What is the best Anti Virus program for 2010?

Jump to Last Post 1-49 of 49 discussions (72 posts)
  1. cashmere profile image78
    cashmereposted 14 years ago

I have used Kaspersky last year, norton the year before that and am now using avast, but I'd like to know what the best Anti Virus software is for 2010.

1. profile image0
      Audreveaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd like to know this as well. I don't like Norton (too bossy and slows everything down), tried out Kaspersky and quite liked it but it seemed to pick up the same old issue each time - wondering if it's actually effective. Currently using McAfee.

1. nikipa profile image62
        nikipaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I tried Kaspersky as well. Loved it!

1. johnsams profile image66
          johnsamsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Kaspersky is the best. I love it. Nothing can ever beat it. Those pesky viruses and malware wont be able to touch my pc until its running! big_smile

2. EchiKC182 profile image60
      EchiKC182posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The free and the most widely downloaded on download.cnet.com is AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition, also so far I still use antivirus, because the light and always provides the latest virus database ...

3. profile image58
      andrewsmith15posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am using Bitdefender 2010 and found good.

4. profile image52
      Velvet27posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Definitely Norton Antivirus 2010: much faster and lighter than the competitors. p.s. forget about free antivirus software - its not as effective as paid one, also there are countless fake ones

5. Techtree profile image61
      Techtreeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No Doubt in Avira premium Antivirus. Its best and the most downloaded antivirus on http://softpedia.com.
      I am using it from 18 months my lappy never got infected. Even i didn't format my lappy even once.smile Go for it. Its worth.

6. edy4sure profile image59
      edy4sureposted 13 years agoin reply to this

From my experience, all the software that have been mentioned are good, but they have  some major flaws. First off, they slow down the performance of your pc, while some of them are difficult to delete when you don't want them anymore. So for me, the best antivirus software for me is, micrsoft security essentials. This I use with zonalarm firewall (free version). I have been using this now for the past 4 months with no complaints

7. dras profile image61
      drasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Eset NOD32 is the best.

8. PhoenixV profile image62
      PhoenixVposted 13 years agoin reply to this

AVG

9. profile image36
      nbbatt.composted 13 years agoin reply to this

I use McAfee. Protect my computer from virus, malware, etc.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

McAfee came with my computer and I like it a lot.

cashmereposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is one I have not yet tried

3. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

I am having no probs whatsoever with the latest version of AVG

My only issue is the way that they try and flog you something once and a while.

Other than that, It uses something silly like 0.25% of my CPU.... has a really low footprint.... and I sometimes forget that I even have it until it doesn't like the look of something.

I have also heard good things about Nortons latest free offering, I hated the 2008 version. Norton has always irritated me though.

4. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

NOD32 & Komodo.

5. TamCor profile image82
    TamCorposted 14 years ago

I've used AVG for years(the free edition) and have had really good luck with it.

Of course, they do try to get you to buy their "better" edition, but you don't have to.  I just update the free version when it becomes available.

I tried Avast once, and it worked well, but it really slowed down my computer, so I un-installed it.

I'm sticking with AVG! big_smile

Tammy

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yay! A fellow happy AVG user! Has been my free anti virus of choice for 4 years now!

1. johnsams profile image66
        johnsamsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I dont like AVG, since I've always had bad experience with it. Some tiny lil virus would always creep up in my pc and AVG was unable to trace it. neutral

6. Lily Rose profile image86
    Lily Roseposted 14 years ago

I've used McAfee for years and never had a problem with it, but when my subscription expired a couple of months ago I decided not to spend the money to renew and I went with Avast's free AV and I'm liking it a lot.

7. profile image52
    ssc73posted 14 years ago

AVG has been my AV of choice for years. Very light, very effective, great program. But anyone undecided, particularly those with Windows, I would suggest trying out Microsoft's new Security Essentials. It's free, in benchmark testing all across the web holds it's own with all the paid suites and usually beats the free ones including AVG, Avast, Comodo and Avira. It's detection rates are great.

I even performed a test of my own. On essentially identical machines I downloaded a known Trojan. One Machine ran a Norton suite and another MSE. MSE caught it much quicker. On a different machine with AVG, MSE again detected first. I rec it very highly. And believe me, I find no comfort in rec'ing an MS product!!

