Teaching my youngest son about God

Jump to Last Post 1-46 of 46 discussions (266 posts)
  1. winter11 profile image58
    winter11posted 13 years ago

I have a son who recently turned four and every night before we start his bedtime stories I show him how to bless himself and i read to him from his prayer book for children and then I read to him from his bible.  I also take him to church and when we go I dress up and I have him wear dress clothes as well.  I feel it is important to look respectful when attending church many people have seemed to have lost that tradition and its sad.  I also give to a charity a few times a year and i just told my son that I want him to help me buy the next donation of things and help put the basket together with me and come with me to give it, I feel little by little he will see and feel how good it is to give and how he needs god in his life.  I want him to know the importance of prayer and worship because growing up their are going to be times when he really needs to turn to god and just saying a daily thank you to him is good also.

1. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Winter:
      Anyone who teaches a "child" that this god thing is a reality is, in my mind, a child abuser!
      Why don't you just raise your child as "intelligently" as you can, preparing him to be able to function in a competetive world full of danger and jeopardy.
      Make sure he is loved, properly educated, and guided and when the time comes that he can understand "abstract" thought and determine for himself what he believes/disbelieves, let this god myth be his decision.
      Islam believes in "training" their children during the formative years to believe in "allah." When the child has reached maturity, the possibility of accepting truth is improbable.
      Catholic bishop Sheen said (paraphrase) give me a child from birth to 7 and I'll give you a catholic for life.
      You are doing your son a disservice!
      it would seem to me that you are one who has had your religion ingrained into your thinking to the point that you'd fit the  mold that shackles all bigoted monotheists.
      This is just my humble opinion.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

although i respect your opinion qwark. however, i don't think it's your place to call someone a child abuser just based on the fact they want their child to learn about god.  if the religion were to put the child's life in danger like human sacrifices in the old days with other religions, then yes i would agree with you.  however, if we're just talking about following the bible, going to church, and worshipping god in a peaceful manner, then i see no harm in it.

1. qwark profile image59

Then you don't understand why I think of people who teach their children that this god thing is "real," during the formative years of the mind, as being "child abusers."
          The god concept is "abstract!" There is not a child who has been born who between the age of birth to 5 can understand the concept: "abstract." Most adults have a difficult time understanding the definition.
          To teach a child that this god thing is a "reality" during the mind's formative yrs is purely and simply "brainwashing."
          You, during this time of an evolving childs life...ARE GOD!
          YOU represent "everything" that exists!
          That childs mind is yours to mold, to fashion into anything you wish it to be!
          In many facets of Islam children must learn the quar'an word for word! By the time they mature, they are intellectual/ psychological slaves to allah!
          I mentioned this before, catholic bishop sheen said: give me a child from birth to 7 and I'll give you a catholic for life!
          If you inculcate into a childs mind that biblical scriptures are all that is needed, that they provide all that is necessary for one to succeed and find joy in life, that child will look to all other facets of education, and reality to make it fit to what it has been programmed to believe.
          THAT TO ME IS CHILD ABUSE OF THE MOST HEINOUS KIND!
          Love your child from birth to death! From birth to 6 - 7 teach your child all that it can handle to adapt to life with respect and care!
          When the time comes for an introduction to "abstracts," make sure your son understands the concept.
          Help him study with an open mind and learn to make adult decisions for himself!
          For you, as his "god," to predispose him to the abstract concept "god" before he is ready, is, to me, child abuse!

1. Shadesbreath profile image79
            Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It depends HOW you teach them that the Bible is all they need.  A literal, word for word, indoctrination would make for a simpleton that might be happy within the social circle he/she runs it, but who would be ignored or even ridiculed by everyone outside of that circle.  However, if you taught, slowly, and in layers as he/she matured, explained over time how to parse meaning from metaphor with a general disposition for illustrating the nature of good that is the essence of social stability, then I think the kid would be okay.  Especially if you as a parent actually LIVED those lessons so that the kid saw you doing the same things that were coming out of your mouth  rather than paying lip service to the book and dressing up on Sundays. After that, it doesn't matter if there is someone listening to the prayers or not.  It's about the deeds.

2. profile image0
            Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well for starters, i don't have any kids.  plus, most girls don't seem to want a guy like me in real life, so i doubt seriously that's going to change in the near future.  lol. 

however, to get back to what you just said.  i can see where your coming from on this, and i respect your opinion to be different from my own.  however, i just don't like how your saying it.  to me child abuse is a form of mentally and physically scaring a child.  to me,that's child abuse.  which relates back to me saying that if the religion were to put the child in harms way like human sacrifices in the old religions, then yes your right.  however, if we're just talking about worshiping in a calm and civilize manner that doesn't hurt anyone, then whats the harm? 

besides, you want to talk about child abuse?  i was kicked in the face as a baby and thrown across the room when i was 8 yrs old.  in fact, if it wasn't for my mom catching me, then i would've gotten my head busted open. now THAT'S child abuse. that's why i find it kind of preposterous your suggesting that telling a child to read a damn bible is as bad as a baby being kicked in the face as a child.  tell me, how is making a child worship god as bad as that?  hmmm...

1. qwark profile image59

Steven:
              Wow! Sorry to read about that abuse of you!
              It escapes me how any, sane, human being could hurt a child.
              You know my feelings about that criminal act!
              It is "child abuse" to teach children that this god thing is "real."
              When a child is told the tales about this fearful biblical creature, the stories about the death, torture and destruction this god demands is usually overlooked! Why?
              Both sides of this fearful creature should be made evident. Life is love and hate! That's reality!
              This biblical god thing demanded the murder of tens of thousands of its creations! it flies into jealous rages, it angers and punishes severely, it kills children and the unborn...their flocks and pets! It rewards killers for killing! It allows the rape of baby girls1
              For goodness sakes Steven, why would you introduce a monster of this calibre to a developing mind?....and pass it off as being "real?"
              If that wouldn't scare the hell out of a child and give it nightmares I don't know what would!
              I raised My son my way.
              When he was in his early 20's he considered this god thing. I told him to study.
              He is a fantastic man who has no belief in fairytale god/s and is raising my grandkids the way I raised him.
              I know, I know I'm his Dad! But this kid never gave me one bit of trouble. I rasied him as a single Dad. He has never smoked, doesn't drink, has never tried drugs...etc., yes he is a sex addict (joking)like his Dad was...:-)but he's a son any man would be proud to say he's their's.
              Why lie to your kid if you had one and tell him that this biblical god thing is a god of love...when it IS NOT!
              "IT" killed every human and other life on this planet, so the biblical story goes, by drowning and only saved what could get on the little tiny ark....sure!!!!!
              "IT'S" a lie! Why lie to a child!

1. profile image0
                Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is sooooo seriously messed-up qwark.....

2. profile image51
                windowwashingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just because you don't believe doesn't mean every single person needs to live the way that you do. What you're saying here, is that the only right way to live is your way, someone cannot believe in something for the sake in believing it. Whether it be true, or false, you're saying that living by guidelines set by a religion is WRONG. What if, in my opinion, your way of life was wrong, does that make it child abuse that you are raising your kid that way? NO. Regardless of who did what based on a religion has no affect on how someone acts. By saying that it is wrong for someone to read their child the bible, you are saying that it is wrong for someone to let their child play any video game, watch any movie, or tv show, if it has something in it that is controversial. Can your children not read Harry Potter? Can they not play xbox? Maybe the CORRECT way in handling somebody's opinion and way of life, is to ACCEPT that they are different, and believe different things, and allow them to live THEIR way of life without you jumping in the middle of it telling them how wrong and evil they are. That is something that is in the Bible, that people generalize Christians for doing. Christianity tells you that it is WRONG to judge. What you are doing is making a broad generalization based on the actions of a few people. Yes, there are the Christians who judge, and tell you you're evil and will go to hell if you don't accept my beliefs as your beliefs. The religion, actually states that doing so is WRONG. You are educated in some things in the Bible, but you're making a generalization on all of the horrible things about the religion. When your way of life is PERFECT, without a flaw, then maybe you should criticize other people's beliefs. I'm not telling you that you are wrong at all, because how you live your life is exactly that, YOUR way of life. In all honesty we both know that it's not perfect, so why not take the amount of time that you are spending to criticize someone for THEIR way of life, and be happy that you have the ability to do that.  Once you are 100% perfect in the way that you live, instead of criticizing people then, maybe you should spend your willpower on making sure that other people can live life the way that they want to. Not the way that you think they should. Your theory on religion is full of holes. I'm not saying wrong, I'm saying INCOMPLETE. What you said to your son is correct, STUDY, but maybe it's time for you to do them same, before you attack people and call them wrong and abusive. When my parents introduced me to Christianity, what they taught me was this, LOVE everyone, HATE no one, JUDGE only YOURSELF, and accept people for what and who they ARE, not who you think they should be. Living this way has made my life an AMAZING one. I have met many people that I never would have had a led a shallow closed-minded life. I have listened to people of many different religions speak their point of view, even people who were anti-god, and when they tell me their opinion, I listen, and discuss with that what they've said, and then explain to them my beliefs. Too many people in America spend too much time trying to make people believe what they believe. ACCEPT THIS WOMAN'S WAY OF LIFE AND MOVE ON, don't sit around criticizing someone on their beliefs and opinions. When you share your opinion do exactly that, SHARE it, don't SHOVE it down their throats and call them bad people, because you only know a small part of who she is, and you are making a BROAD generalization based on one small thing. Educate yourself, and I urge you, share your opinion and way of life to people as an opinion, nothing more.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
                  Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If the guidelines set by a religion state that unbelievers of said religion will roast and suffer endless pain and torture burning in a lake of fire for eternity because they don't share the beliefs, does that make it right to teach to children?

It is if that person is teaching the same type of ideals as what is being taught by religions.

That isn't the same thing at all. People don't just read the bible to their children, they tell them that everything in the bible is true. Huge difference, don't ya think?

The contradictions of religion continue to pile up.

Our lives could be 99% imperfect, but it will never include threatening others with an eternity of hellfire and teaching it to our children.

Have you noticed that Christianity is the only religion you were taught then?

Do you also tell them that your religion states they will burn for an eternity in hellfire?

If people are telling me their god is going to send me to hell to burn for an eternity and then they tell me they love and worship this god, those people are obviously bad people. smile

1. profile image51

Well one assumption is wrong. I myself studied more than just Christianity, being that my Mom was Bahaii. Study that religion. The bible doesn't state that every person will. The people that will go to hell are sinners, people that cast aside their beliefs. Not EVERY non christian. That goes hand in hand with ignorance is bliss. I don't feel that it's that way. And honestly I live by Christian standards and morals, but I don't practice the religion. My SOLE purpose for the post, was that it IS wrong to attack people for their opinions.
                    Wrong to judge and generalize people for someone else's actions, and wrong to tell a parent that they are raising their child the wrong way because it's not the way that they would do it.

