Instant success

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (56 posts)
  1. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 14 years ago

I remember the first time I published something online. The love was instant. Google was waiting for me. Yahoo was ready to party. There was tens of thousands of people lined up eager to visit my very first page and about 10% of those had their credit cards ready so they could click thru and buy whatever it was that I was selling.

Then I woke up.

And I think there are a lot of other people who need to wake up too. The ones that want instant success... who are confused as to why there hasn't been sudden large amounts of human traffic landing on their webpages... and with the little traffic they do get wonder why no one has clicked.

It takes time. It takes talent.

It takes patience. It takes persistence.

It takes experience. It takes effort.

And you can do it. One quality hub at a time.

1. Eileen Hughes profile image60
      Eileen Hughesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very well said, Darkside You are always on the money with your advice.

You should do a hub on this as all the newbies could do with this help kind of help.

Yes I know that you have helped us all for a long time now you helped me also. Patience is the hard part, because we start to think that we are wasting our time and maybe doubt that we can do it.

Writing articles is certainly a better money maker than writing fiction, or at least thats my personal opinion.
      Many thanks,

2. KeithTax profile image72
      KeithTaxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am dreaming? I need to wake up?  I have to WORK!!!?

Say it ain't so, Darkside; say it ain't so.

3. Artin2010 profile image66
      Artin2010posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the reality check. So true, success takes alot of work no matter what angle you come at it from. Three months past and I'm just now reading your post, but at least I made it here and got that proverbial, it's ok man your not the only one speach. Hang in there and work at it. If you are not a natural to writing, work harder. Good hubs, one at a time! Again thanks for the uplifting words.

4. Tyrone Smalls profile image68
      Tyrone Smallsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Bible says you must have the mind of a child, believing in all things, accecpting all, and judging none. Join in and we can create a better world.

L.O.L.
                                               "Ylynd"

5. Neil Ashworth profile image42
      Neil Ashworthposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Find what people want. Provide it. Do it well. Repeat it. Over and over and over so that in the end people will find you... then, and maybe then, you might just begin to make a little money out of all this madness.

6. profile image51
      llewis84posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Darkside i just joined and would love for you to take step-by-step on how i can make money on here. I'm a lil confused, if it's possible can you take sometime out of bsy life and lend a helping hand. Thank you so much

darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a few hubs dealing with "How To Hub", check them out via my profile.

Others to look out for too on not only how to hub but how to make excellent hubs are Relache, Mark Knowles, Sunforged, RyanKett and there are others, but these four spring to mind readily.

First though, start here and go through the 20 (some of them very quick) steps that will take you from being a novice to a higher level of understanding. It will answer the most basic questions that you'll sure to have when you're brand new to the site.

2. thisisoli profile image70
        thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is no step by step guide to making money online. You need to spend some time researching SEO before you even think about writing, if you are serious about wanting to make money online.

1. thisisoli profile image70
          thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have just realised after writing this that I am writing a step by step guide on how to make money online - I do state that a lot of making money online is down to patience and hard work though!

2. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

lol People should relax
    Money don't grow on hubs

1. CarpetDiem profile image71
      CarpetDiemposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Damn, now you tell me. So much for all that fertilizer and water I poured on my computer!

3. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I am one of those who needs to wake up and just have fun with my hub writing. Thanks Darkside for the slap in the face to help wake me up...I will be patient or do my best in being patient and just keep writing my hubs. And the slap in the face is a good thing so thank you. smile

And you can do it. One quality hub at a time. smile

2. rivet3000 profile image57
      rivet3000posted 14 years agoin reply to this

nicely said,crazedwriter.  We should all enjoy
      Hibbing since it's great to chat and share with
      others

4. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

*snicker*

good one smile

yes i don't expect to see major ducats until i have been here for at least a year. it's fun to watch my own evolution though...

5. profile image0
    Ryan Kettposted 14 years ago

That was almost poetic Darkside.... you just missed out the last line:-

"Just send me $9.99 by paypal to dark@side.com, and I will tell you how you CAN in fact enjoy instant success"

Followed by a picture of you standing next to a Maserati with a playboy girl....

No doubt some social marketing guru will come along and take it and twist it.

2. Dorsi profile image88
      Dorsiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ROTFL....great one..... I agree. This was such a great post that I was going to suggest to Darkside that he make a hub out of it. Very very good advice!!! And very true!

1. Artin2010 profile image66
        Artin2010posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now thats good humor at any price. Kind of like, the heres how to of making money on the web by only directing, posting and waiting. someone told me several years back, that you could advertise tissue and toothbrushes and make loads of money if you market it the right way and cover all the bases!

