What the #^$#((*** is a SOCKPUPPET, anyway?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (69 posts)
  1. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

With all this talk, I'd sure like a definition.
    Thanks.

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A person with more then one alter-ego a person that holds multiple accounts.smile

1. mega1 profile image79
        mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

we are currently in the process of redefining to

A person with more then one alter-ego a person that holds multiple accounts   IN ORDER TO HARRASS, DISTURB, STALK, OR OTHERWISE MANIPULATE HUBBERS IN THE FORUMS AND ON THEIR HUBS!

or anyhow, that's what I'm thinking.

lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That looks mighty official, mega!!!  In fact that's exactly what I believe I'm seeing.

1. mega1 profile image79

so yeah, and what I'm also saying is that, even though you will find them hardput to admit it, there are those who use their one and only (or so they say) to harm as well.  Its the "harm" part that is the real bugaboo here.  I really have a lot of fun and hope I never really harm anyone - but if it seems like I ever do I expect someone will tell me right away. 

There is this other thing - and I am guilty of it, too - and I call it "thread hogging"  which is hijacking and just dumping alot of useless nonsense in an otherwise respectable (ible?) discussion - you know?  so that is why I hang out mainly in the tribe or hijack this thread threads where I cannot be confused with stinky socks or ugly trolls!  yes, yes, sister, I am good underneath it all I say - GOOD!

Lololo you are funny!!! big_smile

2. barryrutherford profile image75
            barryrutherfordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it 's sounds like amedical condition like multiple personality disorder or even psychotic

2. susanlang profile image60
          susanlangposted 14 years agoin reply to this

mega1, I'm glad your going to redefine the term "sockpuppets" which I, as a fairly new hubber, had no idea what that meant. But I do like your new define as I have learned right away, too many games, too many stalker's, too much harrassment, one hubber using too many profile's for the sole purpose of attacking other hubber's, and, making fun of the non fiction stories other hubber's post in order to draw attention away from that story, in hopes of bringing down the score of another hubber's good story!
          I have one profile which I use, this one, and only this one!  However, my husband and 4 other friends use my computer on the net.  I have no need for other profiles on the hubs. However, I respect those who do and only use them to write good hubs and want to make money off the Hubpages website. I remember when I first wrote some of my first stories. A short woman, who had a very tall husband, had the nerve of sending comments to one of my personal non fiction hub stories. In her comment's she insisted that I could not tell (my) story the way I presented it. Then, she sent me email's again telling me, I had to present my true story (her way)  I don't care if your the (King of England)  I don't care how high you managed to get your hub profile score up, nobody has the right to tell another hubber they must write their personal story and change the facts just so it sounds better to them. I  had to send her an email after receiving her rude emails. I said, these are my true stories, I will write them the way I choose. Please leave me alone and stop sending me email's, or I will have to call the police in my town. After that, the email's stopped. Thank God, I thought. Peace!  smile

2. lorlie6 profile image73

Thanks, AEvans, though it seems to have a negative connotation here.  I realize it's 'legal' to have one or more accounts, but does this nomenclature indicate some sort of deception?

From the threads I have been reading the answer to that question is yes. There apparently has been some deceit with some hubbers having multi-accounts on the forums but I believe if ignored life becomes so much better. A person should not feed the fire, the flames could burn you. smile

Thanks.  Great advice-I really mean it.

2. ThoughtfulSpot profile image70
      ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've been trying to figure this out tonight too.  I like Mega's definition... that's the feeling I've gotten.  Just had a similar discussion.

Thanks for the confirmation btw, Mega! big_smile

And for the official definition AE. big_smile

3. profile image0
      Will Bensonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here is HubPages take on multiple IDs, etc.

# Multiple Accounts: While we don’t prohibit having more than one HubPages account, we ask that you stick to a single persona in the forums. The deceptive use of multiple accounts, especially in a single thread is prohibited. The use of secondary accounts to circumvent a forum ban is also prohibited. This type of behaviour is also known as ’sockpuppeting’.

1. ThoughtfulSpot profile image70

Thanks for the official definition Will.  Seems the "deceptive" plays a key role.

1. profile image0
          Will Bensonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. It shouldn't be a problem for you anyway.

lol
            I wasn't worried, but thanks!  I was just discussing in another thread the difference between having multiple accounts and actually being a "sock puppet."

