A Texan is gone!

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (52 posts)
  1. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

His hubs, everything, gone!  sad

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yup.
      I don't blame him.
      When one's freedom of speech is taken away in one area, it becomes a decision whether to take the crumbs offered in the other area.
      I'd do the same if it were me.  I'd refuse the crumbs and go on to somewhere better.
      Actually, HAVE done the same before.
      This site is lessened without A Texan, in my opinion;  and somewhere else, wherever he is, is probably a better place for it.

2. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 14 years ago

oh my god when?

3. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Expected that. He said he most likely would not be coming back. Very sad though.

4. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 14 years ago

Im sorry about that I liked him, he was really funny and good to talk too smile

5. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

Yeah I really liked him too! I will miss him. I was hoping he'd come back and post as a sock puppet but apparently not, else he wouldn't have removed all his hubs.
    http://hubpages.com/profile/A+Texan

1. calpol25 profile image59
      calpol25posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well if he is gone, we still have the memories of him lol smile

Im just sorry he has gone. some one must have really got to him.

6. Ron Montgomery profile image59
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

He seems to have had trouble understanding and/or following forum rules.  The rules of conduct are very clear, but he had trouble following them.

I will miss him though.  I hope he finds his way back.

1. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's very difficult to follow ambigous rules !
      for what I see some hubbers are banned for less others hubbers post

1. Greg Cremia profile image60
        Greg Cremiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ditto

2. profile image0
        china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

apparently if anyone flags or complains you are automatically banned for 3 days then one month then who knows what - on the one hand it is an ok system but on the other hand it is only certain types of people who do will complain. I don't know or care who complained about A Texan but I find it hard to imagine that his straight forward level handed abuse would be objectionable, but who knows.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
          Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that's the case.  If someone complains it starts a review process, but doesn't result in an immediate ban.

2. darkside profile image66
          darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Apparently you don't know how the reporting system works.

1. profile image0

How DOES it work?

I know I reported someone but was put in my place by Maddie.
            I don't recall A Texan saying anything nearly as bad as that person.
            But hey I learned my lesson-----never report anyone! Just fight it out and let the chips fall.  After all, what's the point of it?  Freedom of speech shouldn't be subject to fear when one is saying rightful things.
            Because (it seems to me) that the odds are stacked on the liberal side.  But whadda I know?

1. darkside profile image66

Lets say I reported your post in this thread. And I got friends of mine (assuming I had friends) to report your post. What happens is it gives a notification to the moderators. There's a few different ways it can do it but if it's like the punBB set up at SquidU where I've been a moderator, I'd get to see a few extra buttons and pages that others can't see.

There'll be a page with the reports on it, they're all queued up. And it will have a few links on it. The moderator would go and have a look at the offending post. And see that you've done absolutely nothing to warrant a report. They'd ignore it. It wouldn't matter how many people reported it, it would be ignored.

However, if you had personally attacked someone, whether warranted or not, if you had revealed personal details such as full name (if they're using a pseudonym) or phone number or address, then even if just one person reported it, something would be done about it.

Now don't take this as The Rules Of The HubPages Forums, but just as the opinion of someone who has moderated and adminned several forums, but if it were something slight, it could be edited and removed. vBulletin, in my opinion, is a better forum software than punBB (and I've also had experienced with phpBB, simplemachines and a couple of other lesser known applications). In vBulletin a note can be left by the moderator that written right at the bottom of the forum post, and it also stamps it with time and date.

It would depend on the member and their infraction. If the member is long standing and has never made a mistake, and the reported mistake was small, the benefit of the doubt could be given, and say if it were an affiliate link, it would be removed, and there'd be no fuss or bother about it. If it were a newbie and they made the same mistake, still no drama. Now if the long standing member had done it a few times, they could be cautioned. If a new member had done it with every time post, then they could be suspended. Or banned. Sometimes it is blatantly obvious when a person is a serial pest. Other times it might be a spam bot, so you'd block its IP. And it won't be able to post or sign up a new account.

Now if a person were to submit reports on one person ALL THE TIME and those reports were unwarranted, then it's more likely that the reporter will be cautioned, because all they're doing is wasting the moderators time. If they continued, then they could be banned.

Sometimes people submit reports because they don't agree with the other persons opinion. No obvious infraction has taken place. Those just get ignored.

If a person starts to display a track record of rule breaking, suspensions are in order. If they're breaking several rules, and attacking several people, and have been given plenty of chances, you'd just slap them with a permanent ban.

The good thing about vBulletin is that you can set a ban time, and when the member tries to access the site they'll be banned from even reading the forum threads, but it will give them a time and date of when they're allowed back.