6. dohn121 profile image82
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

You know, farming is a lot like hubbing...However, if you plant the right seeds and give it enough sunlight and water and do so in the right environment, you will be able to harvest and eat what you sow.

I can see why people just give up here, but if you pay attention to what other people say and heed their advice, good things will happen, grasshopper.

1. zadrobi profile image62
      zadrobiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Can I hire illegal immigrants to tend the fields?

2. darkside profile image66

That's right. I see it like vineyard.

3. rivet3000 profile image57
      rivet3000posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with you, grasshopper.  It takes
      time for things to grow.  You can apply that
      to work, relationships, whatever the case may
      be.  Have to work hard at something to see
      the results.

4. The Rope profile image59
      The Ropeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

...and I'm trying to soak up every "nugget" I can find.  Thanks to all of you!  Patience isn't my virtue but I'm learning, I'm learning...

5. Dorsi profile image88
      Dorsiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good analogy!!

7. Laura du Toit profile image74
    Laura du Toitposted 14 years ago

Thanks for the advice. smile

8. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

the calm voice of experience, thanks for reminding everyone~~ smile

9. emievil profile image68
    emievilposted 14 years ago

Miss a good thread again sad. Bumping it up for others to see. Thanks DS for the words of wisdom.

10. Ms Chievous profile image65
    Ms Chievousposted 14 years ago

Darkside is right.. You can be succssful if you just have patience.  After being here two years my writing has definately improved.  I am anxious to see how it will imporve over the next two years!  As for earnings I am at a point that I do earn everyday.  Pocket change mostly.. but it adds up!

11. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Just last month, I couldn't wait to make $1 a day. Then 2 days later, I started making $2 a day. Then it went to $3. Then back to $2. Now, most days I earn $3 a day, sometimes $4, and a couple of times $5. Occasionally, my earnings will fall down to $1-$2. I'm just surprised at how it really does seem to "snowball." I have a lot of hubs, but a lot of them were "just for fun," with little adclick value.

12. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I never thought writing online would bring instant gratification.  It takes work, hard work, research & the ability to connect with your readers.  If I never make any money here, then I accept that as the way it is suppose to be, if I can reach out to one person through my personal experiences, then I've gained far more than money could ever bring.

13. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Darkside, its just people don't understand what we do. After all the SEO reading, the keyword research...the hours of thinking of something brilliant-and they lack the ability to pull someone into what they are writing.

I have a feeling, most hubs of a good nature can make money and do look good and can bring traffic, but with such low incite and without that 2nd nature experience, they fail in their run.

What am I getting at? The people need to start at the roots, and work there way up like we did. The internet, the ads, and the traffic is changing everyday, and a general understanding of it will help anyone achieve online success.
                    http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa304/thranax/KD0804Sleeping-Wolf-and-Lookout-Pos.jpg

~thranax~

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

everything starts at the foundation if it's going to be successful.  very true. nice wolf. smile

14. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Words of wisdom, Darkside.  I'm still relatively new here, and am not expecting much in earnings until about a year has past.  I've come to realize that it is the quality and topic of the hub that will generate the earnings.  Not quantity.  Hopefully, over this coming year, my writing will improve, I'll gain a broader fan base, I'll understand SEOing better and hey, if I gain a little $$, I'll be happy.

As far as farming goes, yes, so true.  So off to Farmville I go....  lol

15. Gemsong profile image62
    Gemsongposted 14 years ago

Another reason why Darkside is my hero. (That and the sexy picture.)

My hubs aren't perfect but they are a work in progress I hope. I'm constantly reading and trying to learn how to use keywords and the like. I know zip. But I'm learning. Some hubs I research and some are just my opinion. I may or may not add my fiction.

When I say I'm here for the love of writing, I mean that. I had never written nonfiction until I came to hubpages. I didn't even know whether I could or not. I'm learning a lot. I've made a few pennies out of it which encourages me. It just means I have to keep searching for my niche. Someday I'll find it.

The community has been the best and I'll miss you next month. I'm doing the NaNoWriMo. We'll see if anything I learned here will help me there.

16. Pr0metheus profile image57
    Pr0metheusposted 14 years ago

Takes a while, but it's fun to watch.

I doubled my adsense revenue today :-D!

More backlinks (that other people are posting!) = more clicks = more click throughs = more monies!

My first 1000 hub views came over about a month, my next thousand came over about a week, and then 4 days....

Like I said, cool to watch, definitely not get rich quick.  More like, get some extra money really slowly.  Then again, you only have to do the work once so it's worth it in the end.