2. qwark profile image59

Hi Window:
                  Everything I write about is just my opinion.
                  I do "judge."
                  I've been where all "alledged" christians are....saved by jesus christ!
                  I was rescued by time, maturity and education.
                  Pls give me a time in the past 2000 years, when man was not involved in religious death and destruction.
                  Pls tell me why you claim that you need the bible to teach your children, morality, the concept of love and hate, how to judge, kindness and acceptance, manners etc., etc.?
                  The books such as Harry Potter, the games which depict war and death etc, are hopefully understood by your children to be fantasy...NOT REALITY! If they don't, parents are not doing their job!
                  The bible is packed with death and destruction, because of rage and jealousy, by a vindictive, anger filled super natural divinity! This is taught to be "truth" to children!
                  To teach a pre-pubescent child that this biblical god represents love, kindness, care and sensitiveness to others and then flies into rages and kills everyone and everything he created, is confusing to say the least, to a child who doesn't understand any of it!
                  All a child needs during those years is loving care and preparation by parents who desire their child to become all he/she can be in life.
                  In my many many years of life, I have studied just about everything relating to "reality" and was profoundly involved in that which was naught but pure "spam" in my life  i.e. christianity.
                  I'm glad tho for those were not wasted years. When amalgamated with all that I have learned in life it has increased my perspective relative to fact and fiction.
                  I judge based upon living, study and experience.
                  I would never harmfully abuse a young evolving human mind by teaching fiction as being truth!

1. profile image51

I respect what you just wrote, and I'm impressed. You are very correct, and you take credit for judging, which we ALL have done. When I think of someone teaching their child Christianity at a young age, I think more of what I learned at a young age, not of God destroying cities, drowning the WORLD for disapproval in how they lived, and those things, because those aren't right, those are the exact things that these extremists are doing, and even non Christians in this thread(attacking people for disapproval in how they choose to live!). At that age I learned other things from the Bible, selflessness, gratitude, honesty, dependability; all these things are in the Bible, and are LARGE parts of what Christians believe in. There are the extremists, who even I dislike, that ruin the whole idea of Christianity, by inputting images of pushiness, shortsightedness, and things of the sort on today's population. There are a lot of great things you can learn in the Bible, but it's not the only place that you can learn it. And also, you believe that the Bible is fiction, accept the fact that people live by it, and want their kids to believe in it also. You are very educated, but don't let you education and other GREAT points that you are bringing up, that people SHOULD take into consideration become invalid, because you will not accept the fact that no matter how mundane the Bible seems to you, that some people believe with all of their heart and soul in it. Give someone your opinion, but don't attack them about their's, that's all I ask.

2. Friendlyword profile image61
          Friendlywordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Amen my brother! Glad you're still here. Mark you continue to teach your child the basics of religion and God. We all need that foundation of decency to build on.

2. profile image58
        Mileeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Qwark its people like you I feel sorry for. Not only do I know God is real, but so did our forefathers of this great nation we call America.
        Thank God we have the right to worship how we choose here in America. I'm not a self righteous person so I'm not going to say how you should believe. Thats your choice. But "Winter" is not only spending time with her child, she is teaching him the joy of giving. How can that be wrong? So you don't believe in God. FINE! But don't be so self righteous by accusing others who have faith in a higher power that they are abusive.

Way to go Winter. Not only are you teaching your son the love of God but your teaching him good morals.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
          Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So you cannot learn morals without the invisible super being? This the same invisible super being that will burn you in hell for not believing? I can smell the fear.

You can teach morals and the joy of giving without the threat of punishment for not doing so. Awesome that the love of God killed so many natives though. You must be very proud. And the slaves..... Wonderful. What a great god of this great nation. The only nation to have dropped an atomic bomb on a civilian population. Jesus must be very, very proud. wink

I pity you. Sad. sad

1. hanging out profile image60
            hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol
            If mans society can drop a bomb on another continent, why do you blame god for that? Do you think that if people were living according to gods ways or even according to your ways that the bomb would have been dropped or would you have dropped it earlier? You talk as though you have all the answers but all i hear coming out of you is wrongness.
            We can all learn morals without a super being, following god is not about obtaining morals, how can you claim to be so wise and totally miss this point? We take our good morals and we love god on top of those morals and we pick up some more, like loving our enemies, etc. something you would never do i am sure.
            Teaching morals has nothing to do with the christian doctrine of hell, which i am sure you would be surprised to learn many many christians these days are turning away from that old doctrine of eternal punishment and torture forever in burning hell. But i suppose that is the trouble with believing you are the sum of all knowledge and in that you forget to research before you speak outdated non truths. If any place is a place to teach joy and love it is in the parameters of christianity.
            God did kill people. ungodly people who were about 3,000 yrs from posting crap on hubpages like the athiests do on here today. lol so in the day you will get what you get and if you argue, god will just open up your account on the big screen and we will see the state of your heart toward god. Every word is important. This christians teach their children also.
            p.s. god "smart bombed" hail onto his enemies so that more people died by the hail than by the sword".
            it is us who pity the outdated, ancient info non believers hold onto of yet another christian time gone by. sad, so sad.
            really sad.

Don't you think it should be?

If we all had morals, perhaps there would be no enemies.

They are turning away from their gods word? Isn't that a sin?

If Christianity is not about teaching morals, that may be why god killed people. smile

2. qwark profile image59

Milee: THIS IS NOT AN ATTEMPT TO INSULT!
          Thanks for a passionate and abjectly ignorant response.
          I cannot intellectually respond to a remark that is so obviously framed and expressed based soley upon bigotry and lack of an ability to understand.
          I expect responses such as yours from such as you.
          You and your ilk represent all that is creating problems for human kind in its attempt to progress.
          I understand you. I've been where you are.
          Thankfully I was "gifted" with an insatiable desire to learn and make sense of "reality" and escaped!
          It is evident, to me, that you and those like you were not present when that gift was offered.
          This is NOT AN INSULT.
          It is just my honestly stated opinion of you and what you represent..i.e. regressive thought.

1. profile image58
            Mileeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sure it is! And ditto!

1. qwark profile image59

hahaha...Milee, there was no "intent" to insult.
              No one can be "insulted" unless they allow it....evidently you allowed it.
              To me, your response is expected and understood.
              Thanks for "playing." lol   :-)

1. Valerie F profile image61
                Valerie Fposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Classic response of a verbal bully.  If you physically struck someone, you'd probably blame them for allowing themselves to get hurt, too.

3. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile big_smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image57

I understand that this is how your fear-filled religion propagates itself and ensures an ongoing supply of soldiers, but still...

Christianity is not a religion for children. It is an adult religion that promotes hatred and wars.

I agree with Quark - In my opinion - you are abusing your child with this nonsense. Shame on you.

Who are you dressing him up for? You think god cares what clothes he is wearing? Makes you feel good though huh? Bet the neighbors are impressed with your piety. wink

1. karobi profile image63
        karobiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As much as i respect you opinion, but i think for you to say that bringing your child up in the way of the Lord is about recruiting soldiers of hatred and wars is not true.  Because there is no place in the Bible that teaches hatred and war so where i s that one coming from.

I think the issues that we needed to address is what Hubber Stevennix2001 said in his or her contribution above. that is, as you teach them the way of the Lord you as the parent must also live accordingly as a model for the children to see that those virtues you teach them are found in you. I think I will try to make a hub on this issues extensively not a distance time to come

You're absolutely sure about that? Read it again. Here's just a small taste.  wink

"Go up, my warriors, against the land of Merathaim and against the people of Pekod. Yes, march against Babylon, the land of rebels, a land that I will judge!  Pursue, kill, and completely destroy them, as I have commanded you," says the LORD.  "Let the battle cry be heard in the land, a shout of great destruction".   (Jeremiah 50:21-22 NLT)

and when america was populated all of this was done so very eloquently. The wars of britain and france were so bloodless, the incas were not slaughtered. The white people are above reproach.

lol lol lol

you deceive yourself and others with your lies about how savage the bible is when your own history is absolutely no better and is more recent and has an atomic bomb in it, 2, in fact.
            lol and i laugh again sir. lol

Are you laughing at the atheists who had no hand in exercising those atrocities or the Christians who did. smile

2. qwark profile image59

Karobi:
          "As much as i respect you opinion, but i think for you to say that bringing your child up in the way of the Lord is about recruiting soldiers of hatred and wars is not true.  Because there is no place in the Bible that teaches hatred and war so where i s that one coming from."
          Pls explain this for me:

Kill the Entire Town if One Person Worships Another God?

"Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods.  In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully.  If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock.  Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it.  Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God.  That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt.  Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction.  Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you.  He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors.  "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him."  (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT
          Would you read this to your son about this god thing you want him to believe in?
          What kind of lesson would this teach him?
          What would be the reason you would give your son for this god things murderous action?

3. getitrite profile image72
          getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You should ACTUALLY read the bible!

(Moses) stood at the entrance to the camp and shouted, "All of you who are on the LORD's side, come over here and join me." And all the Levites came.  He told them, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: Strap on your swords! Go back and forth from one end of the camp to the other, killing even your brothers, friends, and neighbors."  The Levites obeyed Moses, and about three thousand people died that day.  Then Moses told the Levites, "Today you have been ordained for the service of the LORD, for you obeyed him even though it meant killing your own sons and brothers. Because of this, he will now give you a great blessing."  (Exodus 32:26-29 NLT)

"We want to get the hell over there. The quicker we clean up this Goddamned mess, the quicker we can take a little jaunt against the purple pissing Japs and clean out their nest, too. Before the Goddamned Marines get all of the credit." ~ General George S. Patton, Jr (This politically incorrect speech was given to Patton's troops on June 5, 1944.)

You will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world. Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped, and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely....The free men of the world are marching together to victory. I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory. Good luck, and let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking." ~General Dwight D. Eisenhower giving the D-Day order on June 6, 1944.

On February 23, approximately 1,500 Mexican troops marched into San Antonio de Béxar which is now named San Antonio as the first step in a campaign to re-take Texas. For the next 12 days the two armies engaged in several skirmishes with minimal casualties. Aware that his garrison could not withstand an attack by such a large force, Travis wrote multiple letters pleading for more men and supplies, but fewer than 100 reinforcements arrived.

“Disperse, ye rebels; disperse!” he cried, riding up. But they did not disperse. Pitcairn ordered his men to fire, and eighteen minutemen fell to the ground.

