Ran across this

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Padrino profile image61
    Padrinoposted 14 years ago

Is Tom Hanks insane or just forgot who attacked who?

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/entert … s/?slide=2

1. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, he probably thinks he has obtained all the Bible Codes and found the codes were all about racism smile

2. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So who attacked who ? hmm

Padrinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Japanese attacked U.S.Ships and personnel at Pearl Harbor, They even made a few movies about it.

3. Faybe Bay profile image64
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Padrino, during World War II many Asian Americans were incarcerated:

http://www.asianamericanmedia.org/jainternment/

Now with 9/11 many people have been investigated and interred just because of where they come from:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/ap … es-torture

I believe these atrocities are what Mr Hanks was referring to.

Faybe I value your opinion but Japanese were deterred after we were attacked at Pearl Harbor, as far as I know it wasn't before we were attacked.

1. Faybe Bay profile image64

Yes they attacked us, that is why I think he is refering to the prejudices that came after the attacks. Again. the media loves to take quotes out of context.

I would say it was in the U.S. best interest to deter the Japanese. You may not be aware but they also deterred German civilians, they kinda look the same as us.

Yes and they even investigated some Jews so that people were afraid even here in the US to admit their heritage.

My grandmother was 1/3 American Indian, and her family had to hide their heritage for her to lead a normal life. She was so afraid that it wasn't until I was a teenager that I found out for sure, and even then she denied it. Prejudice is a horrible stain. The rest of my family was mostly Irish immigrants, another group that was treated with disdain.

Prejudice is disgusting. We are all the same, as soon as the world realizes that we can advance. For now we have technological advances only. The humanities suffer.

All of that is true but it has nothing to do with Hanks saying racism played a part in the U.S. involvement in WW2. It most certainly played a part in the Japanese and German mind.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
                  Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There's no doubt the Japanese were treated in a more bigoted manner than the Germans.  Some German P.O.W.s were allowed to come down here in Georgia and work on the local farms until the war ended.  My mother and others told me how pleasant they were and how hard they worked.

I do not think those of German descent were rounded up and placed in compounds with their possessions taken by their neighbors.  The Japanese looked different from us, the Germans didn't.  Things aren't really that much different today.  There is no shortage of bigots.

2. Faybe Bay profile image64

Sadly Padrino I must ask how old are you? The Internet is young. If all of your information has come from history courses in school and Internet sources then I am sorry. My education comes from people who actually lived through these times, as does Randy Godwin's education.

People are always contemplating the validity of the Bible, without realizing our own history books are changed to keep the public sadly misinformed.

You are right, I'm afraid.  Many do not know the U.S. was already fighting the Japanese in China before Pearl Harbor.  We had ex-military (they said they were anyway) mercenaries, such as "Pappy" Boyington shooting down Zeros in P-47 Warhawks.  The "Flying Tigers" you may recall.

2. Sab Oh profile image55
              Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who the hell is this "us" that some are supposed to look like?

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
          Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not quite right.  Americans of Japanese descent were also interred.

I haven't seen the whole piece about Tom Hanks, but experience has shown that a snippet from Fox is sure to have left out important details.  They just can't help it.

They're entire business model is based on stirring up gullible, hot-headed people.

Once again, it's been a profitable day for FoxNews.

I meant interred was thinking of both detained and interred, apologize profusely for my slip. Its not the first time Hanks has made idiotic statements!

4. Ohma profile image60
      Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

can you say

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

And, what part would you be referring to?

Are you talking about the recent wars?

or

Are you talking about WWII?

The recent wars were not started based on racism.

However, WWII could be construed to appear as racism.

So, I'm not exactly sure what your point is?

My point is the quotes in the press are often taken out of context. The US Government is known for detaining people who are probably no threat at all to cover for the fact that they let the real threat slip under the radar.

2. Padrino profile image61

So when Japan attacked our fleet and troops on Pearl Harbor that was racist?

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Japan saw America as a threat and attacked. What more do you want? Was racism part of the equation? Probably not, but POWER was.

As for Nazi Germany was racism at it's max. And, YES, that war did take place, as some would like to believe it didn't actually happen. America got into the war, because it needed to get into that war, as one of the Major POWER Countries.

Had Hilter succeeded in his plan, Europe would be one Nation and you can bet anyone who isn't white....would have been executed or made into slave laborers.

3. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Tom Hanks is entitled to his opinion whether right or wrong. I don't think he is insane. He was though in that movie "Castaway", talking to his little ball lol.

4. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

What about "Saving Private Ryan"?

Why would he take part in a movie that represented such a racial and prejudiced war?

Hypocrite!!

1. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I must see that movie Arthur I never got to see that one.

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
        Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is a great movie.

The first few minutes are really rough.

My wife wanted to leave the theater but I convinced her to cover her eyes.

I would highly recommend the movie.

1. blondepoet profile image67
          blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Arthur I am the type to probably cover my eyes as well lol, but yes I will definitely see this one. smile

2. Randy Godwin profile image60

My father was on Omaha beach.  He did not want to watch this movie.  I don't blame him.

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
            Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My grandfather drove the ducks.  The vessels which brought the soldiers from the ship to the beach.

Unfortunately for me he committed suicide before I had a chance to know him.

I still have his dogtags though.

Your grandfather and my dad were true warriors, whether they knew it or not.  My dad went on to Paris with Patton, through the Battle of the Bulge, and helped liberate the Jewish people from the Nazi death camps.

He had very bad nightmares when he was older.  He was a great man loved by everyone.  I miss him terribly.

We owe these men a great deal, Hanks views should be taken as coming from a man who makes his living by pretending!

I do not know Hanks personally and neither does anyone else here, I imagine. I was extremely disappointed when "Saving Private Ryan" didn't win an Oscar for best picture.  "Shakespeare In Love" took that honor.  Sad, very sad!

5. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Tom Hanks seems to be a genuinly nice guy, but some of teh things he says when he gets on his high horse kinda make me think that the casting department for forrest gump liked more than his accent.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)