NFL Football Changes O.T. Rule

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

Just saw on ESPN that the NFL is changing the overtime rule in the Playoffs. And here is an internet link on Yahoo Sports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a … ;type=lgns

"Starting next season, if a team wins the coin toss and then kicks a field goal, the other team gets the ball. If that next series ends with another field goal, play will continue under the current sudden-death rules.

If the team winning the toss immediately scores a touchdown, however, the game is over.

1. misterwriter123 profile image60
      misterwriter123posted 13 years agoin reply to this

too confusing keep it the same

2. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Wow that's really going to piss off the handicappers.  I don't like the idea. It's fine for college but come on, this is the pros.

Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know...maybe I am just used to the way things are...but I preferred the old OT rule. Now...if my team lost I felt different, but some things should stay the same. Like you said...this is the pros!!!

And to add.....each team has a 'D_E_F_E_N_S_E".....that is part of the game!

1. drej2522 profile image67
          drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I agree...defense is a big part of the game, no doubt. However, each team should be allowed to counter. Either way, if the defense fails then you only get to see one facet of each team. You should be able to see all of them, offense, defense, and special teams.

Imagine that in basketball...first team to score in OT wins...hell, you can use the same argument. You still have to play defense!

Answer: Wrong! big_smile

Well basketball is totally different than pro football.  The thing is, we have seen all of the offense, special teams and defense already for 4 quarters.
            Possible injuries is a big reason so many teams have been against a change in the past. Injury risk is higher the longer the game is played.
            But...this is just how I feel about the OT rule.

2. drej2522 profile image67

okay, I am going to have to disagree here! The 'previous' OT rule was outrageous and ridiculous. I don't know the stat, but I am certain that the team that won the coin toss won more times than lost. I say it's extremely unfair...you don't play 60 minutes of great football just for it to be decided by a coin toss and a few first downs.

Now, I'm not sure if the new rule is any better, but I think it is clear that the old rule is ridiculous. Look at the Vikings/Saints playoff game...what a terrible way to see that game end!

3. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

LOL liberalism hit the NFL, everyone should be a winner or at least have one last shot at it.

lol...can't sports even be sacred anymore.

I still believe the Networks wanted Brett Favre (Minnesota Vikings) in the Superbowl to face Peyton Manning. It was the dream match-up "Favre vs Manning" and it didn't happen. The Minnesota - N.O. game was talked up in the meetings before the rule changed.
      If Minnesota's defense had done it's job, Minnesota would have won...period! They didn't, they lost.

4. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 14 years ago

I think I like the overtime change.  It always bugged me that you win a coin toss, kick a field goal and win.  This is better.

1. livewithrichard profile image73
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For college, yea! For the NFL, heck no! Let the D earn their pay along with the glory.

5. mumbles mcshakey profile image61
    mumbles mcshakeyposted 14 years ago

I think Mike Ditka said it best.

If you don't want to lose on the first possession of overtime, try playing defense for a change.

I admit I don't like the current rule, but I am not sure this is the answer.

6. Michael Willis profile image67

There will be those who like the change and those who do not. I am just one who does not. I agree with Richard, let the defense earn their pay.

7. drej2522 profile image67
    drej2522posted 14 years ago

errr....okay, why even play an entire game then? Let's just flip a coin and then whomever scores first wins.

Still need to play defense! errrr, no!

8. drej2522 profile image67
    drej2522posted 14 years ago

oh yeah, it's definitely different opinions and we are both set in the beliefs. Which is what makes America awesome.

And again, I'm not saying I like this new rule. I am just totally against the old rule.

And yes, basketball and football are totally two different sports...I know that! However, if you can justify why it wouldn't be fair in basketball then I think the same applies for football. You're changing the game when you implement a first score rule. It's no longer the same game that you just watched for four quarters.

And as far as tradition goes, if it's wrong, it's wrong.

Yes it is great we can differ in opinions. I have no issue with anyone who has a different opinion. It is what makes us able to discuss things.

And one can't try to justify basketball rules  to football rules. There is no comparisons. Kinda like comparing a horse to a Mercedes.

I think you can..what other American sport has the first score rule? Other than soccer, where scoring is a lot more difficult.

Bastketball, Baseball, Hockey, Lacrosse, College Football...require you to play either an extra period, quarter, inning, and whatever you wanna call college football's playoff system.

I understand that it is easy to dismiss the other sports because they are "other sports"...but I think it's valid. Why do all the other sports do it? If it makes so much sense the other way...

Are you saying that players can't get injured in Hockey and Lacrosse during OT? (shrugs)

9. Mike Lickteig profile image75
    Mike Lickteigposted 14 years ago

I've always felt both teams' offense should get to touch the ball once in an overtime.  The team that wins the coin toss wins the majority of overtime games.

Maybe instead of the coin toss, they can place the ball on the 50 yard line, blow the whistle and let 22 guys go after it.  Whoever comes away with the ball gets it.

now that would be interesting.

10. Michael Willis profile image67

Night. It is bedtime here. Will read tomorrow and see everyone's opinions on this.

11. yoshi97 profile image58
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

I think after a score (in overtime) the other team should get one set of downs to match the score or beat it (in case the other team got a field goal). On a tie the overtime continues, otherwise, game over. smile

12. lender3212000 profile image61
    lender3212000posted 14 years ago

Now they just need to apply that same rule to regular season games as well. In the age where most teams have a kicker that can hit from 50+ yards out, it really would prevent a game from being decided based on a single posession.

my whole argument explained in two sentences! smile

Agreed!

13. yoshi97 profile image58
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

And there's another answer ... first team to score 6 points wins ... and by that, I don't mean 6 more points than the other team, just six points.

So ... two field goals or a TD could then win the OT.

smile

To be brutally honest, I think the OT rules are all about just getting the game over with quickly, so as not to interrupt the rest of their broadcast schedule.

14. Sab Oh profile image56
    Sab Ohposted 13 years ago

They should just have the head coaches do rock-paper-scissors and be done with it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)