"They did not have a problem with over one hundred thousand of the enemy being killed. After all, the Japanese attacked America" (about the atomic bomb being dropped)

Data are for the period December 1, 1941, through December 31, 1946, when hostilities were officially terminated by presidential proclamation. Number serving from December 1, 1941, through August 31, 1945, were: Total 14,903,213; Army 10,420,000; Navy 3,883,520; and Marine Corps 599,693

1. getitrite profile image72

This sounds like a deluded, and desperate interpretation of scripture.  I take the bible literally, why don't you?

Oh, I forgot, you need to make up stuff to feed this delusion.

because when i read wisdom books or poetic books or prophecy books i see huge areas where literalism is not applicable. When i read jesus parables i see metaphor not literalism.. my delusion interprets correctly.
                i can assume that your literalism leaves you in the dark or confused.

Psalms 141:3   "Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips". so you think timex or rolex is hanging out by your mouth, and the door of your lips is made of what wood? or is it a screen door.
                Psalms 141:7   "Our bones are scattered at the grave's mouth, as when one cutteth and cleaveth wood upon the earth" and of course the grave has a mouth. Is it wearing lipstick or would that be infering too much.

literally, have a nice day watch out it doesn't rain cats and dogs. lol

4. Mark Knowles profile image57

Hmm. So - you must have not read the bible and are unable to see the current conflict it causes and happy to pretend the last 2000 years are not littered with dead bodies caused by the bible.

I think the issue we need to address is the denial and completely irrational beliefs of blind religionists such as yourself.

1. qwark profile image59

..amen, Mark, AMEN!!!

2. hanging out profile image60

Data are for the period December 1, 1941, through December 31, 1946, when hostilities were officially terminated by presidential proclamation,  Number serving from December 1, 1941, through August 31, 1945, were: Total 14,903,213; Army 10,420,000; Navy 3,883,520; and Marine Corps 599,693

war of 1812, vietnam war, gulf war, slaughter of north american indians and the aztec race.
            yah sure the white race is above reproach lol

just because your wars are more recent doesnt make them better even if there are 2, count em 2 atomic bombs in it.

what a lot of rant you do put out.

3. hanging out profile image60

If you sat in your chair with duct tape over your..... fingers. there would be 33% less conflict lol

you are not the mirror you are the problem
            Let me introduce you to irony

lol lol

1. earnestshub profile image81
              earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not likely! There are plenty of other sane people to fill any gap Mark leaves. smile

4. hanging out profile image60

and none of these wars i just mentioned are because of the bible.

3. getitrite profile image72

My parents tried the same crap with me, but I chose not to believe it!  It's nothing but brainwashing, period.

everything we believe has washed our brains. But its not what brainwashes us but the quality of the thing that washes our brains.
        Sorry to hear you didn't quite understand what was going on. Maybe the temptations of the world or the lusts of the flesh were to much for you to decline, perhaps. Being different than others makes you uncomfortable? You were addicted to crack and now can afford cocaine on a daily basis?

So did the world brainwash you or are you independant of the world? did the lusts of the flesh make you independent? Is the fact that you are like everyone else making you happy and carefree? did your past addictions fade away until there was a new man standing in the previous mans place?

just askin. not poking or jokin.. you don't have to answer of course.
        food for thought. tryin to be nice here not sarcastic. send me an email if you prefer, whatever. Christianity works for me i often wonder why it doesn't work for others.

It does not work for me, because I choose to be honest.  I also choose to not let fear define my life.

I have the courage to accept that I would be dishonest if I took an ancient book of myths to be truth.

It requires nothing but fear to be a believer.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
            Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Could take a few different things not related to fear. Brainwashing is a good one. A personal revelation could too. Faith is not always fear related. Many are merely in need of a crutch. Would you like them leaning on you. Stress not on how someone else makes it through the world, diff'rent strokes ya know. You get there your way, I get there mine, they get there their own way. What someone else believes should be the least of our worries, It creates divisiveness, no matter what side you take.

4. Danny R Hand profile image59
      Danny R Handposted 13 years agoin reply to this

CHILDREN ARE LIKE SPONGES! Then best thing you can give your child is' YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD' You worry about God, God wil take care of the rest.

5. Beelzedad profile image59

I'm guessing you won't be teaching your son anything about other religions (they're evil) but your own? I think there is a word for this type of "teaching."  smile

As well, will you also teach your son that science is bad and evolution is a lie?  smile

6. h.a.borcich profile image60
      h.a.borcichposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Kids learn by example better than being told when it comes to matters of faith. If they are taught to be charitable - they will become charitable. If they are shown how to trust Him - they will know to trust Him. Your child is watching your every action more closely than he hangs on your every word.
         I am one of those who attends a more relaxed church and rarely are we dressed up. I can't see how what I am wearing is any more important than what kind of car I drive or how big  a house I live in compared to what is is in my heart. We are all free to chose.
        As far as the ones here on the forums who are non believers and very vocal - I just say a prayer for them. Makes no difference where you post, or if you are posting to others of like mind - a few just have to jump in like they have been splashed with holy water. Don't let them get to you, just keep giving your son a great example of living in faith.
      God Bless, Holly

7. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is wonderful.  Remember, though, that we can teach our children all the curriculum in the world of Jesus Christ and His teachings, but it's all fruitless without daily showing the works of that teaching in our lives.  Walking the walk build a greater foundation than just knowing the walk.  In fact some of the greatest hypocrites in the world are those who profess all the knowledge in the world on faith, yet in public and/or private fail to implement those teachings into their lives.  They become as ships without anchor in the storm.  However, couple together the knowledge of the gospel and "how" it applies to one's life in the eyes and understanding of a child, that child will be a great asset and power in the years to come. smile

8. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Winter,

Not sure anyone should tell you what to do or not -as both sides of the religious persist on doing (mostly to quarrel with each other and satisfy amazing gaps in their understanding outside their brains or sensations)

G/god is a title, a false one at that.
      My son is all but near two years and already understands Creator by every single point. It is both amazing and frightening at times. I believe all children do but are pulled away by influences.
      Everything that exists IS Creator, from dust floating in the sunlight air on a sunny afternoon to billion mile formations of galaxies. Ever human is a part of Creator. If anything, I will teach him these things - not limited notions of the Ism -either side- which are both redundant and useless without each other. Teaching him everything is Creator and creation, then watching the amount of Grace He expresses.

Best Regards,

James.

9. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well that is all wonderful.  My only advice is when he comes of age, and has questions- don't blow them off.  Let him explore other religious options if he so desires, and let him make the decision to be in a faith or not. 

Just because your son will reach a certain age soon, like first communion or Confirmation in the Methodist faith, doesn't mean it is right for him.  Let him decide.

I am a staunchly religious person.  My husband is agnostic and my beautiful 14yr old son is an Atheist.  My son does more Charitable work than I do.  He is a far more patient individual than I am.  My husband and son are very compassionate and passionate people.  I am not.  I'm a too each their own person.  I'm cold and stand offish.  I'm judgmental.  I'm religious so of course I'm these things.

So much so, that sometimes I'm incline to wonder if I'd be better off without my faith and religion.  Food for thought.  Your child, your rights. 

You know- my son is a highly intelligent individual, as I'm sure your son will be.  I raised him in church in his early years, and then one day he started reading the newspaper, listening to the news, and reading commentary about other worldly views.  Over time, he stopped going to church.  Then one day, he sat down and said, "Mom- I don't believe in God."  He said, "If God is who I think he is....  I want nothing to do with him." 

It was done.  I'm extremely proud of the good hearted boy he is.  And what he offers to needy children everyday by coaching their little league games......., well that is priceless you know.  That is not developed in a church.  God doesn't create that.  I did.  My husband did.  My son did. 

So you see, sometimes I wonder if I'm in the wrong place.

Parents need to listen to their children, when they're right, they're right. smile

2. Valerie F profile image61

The problem is that God is not and is not limited to what anyone thinks He is.

1. sgoutsourcing profile image60
          sgoutsourcingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like what you said, this is certainly true.  We must stay open to all he has for us in our life which is purpose and Kingdom fulfillment.  However, in order to know we must seek the kingdom first of course and the righteousness of God.  Good post

10. real zee profile image61
      real zeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

congratulations. The Bible says teach them when young, they will not turn from it. I belive. The most important thing to not forget is the teaching of God's Son Jesus CHRIST,  The only way to heaven.
      Cheers!

1. qwark profile image59

Zee:
        The qur'an is taught in the same manner. It is believed that by teaching islam from birth, they will have a muslim for life. Catholics also understand the "benefits" of getting 'em young and inculcating them early..they will have a catholic for life.
        I know that the probability of you considering "logic' or "reason" is nil...so I'll quit here and hope that one day the the human species rids itself of religious fad and and replaces it with an understanding and acceptance of truth and reality..
        Fingers crossed!

2. Obscure Divine profile image60
        Obscure Divineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You say "the only way to heaven"...uh, do you know how that makes you sound?  LOL!  That is absolutely an utterly preposterous proposal of divine poppycock! big_smile

11. sgoutsourcing profile image60
      sgoutsourcingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Winter 11, it appears as if you are on the right track,  I start teaching with my children at young age as well since my oldest was 5. He is now 19 years old, I was thinking about your writing in reference to people losing respect in the house of God.  I myself don't believe it is the lost of respect, it is that the Lord Jesus Christ has brought us the spirit of liberty and freedom.  The dressing yes i understand where you are coming from, but what God looks at is the heart.  If we only train them from the outter appearance then we would be robbing them of who God has really called them to be.  The teaching or worship and prayer is certainly important to our children. Someday our children may have to minister to those who don't have perse' clothing.  However, the love of God brings and assurance of who He is in those lives with the spoken word of edification, and the building up of.   With the drawing of the Holy Spirit the Lord will change from the inside out bringing appearance if need be under subjection.  Great post.

2. coolbreeze profile image44
    coolbreezeposted 13 years ago

Teach him to make his own choices about God. In an infinite universe their are infinite options.

3. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 13 years ago

Hey Winter! Good job! Just answer the questions don't elaborate they'll come back to you when they need more info!smile Just love'um to death! Never,ever is there too much love!smile

4. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 13 years ago

It is fine to teach him about God , we teach our children and there isn't anything wrong with it all. There are parents who teach there children that there is not a God, that they can make choices but that is what makes it a beautiful place to be. Just let him know when he his older that there are those who do not believe and that is o.k. , he has to just worry about himself amd let God do the rest. smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

roll

1. AEvans profile image73
        AEvansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Would you stop being so naughty smile You know it is o.k. if you do not bring your children up to judge others there won't me so many sour pussy's that walk the earth. smile

But - the if you bring them up not to think for themselves you have the opposite. All that love the Kristians show to their fellow man is hard to stomach.

It's for your own good...... wink

1. profile image0
            Justine76posted 13 years agoin reply to this

but....

who will pray for you?

big_smile

1. profile image0
                Justine76posted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile have a good night. Im outta here, off to further discuss important things, like boobs.

