Fishin' or Religion?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (32 posts)
  1. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

Why do mythical religious concepts get more "play" in this forum than the real life joy of fishin?

1. profile image0
      JeanMeriamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There's really nothing to argue about with fishing.

Nope that's not true. I am against catch and release really. I think of it as akin to shooting an animal in the leg, but not killing it just for the thrill of shooting one.

There now we can argue about fishing instead smile

1. qwark profile image59
        qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jean:
        I usually fish and release.
        I just keep enuf for supper.
        When I release them, I make sure they are alive and well.

2. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

I like to fish.

I'm not competitive about it at all.
    I get motion-sick, so I rarely fish from a boat.
    But just sitting on the bank relaxes me and is very enjoyable, even if I don't catch anything.
    I do like to catch catfish.  They're hooked easily but still put up a fight.

I even put the worms on the hook.
    NONE of those little maggoty-lookin' ones though (the beemoths or whatever they are...).

Qwark,  watch out for PETA in this thread!  LOL

Killing fishies and wormies might be against their rules.  wink

3. IntimatEvolution profile image67
    IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years ago

Since when is fishing a joy?

I think it is a nasty, stinky pain in the arse.  Or are we not to oppose your view?

Shall I expect the usual Qwark?  An insult or two?

1. qwark profile image59

Inimat...but of course! lol
      I guess it's because I'm a "killer" at heart.
      It's just the predator in me.
      Nuthin' like dragging a fish fighting for it's life outa it's environment and watching it gasp for oxygen while it dies and then becomes supper...
      Because of your attitude, you don't get to eat any of the shore lunch trout I'm cooking....eat yer peanut butter sandwich....:-)

1. profile image0
        Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I want a peanut butter sandwich now, thanks a lot tongue

4. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

eeewwwwwwww fishing? Holly smile

5. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

I would love to discuss fishing. But - I know nothing about fishing. Last time I went fishing I was about 12. Sea fishing from a boat in the North Sea. Caught a lot of Mackerel.

You are not supposed to eat them any more if you are pregnant because of the pollution that is not going on and the not climate change that is not going on either.

I get my food from a shop, sadly. Including the fish. Anyway  you don't want to eat anything caught in the Med less than 12 miles out. sad

1. qwark profile image59

Mark, I dived off the coast of San Remo Italy with friends. There were no fish!
      But every hole, every tin can, every bottle had an octopus in it.
      We brought some back and my Italian friends used them for 1 of the five courses of an evening meal.
      They were delicious.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes - they are.

Fish? What are they? French fishermen are hunting down the last blue fin Tuna as we speak. Its carcass will sell for E1500 a kilo in Monaco when they catch it.

1. qwark profile image59

Mark:
          A "big eye" tuna 500 lbs sold in Japan for $150,000 dollars! Incredible!

6. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

The last time I went fishing was when I was about 8 years old. It was a sad day, actually. We went to this place where they caught loads of carp that no one wanted to eat. Instead of throwing them back in the water, the people threw them onto the sand and let them flop around until they died for lack of water. Instead of fishing, I spent the day throwing carp back into the water while countless fishermen protested, including my father.

My father was pretty pissed off that day, especially when I stood up to him and said something like "How would you like it if you couldn't swim and I threw you into the river to drown?" He slapped me. Anyway, I still threw all his carp back into the river and all his friends' carp back into the river too.

My father didn't take me fishing again for a good two years, but I never enjoyed it again. I'd rather sit in a quiet spot near the river and read than cast a pole into the water now.

1. qwark profile image59

Odin:
      I never "throw my pole in the water!" jeez...lol
      Remember, Odin, nothing goes to waste. those carp will provide food for all kinds of life.
      WE live on a planet which depends on life and death for it to remain healthy.
      I love to sit on the banks of a lake or river and read too...life is good.

1. profile image0
        Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They may provide food for all kinds of life, but it was wrong to allow them to suffer for hours before they died.

lol And I meant cast a line, sorry.

1. qwark profile image59

Odin:
          I knew ya meant that....just kiddin' ya.
          CArp are so good to eat smoked..mmm mmm good!

7. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I have only been fishing a few times, enjoyed it though!

I have only done catch and release though!

1. qwark profile image59

This:
      Most of my life I was a "diver." I picked the fish i wanted for supper.
      Now that I'm "older," I love the outdoors, 'specially the ocean.
      There's nuthin' like being a few miles off shore in the Pacific, alone...relaxing and trying to get the biggun's to bite....life is good!

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love to fish!  We own five ponds stocked with largemouth bass, bluegill, catfish, carp, crappie, and even a few eel.  Also residing there are beaver, duck, geese, herons, cormorants, frogs, osprey, snakes, alligators, and several species of turtle.

The ponds are beautiful, but they were made for crop irrigation purposes.  In other words, we created an environment for the wonderful creatures to live in.  We fish in them very often but actually keep very few fish.  Not near as many as the otter and alligators eat.

But I also raise free range cattle to sell for the market.  People seem to not mind eating fish, chicken, pork, or beef, as long as they do not have to see the animal alive before it hits the grill.

1. qwark profile image59

RAndy:
          That's a fer sure. I can't kill any mammal...lol fish? oh yeh.
          Where do you live that you have alligators?
          I lived in Fla. most of my life. Lotsa them there.

Southeast Georgia, qwark.  About 50miles above the Fla. line.  Land of swamps and wildlife.  Too many baptists, though.  Took some neat pictures a couple days ago.  A wild turkey gobbler was trying to impress a hen and put on a great show for my camera.

1. qwark profile image59

RAndy:
              okie Fanokie?
              We used to call Jacksonville SE Georgia.  lol
              I used to ride my "bike" (motorcycle) all over those areas into N Carolin and the Smokies further West.

Actually, I-75 borders one of our farms which caused us to sell the land on the east side.  I'm sure you rode right past the spot on one of your trips. 

Okefenokee is just the largest and best known of the swamps in the area.  There's one close by with the name "No Man's Friend."  Plenty of smaller ones around though!

1. qwark profile image59

RAndy:
                  Sure have..many, many times. I used to take 75 up to Atlanta when my son was young. We both loved 6 flags...fantastic park. I guess ya figgered out I didn't know how to spell Okefenokee...lol

LOL!  I usually add an extra "e" after Oke"  myself.  Love spellcheck!

2. Ohma profile image59
              Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to hijack this thread for a moment but Randy you just reminded me of a time a while back when a Tom Turkey (Big Turkey) attacked my Volkswagon as I was driving down a dirt road to visit my mom. He just came out of nowhere and jumped right at my car. funniest thing I ever saw.

They are beautiful birds in the wild, Ohma.  We have more trouble with deer running into our vehicles around here.  Almost everyone in this area has hit one at one time or another.

1. Ohma profile image59
                  Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I did not hit it, he litterally jumped up on my car hood flapping his wings and pecking at the glass I was afraid he might hurt himself. I blew the horn that made him worse I backed away and he followed it was really strange.

The gobbler saw himself in the windshield and thought it was another tom invading his mating territory.  When a hen is close by they are very aggressive and not easily frightened.

8. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I hate watching the trout die, but they sure are tasty!

1. qwark profile image59

Mega:
      They sure are. They are even better if yer campin' and bring 'em back to shore for a shore lunch....can't beat it!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)