Can a womans emotions be settled by a just man listening to her?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (32 posts)
  1. deanjc1970 profile image60
    deanjc1970posted 14 years ago

Yes I believe it can. I have been married twice(currently successfully)and I also have 5 daughters from teenage to 3 and I can tell you the technique that works best for me is JUST listening and cudling. Everytime I cut i with solutions it foes pear shaped. Woman need a hearing ear and most of the time no more than that. Heck I reckon this is why these days girls love gay men, for their listening skills. Men take this advice and stop trying to fix everything, hear them out give them a cuddle and move on!!

1. profile image0
      china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Listening is good in any situation - but isn't this a sexist question that suggests men are superior to women ?

1. Hokey profile image60
        Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe it is. Just looking at a fundamental question from one aspect.

1. profile image0
          china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe - it just smells of 'just man' solving 'her' emotional problems,   maybe I am still hyped up after the fighting threads last night (for me) big_smile

1. Hokey profile image60

Maybe so. smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think listening helps a lot, real listening on both parts.
        no one likes to be judged or told what to do unless they ask.
        I have a male friend who I had to back off from because he so often judged what I said or gave me his opinion when I didn't ask.
        maybe that is sexist? he felt he was superior to me?

china, I don't see this as a sexist question. I guess some could, but I don't think he meant it that way at all. listening can say much more than words.

deanjc1970posted 14 years agoin reply to this

for some reason as a man I feel a need to fix peoples problems when I hear of them. I am now starting to realise mostly whats needed is a hearing ear

3. deanjc1970 profile image60

no not really. I have asked it from a mans view

2. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

So so true. Often a woman just desires for her man to listen to her without suggestions of fixing 'it'. It does wonders.

seems it takes us men some time to work that out

3. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Sometimes that is all anyone needs is someone to pay attention and listen and not just wait to talk.

pay attention is a good point. us men are easily distracted and when listening to women we find our selves thinking about sex, beer and sport LOL!!

2. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So very true Hokey smile

1. Hokey profile image60

It really is true. That is part of my practice. When someone else is talking I clear my mind of all thoughts so that I may be totally present to give them they attention they deserve.

I find this hard to do as I seem to multi task in my mind. However its much more polite to do so

4. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

it takes active listening skills to communicate well, with anyone.  Of course, cuddling doesn't hurt.  smile

5. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

I think what I need mostly is, yes, for him to listen. But in addition, I need words of affirmation and touch. These are part of the 5 love languages. Without these, I don't feel loved.

Now everyone has their own love language. To some, it's Quality time or Receiving gifts or Acts of service.

But for emotions to truly settle, listening can aid in healing. According to each person's own 'love tank'.

6. caprack profile image61
    caprackposted 14 years ago

Yes Listening can help ease her emotions. In fact listening when she is upset and even gripping you out without fighting back can get her to finally calm down. I have found that when I am attentive and talk back to her calmly and slowly it brings her down to a calmer level.

I have found the same
      thanks

7. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

I'd also like to add that unless one truly loves themselves, they may never feel settled.

1. Hokey profile image60

Exactly. You cannot love another unless you love yourself. Or else you are seeking validation of yourself through another. Then you are not loving to love. You are loving to be loved.

2. deanjc1970 profile image60

so true.takes many years to work this one out. I am 39 and am still working on this one

8. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

This is so easy! Once it's determined that the only way out may be a trip to Dillards. Call her sister then give her the phone and tell her,"Your sister wants to talk to you!"

I am from Australia whats dillards

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

An upscale department store. Using her sister to deflect the issue is a lot cheaper.big_smile

9. srwnson profile image60
    srwnsonposted 14 years ago

LoL Or, you could choose the option I mentioned in the guy thread...knock back a couple Martoni's ask "what is the matter dear?" then hit the couch.Don't forget the "I understand Babe" every 20 minutes or so.

10. brianzen profile image59
    brianzenposted 14 years ago

Hello

11. profile image0
    JeanMeriamposted 14 years ago

Real listening is good for everyone, but I don't think just women need that. And smug suggestions are irritating.

"oh my god, I have so much to do"

"Well you really should be more organized."

Yah!

true! women pick up on everything, very intuitive creatures. As is said, treat others how you want to be treated!

12. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

This is a serious answer. Listen and don't try to fix it just be a friend.smile

13. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I find it best to switch 'em on the legs real smart. That changes the emotion real quick like. Then we cuddle as I kiss her hurt away

14. profile image0
    Dog On A Missionposted 14 years ago

No, that's a myth.

Don't believe me?

Try it some time. Be the super-attentive "good listener" and see where that gets you!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)