2. AEvans profile image73

I am listening smile Even though I still believe smile

2. Beelzedad profile image59

Is it okay to teach children about other gods and other religions and then ask them to make a choice? Or, are their choices limited to the parents religion only?  smile

Our children currently are Christian however we have been teaching them about other religions. If they choose to become another religion or a person who only believes in scientific theory when they get older that certainly would not make us love them any less. Although I strongly believe in Christianity it does not mean our children will as they get older and if they choose not to attend church with us, I would also understand. We are only trying to give them tools to be cordial and well mannered citizens and bring them up the best that we can. The same applies for non-believer parents to they do all that they can to bring them up but when they become adults or old enough to understand it should be there choice on which direction they should take. smile

Like, how evil they all are? smile

We don't teach our children that others are evil please do not place me in that category of Christians that is certainly not appropriate. Do I condemn you and what you teach your children? Nope! So who is the person with more integrity? I am. smile

Then, what do you teach your children about other religions? Do you have copies of the Talmud, Quran, Hadiths, etc. and they are reading them?

The same thing you teach yours, lololololo big_smile

I seriously doubt that. I have not taught my kids that any one god exists, you have. I have not taught them that this god created the universe, you have. I have not taught them that this god will send them to hell if they don't worship and obey him, you have.

Are you starting to notice the glaring contradictions of how we teach our children?  smile

5. getitrite profile image72
    getitriteposted 13 years ago

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt90/Wes878/indoctrination-jesus-god-stupid-ind.jpg

6. TLMinut profile image58
    TLMinutposted 13 years ago

It's child abuse to ridicule your child (if it comes to that) and others where the child knows of it for realizing there's more to life than the little box of current human knowledge.

Brainwashing? Clean thinking? Sounds like a good thing.
    Besides, children are self-centered little creatures, it's a survival thing. They need parents to "brainwash" them into caring for others as well, it isn't something that comes naturally.

7. TLMinut profile image58

The ones who claim it's evil to teach your children about God:

Believing in God (in whatever form) and focusing on love for all is obviously not abusive. I know what you mean about teaching a child to believe in something that's not true since that's what you think, but just because people pervert true religion doesn't make religion wrong or bad in any way. Just like discipline, conversation, disagreements, etc., what matters is how it's done. A child raised to fear and hate will suffer, it doesn't matter if it's God, the parents, strangers, whatever.

Were you abused when your parents let you be taught things in school that are now considered disproven? Did your parents abuse you by confirming what you were taught though it's now known to be wrong?

It isn't evil to teach children about gods, only about a God. smile

1. qwark profile image59

Beelz:
        Quite correct!

8. Stuart Barnes profile image58
    Stuart Barnesposted 13 years ago

I would just hope that we can teach children to be accepting of other beliefs beside just their own creed.  I think most formal religions force God into a box which makes no sense because He is the maker of the box.

1. profile image0

(sigh)
      I'm amazed at how so many people want God to be so accepting of unbelief.

2. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Entirely agree!  It's amazing.  Over the past year I have been working diligently to reach out to the religious community in our area.  I've developed a close friendship with a Catholic Priest who, last week, invited my LDS congregation to his Good Friday Services.  He even asked me to speak at the service.  That was a first in the state of Iowa - a Mormon speaking at a Good Friday service in a Catholic church.  It was wonderful!  All this proves that, although extremely painful at times, the walls of pride can be breached and bridges can be formed to other peoples and other faiths.  All you need to do is affirm a common ground or foundation upon which you both subscribe - and start building.  For us, it's the belief in Jesus Christ as our Savior.  All else are appendages to that, but as long as you hold to that one foundation you can have fruitful relations with other faiths. smile smile smile

9. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

I would like to offer a challenge to anyone who disagrees with what I comment about this biblical god.
    Prove me wrong! Don't just make trite, cowardly, inane comments about how "screwed" up my thinking is.
    Take my challenge and offer proofs of my "messed up" comments.
    Go for it.

10. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Tell your kid to

- Join christian social network
    - Read christian blogs
    - Watch Godtv
    - Don't read what atheists say
    - Don't waste time with atheists
    - Read more about fantasy
    - Pray 3 times regularly
    - Don't read books from other religions as it's false god
    - Maintain a diary about his feelings for god
    - Attend church every weekend
    - Attend programs organized by other christian scholar
    - Buy stuff from only christian person
    - Buy opinion from only christian person
    - If any islamic/hindu/buddhist opinion is there reject it
    - Don't make online friends with other religions
    - Don't read science if it discards your relationship with god
    - Don't think about science if it gives you uncomfort
    - If science gives you uncomfort bend it to suit your feelings
    - Pray for your other christian friends
    - Pray for democrats
    - Pray for sarah palin
    - Pray for any president who is christian
    - Read only christian fantasy stories...

This is enough to get your child into religion...

11. stephensaldana profile image60
    stephensaldanaposted 13 years ago

TEaching about god should be neutral.. If you deal with a child about god then you must teach them that god is nothing but your inner strength.....God is one and beliefs are different of variosu people.. preachings are different.. but god is one.. that is inner strength..

12. profile image51
    windowwashingposted 13 years ago

a lot of controversy for someone making decisions on how to raise their own kids. I respect the solid FACT based opinions but many people are speaking from opinion only. And what would you rather somebody do? Go to countries where people are peacefully living their own lives, and tell them that if they don't accept Jesus as their lord and savior that they are going to hell? or would you rather have someone raise their kid the way that they were raised? There are so many different viewpoints to this, maybe it's best for people to get more facts before they speak. Yes Christianity has spurred wars, but they are not a hate based religion. Neither is Islam, yet they feel that martyrdom is rewarded by an afterlife with however many virgins. PEOPLE start wars, not the religions. Christianity is as much responsible for what goes on in the world as any other religion, it takes people to pull the trigger, drop the bomb, etc etc.

It takes an ideology like religion to give people a reason to pull the trigger, etc. smile

1. profile image51

Ok so what you're saying then, is ALL ideology is wrong. It is wrong to have any beliefs, because obviously, beliefs lead to hate crimes. No, it's extremists, like qwark, who ATTACK people with other ideals that start things like this. Wars, fights, and controversies, all from the fact that people, Christian extremists, Muslim extremists, anti-abortion extremists, extreme anarchists, and all other extremists, CANNOT accept people having a separate opinion. I never EVER expect anyone to adopt my opinion or way of life, and I hate when people just can't accept the fact that people are going to live differently. All I ask is to accept the fact that someone is different from you, and don't generalize a whole group of people based on a someone else in the same group's actions.

Not all ideologies are wrong, some ideologies don't work, or cause more harm than good, or just don't follow with reality. It is our place as humans to find the ones that benefit us rather than embrace the ones that hinder.

While I mostly agree with you, I don't agree that qwark not be allowed to attack someones ideals with other ideals, that my friend, is why we are all here.

We all need to detach ourselves from our beliefs in order to place them in front of us for discussion, criticism, and yes, even for an attack. There's no reason to worry about it, they're just words on a screen.

I don't remember exactly who said it, but it was referenced in regards to the ACLU and it's defense in not allowing hate speech to be censored. I'll try to paraphrase:

"The only way to combat hate speech is with more speech."  smile

1. profile image51

I have no problem at all with debate, I am actually enjoying this! It made my day go by very fast. Attacking, however, and discussing are two different things. There is a way to express your dislike in someone else's opinion without attacking them about it. There is a line, and I feel that the post crossed it and came off as overly harsh. I feel that people SHOULD come here to express their beliefs and talk back and forth about them, but attacking them, and making UNEDUCATED IMMATURE remarks, like my new friend Mark Knowles has done
            "Mark Knowlesposted 45 minutes agoin reply to this
            Your beliefs are garbage. Hate mongering, divisive religionism.", is not the proper way to compose yourself, and express how you feel about anything. Mostly because there is no factual evidence behind any of that post. Hate mongering? I openly stated HATE NO ONE, and I expressed no viewpoints towards any religion whatsoever. The proper way to debate is not by slandering someone's viewpoints. It's by discussing them =].

I really do enjoy the level of intelligence in here, minus the few inbreds that obviously speak out of anger, for being proven wrong, in many cases.

While I can see how you were offended by Marks comments, I must insist that Mark did state quite emphatically, your "beliefs" are garbage and that those beliefs harbor hate mongering and are divisive. The comments were not made towards you personally, but instead towards the beliefs. And, while I think it is most certainly a harsh attack on those beliefs, Mark has every right to say so as he is attacking the ideology and not the person, imho. smile

1. Valerie F profile image61

He attacks the person holding those beliefs. He didn't say "Christian beliefs," but "your beliefs." Furthermore, what's most important to you in your life? How would you like it if I called that garbage, then disingenuously claimed I wasn't attacking you for holding it so important?

How would you like it if by implication or even directly, I accused you falsely of perpetuating a hate-mongering belief system?

Yes, the "beliefs" - that is exactly what I said. If he were attacking the person, he would have called them stupid or fat or ugly or some such thing that attacks the person. smile

If the most important thing in my life, as you say, is a god who will send everyone who doesn't love and obey them to a lake of hellfire to suffer utter torment for an eternity, then yes, you are free to attack what is most definitely garbage.  smile

Please do, I'd be happy to show you otherwise. smile

2. getitrite profile image72

I found this video.  I think this should be categorized as child-abuse, and these adults should be arrested!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mu5G175_uo

1. profile image51

I'll agree to that, but you can't generalize a WHOLE religion based on a SMALL percentage of the people in that group! It's like saying that EVERY SINGLE MUSLIM is a terrorist! It's nowhere near true.

Well.... unless you are in favor of the indoctrination - in which case = Perfectly OK to generalize.

Hypocrite. wink

1. profile image51

Hypocrite? How so? I wouldn't throw names around without at least a proper reason why.

Are you blind? The person I responded to generalized - then you jumped on me for nay saying. I don't see you attacking the guy who thinks all Kristians will grow up to be sweet natured if they are fed the BS at age 4.

Hypocrite. Scroll up Kristian.

1. profile image51

Once again, I don't see me being a hypocrite. In what way did I do something that I am condoning? And honestly, I'm arguing the NEGATIVE generalizations that are making many people look bad who aren't. I would much rather you call the Martyrs of Islam peaceful, like the rest of the Muslims, than you call an innocent Muslim a terrorist. Why? Because there are MUCH more peaceful Muslims than there are Martyrs. There are MANY more kind people in the world than there are hateful. So why make every person in a group look bad, when they aren't all bad?

Oh - you are only arguing against NEGATIVE generalizations? Well in that case.....

Sure - all Nazis were innocent. Sure. Nazism good.