I would never have considered an AV program from MS. But when 7 came out and before some of the others were ready I decided to give it a try. It was a test machine as I was testing the RC of Windows 7 and figured what the hell? Let's try it.

Much to my pleasant surprise, it's a fantastic program. No nagging or attempts to get you to upgrade to any paid version, very easy interface, scan scheduler, individual folder/file scanning, customizable actions to take based on the type of infection, etc, etc. Just great so far and in 7 months now, I haven't even considered changing.

And once I really thought about it, who knows an OS better than the company that makes it? With the online community reporting, MS weaknesses are reported and MS picks them up immediately and updates the AV program. And of all the AV programs, none integrate better with the OS IMO than Security Essentials.

The other thing everyone will like? It's even lighter on resources than AVG. It updates daily on a schedule you choose and if you happen to have your PC off, you still get the daily definition updates through Win Update.

Anyone undecided should check it out. You won't be disappointed.

cashmereposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I had not even heard of MS SE. Need to check this one out. Thanks for the tip ssc73.

8. Ign Andy profile image58
    Ign Andyposted 14 years ago

Currently I use Windows defender (build in Windows 7) & Malwarebyte (free version), previously for 3 years Avast.
    I think it doesn't matter which program as long as the virus definition update daily. I more concern in memory and processor usage.

9. cupid51 profile image68
    cupid51posted 14 years ago

I have used Norton, McAfee,ESET and now Kaspersky. I found no problem with Kaspersky till now!

10. Harry Knows profile image60
    Harry Knowsposted 14 years ago

I'm using Avast - free and perfectly efficient, unless you're doing really stupid things that you shouldn't be doing anyway.

11. janewang profile image57
    janewangposted 14 years ago

I think eset nod32 is ok, it takes up less system resources; but since serveral years ago, i haven't been using any antivirus software, I only installed comodo firewall on my notebook......

12. seoprofessionals profile image61
    seoprofessionalsposted 13 years ago

I was using Quick Hill it was very useful for me so as per me Quick Hill was the best Anti Virus Program for 2010

13. CheapMobilePhones profile image60
    CheapMobilePhonesposted 13 years ago

I am using AVG and till now no problem.

14. climberjames profile image58
    climberjamesposted 13 years ago

I just downloaded AVG free and I am very happy with it smile

15. profile image0
    Audreveaposted 13 years ago

I went with AVG as well in the end. Tried the 'free trial' version and then upgraded.

16. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 13 years ago

Right now market is full of competition of Anti-virus making companies. I personally tried AVG, Bit Defender, Norton, Symantec, McAfee and Kasper-Sky.
    Norton is good, but not up to the mark, it slows down system by capturing most of the memory of system, AVG is very light and good in running.
    But I Prefer Kasper-Sky, because there is no compromise on security. It provides good security bond to the system.

17. profile image0
    askpowersposted 13 years ago

I think Kasper-sky is best anti-virus.

18. bhaskar_c profile image56
    bhaskar_cposted 13 years ago

Yes kasper sky is also best i am using avast.. that is also good one right

19. pcdoc profile image59
    pcdocposted 13 years ago

Great Question! We've been working with a relatively new program called VIPRE. It finds things that none of the other anti virus programs find and doesn't slow your computer down while scanning. It is truly, so far from what I've experienced, the best Anti Virus Program.

20. qeyler profile image61
    qeylerposted 13 years ago

I used AVG but the latest version slowed my computer to a crawl and started pushing me around.

I used Avast but that just isn't ... I don't know...good.

I've been using I0bit...seems very good so far; it's new, it's small...I like it

21. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

The best Anti Virus Protection?  Here you go:

http://www.softsailor.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/mac-os-x-snow-leopard.jpg

1. qeyler profile image61
      qeylerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The best Anti virus is Linux.  I usually used Linux but my prob is that I connect via this sony card and I'd have to download the driver special for it as no one packaged it.

1. ediggity profile image60
        ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No doubt.  One day I hope to get a chance to sit down and fiddle around with Ubuntu.

22. katiem2 profile image60
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

I used Norton for a while till I was introduced to AVG and haven't used anything else.  I love AVG compared to Norton which irritated me to no end...

I enjoy the peaceful, none bothersome protection of AVG

Thanks smile

1. qeyler profile image61
      qeylerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was AVG all the way until it took over my computer and treated me like a trespasser.  I'm comfortable with IObit so far...