At one forum where I was a moderator and promoted to admin privileges, I would save bannings for spammers, and give out 1, 3 or 7 day suspensions depending on the infraction. I had even given out 12 hour suspensions, with a note that the person is obviously flustered and needs to chill out.

Here at HubPages, from what I've seen, links will be snipped if they're promotional or inappropriate, posts have been deleted, and whole threads closed, without notifying the member. Which is fine.

Then there have been 3 day suspensions, 1 week suspensions, 30 day suspensions. I may have read somewhere that A Texan was getting a 90 day suspension, and if he had to wait that long he wasn't bothered coming back. And then a permanent suspension.

Though the permanent ones have been known to be lifted. But the offenders, at least three that I know, have come back and then continued to behave in both a childish and disgraceful manner, and they got banned again. And in some cases again, again and again. And they wonder why they're not allowed back?

Running a forum is both tricky and exhausting. If you allow a free for all, it becomes a hot bed of seething tension and will eventually evolve into personal attacks. It doesn't matter if it's writers, car enthusiasts, geeks, Christians (even if they're all from the same church) or even atheists, they'll eventually turn on each other and rip each other apart if there is no moderation in place.

So you need moderation. And it's hard to find the happy balance of censorship and giving people the benefit of the doubt. So it will always lean towards there being decisions that some people don't like.

Ideally there should be some commentary when decisions are made. <snipped link> is good, but it would be better if there were a link that went to a page that explained why links were snipped and what would happen if the offender kept on doing it.

When a thread is closed I would put an explanation as to why it was closed. Otherwise most of the time people go start another one anyway. Or they end up leaving. Most people don't mind being told where they've gone wrong or if in fact it wasn't their fault that the thread was closed.

I honestly think that the staff here are snowed under because they're too busy putting out brush fires to be able to find the time to put a policy and procedures in place.

Alternately everyone here could chill out and learn to get along. But there are people who are trolls and those that love doing their sockpuppet shows and they think they're the main attraction and everyone is here for them. It's a vicious cycle.

So if you see someone you believe has broken a rule, use the report button. HP HQ aren't able to read every single thread. It's the loyal members who are their eyes and ears. Staff will action it if they feel it necessary.

1. AEvans profile image70
                AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

@ Darkside I completely agree! smile

2. profile image0

Thanks for the explanation as you see it.

I personally don't see why the forums would be hard to moderate!  Unless of course there AREN'T very many moderators, then I can understand that!
                But when it comes to the number of people who report a certain post or thread.....that leads to biased action I think, because often a group of cyber bullies end up getting people banned,  when, if the mod would just read the posts/threads in context and in context of the entire forum allowances, it might have a different outcome.

And of course it always depends on the personal views of the moderator/s.......that much is obvious at any site.

Oh well.  I'm tired of beating this to a pulp! lol
                I'm not crazy about pseudonyms and multiple accounts and all that.  Keep life as simple as possible; say what ya mean and mean what ya say and be ready to be accountable for it.   Those are my mottos (part of 'em anyway).   But I won't pass up a final opportunity to say something to someone who befriended me when I was being ganged-up-on by some of the meaner posters here, so...........

Hey------------A TEXAN !!
                If you're in "here" or out "there" somewhere----------

HOWDY!!!!

oh wait---I'm a hillbilly, so I gotta say it this way-------

HOWDEEEEEEE!!   wink

haha

Peace; Love; keep on truckin' no matter what!   big_smile

1. darkside profile image66

This is an active forum, and there's plenty of banter happening, and some people are deliberately being trolls and there is sockpuppet activity, so it would be hard in terms of it being time consuming.

And it doesn't matter how many people report a thread, if it's not breaking site rules, they won't do anything about it.

You're right about context though, to a degree. If a person is personally attacking someone, they run the risk of being suspended. What caused them to personally attack? It might be buried somewhere in 15 pages of forum posts. The person they're attacking might have attacked someone else. But does that make it right? This person should have reported the other person instead of taking matters into their own hand and escalating the problem.

And the personal views of the moderators won't matter. They haven't got involved in the conversation and have no vested interest in it. They're paid HubPages staff. And there aren't that many of them.

7. Pr0metheus profile image57
    Pr0metheusposted 14 years ago

Wow, and I was about to post something saying he was right.  I guess he'll never get to see that from me.

8. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

aaa he left completely completely? that is too sad. I'm gonna miss him too sad

9. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

sad

10. Fluffymetal profile image76
    Fluffymetalposted 14 years ago

That's a Texan for ya

11. Ron Montgomery profile image59
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

I think he got a new job decidin' whut should be in textbooks.