What is the ratio here? The inquisition and the child abuse? How many good kristinas make the last 2000 years of war ok?

You would much rather I?........

Not that you are telling me how to live or anything..... lol

1. profile image51

The idea that Hitler, if you have studied Mein Kampf(my struggle) you would know that Hitler OPPOSED racism. His solution, however, was to rid the world of all but one race. Which, in the end, would rid the world of racism, and honestly, that's about the only way to do it, because, proven in this thread, no one has tolerance for anything different than themselves. Are Christians responsible for the last 2000 years of wars? No, they aren't. Sure, most every war was led by someone that was Christian, but does that mean that the religion itself is responsible? People misinterpret what they know. Columbine? Kids that were bullied, so they wanted to stop being bullied and get back. Does that mean that every single bully victim is sick in the head? Once again, even with the majority of a group being WRONG, you can't generalize the whole group based on the majority's actions either. If 63%(a majority) of American's were clinically obese in 2009, does that mean that if you are an American, that you are obese? Most likely, but you can't judge the remaining 37% on everyone else being obese. Even if 99% of Christians are hate-mongers, you can't judge the remaining 1% on being that way. And in no way, shape, or form am I telling anyone HOW to live. Because your life does not affect me whatsoever. I'll get in my BMW, drive home, Turn on the TV and Xbox, and spend a fun night with my 6 year old brother. You're inability to accept other people being different has 0 affect on my life. So live how you want to, I'm merely criticizing the fact that people want to attack a woman for doing what she knows best to do for her child to become a great adult. I learned a lot of Christian values from my parents. They hold well, and in my opinion, are positive traits about myself. And, in closing, Nazism being good, if you derive Nazism from the source, Adolf Hitler, his ideas were ingenious. He opposed racism and wanted to UNIFY the world. Did he go at it in the correct manner? NOT AT ALL. But in looking at the nature of humans, I can see where he may have developed a hopelessness, seeing how many extremists in every religion, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and EVERY other religion, refuse to accept any sort of difference; which probably led to his outlook on life, that the only way to unify everyone, and eliminate most of the hate from the world, was to make everyone the same. I don't believe in his methods, but what he wanted to do, was actually a noble thing. But since someone will definitely misinterpret me, I will say again, what he did was WRONG, HORRIBLE, and outright DISGUSTING, but until you actually study him in depth, you will only make generalizations based on a lack of knowledge.

13. Tom Cornett profile image82
    Tom Cornettposted 13 years ago

I would teach him/her to be wise and not judgmental.  As far as religion being "child abuse"...that would make great men and women such as Martin Luther King and Mother Theresa child abusers.
    Religion has its evils and good works as all things do.  Teach your child of both sides to all things.

1. profile image51

I strongly agree to that. Too many people put too much emphasis on the BAD people who represent something. The US is bad because of GW Bush, Afghanistan is bad because of Osama, Iraq is bad Because of Sadam, Cuba is bad because of Castro, what about the unspoken MAJORITY of a certain group, you can't CORRECTLY generalize a group of people off of the actions of a SMALL amount of bad people.

2. TamCor profile image76
      TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Amen...smile

14. IntimatEvolution profile image69
    IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years ago

You know, I just realized something......  I think winter1 left the building. 

I guess they really didn't care, and just wanted to gain a bigger hubber following.  Well that is one way to make an entrance.

15. mikeshelp profile image61
    mikeshelpposted 13 years ago

I'm reading about what's being said about the only true god and teaching our children to pray to him and accept him as your savior. Even though the child may not understand what is being taught to them at such a young age, the lord knows what you as a parent are doing and will watch over and protect that child until they do grow up and understand what it means to have the lord in their lives. That child will grow up with a sense of morals, know what's wrong and right and have a sweet disposition. All you can do is try your best as a parent the rest is up to that child who grows up and the lord, but at least you did your best.

Sure - Christians that are indoctrinated in this way (last 2000 years) are real sweet. Nio Kriminals, nuthin. Real sweet dispositions. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

What planet are you from?

1. profile image51

how are you going to make a generalization based on the fact that you know not even .1% of christians in the world? Christians have extremists, therefore all Christians are in your face bible bashers. Effective way to classify a HUGE group of people, probably close to 1billion people in the world. Every single one of those are exactly the generalization that you are making. Open your eyes to more than what you WANT to see and make people to be. I know a lot of christians who you wouldn't even expect to be christian. Why? because they aren't like the people that you're making the generalization about. All Muslims are suicide bombers. All Japanese people work with electronics. All gay men have AIDs. All black men steal. Every mexican in the US is illegal. Every Christian wants to shove their religion in your face until you believe what they do.

And you're a real peach yourself, Mark.

Keep tellin' ya. Do unto others? OK - will do. wink

16. IntimatEvolution profile image69

Wow.....  I guess the bottomline here is, "my kid, my rules."

Which I agree with.  To each their own.  It does not mean one way is right over another.  It also doesn't mean you are lying either.  I honestly believe in the Spirit of Santa Claus.  I do.

Am I wrong?  No.  Why?  It exists to me.

When it comes to raising children, calling parents liars for believing a different way than you do Qwark, is way out of line.  You said it yourself that you are a parent.  Well then- get a life and grow up and learn a new set of terminology.  Liar, was a very bad choice of words.

17. getitrite profile image72

My parents were Pentecostal zealots, and they tried to totally brainwash my siblings and me, from birth.  When we became adults, my older brother and I contemplated bringing a lawsuit against the Pentecostal Church.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image69

That's interesting.

You should have if it affected you so profoundly in a negative manner.  You should have.  Christian freaks need to be held as accountable for their leadership, as much as McDonald's does for its coffee and french fries.

Yeah, the church should be held responsible for the tactics they compel others to use on defenseless children.  Furthermore, religion did not make my parents better people, in fact, it made them worse.  And they neglected us for the church!
        So the brainwashing and neglect were the basis of the lawsuit.

Do it.  If you feel so strongly about this, why not follow through with it?  What's stopping you?  I'm sure you could find the funding you needed, by soliciting an Atheist lawyer.  It would be a good format for the American Atheist Society, not to mention good press for them, and a good source of income for your lawsuit.

18. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Any parent is  a failure to themselves and their children if they do not teach their children those things in which they believe......  Period

Proof?

19. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

I have never called anyone a "liar" in the forums.
    I may say you misrepresent the truth...but I have never, never called anyone a liar in the forum rooms.

It sure seem like you are and did. 

I do not mean to misrepresent you.  But it is what it is.

I'm sure your temper just got the best of you at that moment, and maybe you don't fully realize what your post comes across as saying.

To me- you were calling him a Liar.  Maybe you should calm down before you write in the heat of the moment.  Why?  Because as we all know now, you sincerely didn't mean for it to come across that way.  Good for you.  However it did. 

Maybe for once you could recount your verbiage, and apologize for the offensive tone of your post.  Since you clearly state that you were not calling him a liar.

Just a grown up thought.tongue

20. IntimatEvolution profile image69

http://www.atheists.org/  You should try it.  Here is a name to Google, Eddie Tabash.  He is an American lawyer and atheist activist.  This is right up his alley.

Thanks. But aren't you a believer?

Yes. And I believe with zeal.

But my beliefs in Christ is consumed in the way he lived his life.  Spreading love, compassion and joy.  I believe in God.  I believe in a Creator.  But I also believe in evolution, reincarnation, and many more things.  I think the key to heaven is somewhere in the realms of Buddhism.  I also don't think Christ is the only ticket to heaven. I further believe, that my beautiful Atheist son Zachary Charles, will be in the front of the "Heaven only" line, and I somewhere in the back.

Why?

As I said before, I'm much more flawed in my way of thinking.  I'm religious, so of course I'm judgmental, cold hearted or less compassionate, egotistical, selfish, and sometimes incredibly short sighted. Where he is not.  He is accountable to only himself.  And somehow, that makes him feel easier in his own skin and comfortable with the world.

I do not judge people based off their religious faith.  I judge people for their merit and character.  That is why I'm so hard on Christians, and people of "faith."  I'm constantly judging them period. Why? 90% of my fellow flock are really hateful people.  I prejudice against hateful people.   
        That is another one of my flaws.  Zach isn't prejudice against anything or anyone.

If something has impacted your life so profoundly in a negative manner, make them accountable.  Use your "god given" resources to fight crime and evil.  If it takes an Atheist lawyer to get that accomplish, well I say smart thinking and well done.wink

Use your resources.  No matter what, as I see it we are all God's children.  And........! There is a reason, all of us are stuck here together and that reason is to learn.

Learn and do something about the crimes committed against you. 

Church????  That's not God.  That's not Christ.  Christ over turned the money changer tables.  He hated evil and crimes.  Follow in his footsteps.  When you think about it, Christ slept and hung around a lot of Atheists himself.

1. profile image51

I believe your son is going to make a GREAT person later on in his life. My parents taught me to be that way. Love everyone, judge no one. I've lived in so many diverse environments that I never had the chance to become shortsighted and shallow. Open up your minds and your hearts to whatever new may come. I live by the values taught to me at church, but I only pray when I'm truly afraid and I avoid going to church. The only people that are fit to tell people how to live, are people that are no longer on this earth. I learn more about the way life should be lived from people who hate and oppose than I do from people who love and accept. The only thing better than knowing what to do, is knowing what NOT to do.

Thank you.  Thank you so very much. 

I do love my boy.  He is such a good kid.  He has really been through a lot in his lifetime.  Alot.  But man,  he is a good boy.  Kind, soft spoken, strong willed, smart.......  oh I could go on all day.  When I pray for him, I ask God to never let something corrupt his spirit.  He is who he is.

He is a very well rounded, healthy teenager.  It does not get any better than that you know.  Isn't that what most Christian, Jewish, Muslims, or what have you, mothers pray for? You know it is.smile

God bless, and thank you for your kind words.wink

1. profile image51

Exactly. So where this WHOLE post started, is it wrong for someone to raise their own child, the way that they believe will make the child the best person they can possibly be? So why condone her for having a different viewpoint... I'm against a lot of things that Christian extremists do... I actually blame most of the terrorist attacks on America on the fact that many Christians go over to these countries that have their own religion and tell them how evil they are and they're going to hell if they don't change. If you did that to me, and tore my country apart to change everyone to believe your own POV, then you better believe I'm going to retaliate me. Attack my beliefs, and I WILL attack back. Because I was taught by one of the greatest men alive, to stand by what you believe in. Whether I am dead wrong or not, what I do with my life is my own choice, and if it doesn't effect you, then don't criticize me for it or try to change me! If you want to tell me your opinion on how I'm wrong, and tell me how you think someone should live, act, and believe, then I will listen until you can't talk anymore. If i don't believe it, I'm not going to change or live by it whatsoever. That's what people need to understand. It's not wrong to have your own opinion. If you are a satanist, I will accept your way of life, and I won't even go home to pray for you that you will change your ways. I will pray that you live your life the way that you want to, and that you won't ever have to deal with shortsighted people who refuse to accept your own way of life. I had great parents, like you seem to be, and while they had a way of life they wanted me to follow, it was more important to them that I was a man and made my own choices, than it was that I lived exactly like them.

