The crossroads of religion and psychosis

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (114 posts)
  1. profile image0
    WizardOfOzposted 14 years ago

I do believe the policy is no links in forums?

Anyhow, I googled religion and psychosis for the sake of it.  Interesting results..  Just a starter.

1. Obscure Divine profile image60
      Obscure Divineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you're speaking about organized religions versus psychosis, are you implying that they are synonyms?  LOL!

1. profile image0
        WizardOfOzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

research supports that suggestion.

I figured that...  Ya know, I wish some of those psychos would give me some of their damn money instead of always throwing it in the divine "offering plate!"  Ha-ha!

1. tantrum profile image60
            tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Start your own religion. Not difficult, by the way some people use their minds . LOL

I wish us the best of luck then.  Hmm..., what are you going to name yours?  LOL!  big_smile

Just like Prince, it's going to be only a Sign ! big_smile

Symbolic gestures are awesome, but lack the "awe" when used inappropriately - like most organized religions.  Praise be "freedom of thought" without the organization, hence forth individuality.  big_smile

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
          Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Got Proof?

1. profile image0

I supplied the proof already.  Start at the beginning of the thread and find the reference.

3. Allan Bogle profile image71
          Allan Bogleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No it doesn't. Try again.

2. ruanz3 profile image60
        ruanz3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

'If you're speaking about organized religions versus psychosis, are you implying that they are synonyms?  LOL!'

You just won yourself a follower.

2. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

uh, I personaly know SEVERAL people, not with physchosis exactly, but some serious problems, directly resulting from religion.

1. profile image0

can't say i am suprised.

1. profile image0
          Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile

2. Daniel Carter profile image61
        Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know anti-religious people who are pretty warped, too. They seem to have venom and pushiness in common.

3. ceciliabeltran profile image65
        ceciliabeltranposted 14 years agoin reply to this

religion is just a cultural expression of our collective internal world. what you blame on religion is actually the external forces that you allow to invade your personal choice in order to purchase 1.approval 2. love 3. acceptance.

what is making people crazy is not religion, it is fear.

1. earnestshub profile image79
          earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Which religion spends it's efforts creating. smile

1. ceciliabeltran profile image65

religion is a mechanized version of a process that was meant to be individual. please read my banana post.

(it's five a.m. but I gotta say this before I actually get the work I was supposed to be doing done.)

G-d is a metaphor for a person's feelings of empowerment. Does a god exist, yes. Because a person can rise above the illusions of chaos and make himself god of his own universe. Your attitude towards G-d is a mirror of your own internal power. The paradox is this, Gd is man's madness that enables him to find a fixed point of sanity in the seemingly chaotic churning of his existence.

I can handle hearing more about this when you have time. smile

2. ceciliabeltran profile image65

that would be the consequence of people's underlying fears. fear tactics don't work on those who are not afraid to begin with.

I've noticed that! smile

2. profile image0
              Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you are pre-plagiarizing my notes before i finish writing the book?
              big_smile

So funny how 'logical sensation' becomes the absolute asset, to the existing conscious engagement. Many swing on the pendulum of extreme pre-ism and then post-ism only to end up in the same place they began. But either side of the pitch is still the Ism.

To consider any sensation, consciously, can only limit one to that sensation. Madness is just another guise of conscious limitation. Mashed Potatoes of thought. Still thought now buttered up with sense and salted with regret. Crazy stuff.

Ey twenty one. geez, same page as always? please do not tell me we are writing the same book! (no fair, I've been working on mine for years) i'm going to have to re-read what you just wrote, because i think i missed something.

I hope he doesn't "quote" others as much in his book, as you will, though...  LOL!
                  big_smile

quotes are cool.

I know the limitation is inevitable. something so large in scope must pass through the narrow lenses of human words and logic. But it is like unfolding a quilt the size of the entire mantel of the earth from a table napkin.

hence "it has not been tainted by the human tongue". it is virtually impossible to communicate its scope, yet it is so elegantly simple. Language cheapens it. Without language however it is nothing but madness.

i'll send you an email soon!

Yeah, it is called "pattern recognition."  Plain & simple...

2. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I'm waiting for the desert ! tongue

3. profile image0

"Religious beliefs and delusions alike can arise from neurologic lesions"

Joseph M. Pierre MD, Faith or Delusion? At the Crossroads of Religion and Psychosis (Journal of Psychiatric Practice)

Well, you have to have your brain damaged to believe in a God that doesn't exist !

gods are metaphors for states of consciousness (but personified). they do exist in another level of experience.  Those who are angry at the concept of gods are actually disillusioned by their own power to influence their destiny.

2. Valerie F profile image60
      Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Doesn't account for the very many CT scans and MRI's of religious people that show no neurological damage.

1. profile image0

I dunno Val, I am not the Medical Doctor who ran the research.  Care to share with us any reference to these very many scans and mris

1. Valerie F profile image60

Nobody has actually done any serious study testing any hypothetical link between religion and psychosis because the very idea defies common sense, but I can reference a case in which a devoutly religious young man was scanned for suspected hydrocephaly. CT scan showed nothing wrong, just a large cranial capacity.

Most religious people are mentally sound and likely have sustained no neurological damage. Some have mental illness or have sustained some neurological damage. Most atheists are mentally sound and possessing undamaged brains as well. Some aren't.

Linking belief or lack thereof with brain damage not only flies in the face of common sense, it is bigoted and insulting. It is also grossly insensitive to the mentally ill, because it comes across as suggesting that any position you happen to not like must somehow result from their mental illness rather than honest, thought out disagreement.

1. profile image0

hey look lady, I will gladly tell you i suffer from a diagnosed mental illness myself.

The point remains, I started a thread, you joined in on the conversation.  I referenced a scholarly article in which a Medical Doctor, in a Psychiatric Journal has done SERIOUS STUDY TESTING on this very issue.  Furthermore, there has been more than one study on the subject.  As opposed to my referenced and THOUGHT OUT contribution what have you provided?

I have been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, I have been under forced treatment and I have an IQ you probably couldn't dream of.  I got very good marks at university studying philosophy and that was without trying too hard and with an addiction to Class A drugs. 

You have shown your own ignorance.  Mental illness has nothing to do with intelligence.  However, it does relate to physical brain disturbances.  I never made any sweeping generalisations.  I leave that to amateurs like yourself.

1. Daniel Carter profile image61

Having a great deal of personal experience with family and friends who have various forms of mental illness, I can verify that some of the brightest minds of all time have also suffered from a form of mental illness.

The world would be an incredibly boring place without them. (Maybe that should be "us". I think we are all on the edge at times...)

So favored Wiz, I got yer back.
              wink

2. aguasilver profile image71
              aguasilverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It shows.... smile

1. profile image0

About what I expect from you, nothing intelligent.

3. Rajab Nsubuga profile image61
              Rajab Nsubugaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said, Wizard, but you still have a problem!

4. Valerie F profile image60

Medical doctors have been wrong before, too, and serious scholarship does not draw conclusions based on one study.

4. profile image0

wink

5. profile image0

I strongly considered being a church pastor.  Still not ruled it out smile

Easy money if you can swallow that pride.

1. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If God has not called you to Pastor, how can you become a Pastor?

Just so you know, most denominations check out PAstors before they allow them to Pastor. Some denominations require a written test to be taken by those who desire to pastor or preach. They do this to make sure the person knows the Bible well enough to do the job.

And all those TV pastors loaded as Hell? Did they pass the exam ? I wonder ! LOL
        I know the Bible better than most of them !

1. Rajab Nsubuga profile image61

You just have to put on enough clothes before theTV show, tantrum!

2. profile image0

I study the bible regularly.  I have also quizzed long standing pastors and priests to test my knowledge.  The results were extremely satisfying.

3. Rajab Nsubuga profile image61

I do fancy that Wiz would pass that test with an "A!"

2. Daniel Carter profile image61

Actually, historically speaking, I believe you have to have a LOT of pride and an over abundance of arrogance in order to do well as an evangelist preacher. Their "charisma" is more about being daring and arrogance than it is good sense. People are somehow attracted to that like moths to a blowtorch.

6. profile image0
    SirDentposted 14 years ago

One might suggest that psychology itself is psychotic. Is it real or is it a delusion or an illusion?

Religion, in it's simplest form, is following a certain set of rules and regulations. I am fairly certain that nearly everyone, if not everyone, follows certain rules in some form or another.

1. profile image0

psychology is not a fixed system.

