The Dishwasher----Nuisance or Convenience?

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (40 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

I've never had a dishwasher until this past year.  Never wanted one, 'cause I figured I could wash 'em manually faster and better than taking time to rinse 'em off and then load the dishwasher and then later take 'em out and inspect 'em to see if they really got clean.....plus I figured it uses more water than washing dishes by hand.

I've used it twice.  I guess sometimes it's okay. 

Who likes a dishwasher and who doesn't?

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I never had one. My mother in law loved hers when it was new, but its such a pain now. higher electric bills, pre wash the dishes, then you have to rinse them off after as the machine leaves chunks behind
      I would rather just wash them once and be done. If I dont let them pile up, it takes five minutes to get them over with.

2. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Convenience. I don't use it all the time. But when company is over, I'd rather load the dishwasher and be able to spend time with my friends.

3. drej2522 profile image69
    drej2522posted 14 years ago

I prefer the dishwasher when it comes to glasses...that way you don't have to stuff the sponge and your hand down the into that tight space.

Wait...hold on...don't take this out of context people!

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I live in an apartment and don't have room for a full size dishwasher, however, I do have counter-top dishwasher, I have on a cart. I do not use it much, and the fact that you bring up this particular topic is irony for me.

Reason being, is that I actually used it for the first time in 6 months. I usually wash dishes by hand, because it is actually quicker to get them done. At most, it takes 10 minutes of my time.

Interesting topic. smile

5. profile image0
    Wendi Mposted 14 years ago

I live with 2 guys...a dishwasher is a MUST! 

That way I can run around and clean everything else while the dishes are being cleaned.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Wendi, how are you doing today? smile Nice to see you. smile

6. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Nice picture. smile wink

7. wavegirl22 profile image49
    wavegirl22posted 14 years ago

I like that I have one but usually dont load it unless company is coming. I rather wash as I go, cause the worst part is for me to have ti empthy it!

1. drej2522 profile image69
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hate emptying the silverware...OMG, I hate that crap!! Hate!

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me too!

8. profile image0

A couple times when I wasn't feeling well, my husband offered to do dishes.
    I thought he meant actually do dishes by hand.
    But of course he stuck 'em in the dishwasher!
    Funny, but he never offered until we had a dishwasher, no matter how bad I was feeling.  ha

9. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

I have three teenage children (and all of their friends), my wife likes to cook, and I am male and therefore lazy and thoughtless.

The fact is, teenagers never stop eating.  Ever.  Laws of physics are defied by the volume they consume. Another fact is teenagers have a hormonal chemical that makes putting dishes into a dishwasher cause them to have physical pain and debilitating psychological illness (symptoms include moaning, groaning, sighing and ocular spasms that cause their eyes to roll).  They are also incapable of putting dishes away should said dishes somehow magically get IN to a dishwasher.  Doing this releases the same hormones mentioned above.

Old married males are not much better, though the chemical that impedes them is often found in bottles rather than glands.

The result of all that is that having a dishwasher really means having a mountain of dishes piled in your sink that will not fit into the dishwasher because that is still full from the initial load placed therein x-number of years ago, not to mention that the pile in the sink wouldn't all fit into the dishwasher even if it were empty given how long it's been accumulating and therefore represents a task far too large and undesirable to be undertaken by anyone, thus engendering, in perpetuity, sustained growth that might one day be mistaken for an ancient burial mound or collapsed pyramid by alien archaeologists.

Frankly, a dishwasher is the most ironic of all appliances, its name in total opposition of its end results. I recommend doing them by hand at the culmination of each meal and being done with it.  Easier to make a kid wash on the spot than have all those opportunities to procrastinate.

10. profile image0

LOL

Shadesbreath, that's funny!

11. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

We wash first and put them in the dishwasher to be sterilized. I know it's nutty but we sleep better this way.big_smile

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Most home-use dishwashers don't get hot enough to sanitize the dishes.  They heat to about 150 degrees, but 180 for a sustained period is required to sanitize.

Sleep well wink

12. profile image0

No, actually that makes sense, sneakorocksolid.

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Brenda! I owe you a hug!smile

13. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

I love my dishwasher and it is among the last things I would give up in the category of appliances.

I just do not like hand dishwashing-- but I do like to get sparkling clean dishes and especially glassware that I know are sparking and sanitary.

I never use the "dry" cycle, I open the washer and let the steam infuse the kitchen while the dishes dry. I have never used the "dry cycle" on my current dishwasher (the one that used the most energy).

I live in a dry climate and the moisture emitted is also good for the wood cabinets.

I  'dishwash' my dusty nicknacks, dog toys, cooktop plates and grates, refrigerator shelves and bins, and other misc. items that I would hate to hand wash.

14. profile image0

Then pay up, sneako! wink
    I need a hug this morning.
    It's a beautiful sunny day here, but I'm having trouble waking up.
    Blessings! big_smile

15. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

What an intersting thread and thanks Brenda for posting it.
    I was poor all my married life and couldn't afford a dishwasher. then I finally got one! By that time I had six kids living at home and it was great!
    We used so many dishes every day that there just wasn't room on the drainer for them all.
    I'm a great believer in letting dishes dry naturally, because there are germs on the dish towel.
    But after six months or so, the 'novelty' of the dishwasher wore off.
    Things had to be rinsed before going in, otherwise there was still food grains on the plates/cutlery.
    Loading up and putting the the cycle on was easy, emptying it less so, especially seeing that involved a lot of bending down.
    Since moving to Spain 7 years ago, I have not used the dishwashwer, despite brnging it with me. It has never been plumbed in.
    I've found I actually LIKE washing dishes by hand. It's one of the few pleasures I have left in life.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Noooo, say it ain't so Izzy! 