Your beliefs are garbage. Hate mongering, divisive religionism.

1. profile image51

I am, in no way whatsoever, expressing a religion, because, once again, I am NOT a follower of any religion. I live my life by my own standards and morals, and allow nobody to change that. Do i want everyone here to adopt my morals and ideas? No, I want them to accept that people are different. I have no religion based opinions or beliefs.

And rightly so!!!!!!

2. h.a.borcich profile image60
                  h.a.borcichposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh the irony smile "Your beliefs are garbage. Hate mongering," blah,blah,blah.... You need a mirror smile

I am the mirror.

Too hard to grasp? Probably........

2. IntimatEvolution profile image69

See hon..., attack my{as in I} beliefs, and I generally try to then lead by example.  I use to attack back, and for what???  I looked like a bumbling idiot, preaching hate, and spinning out of control.

Attack back?????? 

Are you trying to look like a bubbling, Christian idiot, hell bent on spreading brimstone and fire?

No.

But you are...........wink

Take a step back.  Look at the posts honestly.  Declare that you are finished with this line of thinking.  Tell us that your focus has gotten off course.  I'm sure someone will respond with a snide comment.  But ignore it.  Start another post calmly stating that, "I do have the right to raise my child as I see fit."  If someone then asks you, "By lying to them?"  Answer, "NO.  By helping them to see the way." 

Calmly, slowly and in God's image.smile

It matters not if people think your stupid for believing, or whatever.  What matters is that you are true to yourself.  That is all that matters.  And frankly my friend, Mark Knowles, Qwark, Beelzedad, Me and others are being very true to themselves.  So why aren't YOU?

Don't go, stay and argue, but try to argue your principles by conducting yourself in that manner.  Food for thought.

1. profile image51

That whole reply wasn't directed towards you, it was a general comment based on the replies I've been seeing in this thread.

That's if you believe you can earn your way to heaven. I don't think anyone can, nor can any of us bribe God. What it all boils down to is if we're friends with God or estranged. If your son doesn't want anything to do with God, he will not be forced to spend eternity with God.

But God doesn't exist. We all know you think you are going to live forever and anyone who does not believe the nonsense you believe is going to be obliterated, but if they believed the garbage you believe, they could go to the LOLOLO "party with Jesus." LOLOL

Sorry - that one was sooooo funny. lol

21. IntimatEvolution profile image69

hugs and kisses, nite all.  Julie

22. aguasilver profile image70
    aguasilverposted 13 years ago

If a parent does not teach a child what they have ascertained to be truth, they are not doing their job.

I taught my son about God, because I believe that God and Christ and the Holy Spirit are truth, but I also taught him about how other religions believed and encouraged him to make his own mind up.

He went into the world when he was 16 years old and spent three years living as he wished, and I've seen the photos folk took of him stoned and drunk and bedraggled as he tested his boundaries.

He came to faith on his own aged 19 years of age, I had no part in his coming to faith at that time.

Now he works in NY at Metro Ministries serving disadvantaged kids in the Bronx.

There was no way that I could teach him other than to make his own mind up, God has no grandchildren, nobody is born a believer, we all make our own choice.

I'm glad he came to faith, but I'd love him however he had chosen to live.

1. profile image51

This, is one of the best posts. I have unlimited respect for you for allowing your son to do that. Teaching them other religions and giving them the reins. As a parent, most would probably find that irresponsible, but in the end, the values you taught your kid held true. In the way of what people saying, you did exactly what any parent should do, you taught them what you knew, but allowed your child to make their own choices. When I'm a parent, I WILL put the foot down on things like smoking, but other than that, the only thing I will ever require, is that my kids make forward progress in their lives.

You are quite mistaken about that, the parents never did ascertain anything to be the truth, they were taught as children to believe it, just as their parents were taught and their parents before them. No one actually thought about anything, they were just told to believe it. smile

1. profile image0
        SirDentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was never taught to believe in Jesus, but yet I do. I haven't always believed. I was 36 years old when I came to know the Lord.

This makes your opinion above untrue.

No, it doesn't. Like most other things, there are exceptions to the rules. The vast majority of believers follow that model.

Of course, when drilled down further, it is usually found that people such as yourself did in fact grow up in a religious environment and returned to their faith later in life.

smile

1. profile image0

OK, religion was around me growing up yes. There were also acoholics around, drug addiucts, murderers, theives, fornicators, adulterers, witches, wiccans and probably some atheists.

Hi SirDent, when children interact with each other, the subject of god does come up as do the subjects of those other areas you refer. Many of those topics though are quite unfamiliar to most kids, but the subject of religion has been around them their whole lives and talked about on a regular basis, going to Sunday school and church on a regular basis reinforces and adds to that knowledge, while those other topics usually are not discussed anywhere near as often.

Kids will usually repeat what they hear.  smile

1. profile image0

Not always.

2. aguasilver profile image70
        aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What absolute nonsense, I was taught that all 'foreigners' were scum and that we would need to fight them from the rooftops, my father was a racist and a bigot, but then he had fought a war to 'save humanity' and then arrived back in England to see it ruined (in his eyes) by mass immigration.

I thought out my own truths, and for 41 years was a secular humanist who had no truck with God, but then experienced the power of the Holy Spirit and came to faith in Christ.

My father thought me to be extreme and we were uncomfortable around each other.

You are grossly in error.

My son was taught to think, to evaluate and to make decisions based upon what he believed to be true.

I have spent my life trying to make people think, indeed I published a hub today about that fact.

You need to rid yourself of this hatred of God and His believers, you do no good to your cause prattling on like this.

1. qwark profile image59

What is this god thing you mention?
          "You need to rid yourself of this hatred of God..."
          If you can logically and factually define "it" for me, you will have a convert.
          Now, If you have studied your "bible" (if thats the foundation of your belief in this god thing) , pls provide scripture that defines this god thing in any other than opinion.
          Can ya do that for me? TY

1. Jerami profile image58
            Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To answer your question ...That God thang is that thang that is at the top of the Totum Pole of intelegence that you and I are near the bottom of.

I don't know what he/it looks like or why he/it does the things that he/it does.   Remember ? we ain't as smart as we want to be?   

I know that I am a very small part of something else.
            That something else apeared to a man named Abraham long ago. 
            People not much smarter than we are have been writting about this event and many others over the centuries...  too bad that those people that wrote about these events were not much smarter than we are or else they would have been able to explain it good enough for us to understand it better.
            Maybe we will when we get a little bit smarter??

Even before anyone was smart enough to know what our atmosphere was make out of...  Everyone knew that it was there.

It really is this simple,  I think ?

That is opinion, not fact. This is neither a logical or factual definition!

With what part do you not agree ?

I disagree with your definition of the god thing that Qwark inquired about below.  You must understand, this is merely your take on reality, no matter how profound it sounds to you.
                  I don't believe God appeared to Abraham, or that the Abraham of the bible is even real.  And...are you saying some backward superstitious Bronze Age goat herder is smarter than you and me?  Frightening!

qwark wrote:
                  What is this god thing you mention?
                  "You need to rid yourself of this hatred of God..."
                  If you can logically and factually define "it" for me, you will have a convert.
                  Now, If you have studied your "bible" (if thats the foundation of your belief in this god thing) , pls provide scripture that defines this god thing in any other than opinion.
                  Can ya do that for me? TY

2. profile image0
                Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yet you responded to it emphatically.
                Seems sensitive more than rational from your mention as well.
                How Ism of you. big_smile

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss291/chronoshop/questionmark.jpg

2. qwark profile image59

Jer:
              For goodness sakes!
              I said
              No opinions pls...or was that not understood when I wrote: " pls provide scripture that defines this god thing in any other than opinion."
              Ya don't seem to be able to do it?...so, I have to consider that, as I've offered before, you are not a credible hubber ref this god thing...ok?
              'course I figured that out long ago......:-)

To give you biblical proof would be a waste of time since you discredit the bible as a sourse.

1. qwark profile image59

Jer:
                  No insult intended, but it seems you have a problem reading With understanding I.e. "To give you biblical proof..." I didn't ask for "proof/s? Where in the world did you get this idea?
                  Pls re-read my comment.
                  I could only accept proofs if you can factually define this god thing which your bible does not do.

"Factually define" this good thing for me and I will then discuss with you the "proofs" which are necessary to make me a "believer."
                  RE-read and try again....ty

I have been giving your comment some thought.
                      If there is an answer that you are seaking? it will not be one of philosophical origon.  It will be of the most basic form.
                      We tend to out think ourselves in many areas, overlooking the obvious. But all too often when we find what we are looking for, we do not recognize it.

I'll keep thinking  or maybe I should quit it and see what naturally comes to mind?
                      Quite often at work, that is how it works the best.

Hi Aguasiliver, I have read many of your posts and have to admit that I can't believe a word you say. Sorry. smile

23. aware profile image67
    awareposted 13 years ago

dont teach god to anyone  gods bigger than that . esp sons . sons will build a bigger god than any father can . so let them

24. perfumer profile image65
    perfumerposted 13 years ago

Zen will teach him about GOD and also about non GOD...

25. profile image0
    SirDentposted 13 years ago

Pro 22:6  Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

26. Jerami profile image58

It is a parents JOB to teach their children all that they can, of those things that they believe to be true.
       This will be the foundation that THEY build their lives upon.
       From this foundation  THEY  choose what beliefs to hold onto and pass down to their children.
        This is called free will.

There is no free will in believing whatever someone tells you to believe, parents or not. smile

You say that and yet you are trying to tell me what to believe and what not to believe.
           You are trying to do to us exactly what you are saying to not let anyone do???

there is a word for this.

1. profile image0

Is the word hypocrite?

That is entirely not true, Jerami. Please don't lie. Thanks.  smile

If there is anything that I have learned in life, it is that those things that bother me the most, upon close scrutney,     I also am quilty of.

The easiest thing for us to do in life, is to become worse than the thing that we hate the most.
               We are our greatest advisary.

Jerami, I would like to make something crystal clear, no offense is intended.

I don't expect, ask, demand or beg anyone to believe as I do. I can only offer what I understand and what I observe of the world around me.

So, please don't suggest I have ever done such a thing to you or anyone else. Many thanks for your attention in this matter.

Sincerely,

smile

2. IntimatEvolution profile image69

Jerami very well written, I completely agree.