I don't have multiple accounts, nor can I handle any additional drama, especially self inflicted.  So, I don't see it as being a problem either.  (I come here to relax for goodness sake!)

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh nice, right there in the forum rules. thanks for posting.
        http://hubpages.com/help/forum_rules

3. alternate poet profile image66
        alternate poetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice idea, good rule, so why don't the sockpuppets get 'prohibited' I wonder?

How would it be enforced?  I wish it could be though, alternate poet.

2. AEvans profile image71

They do smile

1. profile image0
            Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hey aevans, i forgot to ask you, what was the title of the hubs about sock puppets you were talking about?

We can't promote our own hubs just go to my profile and you will see them, they are about our forum they are funny. smile

1. profile image0

okay, and you said they were the new ones right?

yes smile

1. profile image0

okay, thanks aevans. i'll definitely check them out then.  thnks.  smile

2. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

I think the term sock puppet is like a alter ego that some Hubber's use to fool others or be mean while not admitting who they really are.
    I do not think the term applies to second accounts used for alternate writing styles or marketing Hubs.

3. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

Yes, I think mega1 has the best new definition.  I think this new type of sockpuppet deserves an entirely different name, however.  Thinking, thinking, thinking....  Sockpuppet is far too nice.

1. mega1 profile image79

mortar forker?

1. profile image0
        wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol  Getting closer.

1. profile image0
          Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I still like meanie head better...big_smile yea I know I hung out with kids too long sorry

You even censored it for kids.  Mine would have at least said
            "Poo-poo head." lol

1. profile image0
              Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol Yes I censored it for my kids...I have to...once I heard a naughty word come from a 3 year old's mouth and WOW I was shocked yikes

Its tough.  I remember when my eldest was 2 and a naughty word came out. It was so innocent and adorable at the same time as being shocking, I honestly wanted to laugh.  We learned to be more careful after that (we thought we WERE being careful... but tiny ears have long ranges.)

Ok folks... back to your regularly scheduled programming... sorry for the hijack.

2. VioletSun profile image80
      VioletSunposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Troll used to be the name for those who post in forums in order to harass. Sockpuppet is a new one to me.

1. susanlang profile image60

VioletSun, I remember that term as well. Boy...I'm feeling old now. lol

4. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Yep I agree with Mega smile Oh and don't worry I'm not a sockpuppet...just a stalker lol

5. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I'm considering going back to school to study sock law.

big_smile:

lol

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

hmm, they get a lot of undeserved attention.
    there is a difference between a hubber having an alter ego or multiple accounts to publish hubs and they don't lie about who they are on their profile. they simply have more than one account like nelle, darkside, dale, people who are publishing and using the site for its purpose.
    sorry, I just think it's wrong for people to fabricate accounts portraying themselves to be something, someone they are not, saying they are musicians or undercover cop, etc... maybe they should have their own forum. they can talk to each other freely. lol

1. profile image0
      wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree.  It's the fabrication that's really messed up and manipulative.  roll

2. lorlie6 profile image73

They could have quite a party, don't you think? lol
      Seriously though, thanks, people for chiming in on this.

1. Lisa HW profile image60
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There's nothing quite like a party with one person, one chair, one drink, and a bunch of imaginary friends.

You bet, Lisa! lol

3. susanlang profile image60

rebekah, great idea you came up with. smile

7. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I am so glad we had this discussion.  At long last I have it sorted out for myself, I think:

Sockpuppet - one who is banned from the forums for harrassment or extreme manipulative behavior or harmful actions and RETURNS as an alternative identity in order to deceive

Troll - one who uses any identity (their own, or an alter-ego) in the forums and/or in the hub comments in order to manipulate, harrass, stalk, slander or otherwise malign other hubbers.

NOW do I have it right, finally?

8. profile image59
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

Who really cares about sockpuppets?  Ignore those who you think might be one if it really bothers you, unless you have nothing better to do.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cool, well I will ignore you from now on then smile

1. profile image59
        logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Promises, promises! smile

9. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

http://cache.wists.com/thumbnails/0/da/0dadd4d2fd0b9f4e4d2f36c7e1ba6da0-orig

Love this, Beth!