I've never had a dishwasher and I don't think I'd ever be tempted to buy one.  As well as the need to pre-rinse everything as mentioned several times here, they also have an annoying tendency to wear the pattern off your china and sandblast your glassware. 

And I don't know how much water/fuel the average dishwasher uses, but I'm betting it's way more than what you'd use if you washed the equivalent amount of crockery by hand.  Something to bear in mind as our utility bills soar ever heavenward.

16. profile image0

Pleasures?
    I bet you're the first person who's ever called it a pleasure!
    But you're right!
    It was one of the staples of my Mom's life, a chore that still means something to her!   And me too, now that I think about it.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is a pleasure, especially on a cold day, to put your hands in warm/hot water for a little while. I've never liked drying dishes. My dish drain dry, and if I'm lucky I can bully him into putting them away.
      But washing them?
      No probs x

1. profile image0

I was going to say that!! I wash dishes on purpuse to warm up...Ive done them 3 times today!!  smile

17. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

My dishwasher died about a year ago, and we haven't replaced it.  It was wonderful to have when I ran a daycare, because by using bleach on the first rinse and then running a second rinse, it counted for using the '3 sink' method of dish washing. 

Owning one would be nice, but it is far from necessary.  With my family of seven, I spend about 1/2 hour a day doing dishes, and probably use much less water than a dishwasher would.

18. gracenotes profile image89
    gracenotesposted 14 years ago

If I had soft water, I would use my dishwasher a lot, because I know it would do a good job.  (But getting a water softener just isn't going to happen).

Instead, I go through long periods when I do dishes by hand.  I switch off sometimes so my dishwasher does get some use.  I have never used the heating element on the dishwasher.

19. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 14 years ago

I have always washed dishes by hand at home, I have never wanted a dishwasher as past experiences taught me a thing or two with them when I worked in a cafe, plus I find you do a better yourself than the dishwasher does plus they don't always get all the dirt off the plates, I suppose its that old cliche, "If you want a job done right, do it yourself."

20. west40 profile image60
    west40posted 14 years ago

I have a dishwasher but use it very rarely - my electric bill was skyrocketing and I needed to try and get it down - soooo, lights get turned off, washing machine uses cold water only cycle and no using the dishwasher - bill has dropped and I have a little extra money in my pocket

21. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

I love having a dishwasher. I like being able to toss the dishes in there and keep the sink and counters clear..I know being single I could probably live without one and do them by hand...but sometimes I'm lazy and they would sit there in the sink. big_smile

22. Chloe Comfort profile image59
    Chloe Comfortposted 14 years ago

We're a family of four and I use it most days, especially in the evening after dinner - other than that, I'll hand wash the few dishes, etc. along the way. When I do use it I always make sure it's a full load or I feel like I'm being wasteful. Definitely makes it easier to get other things completed while the dishes are being done.

23. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

My dishwasher can be a nuisance but I love her we have been together for 17 years and still happy.

shoutout to my wife LOL

1. profile image0

lol
      thats too funny, whenever people ask, "do you have a dishwasher?" my hubby says.."yes, I do..and she's hot!!"  lol

I know that sounds dumb, but people really do ask us if we have a dishwasher, for some reason? 'till this very second I never wondered why?

24. profile image0

haha Arthur that's sweet!  Congrats to you both!

25. Paradise7 profile image70
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

I had a dishwasher and never used it much.  It doesn't scrub pots and pans.  I ended up pre-washing all the cooking dishes by hand, anyway, so I just finally said the heck with it, I'll do 'em all by hand.

I think they ARE wasteful and unnecessary, but hey, if you like your dishwasher, that's perfectly OK with me!

26. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

I never thought I would actually use a dishwasher - I thought it would use too much water, I didn't like the "sandblasted" appearance on the glasses, and it involved a lot of bending.  Since I bought a home with a dishwasher I thought I would try it.  The owners manual had said High water temperature causes the sandblast appearance, so I turned down the water heater and gave it a shot.  I found my water usage is about the same, so why not use it?  Seems silly to me, actually, cuz it is more work,takes over 2 hours to complete the cycle and I still have some items I have to handwash cuz they dont fit in the dishwasher. But I like it cuz then I dont have a dishdrain full of dishes waiting to be put away when they are dry and I have kids to empty it when the cycle is done.

27. europewalker profile image78
    europewalkerposted 14 years ago

I have a dishwasher and never use it. Hand washing is faster and takes less time.

28. plussizepixie profile image59
    plussizepixieposted 14 years ago

I have a dishwasher and with 5 children it is a real time saver for me. The dishwasher is only ever put on when it is full usually at the end of the day after our evening meal but I still manually wash up at lunchtime if I have cooked for just a couple of us.

29. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Never had a dishwasher, because they take up too much space and are another machine which will go wrong after a short while of use, so they are a convenience but a nuisance at the same time!!

30. lakeerieartists profile image63
    lakeerieartistsposted 14 years ago

We use our dishwasher a lot.  Our teenagers eat a lot, we are not home much, and it saves a lot of time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)