27. getitrite profile image72

"Today, after church, my 5-year-old son asked me about God, so I answered his questions in full. We talked about God for over 2 hours. At the end of it all, he pondered for a moment, before saying to me “That’s the stupidest thing I ever heard. You’re dumb.” 

FMyLife

Been there......! LOL;)

2. aguasilver profile image70
      aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...and I'm sure you gave him objective and honest information about God, after all, you would hate to fall under the authority of Luke 17:2 - that would be a shame!

28. getitrite profile image72

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg197/thisiswelch/imaginary-friend.jpg

29. TLMinut profile image58

My grandkids go to church sometimes with their other grandmother (Mormon); I walked into the next room from the kids and heard my granddaughter (6) teaching my grandson (4) about God. She told him, "You have to be good, really really good, then you can be with God and Jesus forever." (Something like that, I don't remember too much because the last part she said cracked me up and drove the rest right out of my head!)

She said: The Holy Ghost...well, the holy ghost is...I don't really know, I think he's God's pet.

30. profile image59
    pinki900posted 13 years ago

I go to church every Thursday and Sunday.  Keep teaching tell him about Jesus dying on the cross for us.

31. profile image59
    pinki900posted 13 years ago

Velveeta cheese

32. pylos26 profile image71
    pylos26posted 13 years ago

Winter 11 wrote: "Teaching my youngest son about jesus".

Thats ok winter...but please try to spare the rest of the brood.

33. Jerami profile image58

I disagree with your definition of the god thing that Qwark inquired about below.  You must understand, this is merely your take on reality, no matter how profound it sounds to you.
    , or that the Abraham of the bible is even real.  And...are you saying some backward superstitious Bronze Age goat herder is smarter than you and me?  Frightening!

===================================
    Jerami says ..  It seems that everything that you disagree with is "only someones opinion". Too many people are doing that these days.

Individually we are no more advanced than people were back then. We have a broader storehouse of knowledge, yes.
      How long do you think that it would take a goat herder to learn to drive a car, function on an assembly line, or turn on a TV set?

Given the same resourses; The smarter people from back then might be able to show our smarter people a thing or two?

And to say that Abraham did not exist is only your opinion.
      How much proof is required to separate Opinion and Fact?
      And Who gets to decide what is and what is not proof?

That's not true!  I have opinions as well, but if someone can reasonably counter my opinion, then I will adjust accordingly.  You have not done that.  You have only a manufactured story of reality, that is only appeasing to you and anyone else of a limited mindset.  It is impossible for you to understand that your take on reality is distorted childish nonsense.  It's not that I merely disagree with your opinion. No!  The fact is that your opinions are abject folly and based upon pure nonsense.  With all due respect, your God does not exist, because its definition defies logic. Therefore, it only exists in your head. And that is not merely my opinion.

I guess you are right Bronze Age goat herders could adjust to living in the present day world.  This video proves that.  Very observant of you!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD0aXoxxtCI

1. qwark profile image59

STANDING OVATION! CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP.....

Of course, some people perceive this as only MY opinion!
          Some people think common sense is only an opinion. http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e105/CommentCrazyGirl/Smileys%20Emotions/Innocent%20Evil/smiley_dilemma.gif

... a sence of things commonly held to be true.
            There doesn't seem to be enough  common agreement to establish what common sence is.
                the outcome of simple deduction depends upon what things are being studied and from what prospective.

It seems to be common sence that  God  and Religion are not the same things.

2. ceciliabeltran profile image63
            ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

well what is common sense in america. Guest in Jay Leno show: "60% believe that Christianity did not come from Judaism.  the fact that its called OLD testament and NEW testament doesn't clue them in which one is OLDER." (or something like that, its a loose quote)

Ok.  To stick strictly to semantics, I guess "common sense" does not exactly fit the definition of what I was trying to convey.  Nevertheless,  You and I know what I mean.  The fact that many people are not smart, means that "common sense" cannot be substituted for sense or reason, I guess.  That said, still the belief in nonsensical irrational improbable concepts is an affront to reality.

34. winter11 profile image58
    winter11posted 13 years ago

Hello everyone!
    I didnt realize I was going to cause such a debate, but so I can give more insite to myself I wanted to respond.  I was baptised as a christian, so have my boys so it would only make sense for me to raise my boys that way.  Though my husband has been baptised a christian but he definatley questions the religion and he actually doesnt go to church he is in the mist of finding where he stands with everything.  I still love him, he doesnt have the strong faith I have, but i always say to each their own.  I am very open minded and i strongly believe in God but I take alittle bit from each religion that I feel suites me.  I believe in the healing power of stones and the connection of the universe to the body.  I have always told my older son about God but i assume someday he will question his beliefs and I am all about letting him decide whats right for him in his life, but as of now I want to teach my younger son about the qualities of sharing and being a decent human beiing not to believe word for word of the bible, but the childrens bible is how I am teaching him these traits by the stories in it because we are christians.

1. qwark profile image59

Winter:
      I do not mean this to be insulting.
      It is but my candid, blunt, honest view of you from what you offer in writing in the forum.
      Your quote: "I am very open minded...."
      Do you teach your son that this god thing is "real?"
      If your answer is yes, what do you base your belief upon?...a feeling? emotion? a hunch, a guess, hope?  ..what?
      "Openmindedness" would mean, to me, that you have studied the possiblity of this god thing from every point of view, history, anthropology, geology, cosmology, physics, chemisty, metaphysics, the history of religious beliefs and evolution, evolution itself, on and on and on!
      If you haven't done this and you contaminate your son's mind with fiction and myth as being truth...you are ABSOLUTELY not an open minded person....period!
      You are but a misinformed, ignorant, primitive thinking follower of religious claptrap.

I've been trying to see the sense in that but it fails me. Where is the sense in that? 

That's probably the worst thing you could teach a child. smile

1. profile image0

The worst thing you can teach a child is that he evolved from a sludge pond or from monkeys.

I do believe some atheists may truly believe they evolved from apes because they act like them tongue

Dear me.You actually cannot understand science and would abuse your children by teaching them the bible hate instead of real facts? Attack any one who does not agree though. What a weak, pathetic god you act for.

I believe I evolved from apes, because I did - and so did you.
          But - seriously Dent - what makes you think you are acting better than anyone here?

1. profile image0

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

No really. You seem to think that you are behaving somehow better that us atheists who think we evolved from apes - which we did. Of course.

So - what makes you think you are better exactly?

1. profile image0

Nowhere in the forums have I said or even implied that I am better than anyone else. Anytime Jesus or God is mentioned atheists take the high ground and make remarks like calling us self righteous and condescending.

How hard is it to understand that I say it is God who is the ultimate authority and not me.

lol lol lol lol

1. ceciliabeltran profile image63

It's not hard! I can say it. It is Gd who is the ultimate authority and not me! He is an excellent designer of evolution! smile

You can validate your feelings that there is a higher power out there and in you that cares for you while being open to advances in science.

The entire planet is teeming with evidence to suggest we did evolve from a "sludge pond" and from primates, and nothing but a single book written in the Bronze Age by ignorant shepherds as the only source of discrepancy.

It's a no brainer. smile

Do apes believe in gods? wink

3. ceciliabeltran profile image63

its not the worst thing you can do to a child! they won't get evolution that's for sure, many adults don't get it. Its just so bio-logical and not mytho-logical. This are two different branches of thought

Myth can easily be absorbed by a child so it's good to tell them stories of the Seven Days of Creation and the Ark, but it should be clear that they are stories and not HIStories.

Then when they're 8 and bored with those stories,  how monkeys are like us in many ways and that they have feelings too and how like us, they wouldn't eat food that will cause their friend to get hurt (don't say electrocuted) that they are supposed to share food they find otherwise, the others monkeys will drive them away. at 16 give them a book about evolution and then history, then poetry. they'll connect the dots on their own, what myth is trying to say. How it can both be true at different levels of understanding.

1. profile image0

It's very easy even for a child to "get" that some people are silly enough to insist on saying humans came from apes!
            I wonder if Americans who think like you and Mark do...pencil in a little box and the words "Ape American" on their Census forms.....

Americans believe in Evolution, I just came from the Smithsonian and got a couple of books. But I also believe in the things contained in the bible, they're metaphors for what went on. I mean, I'm not an atheist, Brenda. I had my daughter baptized and all that. I teach her to say Thanks at night before bed. These things are important..But I'm not in denial of the facts. Evolution is taking place as we know it. Even right now your brain is evolving, your genes are mutating. The food you eat, that will affect the wiring of your future child. It's a factual thing, not a belief.
              There is nothing wrong with having a belief, but there is also nothing wrong with being curious about science and making conclusions.

Your faith is your belief system. That has nothing to do with raw data. You can ignore data and say you're not interested because you're going on faith. But to say that something is not true because it does not fit a mold is not an argument, its denial.

1. profile image0

To whom do you teach her to say thanks?

And do you really believe humans descended from apes, as Mark does?
                (He may have. wink His behavior is very animal-like!  LOL).

I just cannot fathom why anyone would EVER believe we literally came from apes!

Plus,  I don't see anyone's brains evolving!   Matter of fact, our whole physical system deteriorates as we age.   And each human child goes through the same process;  not some "evolution"!

To G-d. You can evolve from apes and be created. Descended, is not the right word. It is Ascended from apes. Apes are very gentile creatures capable of human-like attachments and love.

Did you know that they took a picture of the dendrites inside they human brain and it looks like the night sky? Image and Likeness.

Did you know that the human fetus evolves in the order as the events in Genesis? Because the genetic code remembers how to make things and does so in that order.

read up on it and you'll see that it can go hand and hand and not contradict each other.

2. profile image0

So, you use the word "ascended" to try to illustrate evolution,  when in fact it would be "descended" if it really took place...

And don't you mean "gentle" instead of "gentile"!  LOL

And who is "G-d"?

I only know God.

And what order in Genesis?

35. Jerami profile image58

When the Messiah came to the Hebrew Nation he was killed.
    This was described in the story that Jesus spoke of in Mark 12:1-9. The owner of the vinyard sent his son to the husbandmen. And they killed him.
      And then God fulfilled the covenant that was made with Abraham.
      And then that Hebrew Nation ceased to exist.

We have been living in the times of the Gentiles ever since. 
    When Jesus walked the earth he denounced the Religion that was in place in Jerusalem (Judaism). 
      Jesus often said that "when you see me you have seen the father ... You sons of Satan"  Seems to me that Jesus was seeing their father when he was looking at them; those sons of Satan. 
       A prophesy was given to John in 94 AD that two other religions were to rise up and cover the earth(Rev. 13).
       When the sixth bowl is sounded  these three
    (Judiasm. Christianity and Islam) go out to gather the kings of the earth together for battle.
      No matter how much prophesy has been misinterpreted...
    It seems like there is no stoping it from being fulfilled.