None of that monkey-lution stuff.

12. Dao Hoa profile image59
    Dao Hoaposted 14 years ago

How sad! I will miss him too.

1. Faybe Bay profile image65
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I miss him too. Maybe we'll run into him again somewhere. He's been gone 10 days though.

13. profile image0
    getmybackposted 14 years ago

Faybe thank you so kindly, I'll be by soon for sure and excited to return the favor

1. Faybe Bay profile image65
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey I look for new people, every chance I get. I don't want to lose people. We lose many and never even know until it's too late. We lost A Texan... He was an okay guy, I tried to catch him, but he left anyway.

I want to see you stay, everyone needs some music in their life. smile

1. profile image0
        Iðunnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I caught some of his stuff, he definitely had his own opinions and didn't waver.  He posted in one of my pol hubs and even though his opinion differed from my editorial he was very courteous about it.  Direct but courteous.  A good mix.  Shame he left.

14. profile image0
    blatvaposted 14 years ago

This makes me terribly sad hmm

15. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Gotta respect him for sticking to his guns and not being a flouncer.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yup - I will miss him as well. He could take it as well as hand it out. big_smile

2. profile image0
      Iðunnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I tend to like people who are introspective enough to have formed an opinion and willing to make their case passionately, as well.  It's certainly something to respect, especially if the person is a courteous debater.

16. skyfire profile image81
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

sad

17. theirishobserver. profile image62
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

A Texan was a fine contributor and I will miss him - however - I dont know the circumstances of his departure so I cant comment further - smile

18. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years ago

Safe travels, A Texan, wherever your cyber journey leads you.

19. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

It's a shame to see Hubpages shoot themselves in the foot again, and lose another good writer. maybe the ban limits are too excessive, I don't know if A Texans punishment was warranted or not, but mabye if the ban lasts for days instead of months it will get the point across without forcing people to find a new platform.

20. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 14 years ago

He's gone like a freight train, gone like yesterday
    Gone like a soldier in the Civil War, bang, bang
    Gone like a '59 Cadillac
    Like all the good things that ain't never comin' back
    He's gone, gone, gone, gone, he's gone  -- Montgomery Gentry

Can't he come back in another incarnation?

1. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So are you trying to say he is no longer here??

2. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 14 years ago

I reckon A texan is still among us in suitable disguise and more talkative than before.

1. AEvans profile image70
        AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I concur! smile

3. donotfear profile image84
      donotfearposted 14 years ago

Texan was one cool dude. He's the kinda guy I'd wanna hang out with.....fun, blunt, and outgoing. I liked his opinions.  I wonder if he's on FB? Anyone know? I'd like to stay in contact with him.

4. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years ago

A loss to hubpages - he never did me any harm, was always polite and charming to me #sighs#

5. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I'm not surprised. The Hubs are fun but, as you would expect there is a liberal, antiestablishment and atheist bias. This is more their world on the Hubs and they get more slack. The artsy fartsy crowd has always been overly opinionated about stuff they don't know anything about. I guess being creative is kinda like having half your brain in LaLa land. The atheists are pretty damn evil and they could be inspired to act out like they do.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow!

That is really, really...

2. Dorsi profile image86
        Dorsiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

La la land? I prefer to say I am "right and left" brain balanced...lol

6. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years ago

I was rather fond of Atexan too. Whilst we were polar opposite in our views about almost everything politically, I liked the way he handled himself... a really likeable chap actually.... I had initially dismissed him as a troll. Thankfully I pretty much told him all of this on one of his hubs before he left.

7. Will Say Plenty profile image59
      Will Say Plentyposted 14 years ago

Yup, A texan is gone, lyricsingray was gone for awhile, wsp2469 is gone, his friends who signed up were banned . . . who else in the past few months?

1. profile image0
        wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

How do you know all of these people if you just joined 10 days ago?  Who really is anyone here?  wink

1. Will Say Plenty profile image59
          Will Say Plentyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know them because I have been following HP for almost a year and, well, send me an e-mail if you really wanna know.

1. profile image0
            wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why hide though?  Just curious...  I really don't get it.  I do understand if this is your ONLY persona who comes to the forums, though.  I know plenty of people who have multiple accounts for various niches, but only one ever posts in the forums.

1. Will Say Plenty profile image59
              Will Say Plentyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, thanks for that information.  it makes me feel a little more secure but you can e-mail me if you wish!

8. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

SEC wins again next year, Tex!  Longhorns?  You tell me!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)