23. profile image59
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

using AVG upgraded.  So far so good.

24. funanku profile image58
    funankuposted 13 years ago

I am using Symantec Endpoint protection and i found its good.

25. Kangaroo_Jase profile image76
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

The best anti-virus to use is the best one you are happy with to date. Anti-virus programs are pretty much so reliable these days, its rare for one of the 4,000 odd virus' on the internet to get onto a computer and bypass anti-virus software.

BUT, not all are created equal, anti-virus programs WILL NOT find and WILL NOT remove a significant portion of keyloggers, trojans, web hijackers, malware, root-kits, boot file bombs, and many other forms of spyware.

In addition to your anti-virus software, down load and get the following

Malwarebytes Anti-malware
    Ccleaner
    Ad-aware
    and Spybot - Search and Destroy

all four of these items are free to download and used in conjunction with your anti-virus are an effective means to stopping all sorts of nasties from playing havoc on your Windows computer..

26. strutzas profile image60
    strutzasposted 13 years ago

For 2010 anti virus, McAfee is the best i think!

27. Julian Hooks profile image41
    Julian Hooksposted 13 years ago

I have been using Avast or AVG for a couple years now. I think its the best free option for us windows users...

28. funnyandsmart161 profile image58
    funnyandsmart161posted 13 years ago

Well for all those looking for the overall best antivirus it will have to be AVG. It is widely written about all over the net as one of the most reliable and best option for your basic pc protection software. I have been in the pc repair business for a long time and with every tech I have always seen AVG been used as their main protection.
       But the truth of it all is that people can't rely on Avg to keep them fully protected. Plus it takes to long to scan, and doesn't seem to find some of the big spyware that attacks your computer. So for that people should really use these two other program:
      - Malware Bytes (best used for quick scans, and can solved most issues)
      - Spybot search and Destroy (longer scans but in the worst of cases has really come up at top, when a computer is really messed up. Used only when really needed)
    - Then AVG (for that annoying windows notification that tells you to install an antivirus. It's also best to have running in the background at all time, and to have daily scans in the middle of the night.)
       That is all you need for your protection, and best of all you can get them 3 for free!

29. profile image0
    askpowersposted 13 years ago

for free, AVG is best, but if you are willing to purchase then prefer kaspersky, its perfect antivirus, i've tried it on several companies and found it the best

30. free4india profile image60
    free4indiaposted 13 years ago

For free, Avast Home edition is very good.  I use AVG but I am not happy with the speed.

Many people suggest that paid versions of antivirus are better than free versions.

The best part is that now one need not buy the software, one can subscribe for one year, which turns out to be cheaper many a times.

Also if someone is planning to buy Windows 7, I saw an ad that said MS is giving free antivirus MS Essentials with it !

31. Golf Swing King profile image54
    Golf Swing Kingposted 13 years ago

For a free solution, Microsoft Security Essentials is very good.  It actually does a decent job catching some of the spyware out there too.

For a paid solution, you can't really go wrong with most of the big names such as Trend Micro, McAfee, Kaspersky, etc.

1. Roly67 profile image60
      Roly67posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Microsoft Security Essentials + AVG Free IMHO

Effective, comprehensive and Free!

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
        Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I echo that: Security Essentials + AVG free + Malwarebytes

32. FuzzyCookie profile image74
    FuzzyCookieposted 13 years ago

I love kaspersky, nothing beats it. Its the best av solution ever big_smile

33. profile image50
    ardenjamesposted 13 years ago

i am using a 8 years anti virus services program + free pc support in very low prices from the thesupportonline.com .

1. easyguyevo profile image70
      easyguyevoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have found the two best for me were Kaspersky and Bitdefender 2010. Bitdefener scans faster than kaspersky but kaspersky is better at scanning compressed files. The both use low resources except when scanning.
      So in my opinion the best is!

It depends on the user

If you don't mind scanning time buy kaspersky but if scanning time is a problem but you still want great results get bitdefender. I thing kaspersky is more expensive than bitdefender though. Like double expensive!

34. DominatorMatrix profile image61
    DominatorMatrixposted 13 years ago

Microsoft Security Essentials. Free, fast, and does a good job smile.