Beth, I don't know if your a man or a woman. I do know the dragon and sock rocks the funny list!

10. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Best visual summation I could come up with.  lol

How are you Lorlie?

Hi, Beth...I'm exhausted trying to figure all this out!  And you?

11. K Partin profile image61
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

One size fits all! lol

lol my show size is 11. Mark says, better to kick someone's butt with when they need a good butt kickin.  lol

12. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 14 years ago

After I got set straight by a few folks and deciphered what I think they are all saying I came up with the following which updates the earlier definition I had:

Sockpuppet - one who is banned from the forums for harrassment or extreme manipulative behavior and/or harmful actions and RETURNS as an alternative identity in order to deceive and continue their bad behaviors.

Troll - one who uses any identity (their own, or an alter-ego) in the forums and/or in the hub comments in order to manipulate, harrass, stalk, slander, shill for a scam, or otherwise malign other hubbers.

1. K Partin profile image61
      K Partinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wow thats some deep sh*t.....

mega1, you said that so well and with such great details, thanks. smile

3. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought it was the other way around....  Go figure. 

Who are the self-appointed Council members of the Sock Puppet Terminology Comm., so we can discuss it in length with them?  I'd like to read, what someone in charge of the movement, has to say.tongue

Personally, if I had the creativity, I'd have tons of accounts.  The more money I say, and screw the ones drowning in hate-mongering jealousy.

Here, here!!

IntimatE, which way did you say your facing?  smile  Oh... and I have to agree, jealousy seems to run deep. So sad I say.

13. Uninvited Writer profile image77
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I'm sure you could go back and read the gazillion threads about them to learn what a sock puppet is smile

14. K Partin profile image61
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

Not really up there on my list of things to do....lol Thanks though.

15. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Here is my take on this entire situation of course after my first cup of coffee. lololo

Now that everyone understands what a sock-puppet is we need to let this entire discussion die. Many are and have been heart being accused of things they were not, there have been examples of the pain suffered on other threads. We are not children we are adults, what makes our community different is that we have actually spoke to some of these people on the phone,met them in person, or shared our lives through e-mails. I don't know of any other writing sites where people ban together when someone gets hurt, loses a loved one,or just needs advice or someone to talk to.

All of us need to think before we comment and ask ourselves how it feels when we feel attacked. If something bothers us ignore it, I know it can be hard to do I have lashed out on occassion to, but when it gets tough walk-away from the computer it is only a virtual world.

We need to end the discussion about this subject and focus on hopping, commenting and do what all of us love to do best and that is write. smile

susanlangposted 14 years ago

Now your talking,  AEvans. smile

2. wyanjen profile image71
      wyanjenposted 14 years ago

[rant]
      As long as I have been a member at HubPages I've gotten kick out of hubbers in the forums with alter egos.

This is a community of writers. If we were all mathematicians the forums would be so frickin' boring you could near the crickets chirping.

People use sock puppets because they don't have the nerve to say something without being under cover, or because they get a kick out of causing drama. I've known several alter egos who were only here to play, not to cause mischief - and I don't have any kind of problem with that. It was fun.

Notice I put that in past tense. All this damn saga drama garbage has driven away many of my buddies and that BUMS me out. I've had it with the "I'm leaving, no please don't go" forums and "Name all your favorite friends" and "Hey everybody, look at what we are e-mailing to each other when we're not in the forums" stuff.

I'm not defending hubbers who use their socks for evil, but page after page of personal drama is just as irritating.
      I don't give a damn about it and I'm perfectly capable of not reading what I don't want to read. The problem is that when I pop in to kill some time and have some fun, the folks I'm looking for are MIA.

I know people here have been hurt and they deserve to speak up.
      It's just a shame that the childishness has caused so many to lose interest in the forums altogether. All the gossip bs and drama is too much. It feels like high school all over except I don't have to find a grown up to buy my cigarettes for me.

I should have used my alter ego to post this maybe, because my "sock puppet" is way too polite to say

just grow the f@#& up.
      [/rant]

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

AMEN, SISTER!!  Couldn't agree more lol lol

3. susanlang profile image60
      susanlangposted 14 years ago

Here's a post wishing my friends a good afternoon or evening depending on where you live. smile

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)