1. profile image0

If 'one might suggest that psychology itself is psychotic' would one like to suggest how that conclusion might be drawn?

nb.  psychiatry is not psychology.

2. Obscure Divine profile image60

Yeah, but ya know, there is people out there that think our entire existence is an illusion.
      Yep, most people have guidelines to what they think is right or wrong; most of it stems from individual conscience.  But, why is it not left up to the individual?  Most, if not all, organized religions seem to cross over that line and tell you what is right or wrong without ever living in your shoes and/or seeing it from your side of the fence.  Is that right?

1. profile image0

Religion is a machine of politics.

religion is popcorn transcendental meditation. You know, some really cool dude get it, (hey bananas can grow everywhere if you plant to darn things!)they get banana nirvana! they get high, they share it to the rest of the jungle animals, the monkeys hear it, then they ape it(not really getting the whole concept of everybody can plant their own banana stalks and grow their own banana tree). cool dude dies, then, top monkey brings it back to down to jungle loop of "this is holy banana tree of cool dude, now line up and I give you banana, you there...line up and show me some respect you little stupid monkey, bow before holy banana tree to get banana!"

Oh, that's where the phrase "going bananas" came from.  Hmm, I thought it related to people going bonkers.  wink

precisely, hence the bananas

I know; nice choice of fruit...  Ha-ha!

well it is about psychosis, no?

No sense of humor today, no?

i don't know how to do the emoticons, to tell you the truth. I can only do smile

3. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes everyone lives by a certain set of rules and regulations, but religious rules require one to believe in superstition, magic, and things that are just against common sense.

1. Valerie F profile image60

Funny thing is that many religions actually prohibit superstition and magic.

1. Daniel Carter profile image61

Although they fail to see their own brands of superstition and magic for what they are. Without being disrespectful, transubstantiation comes to mind. There doesn't seem to be any real evidence that it's more than hearsay.

1. profile image0

we are all by nature superstitious, psych 101 Dan.  Psychosis and religion are both a little more extreme that superstition.  Magic... that's not even worth talking about.

2. Valerie F profile image60

There is a difference bertween miracles and magic.

2. profile image0

That is rather awkward.  Religion is superstition so I will assume you are referring to Other superstitions?  Out of interest, seeing the thread is regarding religion and psychosis, are you either religious or psychotic or both?

Now that's funny!  LOL!  big_smile

3. Obscure Divine profile image60

I mean, you're funny!  Ha-ha! big_smile

4. ceciliabeltran profile image65

in my country there is a song that goes " the coconut nut is giant nut, if you eat too much you get very fat. the coconut nut is a giant nut but the coconut nut is not a nut, it's a coco fruit from a coco tree from the coco plant family"

names names...i believe crazy people get lost in their unconscious reality. their insanity represents an internal struggle to unify a fragmentation of the self, where the self ceases to find its way back to being whole. the unconscious GPS is taking it around in a route using a different language. So the mind gets lost in the symbolism and fail to see how they translate in "real" life.

In a way, religion founders (or inspirations, not necessarily founders) attempt to unify the fragmented truths but it is too submerged in the madness of man to successfully lift our awareness such that we will see why and where and when we have gone mad.

The repair is exactly like slow process of self-therapy. Because there is no therapist, the crazy person has to make sense of his own madness. This is where we are now, we are trying to achieve some level of sanity by questioning what is sane. "what is reality?" sort of questions mirrors this.

4. profile image52
      paarsurreyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend SirDent

I agree with you. Moses, Jesus, Krishna, Zoroaster and Socrates were all normal persons doing day to day work better than others.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

5. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but they don't include being sent to a lake of fire for all eternity to roast if I refuse to love the rule maker. smile

7. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Another"look at the stupid religious peoples" thread.

Ha ha ha ain't they just the dumbest people! They believe in trying to be good and for what? You can't buy beer or cigaretes with any of that! Our commune has outlawed religion when we take our peyote we talk to aliens! And anyone who matters prefers aliens to God, he so not in, and the rules, are you serious! I'm going to do what ever I want to and nobody is going to tell me how to behave!

Oh brother!

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So - are you telling me that you genuinely think that religious people are "good" compared to nonreligious people?

Better even?

No one is as fascinating as you Mark.