17. yoshi97 profile image57
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

Hubpages is an inverted pyramid where the income grows over time. So long as you write evergreen (year-round) topics and write them well they will eventually bear fruit.

What many people fail to realize is that it takes time to build up the links necessary to hit page one on Google and stay there. For some, they hit page one then see their page void out, unaware that it will take time to return.

I tell everyone to give it six months before giving up. That gives enough time for the first hubs written to mature. smile

18. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

What people forget, is that most of the people hopping onto your hubpage for a read are just as poor as you!

19. Dale Nelson profile image38
    Dale Nelsonposted 14 years ago

Bumping this thread up again.Always good to read the wisdom of Darkside.

I changed my strategy recently to a sort of personal 30 day hubchallenge.I chose three to four capstone topics and then the 30 hub titles for the month.Then i did the pictures and the video. Then the intro paragraph for each.With the few days break the hubs have a chance to be rated as they are written.

The benefit is that I never get bored because I dont feel the pressure to complete any one hub in so many hours.The result is 30 quality hubs for the month.

20. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 14 years ago

I think I am one of those people Darkside. I think you should post a picture of me in your message! With an arrow pointing to it going...Victim here!

But, I will say, when I used to be at Geocities, I was getting thousands of views to my pages. But, back then, there was nowhere near the volume of articles on the internet. With all this free stuff floating around today, I would think it would be hard for the most talented writer to catch a break.

But, it's nice to live in a dreamworld sometimes.

21. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Darkside, I commend you on this answer and I hope that you are able to get through to the ones who do not understand that success and making money does not have overnite. smile

22. efeguy profile image40
    efeguyposted 14 years ago

you spoke the truth darkside.

patient is the key

23. xboxps3wow profile image42
    xboxps3wowposted 14 years ago

ive been working online for the past oh about a year... and at times its really hard to keep going.

24. cluense profile image71
    cluenseposted 14 years ago

Darkside,

I have learned a lot from you thus far. I have analyzed your hub's and taken them apart piece by piece to understand how and why you do what you do. I asked myself why I am attracted to or repelled from different hubs. I have come to the conclusion that it takes time, content, experimentation, and consistency to earn a good living from Hubpages. I am earning money and finding new ways of sharing my knowledge and experience with the world, one hub at a time! Thank you Darkside; you have been my mentor, teacher, and inspiration!

25. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I will teach you how to make a thousand pounds instantly. Simply send me a thousand pounds and I will teach you a lesson you will never forget.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

muwahaha! big_smile

p.s. Crazdwriter, i love your new avatar!

26. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Although, I wholeheartedly suggest ThisisOlis awesome lesson.

You could skip the basic course and send me a 5,000 USD , and I will teach you an even greater lesson.

If you follow my method you will quickly achieve success.

How can you tell that I am for real.
    http://paulsegal.com/images/990_Me_my_porsche_-cleaned_up_shot.jpg

just look at this picture of me and my Porsche and my brand new designer jeans.

You can be just like me...send 5,000 USD now...this offer only stands for the next 30 minutes, limited opportunities available

1. leigia67 profile image69
      leigia67posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol sunforged and kudos darkside for explaining how it is!  I haven't bene here for long, but I get what you are saying and I agree!

27. Internetwriter62 profile image80
    Internetwriter62posted 14 years ago

You know Darkside, you make a good point. I love your fantasy though. I mean, who doesn't wish their hubs would be that renown and successful, not to mention lucrative.

28. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

You certainly said it well! smile

29. Appletreedeals profile image67
    Appletreedealsposted 14 years ago

Damn... I'm all choked up, (sob...sob...), thanks Sunforged, now I know I really can be president if I just study hard and pay my dues. I see now that if I just keep my nose clean and pressed to the grindstone, I too can achieve greatness.

BTW. (LOL), always appreciate your advise comments, Sunforged, but maybe we should call in Seth for the daily "motivational moment"

GA

30. TheGlassSpider profile image65
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

I think it's so funny...I thought I'd NEVER make any money, period..I mean the web is huge...THEN I found out I had made 38 cents. I was THRILLED lol That tells me it's possible!

31. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Instant gratification is never quick enough.

32. flread45 profile image60
    flread45posted 14 years ago

That is true thisisoli.
    My problem today is multiple clicks and 1 centavo.
    I am kinda concerned that someone is playing games with my adsense

33. Gymfroggy profile image59
    Gymfroggyposted 14 years ago

I was sucked in to the whole instant success thing for a while. The truth is it just doesn't work. You have to build a reputation and quality content or you get bugger all traffic. I burned all my affiliate bridges and now dedicate my soul to the fantastic website known as HubPages :-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)