Killing your own sons and brothers...? What the.......!

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (40 posts)
  1. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

He (Moses) told them, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: Strap on your swords! Go back and forth from one end of the camp to the other, killing even your brothers, friends, and neighbors."  The Levites obeyed Moses, and about three thousand people died that day.  Then Moses told the Levites, "Today you have been ordained for the service of the LORD, for you obeyed him even though it meant killing your own sons and brothers. Because of this, he will now give you a great blessing."  (Exodus 32:26-29 NLT)

....and you worship this murderous psychopathic god thing?  Really?

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The good book. It is full of this type of psychotic dribble.
      How else would you even get bronze age people to follow a fairy without frightening the hell out of em first! lol

1. qwark profile image59
        qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Earn:
        As usual.....YEP!

2. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now with regards to this God asked Moses to do a daunting task these verses are when the people were worshipping false Idols they had to make a choice either worship Idols or worship God. I found a link that may clarify the words and yes I still believe in God.

http://www.enduringword.com/commentaries/0232.htm

1. qwark profile image59

AEvans:
        I don't know if you belong to any denomination of belief in this god thing.
        If the bible is the foundation of your belief in "it," why would you challenge the word of the god who alledgedly inspired the words in it?
        If you have a reason, then you should be able to understand why there are almost 40k differing protestant interpretations (sects)of the OT. They ALL have an opinion such as the one you just offered.   :-)

3. Danny R Hand profile image60
      Danny R Handposted 14 years agoin reply to this

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      DEFINATLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I posted this verse in another forum, because I did not realize just how twisted this God thing was.  It is frightful to see that people still choose to continue on the path of this nonsense, after uncovering facts like this...Frightful, because it make you see just how badly religion totally brainwashes people.

5. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Of course, those passages show how the wrath of god towards unbelievers is an important part of worshiping and obeying a loving god.

God made unbelievers in order to show this wrath to his followers so that they know he loves them. Killing shows loving.

We're all just cannon fodder. smile

6. megs78 profile image61
      megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought we weren't supposed to take the Bible literally?

7. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In Moses' defense, maybe the sons and brothers that were murdered were Republicans?

8. sooner than later profile image59
      sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it will all happen again... only this time the wicked will kill Gods people as they have done before. But this time will be one for the end.

9. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi friends

This seems to a mischief of the scribes; they were corrupt people and they wrote such things.

Quran does not mention anything like that about Moses.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

AEvansposted 14 years ago

I thought you were talking about the man who killed his two young sons in Arizona and then tried to kill himself but did not succeed, all because he felt his wife may take them to Florida do to them divorcing. Our world is becoming a horrible place. sad

1. qwark profile image59

AEvans:
      The world is a wonderful place with "horrible" people.

1. AEvans profile image72

It is so sad, I don't understand how male/female parents could kill their own innocent little children. I just don't get it when we look at ours we could not imagine doing something so horrible!

1. qwark profile image59

AEvans:
          ...but, but, you are considered "SANE!"

I hope so! big_smile

2. profile image0
      JeanMeriamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There was a case like this in Calgary last month, but it was the mother drowned the two little guys.

What I can't figure is that they say they don't want to be without their kids. If they're dead aren't you without them?

Why don't these parents just kill themselves and leave the kids alone?

I think its vengeance on the spouse.

I believe it is vengeance to and they use the saying, " I want to be with them as an excuse for people to pity them." Unfortunately I cannot those are innocent children who cannot protect themselves and do not understand what is even happening to them. First they are laughing, playing, having fun and then they are snuffed out by a selfish parent. It is disheartening to say the least. sad

3. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Someone left the barn doors open again, oh brother.yikes

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

And, to think...some people think that this moral right action in the service of the mystical god. It's sick and twisted. hmm

1. Danny R Hand profile image60

We see outside the box! You Don't!

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You don't even see the obvious, much less outside of a box. lol lol lol You're too funny. lol

Do you think I could make money as a comedian, huh,huh,huh, yeeeee hooooo!

2. Danny R Hand profile image60

Just for the record, Enlighten me. What is the obvious?

2. Shadesbreath profile image79
        Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I bet you don't see the irony in claiming to "see outside the box" while using a cliché to say it either.

Our world has always been a horrible place, presenting yet another irony: religion is supposed to help.

That was then and this is now, we cannot judge what happened then we can only focus on what is happening now, that is why the past is considered the past is it not? smile

The Bible was written as a guide not for us to judge every word , it is a history of what took place during those times and a look into the future. Nostradamus knew about the Bible it was written by God , he followed the word and people do not disclaim him. Everyone is entitled to there own beliefs some believe some do not , one person is not better then another. smile

1. kerryg profile image84
        kerrygposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The link you posted above flatly contradicts that.

