Use of red color

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (52 posts)
  1. premsingh profile image60
    premsinghposted 16 years ago

Hubpages use red color arrow for "Start a new Hub"  and for Account information etc. In my opinion it may be replaced by any other suitable color.

1. elisabeth reid profile image66
      elisabeth reidposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Why?  What's wrong with the red?  It draws the eye and makes you notice...which is exactly what they want you to do with the "Start a new Hub" arrow.

2. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 16 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't seem to have stopped you from building 43 hubs....

3. dingdong profile image57
      dingdongposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Red indicates danger?

We can take it like this: Red shows love, it's sexy too wink

2. premsingh profile image60

It does not give a soothing effect to eyes. I agree this draws your attention but there are several other colors that can draw your attention too. Its just my opinion.

1. Karen and Lesley profile image60
      Karen and Lesleyposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I tend to agree with you infact for me personally the color is too strong and tends to make me turn away from it.

3. premsingh profile image60

It doesn't mean either I like red color or hubbers who have published thousand hubs like red color very much. Here question is just relted to likings and dislikings.

4. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 16 years ago

I see nothing wrong with the red colour. Besides, it blends in with Hubpages colour theme. ie Red, blue, green.

I don't think it needs to be changed at all.

5. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 16 years ago

Seems a pretty small issue.  You don't like red.  If it were changed to green, someone else might not like the green.  It's a matter of personal taste, and therefore not something you should ask (or at least expect) to be changed.

1. networkgenie profile image38
      networkgenieposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I absolutely agree with Maddie, it's just a matter of personal preference... There a saying that goes like this: One man's meat is another man's poison. So, it's absolutely if you don't like red... but even if they changed it to the color that you'd love, someone may also come to this forum and say, "Oh, I don't like this color that Hubpages now uses". Wonderful question: What's going to be the color that'd be great for everyone?

6. risend profile image53
    risendposted 16 years ago

I like the red, its bold and screams "push the red button." The designer for hubpages knew what he/she was doing.

7. premsingh profile image60

Who said I am insisting for the change? I just expressed my views. There may be differences in opinion. Nothing is permanent in this world and everything changes with time. May be one day designers of hubpages decide to change it to other color. Afterall this depends on the outlook of designers.Its useless for fighting a non-issue.

8. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 16 years ago

Just not sure why you would post a topic without expecting some sort of reaction.

9. crusador profile image75
    crusadorposted 16 years ago

I also dislike red color but I know red color is favourite color of women. Men generally prefer sky blue color. There may be exceptions. Why not mix both color to make all happy.

10. ruchika singh profile image60
    ruchika singhposted 16 years ago

Me too dislike red color. Hubpages maintain simplicity in design and layout of hubs but I don't know why they have choosen red color and that too in a large size arrow that doesn't match with hub design. In fact it gives a childish look.

11. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 16 years ago

Everyone has an opinion about colors, but really in the end it is just how we feel about it.  If we want to have negative thoughts about red, we will do that.  I have decided all colors are equal and not one particular color will effect me more than an other.  Just my two sense worth.

12. premsingh profile image60

enough reactions. I request you all to stop it here.Though I have a disliking to red but I'll bear with it.

1. livelonger profile image87
      livelongerposted 16 years agoin reply to this

How undemocratic. roll

I'll put in my own opinion: I like the red. It draws your attention.

1. profile image58
        aradhana singhposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Really undemocratic,

I hate red color. Red color reminds me of blood, murder,  torture and ........

13. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

It reminds me of Indian restaurants big_smile

1. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
      Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years agoin reply to this

It reminds me of the Chinese restaurant episode of Seinfeld.  Everything was red.

14. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

It reminds me of raw meat and tuna... r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r wink

15. premsingh profile image60

Will you please give a break to all this utter.......... Enough is enough. I again request you to stop it and not make personal comments.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Talk about a red rag to a bull big_smile

1. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
        Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years agoin reply to this

http://www.freewebby.com/happy-smilies/24.gif

2. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Prem, you can start the thread, but then it has a life on its own, and you have only so much control over it... Pretty much like kids, you know...

16. premsingh profile image60

Its getting interested. If you people spare personal comments and just tell which color reminds of ?,  it may become more interesting

17. Mark Knowles profile image59

Oh, so we have your permission to continue then?

premsinghposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I am not the owner of hubpages. Just like you an ordinary hubber.

18. Mark Knowles profile image59

Me? Ordinary? How dare you ! I thought we were not going to get personal.

I am sorry I was not aware of your authority.

2. profile image0
      Om Paramapoonyaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

LOL

3. crusador profile image75
      crusadorposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Only others (not self) can judge who is ordinary and who is extra-ordinary. If one does not know minimum courtsy how can he or she be extra-ordinary.

19. Mark Knowles profile image59

Good grief - I was joking. big_smile Unless you were joking back?

