Stevens to retire from bench...

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (26 posts)
  1. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years ago

Ok.  Good.

However, apparently he is the only Protestant on the bench.

So now what?  Will Obama be obligated to appoint someone with a similar religious background?  Or will he actually have the option to nominate someone in with the right credentials? 

Should Congress allow in a Muslim judge?  I think so.  I don't think religion should be in play period.  However, CNN just asked these same questions, so apparently I'm the extreme minority.mad

Tell us your opinion.

1. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe judges should be completely impartial so their background shouldn't matter, but unfortunately that's impossible - There's no such thing as a truly impartial judge.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A Muslim judge might easily be an improvement over Thomas, Scalia and Alito.

1. Arthur Fontes profile image73
        Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A Muslim judge may prove to be even more conserative also.

IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Arthur, you might be correct in that.  Though, I'd think that they would be more strict in their interpretation of the Constitution, as they should be.  The Constitution is not about being conservative or liberal.  It is suppose to be about the Law.  Though I know, that it isn't. 

I don't know, I wish and hope Obama puts the American peoples needs first.  If he puts up good quality judges, and Congress denies them over religion........, Democrats could sweep the elections again and make the offices all liberal then.

2. IntimatEvolution profile image68

Ohhhhhhh!

I agree. Anyways, since when is religious faith a Supreme Court Justice credential?  I don't get it.  However, apparently it matters greatly.  Right now I guess the court in made up of two Jews, 1 Protestant(stevens) and the rest are Catholic. 

I personally think a little diversity to the court would serve a better purpose.

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What do you have against Protestants?
      And why would America want a Muslim judge?  Only if it's stupid enough to want one,  like they were stupid enough to elect an anti-Christian "President".

2. IntimatEvolution profile image68

I didn't realize that in 1975, Stevens was considered a modest Republican.  Funny how much the party has changed.  He went from being a Mod.Rep. to a Left wing Lib.

hm. Funny.  I wonder what will happen next here.  I think we have a very interesting situation brewing here.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66

Stevens was appointed by Gerald Ford an old-fashioned conservative Republican which unfortunatley is nearly extinct. Another great Supreme Court justice, Earl Warren, was also appointed by a Republican, Dwight Eisenhower. Subsequent Republican appointments to the court have been activist ideological conservatives who would never have reached the Brown v. Topeka Board of Education decision.

Yes, yes Ralph in deed they are. 

You know, Gerald Ford would probably be consider a Democrat today.  He wasn't radical enough for the party of today.

3. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

I'm sure that whomever gets appointed, Judge Thomas will welcome them the the Court with a diet coke and nice firm squeeze

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/ClarenceThomas-thumb

1. profile image0

hahaaa

O's neck would fit within that grasp right there.   ha

You tagged that picture in a hilarious way!

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you don't know the joy i have since learning how to post pictures in messages smile

1. profile image0

I hope to soon.
          Ron told me how.
          Doesn't mean I'll get it, since I'm rather illiterate about web-doings ..Ha...but hey have fun!!

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66

A diet coke with a pubic hair on it.

4. IntimatEvolution profile image68

Brenda, it is not so much that i desire a Muslim as a S.Judge.  I see how you are baiting me here.  But...., no go.

It is quite clear you missed the point entirely.

Since when should it matter what your religious faith is?  Why would you have a problem with a non-Protestant judge? I unlike you, understand the separation of Church and State.

1. profile image0

This nation wasn't founded on Muslim principles.
      I don't care who or what wants to come into it now and change things for the worse, the fact is that the so-called-and-much-misunderstood "separation of church and state" meant that no religion could control the people.  It did NOT mean that the Founders nor the people were advocating non-Christian influences in our government.  It's original intent was to keep entities like the Roman Catholic Church from controlling the government.

This is not a nation founded on any religious principles.

God are you really that much of a bigot?  I'm not trying to rude.  I'd seriously like to know.  But then again, I live in the bible belt.  You are just like that type of Christian.  So far from Christ, yet you beg for his love and compassion.  I'd be begging too if I thought as you. 

Sorry- I cannot tolerate ignorance on that level. 

So therefor Brenda, I respectfully disagree with your sentiments.

1. profile image0

Now now don't lie.
          You quite DISrespectfully disagreed.  But hey it's a free country, so far! big_smile

No- seriously I do not mean to disrespect.  However, I am a Christian.  So why lie?  To save you from hard questions? 

I don't think so.  Everything I said was true.  I think you are unfortunately extremely uneducated in the historical facts surrounding the founding of this nation.  Text book definition of someone ignorant in a subject matter, like this.

Sorry Brenda.  It is what it is, and YOU are what you are. 

Need I say no more?smile

1. profile image0

You might want to re-evaluate two things.
              1. What being a Christian is.
              2. You might want to visit a site called Wallbuilders.  It can (for those with ears to hear) shed much light on the basis of America.

I'm quite comfortable in my Christian faith.

I'm not a bigot preaching hate, and I don't think that this country was founded solely as a Christian nation.

So thank you for the advice Brenda, but I'll pass on your advice.

I plan to meet my maker, without having to pray for unbridled forgiveness first, because of some hateful rhetoric.

Nothing more needs to be said.  I again respectfully disagree with your predigests sentiments.

5. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

speaking of baiting...

I heard Obama is going to appoint a Muslim judge so that someone will have the experience to rule on Sharia Law, which Congress is going to vote on in the next session (based on a recommendation from the United Nations)

1. profile image0

He or they or whoever can take their Sharia Law and shove it.......out the window!  ha

6. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

Good bait.
    Did I do good?
    tongue

7. IntimatEvolution profile image68

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2008/8/30aug6-diet-coke-and-mentos-in-action.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)