God was going to destroy the entire race of Israel for their idolatry before Moses talked Him down. You can justify the murder of the 3000 all you want, by claiming they were "undoubtedly the most flagrant in their idolatry and immorality, or the were the leaders of the sinful conduct," but their deaths are still a plain sign that in the eyes of God and Moses, everyone is NOT entitled to their own beliefs and one person IS better than another.

1. Valerie F profile image61
          Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and sometimes to the consequences that accompany them.

3. Danny R Hand profile image60

Might I ask a question in all seriousnes? Now we obviously have no physical proof of this. BUT, what if, the life here is miniscule, and only a SMALL part of our overall existance. Is it not possible that ANYTHING we deal with here might strengthen the charater of the Spirit. If the spirit is our dominate being, than that would be a good thing, right?

1. Beelzedad profile image59

Sure, it's a good thing to kill people, to strengthen a dominant being.

Hitler comes to mind. smile

5. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

Danny:
    This comment is not meant to be INSULTING. It is just a frank and candid opinion.
    My HONEST OPINION of you and your extreme religious bigotry is that you are, without doubt, primitively ignorant and easily led.
    You seem to lack an ability to seperate fiction from fact.
    My OPINION is that you are so frustrated by religious dogma that you won't study outside the limitations of your beliefs or you lack an evolved ability to work with logic, reason and fact.
    I KNOW that any suggestion, that you open your mind and study the EVOLUTION of man and his propensity for beliefs in the supernatural, would go unheeded.
    I know that FANATICISM such as that which you display, based soley upon that which is only imagined, is dangerous.
    I have expressed myself HONESTLY and without passion or intent to insult.
    Saying that, if I am again banned for offering an opinion, it will be a permanent "ban" based on my concern about the "hubpages" not being representative of the American Constitutional Right to express ones self freely.
    I would not KNOWINGLY participate in any organization that would deny me this Constitutional right.....nor should any American who loves this country!
    Danny, you have a right to express your beliefs. I have a right to express my opposition to your belief and attitude.
    I will not consider your comments to be credible in ref to "religion" from this point on. I will ignore them. If I am "banned," I thank you all for reading and commenting on my "hubs" and comments...you are truly appreciated.
    I will leave for good!
    Lets see what the result of this comment will be.

If you get banned, it won't be by any action of mine. I have to say you have given me some things to think about. I do consider myself to be a rational and intelligent person. Having said that, I do tend to let my passions and emotions get the better of me. Sometimes I remark without applying reason to my emotions. I have nothing against you, as a matter of fact, you challenge me to readdress my thoughts. Thats a good thing. I'm not even mad at you. I hope to see you around hubpages for a long time, and even have more discussions with you. I am not a vindictive person, and I will do NOTHING towards having you, or anyone els banned. Were all good!

1. Beelzedad profile image59

That is hugely big of you, Danny. I most certainly respect that kind of candid talk. Kudos, sir!!  smile

1. Greek One profile image64
          Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There goes one vote for my petition!

lol

2. qwark profile image59

Danny:
        I appreciate your words. TY.
        I have no problem with you. You are human and deserve respect.
        I have no respect for the religious things you believe in.
        I'm "happy" that you were not insulted as another was when I chose to offer my "opinion" of them and was banned.
        Your attitude, portrayed by your words, exemplify "maturity" and understanding not emotion and reaction.
        I find that few are able to handle "thoughtful" criticism, earned or not.
        I think that if we were ever to meet we might enjoy chatting about our "differences" in beliefs.
        Thank you for your well expressed and well thought out reply! :-)

welcome

6. megs78 profile image61
    megs78posted 14 years ago

because if we did take it literally...well, read this post and get a laugh or two.

This is a forward I received a while ago and love.

Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a US radio personality who dispenses advice to
    people who call in to her radio show.  Recently, she said that, as an
    observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to
    Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The 
    following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a US resident, Jim, which 
    was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have
    learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as
    many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle,
    for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to
    be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however,
    regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them.

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a
    pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev.1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They
    claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus
    21:7.  In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her
    period of menstrual cleanliness (Lev.15:19-24). The problem is, how do I
    tell?  I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female,
    provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine
    claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify?
    Why can't I own Canadians?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath.  Exodus clearly
    states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an
    abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality.  I
    don't agree. Can you settle this?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a
    defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my
    vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around
    their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How
    should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me
    unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different
    crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two
    different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse
    and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of
    getting the whole town together to stone them?  (Lev.24:10-16). Couldn't we
    just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people
    who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can
    help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and
    unchanging.

Your devoted fan,
    Jim

1. qwark profile image59

Megs:
      That was absolutely EXCELLENT!!!
      TY!!!   :-)

7. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

I resent the lack of hostility in these communications as they make work less fun

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)