35. profile image52
    shivangi1posted 13 years ago

A computer virus acts much like it would if it infected a human – it spreads throughout your system, infecting and harming everything it can.

Luckily, there is a way you can prevent that from happening in the form of a good quality antivirus program.

i m using SystemTech AntiSpyware software, SystemTech AntiSpyware detects and removes any threat to your PC, helps repair damage to your system components and protects you from future intrusions. Subscription free.
    you can take a look at: http://www.summitsoftcorp.com/utilities … yware.html

36. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 13 years ago

I have found...

To purchase: Norton Internet Security is the best and most reliable package...You will want more than a virus scanner (there are adware, malware and spyware to consider as well)

For Free: superantispyware has worked great for me

37. profile image56
    Ignite360posted 13 years ago

I would like to share a little unknown gem for a lot of people.  Advertising is all based on Norton, Symantec, etc...

How many of you have heard of Eset NOD32?  This Antivirus/Spyware software that you can also get as a full security suite has the BEST track record of ANY scanner on the market today.

I invite you to check out the VB100 awards website.  They run independent tests on 53 scanners on the market.  Since 1998 NOD32 has not lost one competition for finding what they call "In the Wild Virus."  What this means is that in order to detect such a virus, a product must use what's called Heuristics(Artificial Intelligence) vs a signature.  It can think and analyze data to determine if it is a virus or spyware.

Here are two quotes from the latest VB100 tests:

"Detection rates were as excellent as ever, with some superb RAP scores; no issues emerged in the WildList or clean sets, and ESET continues its monster unbroken run of VB100 passes,"

"...Since the inception of VB100 awards in 1998, ESET's antivirus products continue to boast a success rate of over 97 percent - the industry's highest. Most antivirus vendors have success ratios in the 50 - 75 percent range."

Conclusion:

Don't follow the hype of the advertisers, there are products that spend their money in development instead.  It has kept me virus free for years.  I also recommend for added protection since so many new threats occur would be Malwarebytes.  Malwarebytes is dedicated to spyware removal and is a perfect side kick to NOD32.

I hope this helps, my background is in IT.  I am the one my colleagues turn to when they have given up on spyware removal.  I have more advanced techniques I use for systems that are not properly protected, save yourself the trouble and get protected now.

38. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

For the best virus protection, use...

http://www.homotron.net/images/homotron/Trojan-Condoms.gif

39. Hugh Williamson profile image76
    Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years ago

I've used Avira for several years. It seems to work effectively and causes no problems. It's a free download in the basic version. It throws a pop-up or two at you each day hyping its paid versions, but they're really not that intrusive. And, it's free.

1. profile image56
      Ignite360posted 13 years agoin reply to this

What OS are you using, XP, Vista, or Window 7?  I can give you a quick fix that legally disables the popup ads from happening. smile

1. Hugh Williamson profile image76
        Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That would be great. 

I use Vista.

40. passthejelly profile image71
    passthejellyposted 13 years ago

I have been running Webroot for about a year now and have never had a single problem so it must be good smile

41. Leslie Patton profile image61
    Leslie Pattonposted 13 years ago
  42. jansonchun profile image60
    jansonchunposted 13 years ago
  43. A la carte profile image60
    A la carteposted 13 years ago

Kaspersky still tops 2 years in a row for me...was a Nortons man supporter but it got to unwieldy and power hungry..reckon Kaspersky is top at the moment

44. maheshpatwal profile image65
    maheshpatwalposted 13 years ago

Bit defender is the best we've found....

45. nikmaya62 profile image59
    nikmaya62posted 13 years ago

Avg free is the best one....

46. exchangerecovery profile image39
    exchangerecoveryposted 13 years ago

I have using kaspersky from last one year it is the best.

47. alisha4u profile image39
    alisha4uposted 13 years ago

I have used AVG last 2 year,now using avast & now i am satisfied with it. i think Avast is the best. you can try it.

48. Vinal profile image61
    Vinalposted 13 years ago

There is no "best" Antivirus as if you check their detection results they fluctuate. However there are some that are much better than others. I'll give you the top free av's. In no order:

1) Microsoft Security Essentials.
    2) Avira AntiVir
    3) Avast!

You shouldn't use AVG free as AVG does not include rootkit protection!

49. saish profile image41
    saishposted 13 years ago

now atlest Nod32 is the best but it has some password problem and the second best is Avast

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)