Dating at 32.

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (53 posts)
  1. graceth0mas profile image58
    graceth0masposted 14 years ago

My 11-old daughter is actually convincing me to go out on dates. However, after having kissed dating good bye (since I am such a jerk-magnet), I would always shrug the idea off. Any thoughts on that?

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

well, it sounds like nifty idea.  however, not all guys are jerks.  maybe your just not looking in the right places.  sure, if you go out to a club, you'll meet mostly jerks there.  plus, in the ones I've been to, the music is so loud, it's hard to get to know anyone in those places.  you could always join a gym, a book club, or get involved in some community activities as you might meet someone there.  or if you have any friends, maybe you can hang out with them and you guys might end up meeting a few guys along the way.  or you could try a dating service.  however, just be sure to watch out for scams on those okay, as it's very easy to be duped by those.  anyway, i hope that helps.

graceth0masposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Stevennix2001. I tried some of those venues before, but its really not working for me. I might give it another try - who knows?

1. profile image0

your welcome.  well i hope you meet a nice guy out  there for ya, and try not to let a few bad eggs ruin your experience for you.   as that's what makes love so grand, as it takes a lot of bad relationships to find the right person in life.

2. profile image0
      china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I learned very late in life that if you open your mind to the possibility of something it normally finds you as long as you try something, anything really, - or even don't do anything it will just come to you.

3. profile image0
      Kenrick Chatmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you are in decent shape... gym group classes are great to attend to network with single women in their 20's, 30's, and 40's... Most of the women are not single but have single attractive friends. Likewise, you can network with them as well for referrals.

Most of the participants are women but the classes are really good for exercise purposes as well. Most guys are ashamed to attend but it is great for me since I have less competition and do not have any shame in my game.

Salsa classes and events are also great as well especially if you know how to "salsa."

1. profile image0

I would say stop worrying and just do it - anywhere and anything that puts us where others can find us will expose us so that others can cover us back up - Anyone want any tips on successful dating at 60 ?

4. marcel285 profile image64
      marcel285posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Go for gold.

5. goldenpath profile image68
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I, personally, would recommend the exercise of cordial, modest and virtuous relationships.  Especially at this time, your child needs to see the fruits of wholesome relationships.  Seeing this will help put her on a road to future happiness and fulfillment.  The same would also happen to you.  Consider it a "human" journey that the both of you can share. smile As far as the who, you are precious and you deserve, and should settle for, nothing less than the best.  Strive to search for the best quality for you.  You are young by time is probably not on your side, and you have a child.  A good and man of integrity would fully accept these things, and choose to support and serve them as more precious than gold or the treasures of the Earth.

6. realtalk247 profile image76
      realtalk247posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like your daughter wants you to have a full life and that's great that she's being supportive. Sounds like you need to pull a Kastanza (remember the show Seinfield) - that's when you do the opposite of your natural instincts.  This should bring you some luck. Also sit down and journal past failed relationships and see if there are a string of things that these people had in common so you can avoid that in the future. Life is short, don't play it safe all the time.  Get off the merry go round and get on the roller coaster every now and then. It keeps you refreshed and alive.

7. profile image54
      klbff@gmail.composted 13 years agoin reply to this

yeah i have a commet that if you really like this guy then why don't you go out with him

graceth0masposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey..  I don't like any guy yet. That's another thing. I guess there will be no more guys ever..

2. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

You know - sometimes we have good days - sometimes we have bad - relationships are exactly the same - we have all had the jerks - they come in both male and female form - but you have to keep trying until you get it right - dont lock yourself in the closet over some jerk - no no no - get out and get going - you dont have to get into the whole clubing thing to get out - go to the gym - or some other place in which you have an interest - you will normally find like minded people in the places you enjoy - if you meet people through drunkeness then thats how the relationship will be - if you meet someone when you and they are sober and you are both doing something you enjoy - there is more chance of success - dont allow yourself to be used - let him wine and dine you - cinema - whatever - sex should be way down the list even if you would like to get close stay back for a while - nothing will damage a relationship more than an easy lay - if thats all you want have it - but if you want a real and lasting relationship do everything else first smile

1. profile image0

wow, that's actually some great advice.

2. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You go Irish woo hoo.

3. Hokey profile image59
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Irish I like you more and more all the time. I go to my yoga classes and meditation groups and that is where I meet like minded people. Great advice brother.   smile

4. graceth0mas profile image58

Those are great points. Thank you!

3. theirishobserver. profile image60

Stevennix2001 - I just read you advice - very similar - great - we must have both travelled that long hard road that is covered in the broken hearts of many people smile

1. profile image0

probably.  however, it's never good to live in the past, as you can only worry about the future and the present.

4. profile image0
    StormRyderposted 14 years ago

Dating can be scary...especially if you have been off the market for a while. Really not all guys are jerks...a lot of them are but not all. Bars are out unless you just want sex....which sometimes is ok lol
    I have been told grocery stores can be good places to meet guys if you are willing to make the first move. Church?? Friends of friends...I found a pretty good guy that way once! Don't be the magent...you choose and go after him you might end up with what you want, instead of settling for those who come to you first...be proactive. Sounds scary huh?? It's not easy to be the one to make the first move, but it might be better than waiting also??

StormRyder - thanks for those suggestions.. Hmmm.. Did I mention that I met my husband when I was still active with the youth church organization when I was way younger? SO, I guess churches are out. Now, I go there with my kids really to pray.

2. TREX80 profile image60
      TREX80posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great advice. If you are more proactive you will come across strong and inependent. A jerk would run, easy prey is what thy are after (lonely and unconfident) but a good guy would be interested!