20. cflynn profile image70
    cflynnposted 16 years ago

Hi
    I just did a little piece on the 'psychology' of colour....well popular meanings anyway here is the bit about  red

Perhaps the warmest of warm colours red is considered a very passionate colour the colour of love hearts, romantic roses and blood!! It is the colour newborn infants immature eyes are most drawn to. It is an emotionally intense colour, strong, bold and brave. It is used to denote determination, desire and courage. Red can be considered confrontational and intimidating but is also well know to stimulate appetite as it makes food particularly meat look appetising.
    Red is a good choice for anyone who wants to bring heat, intensity and passion to their surroundings. But you don’t have to use it lavishly

perhaps the hubpages people were going for the attention grabbing  qualities and inspire determination....they just got all the heat and passion on the side!! and a little tuna!

mmmm cherries tongue

21. premsingh profile image60

Thanx cflynn,
    I looked for this sort of explaination.

22. cflynn profile image70
    cflynnposted 16 years ago

You are very welcome Premsingh

23. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

Red is the colour of
    night when black is buried
    under a torrent of
    palmas and rasguedo
    calling you back to a
    time of fire and starlight
    wakening Someone who
    dances dances dances

Stamp on today with the
    leather heel of memory
    faster and faster the
    rhythm dares to taunt your
    ancient awakening
    Someone into fury
    yield to her need as she
    dances dances dances

(Red is the colour of Flamenco - enjoy it!)

24. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Paraglider, did not see you here for a while. Glad you are back smile

25. Kenny Wordsmith profile image74
    Kenny Wordsmithposted 16 years ago

Bonus poem by Paraglider glorifies this thread! smile

Prem, if you need a logical colour for starting something, maybe it should be green. As in green flag. Red usually means 'stop.' Hope that helps.

Thanx Kenny
      You have already complimented Paraglider. I am also thankful to him making this thread colorful.

26. ruchika singh profile image60
    ruchika singhposted 16 years ago

We agree with Keny. Better look towards sun in the morning (sunrise) and evening (sunset). You will get answer which color signifies what.

27. Paraglider profile image88

Misha, Kenny & Prem - thanks for the appreciative comments! I've been rather preoccupied of late with an unpleasant invasion in my new rented apartment. But at least I found time to write a hub about it!. Hope to free up more time to spend here smile

1. Kenny Wordsmith profile image74
      Kenny Wordsmithposted 16 years agoin reply to this

There are microBushes, I suppose, who invade your privacy!
      But they can't keep a good poet down!

28. Paraglider profile image88

In fact they were bed bugs, and fortunately I've managed to get rid of them. But I'll think of them as microBushes from now on!

29. Kenny Wordsmith profile image74
    Kenny Wordsmithposted 16 years ago

I was right only about the micro, but bedbugs have a better right to invade your home than Bushes!

30. mnguru profile image62
    mnguruposted 16 years ago

i like the issue of the use of red in hub pages. gets me to a serious topic are there colors that are more attractive than others? or are there colors that bring more hits and traffic to your site? are there colors that bring more success to a person? are there seasons when to use colors? well when i was starting my website <snipped link> i did a small research on colors. i realised that in Kenya companies that used a combination of Red,Blue and white were most successful. At the  time for media companies they started to use a combination of orange, Yellow and green in their programing i guess trying to signal a new trend. so i followed the same trend in choosing the colors for the website. Now the thriving color is green for companies. i wonder if hubpages put much thought into the choice of color? may be not  . one blogger said men like Blue and women like Red so am okay with any color as long as its shade is brighter

31. profile image52
    triptonposted 15 years ago

Bed bugs seek out people and animals, generally at night while these hosts are asleep, and painlessly sip a few drops of blood. While feeding, they inject a tiny amount of their saliva into the skin. Repeated exposures to bed bug bites during a period of several weeks or more causes people to become sensitized to the saliva of these bugs; additional bites may then result in mild to intense allergic responses. The skin lesion produced by the bite of a bed bug resembles those caused by many other kinds of blood feeding insects, such as mosquitoes and fleas. The offending insect, therefore, can rarely be identified by the appearance of the bites. A physician should be consulted to rule out other causes for the lesions and to offer treatment, as needed. The affected person should resist the urge to scratch the bites, as this may intensify the irritation and itching, and may lead to secondary infection. Physicians often treat patients with antihistamines and corticosteroids to reduce allergic reactions and inflammation. Despite what you may have heard or read elsewhere, bed bugs are not known to transmit any infectious agents.

32. RavynSteel profile image70
    RavynSteelposted 15 years ago

Did I miss something? What the hell have bedbugs got to do with what colour the 'Start a new hub' arrow is? Can we say spammer?

Oh, and IMO it should be green because of the 'go' connection with traffic signals, but I really don't care :-P

33. britneydavidson profile image60
    britneydavidsonposted 15 years ago

Red is all about spreading the sweet message of love and eradicating hatred all across the globe.

1. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sounds good - let's hope it works smile

34. premsingh profile image60
    premsinghposted 14 years ago

I'm glad to see that all the red colored arrows used to attract hubbers to "start a new hub" are things of past now. I just wish to convey my senior friends who participated in this discussion and opposed my suggestion to replace red color with any other color that its not necessary that if you are more vocal so you knew more than others or wiser than others. There is a clear message that best suggestions are always taken care and it doesn't matter who is making suggestion but important is:Is it for betterment or not?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)