And we can argue about what is right and wrong till the cows come home.
        And we can believe anything that we want to; and that changes NOTHING.

I think that everyone better pray that God intervens at the last minute as he said that he would.

36. aware profile image67
    awareposted 13 years ago

dont teach kids about your god let them show you the way

37. ceciliabeltran profile image63
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

"Plus,  I don't see anyone's brains evolving!   Matter of fact, our whole physical system deteriorates as we age.   And each human child goes through the same process;  not some "evolution"!"

I see you are not aware of neuro-plasticity.

recommended readings are Spark by Ratey and The Brain That Changes Itself. smile

It actually evolve during your lifetime depending on your choices. So, if you are always choosing to be sad, your happy receptors will shrink. Your kid will then inherit this trait. and so on and so forth.

1. profile image0

Doesn't that mean Mark's descendants will hate all Christians even more than he does, and doesn't it mean that Obama's kids and grandkids will be even more foolish than he is?
      ...That is...if his children even have children instead of aborting them all....

Well that has nothing to do with evolution.

I am pro-life.

you know read up on evolution and nuero-plasticity if you're interested. I mean I'm not convincing you to let go of your faith just to accept that you can pray and be open to science at the same time. I pray.

Brenda - I don't hate you. Pity yes, hatred no. I do hate your ridiculous beliefs though.

Oh sorry - was that you showing me love?

Ape. Do you like bananas by any chance? They are not a sin you know - like divorce. wink

1. profile image0

I love bananas!

Are you willing to share some of those,  or do I have to pay you founders' fees or something, seein' as how your ancestors roamed all the banana tree fields??

Of course you do. No - you are free to eat them like all the other apes. wink

2. profile image0

Wait wait wait!
          My de-evolutionized brain missed a little gem-of-a-nugget-of-info right thar!

You mean------you don't hate ME, but you hate/and/or/pity what I say and do?????

Very similar, if not exactly like, the "love the sinner but hate the sin" attitude that Christians take!

Can you see that?

Don't mind Mark, he talks angry but that's not at you. That's religion in general. You are just a temporary punching bag.

you can automate a button that says : Mark's response

"Jesus!"  Mark's response !#%#$^%$^*
            "god is great" Mark's response %^#(^@*(_@$&_

It's not you, trust me. He doesn't hate you.

Yes.

Allow me to introduce you to "irony." lol

38. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

All I know is that my "happy receptors" are in high form today!  haha

I guess I'll have to try to maintain that ALL the time so that my great-great-great-grandkids will someday be deliriously giggly all the time!

Your theory is, by common sense, shot all to hades!

Neuroplasticity is not a theory. It really is plastic and yes be happy! Choose to be happy! because your happiness will increase. It's scientifically proven down to the chemical level.

If your faith makes you happy, then pursue it, but be open to the truth. If you're in doubt, investigate until you get your answers. you'll see you'll be happier and less judgmental

39. sagbee profile image58
    sagbeeposted 13 years ago

BElieving in god is one's own choice.. If you are teaching about god then there is no problem at all.. but do not force your children to follow any rules about anyone.. its completely their own choice to believe or not to believe..

1. qwark profile image59

..but Sagbee, what is this "god" thing you say is "ones own choice" to believe in?
      I spent 2 1/2 years in christian seminary and I could never realize it in any form but "guess."
      I searched the bible and the torah for a definition of it that would relieve my curiosity....I finally realized that it doesn't exist.
      This biblical god thing has to be created in ones imagination and that is what one must believe in and allow to guide ones life!
      To me? That's insanity!

40. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Why would one offer their children a choice between reality and a bronze aged myth copied from other earlier myths about the sky fairy who will answer all their prayers and protect them all their lives?

Self explanatory.

1. qwark profile image59

Earn:
      It is not"self explanatory" to a fanatic fundamentalist.
      These forum hubbers who "believe" are all "fundies."
      There are a few in here who are so "radical" in their responses that I have to ignore them.
      I wouldn't give credence to their level of ignorance with a reply.
      The insidiousness of it is self explanatory only to we who have been there done that and have escaped...intact!    :-)

OK, I have to admit, it is not self explanatory to the fundies at any level.

I cannot deny that having been a religionist helped me to see the hypocrisy, megalomania and self importance by referred power that props these fundies up.

Studying the bible thoroughly from cover to cover was enlightening. The more I learnt the less I believed! lol

1. qwark profile image59

Jesus Earn, did you go to the same seminary I did?  lolol

Not the same seminary, but still 2 years out of my bloody life! Still, I got past the neurosis and now live a normal happy life. smile

1. qwark profile image59

THANK GOD!..(JOKE!)   LOLOL

2. Davidsonofjesie profile image61
      Davidsonofjesieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hi earn,what about the myths of evolution???

1. qwark profile image59

answer this one for me Earn...

Well you see a myth is what it is... mythical. It does not need to be refuted even as it is not real in any sense other than a fear based response in the case of religious myths.

The theories and postulations put forward for the "evolution myth" are not myths at all.

They are not all right, they are fallible and refutable as they must be to meet the muster of scientific method.
          As well as the application of the said method, much scientific evidence for evolution cuts across the other sciences like medicine, which is now a huge science.
          If any of the postulations won't fit all of the other scientific models they are abandoned.

Now apply the same rigour to religious belief and you have no case at all.

No proof, no evidence, it can't be subjected to scientific method or peer based scrutiny, is not refutable, in other words it is myth. I hope that helps. smile

Could you please go through this book and point out the myths? Thanks.  smile

http://www.literature.org/authors/darwi … f-species/

1. qwark profile image59

Thanks Beelz!

3. Beelzedad profile image59

Hello David!! Are you still trying to find those myths in evolution or did you give up?  wink

re: http://www.literature.org/authors/darwi … f-species/

this deals with species that are already in existence.. what we need to know is how did these species get here? From what i read we kinda jumped in on the middle of evolution to tackle a discussion about the beginning of evolution.

The whole things a myth unless we can find the beginning and explain that.

The beginning of what? Please clarify and then point out the myth. smile

if you look at what they are talking about they are talking about species that already exist. The point is not what exists but how they got to exist. what brought the first one along. It is speculated that somehow it crawled out of a primordial ooze but what caused that?
              The link deals with species that already exist but fails to explain how they came to exist.

Perhaps, you're referring to abiogenesis and not evolution.

Of course, evolution has nothing to do with that concept, therefore it need not explain it. smile

41. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

Winter, do not let all this negativity influence what you are doing. You are doing a great service to your child. He will thank you for it one day.  He will have more compassion for others and will be a better person for it.  Please continue in your teachings and watch him blossom into a wonderful restpectful,compassionate, man full of love and understanding.

God bless you.

No - he stands a very good chance of hating you for it. Do not listen to these religionists who are incapable of becoming wonderful respectful compassionate people because they think a god is telling them that people who do not share their nonsensical ethical system (which they do not follow) are evil, sinful deviants destined tio burn in hell.

Instead - teach him about reality and encourage him to develop a system of morals and ethics that actually he wants to follow because it is the right thing to do - not because he will be burned in hell forever if he does not.

Do not limit his thinking to this small minded religious clap trap. Child abuse is what that is. sad

judging judging judging.... how do you know the future.. "he stands a good chance of hating you for it".  Obviously you think christians are miserable lol you couldn't be farther from the truth.
        The people who do not share their beliefs are sure mouthy about it lol antagonistic lol opinionated lol rude lol insulting lol
        How about ALSO teaching them about reality and encourage the child to live in a society etc.. what makes you think these things are gone out the window.
        You do not even know if she is teaching hell.

This is not child abuse half as much as your post is abusive to this adult.
        If you cannot imagine the joy and happiness that christianity brings with its knowledge of a loving, supportive, kind, compassionate god then please fail to bring your negativity as the only truth there is. I found your post to be pompous and rude.

42. profile image0
    askpowersposted 13 years ago

Exactly winter you are really doing great job. I would like to ask all people discussing and discouraging winter that were they literate or training when they got birth... or they got all the knowledge during the pregnancy period... ? NO...
    It was your parents training to you. They trained you. It is true that a Christian's kid will raise as chirstian, a muslim's kid will raise as muslim as so on .. but the fact is that when kids grow and get the senses of understanding environment, scientific researches and facts then they have choice to chose which one is best.
    A child should be taught and trained. Every person has his own deeds, but when you'll teach your kid he will definitely avoid the wrong doing which the environment wants him to do.
    Do all people want that their kids raise as robber, thief or killer.. No, so they train their kids and make them aware of all wrong doings. So winter do your job and its really best. You have chance to research and practice your religion. Its great... keep it up

43. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Hi Winter, I think it's wonderful what you're doing.  When I was growing up I also was taught the messages of Jesus Christ but by my grandmother and I remember and cherish those times.  I still remember the gentle way that she tried to explain the parables.

These moments now will stand your son in good stead for the future.

exactly!

44. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Teaching my youngest son about God

There should not be any difficulty about teaching your son about the Creator- God Allah YHWH. It should be as easy as telling your son about Sun and Moon and the stars.

I did not feel any difficulty when my children were small. It is the most easy thing to tell; and children learn very fast. Don't they?

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

45. Jerami profile image58

What does a blind Theist and a blind Atheist have in common?

One believes his faith will some day cure him of his blindness while the other believes his blindness will cure him of his faith. smile

The answer is more simple than that.

They are BOTH  blind.

I think that an open minded Theist knows that their "PERSEPTION" of God could be incomplete and/or wrong.

An open minded Atheist knows that people do have diffrent definitions of what their God is made of, and how he works.

It is only when legalism comes into play that definitions become skewed.  We tend to forget about the shortcomings of the written word ( on any subject)

Sorry, but theists do not admit to that, they believe absolutely in one answer, which is the epitome of a closed mind.

An atheist entertains all possibilities and alternatives, but also uses their brain to think about them as opposed to just accepting them. smile

I see that you have only two colors in your crayola box.

How boring.

Feel free to offer anything more than your belief in god and the answers that come with it, Jerami.

smile

2. Druid Dude profile image61

Many atheists seem to think thank mankind has acheived all the absolute answers. I have read their words claiming this or that to be a fact, when in truth, it is still a theory. There are more things in heaven and earth....

None of that is true. Is there some reason you felt the need to fabricate this?

3. Druid Dude profile image61

Actually, agnostics have open minds, atheists are blind to anything beyond the tip of their noses.

1. Druid Dude profile image61

As to parenting. There's no garantees with religion. Your kid could be an evangelist, an atheist, a president or an assassin. Could be the next Ghandhi, or the next Manson. No garantees.

46. bojanglesk8 profile image61
    bojanglesk8posted 13 years ago

Do it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)