Are you too good to follow a hubber that follows you?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. profile image0
    woolman60posted 14 years ago

You get a comment from another hubber, you comment back and you click on to follow them, should they follow you? After a few weeks, and they don't follow you, should you "quit following" them. A fellow hubber said to me they have so many followers they can't be bothered, with new ones. What do you think.

1. PackSecure profile image60
      PackSecureposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here is an interesting thread about following hubbers.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/40240

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you shouldn't worry about whether a person is followig you back or not.
      You chose to follow them because, I assume, you liked their writings and wanted to see more.
      They may have looked at your stuff and not liked it, or they may have looked at your stuff and thought 'I'll follow that person later when I have the time to sit down and write a message to them, but not just now because I have a million things to do'. Then later they may have forgotten about it, like I frequently do.

At the end of the day it makes no difference to you, or to your hubscore if you write well.

1. profile image0
        woolman60posted 14 years agoin reply to this

IzzyM
        I agree with you , 100%

thanks

3. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hope people follow me becasue they want to. I follow people Im interested in.

4. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do not mind if someone does not follow me...I follow because I like the reading or the interaction in a forum or a gut feel...

2. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

With such a huge number of Hubbers and so much coming and going (as far as signing up and leaving go), I think the purpose of following sometimes gets lost.  Sometimes, too, people don't realize that, while having lots of followers can increase potential exposure, having a lot of followers doesn't always translate to HubScore, traffic, or earnings.  I find the idea that newer Hubbers may be offended by not being fanned back kind of unfortunate (because I'm not someone who automatically followers everyone in return, and neither are a lot of other Hubbers).  This post is long, but I thought a little "public relations effort/diplomacy effort" might be worth it:

The "too-good factor" doesn't have much to do with it for most people (I don't think). 

If someone follows me I'm complimented (but not "overly" complimented, because I know a lot of people also follow others for reasons other than liking the writing).  Even being aware of that reality, though, I'm a little moved/humbled if someone becomes a "follower".

When it comes to anyone I follow, most of the time I go with the generally "established" policy on HubPages, which says people shouldn't only follow other people "in return", and following is supposed to be about actually wanting to read what the other person writes.  I see a lot of people who have a great Hubs, but I may not be interested in the subjects they write about.  At the same time, there are a lot of people who write about things I'm interested in, to the point where I couldn't "genuinely" follow of them.  If I think about the fact that it isn't a big deal to just click on "follow" and be added to a zillion other Hubbers' number of following, I suppose it can seem pretty "unfriendly" not to just reciprocate with the following thing.  I suppose I've always imagined that too much reciprocal following might show up whatever measures "Hubtivity", and imagined that too much reciprocal following might detract from my HubScore. 

If "official word" wasn't "You're not supposed to just follow others because they follow you"  (I recall one particular forum post of Paul Deeds, a long time ago), I wouldn't think regularly automatically following back might hurt my own HubScore.   As it is, I just go with the HubPages program, as I understand it.

Sometimes I'll have the time to look and see if the other person's writing is on something I like to read about.  Sometimes I don't have time to look, and go back later.  I follow people who don't follow me, and, knowing how I operate, I just assume a lot of others operate the same way and don't expect anyone I follow to follow back.

It's pretty clear that a lot of people go on "famming sprees", thinking they'll collect more followers.  Sometimes, too, people get the idea that one Hubber may be earning well and start to follow them, not because he likes the Hubber's writing but because he wants to see how he does things in order to earn. 

So, I think a lot of Hubbers do what I do, which is making following/being followed two completely separate things.  Once people have been around long enough to have, say, 500 or more followers - just following all their followers back wouldn't result in getting a whole lot those Hubs read anyway, because people only have so much time.  People who have been on here long enough usually know that number of followers can be pretty meaningless under a lot of circumstances.

Should you un-follow people who don't follow you back after you follow them?  Maybe - if the only reason you follow someone is to get follows for yourself.  If you want to do things the way we're generally supposed to do them on here, then no.  Do people who don't automatically follow back think they're "too good"?  No, and it's unfortunate anyone would be under that impression.

3. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 14 years ago

honestly i probabaly follow at least 200 hubbers and only have 141 followers from hubbers i followed to hubbers who have followed me and there are plenty of those hubbers that dont follow me ... it just means that what i write about they might not find interesting, they are busy, or they just dont keep up. there has been plenty of time i thought i followed someone but really hadnt.

in answer to you question no i am not to good to follow someone that followed me, nor do i delete or quit following just because they arent following me

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

The purpose of being a follower/fan is because you're interested in their work.

5. BeccaHubbardWoods profile image88
    BeccaHubbardWoodsposted 14 years ago

I will only follow people I find interesting. The hubs I don't find interesting are the picture hubs (you know the one's I'm talking about). It's nice to be followed, but I don't follow for the sake of being followed, nor do I follow someone simply because they followed me.

Besides, I don't like the term 'follower' anyway.

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Im your fan.  wink

2. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm fine with the term, "follower".  I just think in terms of "following" someone's newspaper column, as opposed to following some weird religious guru-type.  I'm fine with a whole lot of people not wanting to read what I write too.  I'm pretty much fine with most of what goes on here.  I just don't like to think that the idea is out there that if some of us don't automatically follow others back, it's a matter of a "too good to follow anyone else" attitude.  Every so often some version of this question comes up, usually because someone doesn't have a good reading on how following is supposed to work.

6. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

no one is "too good" to follow anyone else. although some people sure as heck act like it. roll

i try to reciprocate and follow people who follow me, but i heard that makes your hubscore drop, so i don't do it right away and by the time i can do it, i forgot wink

7. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Any Hubber that suffers through my grammer and spelling deserves a medal! So the least I can do is show them some love.smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)