"Obama to House: Health Care Reform is in Your Hands": CBS

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (40 posts)
  1. fishskinfreak2008 profile image60
    fishskinfreak2008posted 14 years ago

Web-site/URL: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162- … ?tag=stack

This vote will be close yet again. Obama came to power, promising to reduce the craziness on Capitol Hill and unite people as Americans. So far, this hasn't happened.

1. ledefensetech profile image70
      ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Of course not.  His high handedness and arrogance have made things worse.

2. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 14 years ago

Obama has offered republicans every chance to be included. He has asked for ideas and been willing to compromise.

The GOP has opposed Obama at every turn. Presidentaial nominations are blocked. The use of the fillibuster has reached record heights and turned the Senate into a black hole for legislation - nothing comes out - while the country suffers.

Onama and the democrats are not to blame for the fact that the GOP lays down on the tracks every time we want to move something.

1. fishskinfreak2008 profile image60
      fishskinfreak2008posted 14 years agoin reply to this

BINGO

3. ledefensetech profile image70
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

What a load of crap.  He shut them completely out of the crafting of the health care bill and then cries that no Republican wants to get on board.  That's because they don't want to commit political suicide.

Are you stupid or something?  Until late December the Dems had a majority in the House and a supermajority in the Senate.  The Republicans couldn't stop them no matter what the Dems did.  It's been the Democrats who have been stalling this bill.  Seriously aren't you the least bit ashamed of getting things wrong all the time?

Or don't you know what it means to have a majority and supermajority in the House and Senate?

1. Ralph Deeds profile image67
      Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wrong again Ldt!

Steele, from the ad's script:

"The Democrats are accusing us Republicans of trying to delay and stonewall their government takeover of health care. You know what? They're finally right."

Here's GOP senator Jim Demint vowing to "break Obama."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHV4nDS501Y

1. creepy profile image56
        creepyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hes not wrong you are

a majority of democrats couldnt pass their own health care plan and the lying left blames republicans

the majority of americans are not buying the democrat lies anymore

Deal with it Creepy! Today is a great, historic day in America! I haven't notice you coming out in favor of anything. You must be in favor of something??

deal with what   i am in favor of freedom personal rights and capitalism

in november we will boot out the dems just as we did in the early nineties

deal with that

"i am in favor of freedom personal rights and capitalism"

Me too. So is Obama and every Democrat. What are you smoking?

the government owning car companies is capitalism

making me buy health insurance i dont want or need is protecting my personal freedom

what am i smoking

a better question is would you like a hit of what im smoking

and the answer is no   it stunts intelligence

If you lived in Michigan you would be very happy for the TEMPORARY government takeover of GM and Chrysler. It was the least the government could do after crucifying American manufacturing workers on a cross of blind devotion to "free" trade. Why don't you put your ideas, if you actually have any, in a few hubs instead of just trolling the forums?

of course the corrupt unions and their devotion to mediocrity had nothing to do with the failings of the car manufactures

trolling you mean having an opinion contrary to yours is trolling

yeah

put the pipe down now

2. wyanjen profile image69
                    wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

pardon me for butting in...

Ralph, thanks for putting the facts out there that so many people don't seem to acknowledge or understand. You're my Michigan Hero lol

Regarding the UAW: Ford is about to cut about 1000 jobs, and the guys are cheering outright. They are happy to see the house cleaning. There is no corruption there.
                    I am one of the thousands of folks whose job was saved by the government loans even though my job is completely unrelated to the industry.

I have a friend who is ill and cannot get health insurance. It is not a terminal condition but without treatment she is dying. She has ZERO medication right now. People who argue against the bill need to realize that this is happening. I'm so frustrated with the folks whose the overly broad anti-Obama rhetoric completely ignores the fact that people are dying due to the train wreck that is our current health care system.

2. profile image0
            Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I will grant you the "historic" part of that statement, Ralph.

Great?  Not so much.

2. lovemychris profile image76
          lovemychrisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh give it up! it's all politics!
          Because Ryan is giving this big shpeil on the floor right now, and it struck me that he could have given the exact same shpeil about Bush's tax cuts! Or Bush's "war"! It's all bs. Because when they want money, they get it. Look at the military.

Ryan is shilling for the Insurance Industry or Big Pharma or Doctors, or something...he could care less about the cost.
          Because they never ever care when they are spending it.

It's all such a sham.
          We have enough for everybody in this country. We just don't like to SHARE.

god-now I've GOT to get off this computer!!!

