"Pit Bulls are Animals Too"

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (38 posts)
  1. ksteed profile image61
    ksteedposted 14 years ago

I'm beginning my hubzone experience with a controversial topic, the American Pit Bull.  I am the reluctant owner of this breed.  I say reluctant, because as a child, I had a bad experience with a pit bull in our neighborhood.  Dolly attacked my much loved border collie, Freckles, and from that day I held a grudge.  I was the first to say ownership of pit bulls was irresponsible, they were inherently dangerous, etc...  I have, however, made a complete 180 degree turnaround since falling in love with my daughter's pit bull, Lexie.

To learn more about the pit bull breed and hear this life-changing story, search hubs for Pit Bulls Are Dogs Too.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i think it is HORRIBLE what man has done to this animal for sport. and for his own ego. it makes me sick. they are not evil. any dog, even tiny Chihuahaus could be made vicious if mistreated as these dogs are. it's heartbreaking, i have to say. sad

2. profile image0
      konrelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

With proper training and lots of gentle coaxing, tender love and care, dogs will become a wonderful mans best friend. They react to their up bringingjust like children do. Dogs only know what they are taught.
      We had a staffordshire terrior. She was the sweetest, friendlyest, smartest loyal dog ever. I will always love her loving heart.
      She loved children especially. She also loved any baby animals we would bring home.

3. ElGringoSalsero profile image80
      ElGringoSalseroposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Try this one on for size. http://hubpages.com/hub/Pit-Bulls-Objec … -Prejudice I think you'll be convince that there is no such think as a dangerous breed.

4. yourdogneedsyou profile image59
      yourdogneedsyouposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am a veterinarian and have grown up a vet's daughter. I have been surrounded by dogs all my life. I agree that you have to judge the individual dog. However we all know that some breeds are more disposed to be aggressive towards people; and not only that, some breeds are able to do more damage, simply because of their built. Pit bulls definitely have the disadvantage to end up in the wrong hands a lot of the time!

2. Whitney05 profile image81
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

There are many forum threads and arguments on the topic. Same with hubs.

Glad you're a fan of the breed, but the topic, as you have mentioned, is quite controversial. There are hubbers here who slam the breed (some we don't see around anymore though). No matter what you say, you won't change many minds. People have to see, not hear, but even sometimes seeing isn't enough. Media plays a very strong role in the fight.

I have a few hubs about bite statistics. One is geared to "pit bull" type dogs. I got nasty comments on there. Many people got pissed when I mentioned other breeds that throughout history have had bad reps due to aggression and attacks. They didn't want to hear about that because they had a German Shepherd, Bulldog, Mastiff, whatever... (German Shepherd got the most complaints. Sorry but they had a long period of having a bad rep).

1. Deanna419 profile image60
      Deanna419posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've got a couple of hubs on pit bulls. I happen to love the breed and try to educate as many people as I can about them.

2. outdoorsguy profile image60
      outdoorsguyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deanna.. Ill with hold my personal opinon of most people and their dislike of dogs LOL other than to say, most thems experience with any breed is from the news and second hand story's.

here in the US.  it ran like this.. when I was a teen ager.. German sheperads are vicious animals need to be put down.. then came Dobermans' "those things will rip you to shreds for a snack cracker "  then silence for a couple of years.. then.. " Rottwiellers are the meanest, strongest dogs around.  very dangerous they kill people in their sleep and eat babies"   

I might have missed a breed scare when I was stationed overseas. but then I got back and its "pit bulls are so vicious.  one woman went to bed and woke up to find her pitbull chewed her feet off while she slept." 
      she must have been seriously medicated not to wake up at the first bite. 

meanwhile.  Half poodle breeds are wreaking havoc around the nation. 

okay Im not a fan of poodles they creep me out LOL. 

some people just hate dogs and are scared of them.. the bigger the dog, the more they hate and fear it. 

I spent time working in a horse camp gound.  nibbler would run along side us when we rode.  people would play with her and let their kids play with her.  " what a wonderful dog.  etc... "   then after three days.. " what kind is she"  " pit bull"    " omg lock the doors, gather the children.  get my inhaler panic attack" 

thankfully not all of them were like that.. many just expressed surprise that Nibbler was a pit becuase she was so friendly and calm.  becuase the news had told them otherwise.

okay im done.. and with out a rant  LOL.  Im getting better.

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

My daughter had a pit, and he was great!

4. Areydo profile image59
    Areydoposted 14 years ago

Although I've never owned an APBT I am a big fan and have spent time around many of them. A few I got placed for people moving,, lost job or other. They are excellent dogs, very loyal. With Ceasar Milan's success I would think more would be open to examining their preconceived notions. Media plays a big role in shaping views and it's sad sensationalising SELLS. Not to put down any breed of dog whatsoever but I think it was a Golden Retriever attack instigating the first face transplant, in France. I find it a sad funny thing that facts and statistics are not much of the journalistic journey anymmore. Stairways and bathtubs kill more people every year than any animal. And it is still legal to drive race cars, skydive and bingee jump...just sayin'. Acceptable risks are what one deems acceptable to themselves- not for others. I will not be removing our stairs and DEFINITELY not our bathtub!

5. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Pit Bulls are not inherently dangerous. Some Pit Bull owners are unquestionably stupid and it gives the breed a bad reputation.

1. Conflagrant profile image60
      Conflagrantposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That reply just summed up a few of my hubs and a website I run...lol

Please don't be that succinct again, else I will not have anything to write about! big_smile

1. Ohma profile image61
        Ohmaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry lost my mind for a moment It will not happen again! big_smile

6. GoTo Gal profile image71
    GoTo Galposted 14 years ago

I don't consider myself a dog person, much less a pit bull fan.  But a few months ago I had a pit bull wander up.  His head was huge, his ribs were showing and he had cuts and sores on him.  At first I tried to shoo him away but then I felt sorry for him and feed him some peanut butter sandwiches.  He never left.

I thought he might make a good guard dog, but no.  I think he may be a cat trapped in a pit bull body.  He grooms himself like a cat and runs and pounces on balls.  He is a big ole fraidy cat.  I believe he was abused by his previous owner.  I named him Bonz, but my friends call him Big Head.

1. ksteed profile image61
      ksteedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's great that you brought him in and took care of him like that.... and funny about the cat-like behavior.  I've noticed that, too with Lexie.  She was raised with cats, so maybe that's why Bonz acts this way, as well?  Anyway, we had a Siamese when we got Lexie and we would tell people that our cat intimiated our pit bull and our pit thought she was a cat.

7. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

Lions are animals as well..

but i wouldn't want them in my house

http://www.glennbeck.com/images/news/2008/04/040708sr.jpg

1. Whitney05 profile image81
      Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lions are wild animals. Pit Bulls are animals who have been domestic for thousands of years.

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

someone should tell them that

1. Areydo profile image59
          Areydoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are many people keeping big cats responsibly and statistics prove the claimed fear mongering has little to do with reality. I see no problem with those choosing to keep them responsibly and consider it an acceptable risk to do so.

1. torimari profile image66
            torimariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This comment worries me tremendously. Texas?

8. Sab Oh profile image56
    Sab Ohposted 14 years ago

Pitbulls should not be punished for being what they are. They are what humans have made them. That being said, they are a stupid choice of pet or guard animal as there are many better options that are more predictable and reliable.

9. profile image50
    Sullivan's Momposted 14 years ago

I just paid, in Feb. 2010, $12,123.37 to save my pit mix life. He ate a rope and it was stuck in his intestine, etc... I say this because these are wonderful dogs that are completely dedicated to their owners. I have a real problem with people promoting the negatives with out really understanding the bigger picture. By the way, I am not made of money!!! He picked me and was their to give sloppy kisses all the way through grad school, saving his life was the least that I could do for him.

10. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

No! Aren't they hockey moms with lipstick!big_smile

11. RunnerJane33 profile image50
    RunnerJane33posted 14 years ago

I had a pit bull as a kid, Buddy, he was great! I had no idea at the time that these dogs had such a reputation.

12. Dstiteler profile image63
    Dstitelerposted 13 years ago

pit bulls were an american icon durig WW2. Now they have a bad reputation because of pit bull fighters. They can be amazing dogs, they just need love.
    If you think about it, how do little dogs act that are mis-treated? They bark,scartch, and bite. The only reason these dogs dont have a bad rep is because they are little. More doxen bites are reported each year than pit bulls

1. Raven1001 profile image61
      Raven1001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I gotta agree.
      I've lived in a neighborhoods where pits were popular, so I've seen the good and bad.  I also have several family members who have the "toy" breeds.  In my limited experience these little guys are ten times more aggressive, but when fluffy bites your leg you'll walk away with a bad bruise.
      When a pit goes bad you might not come away with your leg.   
      Are there any small breeds that are on the "aggressive" list?

13. sabrebIade profile image79
    sabrebIadeposted 13 years ago

We have rescued a lot of Pits.
    One was a "bait dog" that was so docile the owners used it to train the other dogs to fight.
    And we had one that could literally snap a log chain.
    I have played with them, wrestled with them, even held a Slim Jim in my mouth and had one gently bite off the other end and eat it.
    We have had them lay down and sleep and had our kitten rescues climb up on top of them and sleep.
    I have seen those formerly abused Pits lick and clean a kitten like it was their own puppy.
    And these were all different dogs with different backgrounds.
    Show love, you get love.
    So far we have adopted everyone of them out to good, loving homes, with no incidents.

The ONLY dog that has ever bitten me was a poodle. 
    So I'll take a Pit over a Poodle any day...LOL

14. Whitney05 profile image81
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

Yourdogneedsyou, as a vet and a vet's daughter, it's sad that you think that Pit Bulls are predisposed to human aggression. They were bred to be dog aggressive, and NEVER people aggressive. Dogs who showed signs of human aggression were culled from breeding programs and were not allowed to fight (or breed).

1. Raven1001 profile image61
      Raven1001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

What kind of dogs are bred to be people agressive?

2. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have seen this vet experience first-hand through my family. In the vet's office, there is still caution exercised when it comes to the pit bull. The first thought is safety for staff, because the vet practice may not know where the dog came from. The dog may be fearful and in pain, and those jaws and the potential bite need management from the get-go. I know you understand that a dog in pain may lash out.

I understand that the pit bull is not ever bred to be aggressive toward humans. However, a vet practice has to take precautions, especially if a dog is in the company of other dogs.

I think this vet's comment might have been submitted without a re-reading. On the other hand, vet practices seem to be prejudiced when it comes to the APBT.

There's probably a good reason for this, the reason not being because of the dog's natural temperament, but because of what has been done to this breed by breeders who condition the dogs to fight.

15. mrpopo profile image73
    mrpopoposted 13 years ago

My cousin has a pitbull. She's as gentle, if not more so, than my labrador, who hesitates to take food from your hand for fear of accidentally biting you.

He told me he spent countless hours playing with her and training with her so as to spend her energy constructively. Often he would come home late after studying all day in college, and as tired as he was he knew he had to help her spend her seemingly endless energy.

He has two other dogs, and he dictates who the alpha is by giving food to it first. In that way he doesn't make the pitbull think it can challenge him, because out of the three dogs, she isn't the alpha, let alone with him.

These little things that he does constantly to keep the pitbull in order make me think that aggression with these animals occurs heavily because of improper training. Pitbulls require a lot of dedication to raise properly, but most owners won't go through all that hassle, and many more simply want to breed a killing machine to win fights for money.

I don't know if the animal is predisposed to be aggressive or not, but I do know it has the potential to be gentle and loving. Where does the responsibility lie to maximize this potential? With the owner. This is one of the more difficult breeds to raise, so unless you are truly dedicated to raising it, you're better off not getting one at all.

It's sad to see that a beautiful animal like this is banned due to irresponsible owners.

16. lovelypaper profile image59
    lovelypaperposted 13 years ago

I think Pitbulls can be gentle animals, as you have read. It all depends on their environment and how they are loved or NOT loved.

17. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

Personally I'm not an animal person that doesn't mean I'm an animal hater.  I just like the idea of them leaving me alone and I'll leave them alone.

One never knows when or why animal will attack and there have been reports that dogs raised from a puppy later in live attack their owner or family member.  Can any remember the news report being attacked by the police dog during an interview and the owner claiming the reporter got too close to the dog?

A great dane was a neighbor's dog across the street and I'm not sure if he as dangerous or not but he stood so tall that he was a threat to kids in the neighbor and one day when I was watching him he stood next to a little guy-(not a kid) and the dog turned his head sidways moved his mouth right around the waist of this guy and if his owner didn't call him I'm sure he would have bitten down.

18. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 13 years ago

The media could be as responsible for showing the realistic picture of the pit bull's behavior as it has been in showing the sensationally negative. Two TV shows and a documentary come to mind..."Pit Bulls and Parolees" and "Pit Boss" on Animal Planet, and a documentary on the Michael Vick rescues. I don't know that the actual documentary is online...I haven't searched enough. But this website provides the same information and is also the organization featured in the documentary: 

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/vick/now.html

There's good information out there to counteract the negative portrayal this breed has been subject to, and HubPages is a good source.

1. mrpopo profile image73
      mrpopoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great link Sally, I thought that was a beautiful video showing how the dogs recover from the incident(s). I hope they continue to show that pitbulls can be loving creatures when treated properly.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
        Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So glad you took the time to visit the site. I hope more people do.

19. outdoorsguy profile image60
    outdoorsguyposted 13 years ago

I have a pitbull Named Nibbler, an American PitBull.  She was dumped on the road during as a hurricane swept down on Texas.  She was a month old.

after five and a half years with her, I feel I can say a few things about pits.  they are great dogs.. she goes camping, hiking, fourwheeling, horseback riding, canoeing and off roading with me. 

she is one of the best Dogs Ive ever had.  heres a story for ya.  two years ago, the abused beagle I had found was attacked in my yard by another dog.  which wieghed in around a hundred and twenty pounds or so.  " found that out later" 

When I opened the door, Nibbler shot out ofthe house and body slammed and tossed that other dog around the yard. to save the beagle.   which I grabbed and took inside.  as soon as the beagle was inside she ran back to the door to go inside.

whoopie some say.  in all they years Ive had her that was the first time I ever saw her get aggressive.

she has her moods. where she gets mad at me, usually for petting one of the other dogs to much and she will turn around and ignore me and stare at the wall till I pet her.  she gets upset when she cant be by my side.  and even sleeps on the bed with me under her own blanket.   unless shes mad.. then she sits and stares at me till I give in and pet her. 

she plays with kids, other dogs and even horses. which is something to see.  her favorite dog to play with is a friend of mines taco bell dog LOL.  she chases it around then gently picks  it up and carries Meia back to me then sets it down then runs while Meia chases her. 

so this is a long way for me to say, its who raises them and how they are treated.  Nibbler is my best bud.

1. outdoorsguy profile image60
      outdoorsguyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

actualy I need to post the picture of her sleeping with the cat who is her best friend.. they even stalk ground hogs together.  and then play with them.  so vicious. I know.  ground hog covered in drool.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)