Somebody is bookmarking me on SheToldMe

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Mieka profile image62
    Miekaposted 14 years ago

I've been getting some traffic from SheToldMe lately, but I'm not a member (have been meaning to sign up, but haven't got around to it yet). So someone else is bookmarking some of my hubs there to make a buck for themselves.

Kind of weird no? Does anyone else have that? And what should I do about it?

1. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would contact the site owner if I were you.

2. wyanjen profile image69
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

I would enjoy the traffic you're getting from the back link.
    smile

3. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

Interesting...I guess that means the (unaccounted for) traffic I'm getting isn't from shetoldme....

Does it matter if someone else is advertising your hubs?   I mean, you still get the traffic and the impressions and/or clicks, right?

4. Mieka profile image62
    Miekaposted 14 years ago

Yeah, I just thought it was a bit weird, extra traffic is always good.

But i want to sign up there as well, and I'm guessing i can't post the hubs that someone else already posted, no? It just feels a little weird someone trying to make money off of my work.

Oh well, I'll just leave it for now, and look into it when I sign up for shetoldme myself.

Thanks guys!

1. wyanjen profile image69
      wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good for you that somebody notices your hubs and likes them well enough to scoop them.
      Don't think about it in terms of somebody trying to make money off of you; think of it in terms of a solid back link that you didn't have to wrangle for yourself.

smile

2. Rafini profile image81
      Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's a good question, Mieka -

do duplicate backlinks matter at a site like shetoldme?  Anyone know?

If I'm remembering correctly...

I once tried to scoop a hub that was already scooped by somebody else, and it wouldn't let me.
        I didn't do it on purpose - I just didn't know it was already there.

It said something to the effect of "This page is already listed"

It was awhile ago, so I don't exactly remember.

smile

2. mythbuster profile image72
        mythbusterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Someone has done a similar thing with my hubs, Mieka - listed my hubs in some articles and it hasn't been a bad thing at all.

3. wyanjen profile image69
      wyanjenposted 14 years ago

Driving traffic to your hubs is more difficult than writing them in the first place.
      If somebody else is linking to your hubs,

this is a GOOD thing.

smile

You are correct Rafini, once they are on your page, they are all yours. (Except of course for the standard HubPages share of impressions.)

4. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 14 years ago

Driving traffic to you is wonderful! I can bet it is probably one of your hub buddies who loves your work. smile

5. MyWebs profile image79
      MyWebsposted 14 years ago

If and when someone is promoting your content on your behalf then I feel like that is a high compliment they are paying you.

Yes they may make a little change from having promoted your content on certain sites like SheToldMe but your also still benefiting from the extra traffic without having to of done the extra work to get it.

Everything in life is a trade off and this seems very fair to me. Me and a few people I follow and who follow me here on HubPages often Tweet, Digg, Stumble, RedGage... each others content.

On some sites like Digg and StumbleUpon I believe it is against their TOU to only promote your own content so you MUST actively post links to content that is not yours. By cross promoting your friends stuff this helps you to stay within their TOU and helps out the person your promoting for too. Win Win for all. I could go into other benefits too but I won't for some other reasons.

6. ladyjane1 profile image70
      ladyjane1posted 14 years ago

This is how shetoldme works the website says to submit your favorites. Find an article, image or video online and submit it to SheToldMe.com. You can also submit your own content. Your submission will immediately appear in "Upcoming", where other members can find it and, if they like it, vote for it. So it is a compliment that somone is promoting your work. I wish someone would do that for me. But most of the time I believe that is how these websites work. You can submit your own work but you are encouraged to submit others as well.

7. Mieka profile image62
      Miekaposted 14 years ago

Alright, well I will take it as a compliment than!

I hate all this manual bookmarking (I'm updating Xomba and Snipsly now), so I guess it is nice if someone else does it for me smile

I haven't used StumbleUpon yet, but I did install their toolbar for safari the other day. So I can start on that too! smile

StumbleUpon -
        Be sure to bookmark pages that don't belong to you as well.
        I have stopped using it myself, but there are quite a few who lost their accounts because they only put their own stuff up. So, don't make yourself look like a spammer over there big_smile

Pay it forward. Maybe we'll see a new forum titled
        "Somebody is bookmarking me on StumbleUpon"
        and then I'll say, Mieka did it!!!!

lol

1. Michael Willis profile image68
          Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is something everyone should remember to do. Always add more than just your own on these type of sites. This way you will be able to keep using their service. 
          I also like using Buzz.

8. SiddSingh profile image60
      SiddSinghposted 14 years ago

I think there is another aspect of bookmarking on STM - these backlinks actually allow the person who is bookmarking to earn money from adsense clicks.

So, if I am on on STM, and pick up a random number of hubs to bookmark daily, I can sure get a few dollars without any effort at writing any hubs. Yes, the bookmarked Hub gets some traffic, but the original hub writer also loses a monetization opportunity, which should belong to him/her in the first place.

I will certainly like to bookmark my hubs on STM, but all by myself.

1. englightenedsoul profile image58
        englightenedsoulposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I second that.  I feel it is totally unethical even if done in a good way and unintentional!!

9. Anamika S profile image69
      Anamika Sposted 14 years ago

Getting Traffic through others efforts is a good idea. And i personally do not mind to digg or stumble a page i like but definitely I would not think of making money with other peoples content.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)