2. JOE BARNETT profile image60
      JOE BARNETTposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LEDEF- it's good to be passionate about your beliefs but it's prudent to become informed before before that decision. on this topic you are totally wrong!Obama asked for the republicans help over and over again till the people started saying "if he asks them again, i'm gonna think he's crazy" he was doing his job. republicans have received their gov't checks and done not one thing to help this country and that is their job. whats your opinion on that?

i realize you asked someone else but i cant seem to help myself

the republicans are not supposed to help the president pass his agenda they are supposed to oppose him  having said that they did want to be involved with real reform but this bill isnt real reform

so in conclusion the republicans have earned their checks in representing their constituents and a lot of democrat constituents

If the Republicans had been smart they would have accepted Obama's proposal to cooperate and work out a reasonable compromise in the public interest. Instead they bet the farm as the "party of NO!" They may ultimately regret this losing bet.

2. Sab Oh profile image57
        Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Obama asked for the republicans help over and over again "

No, obama and his minions grudgingly offered Republicans the opportunity to agree to everything the dems wanted or to STFU and go away. Political nonsense.

4. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years ago

Received this tweet from the President.  Thought it might add something to this forum topic. 

BarackObama

This is why I'm here, and why I'm fighting so hard for health reform: http://bit.ly/cxVoFz tweeted about 5 hours ago via web

5. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 14 years ago

That was a cool tweet! And if I had my way, those Blue Dogs would go find another party...or start one of their own...the Yellow Republicans or something lol.

Go Obama! Healthcare for all! It won't be perfect, but it's a start.
    And then Financial reform..getting out of the "wars"...More jobs bills...Just Do It. The Repubs would- with 0 care for the other side...you've been too nice already.
    Unless they change their ways, which looks highly unlikely.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad you enjoyed the tweet.  I love twitter!  onebrncowco Bye all!  We will soon know the result, and have more to talk about tomorrow.

6. creepy profile image56
    creepyposted 14 years ago

The UAW is the most idealistic, cleanest and most uncoruptible union in the history of the U.S.

sure it is    uncorrupted is the word you seek

uncorrupted means they are just not as corrupt compared to the teamsters

ceo signature  that reminds me of the godfather   either your signature or your brains will be on this contract

do you have any more fairy tales

are you personally attacking me isnt that against the rules

Creepy, in contrast to you, wyanjen and I actually know something about the auto industry based on personal experience. You obviously are repeating, lies and misconceptions you've picked up from right-wing anti-union propaganda. If I felt like it I could write a book about what was wrong with the UAW and the auto company managements. Both were far from perfect. But your criticism is far off base.

lies and misconceptions about unions

teamsters mired in corruption    lie

garment workers union     misconception

service workers union     misunderstanding

united auto workers union    http://www.wsws.org/articles/2001/oct2001/uaw-o06.shtml

7. JON EWALL profile image61
    JON EWALLposted 14 years ago

Hubbers

Tomorrow will be a new day, the sun will rise somewhere in our great nation.

The Dem's and Obama got the votes, that was important to Obama and the radical leaders of the democrat party.

The constitution is under attack, Washington bureaucrats are celebrating over a win on healthcare reform.

When the smoke settles down and the Supreme Court reviews the the law suites filed by the states, maybe then the people will get the true facts on how the 111th congress (12% approval rating )passed the healthcare reform bill.

8. Steve 3.0 profile image63
    Steve 3.0posted 14 years ago

It has been interesting watching this from the UK.  I am sure we don't get the full story over here but they had clips on the news of people that had bad experiences with our national health service (NHS).  The majority of people over here support the NHS, that is obvious because there are very few politicians that speak out against it.  Some people have bad experiences but that also happens with private health care.  There are also millions of people that have had good treatment without having to pay.  Supporting the NHS is used as a vote winner here.  I like the choice we have, paying in to a service that is there for everyone but also having the option to go private.  I just hope you can sort something out that works as well in the US, I know it is a very different country, much bigger with a larger population and what works for us might not for you.

9. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 14 years ago

Yes-we need to switch our thinking that the most important thing...the be all and end all of all of life's endeavors in the world is for people to make lots and lots of money no matter who suffers, who dies, who lives in pain, whose kids go without, whose parents go without heat, whose mom can't afford medication, whose father has to worry on a daily basis because he can't afford the healthcare that his family needs.

Lust for money is the root of all evil, and we're going to strike at that root until we wake up and see the light.
    Next up-financial reform....ahhh yes, legalized gambling and loan sharking of the three pieced suits. Usury is such an ugly practice.

A country is judged by how they treat their citizens. All of you who don't care about your fellow citizens....
    I think Ruuussshhhh is booking a flight out of here....Dubai doesn't seem to give one thought for "the little people", maybe you would find that type of atmosphere more to your liking? Not telling you to leave, just offering a suggestion....
    Ha. Just kidding. Unlike the wing-nutters, I would never suggest such a thing. But Russshhhhh DID say he would leave if this healthbill passed. (oh please please God...make him do it!)

Flight 203 of the Blow-Hards, boarding at gate 1.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)