Your inability to say anything meaningful is duly noted. wink

yes it is true that there is nothing meaningful about your being fascinating.

Case in point. Sorry it bothers you that I am so fantastic. This is perhaps not the best place to work through your self esteem issues though.

A "safe" place would probably be more rewarding. If you tell me where you are I am sure I can recommend some one. I have a lot of friends in that business.

I think your awesome! What are you talking about? There is no rhyme or reason for you being fascinating and yet I can claim it, tell everyone in the room...hey mark is great and fascinating....why? Who cares, why? all these other guys are stupid! You're just great, and awesome and everyone here or in the planet, pales in comparison to your awesomeness.

Who needs a shrink, when I can read your posts and beliefs and then I'm all better. You are such an inspirational character...

OH, don't forget to define the correct definition of consciousness, please. (hanging on to what you'll say *sigh* and new recipes)

Like I said - sorry it bothers you so much. And I am sure the sarcasm is good therapy for you. A lot of people use me for that - and that is OK with me.

You missed my point about the definition of "consciousness". There is no "correct definition," but it is important for the purposes of a meaningful discussion to agree to one that means something and differentiates consciousness from lack of consciousness. Otherwise one ends up having conversations such as the one you and marine were having. Woo Woo Word Salad.

How about "aware of one's individual mortality," as a good starting point?

well established definitions of consciousness are:

1. consciousness is a model of reality (Matthews take on Penrose and Hamerhoff)
                    2. consciousness is thinking (Hofstadter, to some extent Decartes)
                    3. consciousness is being aware (Farthing)

We asserted in previous forums that the definition is number 1. which leads to number 2 and finally at its most complex stage number 3.

We are not redefining consciousness, at least I was not. We were working on established definitions. Now I want to understand what why you got the impression that we (I believe in another forum) redefined it to the point that it is beyond you.

Going back to madness and religion, which is the topic of this forum. The thing which you perceive to be madness (namely mine or, maybe the mass hysteria that you accuse religion to be) is merely how those who are not aware of fractals perceive the jagged edges of the mountain ranges or the randomness of the trees in the forest are chaos, without rhyme or reason. The reality is, mathematically speaking, there is rhyme and reason for these forms and manifestations.

Fractals has various applications that includes the simulated explosions on Avatar or the breath of fresh air you will take ten years from now. It may even save you from a heart attack so you can brood about the mortality of your body. Fact is you are already participating in immortality by talking to people here. The interface is entering the meme machine. SO when you die, your words, this exchange will live on somewhere in the human collective consciousness.

You cannot understand the point because your model of reality is limited to your model of reality.  As for awesomeness...you are awesome, make no mistake. There is no sarcasm there. 99 score with thousands of fans is NOT nothing. it is something. BUT, that does not help your case against the existence of G-d or the validity of religion as an integral part of the evolution of our awareness.

Implying that other people are stupid from one forum to the next just because they have a different perspective is not an argument, it is a sign of somebody who is in the habit of self-persecution. You are awesome, mark.

8. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

What I fail to comprehend is how a person could prefer to believe in an archetype as a real entity and confuse the two. smile

my dear, the archetype is a reality, but not a physical one. the underlying reality is non-physical, it is well waves and forces. they are movements and dynamics of essentially nothing. so does that make it less real? no. the physical world is a product of this reality that we personify as archetypes. as campbell puts it "it has not been soiled by the human tongue"

9. RNMSN profile image60
    RNMSNposted 14 years ago

just wish I too had some of their ill gotten gains instead of my own self created from pararnoid low self esteem and quillty psychosis caused majorly by so called christianity

he he...i wonder

10. RNMSN profile image60
    RNMSNposted 14 years ago

cool run on sentence though eh?

I thought it was cool, but I do a lot of my sentences that way, with several thoughts crammed in, sometimes even opposing other thoughts in the same sentence! lol

run on is my bad, always. need a forum editor.

myth by definition : metaphor. what its not: john runs like a deer. what it is: john is the deer. G-d is a metaphor for the elementary idea of man.It is a projection of the evolved man, so that evolution will follow that trajectory. as in buddha, jesus etc. religion is the crude map towards it.

Madness that attempts to make sense of madness.

11. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

I think this thread is causing psychosis....my eye is twitching after reading it..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)