3. Mamelody profile image61
      Mamelodyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

er hum.. and this is coming from someone who can't tell the difference btwn two Mike's? big_smile big_smile lol lol lol

5. theirishobserver. profile image60

Stormy - good advice - women in bars is a big no no for me unless I just want a good old fashioned ...... anyway, I think you meet a better class of person in the gym or at other venues where every one is sober - Church - I dont know - tends to attrack weirdos and preditors - no very careful about the Church - the man or women in the nice clothes are there for a reason....approach with caution.....better the gym, somewhere where people are themselves....open...not hiding behind a bible or prayer book if you know what I mean.... smile

1. profile image0
      StormRyderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Could be?? I just threw church out there because I don't know if she does or doesn't attends church...I don't go to church so I have no idea what kinds of odd people may be lurking in the pews lol

2. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

aww...you would most likely meet ME at a bar. I dont do the gym or church...  smile

I hoenstly think its best to not force meeting someone. Go out and enjoy activites that intereest you..your bound to evetnually meet people, and even if you dont end up dating, its good to meet new friends.

3. TREX80 profile image60

I dont think church is a good place to meet people either. Its awkward. Praising Jesus one second and "Damn he has got a nice butt" the next! And everyone knows everyones business, it may be a place of non-judgement... but Monday through Saturday... people are judging.

6. theirishobserver. profile image60

agreed smile

7. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

There really are a lot of great men out there, just too many bad stories take over.  Find your prince.

1. blondepoet profile image67

But don't go kissing frogs to find him smile

1. profile image0

that cuts me out then !!!

Rubert Rubert...
          China you aint no frog you are a stallion.

2. graceth0mas profile image58

Hey Kim. Thanks! I am in no hurry at all. My daughter just want me to give it another shot at it. I am so loving my "singleness". Of course there are times I start to think about growing old alone..

8. theirishobserver. profile image60

be at one with your prince smile

9. profile image0
    moonphlowerposted 14 years ago

Dating is hard at any age.  You will come across jerks in all forms and fashion, you have to keep an open mind.  Don't settle just because you want the companionship.  If the guy turns out to be a jerk, move on.  Chalk it up as a lesson learned and scratch his name off your little black book.  Most importantly, have fun...we often forget that.

Well, I am in no hurry to change my status to "in a relationship". I might go out on dates but I probably would do it just for the heck of it. Thanks. I appreciate you suggestion.

10. Fluffymetal profile image76
    Fluffymetalposted 14 years ago

I'm 32 and looking for someone to date.  Not looking, just hoping love finds me.  It's a difficult age, but you're much wiser.

11. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I'm not too sure about finding love at the gym, the ones I have been to tend to be full of posers.  Personally I think searching for love is doomed to fail, because you are more likely to overlook flaws. 

Let it come to you and things are mch more likely to work out big_smile

1. TREX80 profile image60

That is very true.

12. theirishobserver. profile image60

Hokey - our minds are as one smile

13. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

My very best dating years were in my early to mid 30s.

It wasn't until then that I discovered where everything was and stopped stepping on things.

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Most people don't get a brain until their 30

1. TREX80 profile image60

By this you mean men right? Because both heads are pretty empty, except the one that needs a few minutes to think about the idea...

14. Black Lilly profile image61
    Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

I think that 30s is nearly the best age for dating. You're not that foolish anymore, you think about yourself, you try not to sacrifice anything of importance to yourself. That happens a lot in teen years or early twenties, and you think it's normal..

With regards to places... well, I haven't been to any church for about a decade, gym - you go there for different reasons, work - might be, but very unlikely if you enjoy what you do, bars/clubs/pubs - quite good for one night stands, but not really something more. Internet - just a jungle there, can be quite tricky. Book club/cooking clubs/libraries - do you really go to these things? Never been there and I don't think will ever go... what else... oh, just passers by on the street - always a surprise.. introductions by friends/colleagues - failure guaranteed.

Ok, I got bored with dating and gave up on that. Just a waste of time - the one who's meant for you will find you anyway, so why bother? wink

15. Fluffymetal profile image76
    Fluffymetalposted 14 years ago

Whats so bad is a woman is in her prime in her 30's.  We want sex, sex, sex, but not one night stands (maybe a few).  Where is my knight in shining armor?

I think I see him riding in the distance, he had to stop for a grease and oil change.

1. Fluffymetal profile image76
        Fluffymetalposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL smile

2. profile image0
      Kenrick Chatmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Women in their 30's and perhaps early 40's have the same needs and desires I have had since I was 14 years old.

16. profile image0
    Kenrick Chatmanposted 14 years ago

I'm 33 years old, never been married, have no kids, and stay single by choice. It's great to date although eventually I will need to settle down to have kids before I get too old. I date women younger, the same age, and older than me.

17. figment profile image75
    figmentposted 14 years ago

You can't hunt down true love.  Love has a way of mysteriously finding you... at the right moment.

1. profile image0

Very true - however if you wanted to get run over by a bus it would pay to go stand in the road, the same applies - it pays to at least be visible where others can see you  smile

18. donotfear profile image82
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

Why not look at it differently, not as "dating" but as hanging out with guy friends. Just look at them as potential friends, not potential husband material. It's much easier that way without the added pressure of "should I kiss him goodnight" or "will he try to spend the night.."  blah blah blah. You know the story. I know, it's easier said than done. But try it.

19. Alya rose profile image60
    Alya roseposted 14 years ago

I say go for it,not every guy in the street is a jerk,you might actually have some real fun!I hope all goes well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)