin living, but I'm a lifelong Texan and have tons of Texas hubs.  I'm sure my husband could give him lots of things to watch for.  I know the heat, spiders, fireants, and Texan's inability to understand their accent very easily, to be just a few.

3. profile image0

KCC I had forgotten that you're husband was from England.

I've been meaning to look at the world map and compare the size of Texas to England. Just to remind Oli of the size difference.

There are ranches in Texas that are bigger than all of Cape Cod. I remember when I was there talking to one of those ranchers and explained that we crammed in 16 individual towns into an area that size. He just shook his head.

Texas and the southwest in general is just an amazing place for me.

4. 1974 profile image69
    1974posted 14 years ago

Just remember there is no basement in the Alamo and everything in Texas is bigger.  Not a bad place to take up residence either, just like Florida, Texas is one of those states where creditors can't touch your home if it is your primary residence (I think they also protect a certain amount of cattle in Texas too).

Where you at in the Cape Nelle?  I grew up in Osterville(one of the seven villages in Barnstable).

5. profile image0

1974 I live in Sandwich. I know Osterville well. It's a beautiful part of the Cape.

1. 1974 profile image69
      1974posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love Sandwich, I just don't think I could live there just for when people ask you where you're from. "Umm, sandwich?"

One of the things I miss the most about the Cape is driving down 6A in the fall, especially in Sandwich.

Back on topic though, definitely don't step in any ant piles Oli and check your boots for scorpions as well.

6. Padrino profile image61
    Padrinoposted 14 years ago

I've been to Texas a couple of times. I can assure you they don't care how you did where you're from, they will continue to do it their way, a very unique people and the friendliest you will find anywhere.

7. profile image0
    Lecieposted 14 years ago

i heard that the summers get so hot you can't stay outside for long.

8. gracenotes profile image89
    gracenotesposted 14 years ago

For Oli,

Austin is beautiful and very near a lot of wonderful lakes and the Hill Country. As a child, I remember with fondness trips to Lake Buchanan and Lake LBJ. The Hill Country has charming towns, beautiful scenery, and so much more.  I like Bandera, Wimberley, Kerrville. I think it's a great place to retire, and so do one zillion million other people.  :-)

The climate in Austin is pretty good, and it doesn't get too cold during the winter.  The University of Texas is an interesting campus to visit, and I don't say that just because that's where I got my masters degree.  What a lovely campus.

Many people who graduate from U.T. want to stay in Austin.  I'm not sure how well they do with that.  If you can get a government job there, I think you'll be in "tall cotton."

Dell Computers is in nearby Round Rock, and isn't doing too shabbily.

But the traffic on Interstate 35 through Austin is the most crowded, dangerous section of the interstate.  I jumped for joy this week when I found out that there is a new toll road that you can use, and totally bypass Austin.  And when driving back from South Texas today, I did take that toll road!

If I go to Austin again, it will be for fun, not as a pass-through on the way to elsewhere.

9. gracenotes profile image89
    gracenotesposted 14 years ago

Oh, by the way, I did forget to mention that, just as Nelle said, San Antonio is also wonderful -- in fact, it's pretty close to Austin.  San Antonio is, to me, the more charming of the two cities, mainly because of The Riverwalk.

10. Betty Reid profile image61
    Betty Reidposted 13 years ago

Make sure you have a map in your car.  Some of the streets are kind of wacky. 

Austin calls itself the Live Music Capital of the World, so you probably want to go see some live music - any kind of live music - just to say you did.

11. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Well I don't know anything about Austin, but I've visited San Antonio and agree that it is a very charming town and not too expensive.

12. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

Two words: Rudy's Barbeque.  That's all you need to know.

13. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Any suggestions for his fiance the Vegetarian? I think maybe even vegan.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lambert's is a more upscale (and expensive) restaurant with great brisket and amazing vegetarian options.  I hope she's not vegan... the mac n cheese at Lambert's is amazing.

Otherwise, Guero's?  (That's the Mexican restaurant at the beginning of Death Proof, the Tarantino Grindhouse film).  They've often got live music.  I'm not sure if they put lard in their beans, however.

Ooooooooooh, and Torchy's Tacos.  There's an actual storefront, and a trailer in a little trailer grotto with other options.

If she's really vegan and not just vegetarian, I think they'll have to seek out some vegan restaurants.  Which I've never done while I'm there.  (My sister and her partner live there, and none of us are veggie.)

2. Betty Reid profile image61
      Betty Reidposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not vegan, but I have eaten vegan meals at Casa de Luz.  I would guess the restaurant Mr. Natural and the grocery stores Whole Foods and Central Market would have some good variety for a vegan.  Now that I think of it, even the HEB on Red River and 41st has tempeh, textured vegetable protein, tofu, veggie burgers, and canned organic soups.

14. figment profile image75
    figmentposted 13 years ago

Try the Mexican food!

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lots of authentic Mexican restaurants use lard (animal fat) in the tortillas and in the beans.

15. Fluffymetal profile image76
    Fluffymetalposted 13 years ago

Go to Barton Springs and visit the San Marcos River

1. Fluffymetal profile image76
      Fluffymetalposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Barton Springs is in Austin.  San Marcos is only 20 min south of Austin

16. prettydarkhorse profile image56
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

I live at Dallas, but if his fiancee is vegan, try Asian markets, there are lots of veggies there -- fresh but it is cheaper at Walmart hehe! Buy veggies and fruits in season, they are fresher!

17. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Haha just seen this thread!

Yes, my fiancĂ©e is vegan, and fortunately most restaurants in Austin provide some pretty good vegan alternatives.  I spent the weekend in Dallas and even had a vegan breakfast, which even I (A long time meat lover) have to admit was pretty good!

We are currently living just off the mopac on the west side of Austin, so we hae some pretty cool stuff close by, although the whole 6th street area is a fair walk!

Barton Springs is definately on my list of places to visit, I also need to 'float the river' although I will be needing to take a copious amount of sunscreen for that little adventure.

I think I might have been to the Torchy's Tacos trailer, does it have that little creekt running along the back, along with a vegan caravan and something else?

I will look out for Rudy's BBQ, however when we get around to that this place called the Salt Lick has been sold to me!

Currently I just feel like I am in a 'movie'. With things such as fire hydrants, 7/11's and even this walmart place, it feel a little surreal!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)