Self-appointed Council members of the SockPuppet Terminology Movement

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (44 posts)
  1. IntimatEvolution profile image69
    IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years ago

Seem to be out of hand, out of control and out of line. 

Dearest Hubpages team members, Paul Deeds, Staff and Hubber Elite, I ask you to spread the light on this committee,

Did you appoint, Council members of the Sock Puppet Terminology Comm. to conduct a witch hunt?  We all would like to know?  Did you appoint certain hubpages.com community members to go out and harass people who have multiple accounts, and define a new set of terminology that us fellow hubber flock must follow?  Did I, IE, miss that memo?

Furthermore Paul Deeds, Hubber Elite, Hubpages team members, society and staff,

Was their a proclamation made concerning the right to troll and to be a sock puppet? Because if you have, please here me out dear Hubpages Higher Powers.

I ask you Paul Deeds, and fellow good people- so what if people troll?  It is the Internet for Christsake!  A place were people troll!  The fact that these self-appointed naysayers expected anything different, scares me for everyone safety. It is the Interent.  A "Fairy Tale" land, where people go to hide.  The fact, the f a c t, that they expect anything different...., well is childish. Would you not agree? Though, as of late, this little witch hunt full of disclaimers, harassing sentiments, and little childish mindsets-  just might be a record holder.  Are you aware of what YOUR self-appointed committee members have done?  Supposedly in YOUR, Paul Deeds and Hubpages.com, best interest. (Well you are now.wink)

Therefore- do tell us this answer, so what if people have multiple accounts to do this or that. Do you or do you not agree, that the fact that people have that much time on their hands, to create new terminology, to fit their own personal hate mongering, is despicable?  However I'll add, it is the Internet for ya, and well........, do you agree that most smart people on the Internet at least expect it, that is make new terminology at hubpages.com expense.  Trolling?  Pretending to be who they are not?  It is the Internet right?  It is expected?

Furthermore Paul Deeds, Hubpages good Staff and team members, along with the rest of us, is SockPuppets a new term for hubpages.com, giving certain self-appointed hubbers the right to personally attack, and slamming those members who are being accessed and wrongly accused of this newly form and supposely, "Hubpages Community Official Terminology, known as SockPuppet?"  Why do they have the power to impose hate mongering and the rest of don't?  What say you on this matter?  If this is, as they have now led us all to believe, a bad thing to have more than one account, please reconsider.  And do tell us all why???? 

So what if people are "puppets."  Personally most of us are "Sock Puppets."  Sock puppets to our lovers in bed, to our parents, to our children.  NOBODY!  NOBODY!  NObody, is ever 24/7 who they really are.  Everyone of us are, at sometime and point in our lives, a socketpuppet.  Especially when answering to someone else, like a boss where it is not fit to be "truly" our yourselves.

Mr. Deeds, Hubpages Staff and Team members, as well as my wonder HubPages.com hubbers- stop the witch hunt.  Disband the "self appointed" Hubpages.com, Council members of the Sock Puppet Terminology movement.  It is NOT hard to read the tactless fairytale hub by Tantrum, who but of all things lies in their disclaimer, and the relentless hate mongering of Cosette, in these ridiculous "socket puppet" forum threads.  They are committing fraud!  They fraud themselves as authority, and now are acting as Witch Hunters.  I accuse them of this.  It is a accusation based on facts.

Are you aware of this movement?

Even if you are- I make a motion to vote.

I vote that we report these self appointed, socket puppet WITCH hunters, banned them and hang them out to dry. 

That way life can return to normal here on hubpages, NOBODY has to worry anymore, and all well be as it should be.

What say you?
    Report, and remove this scum from our forums.
    I, I, and Here, Here!!
    Do list other committee movement leaders names here.  I'm sure Paul Deeds will appreciate those who help to put an end to the hate, and personal attacks on "sockpuppets", and their own falsified fraud.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"OOH, look at ME....look at MEEEEEE...!" screeched "IntimateEvolution". roll

since you mentioned my name several times, i will respond to this drivel but once.

i wrote one forum thread about sockpuppets, here:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/40346

this thread was closed after someone reported it.

it strikes me as very funny that you were all in an uproar when lyrics and her pals were moderated when you guys attacked me a couple of months ago, although none of you were banned. i was. and when i did get banned, i didn't come back in disguise (sock puppet), and when the ban was lifted, i didn't post a 'hey i am back' thread. i just started posting again. it is only ok in your little mind when it is you and your little buddies who are on the offense.

i have not bullied anyone. in fact, your pal is the one who has bullied and insulted myself and Hokey in unsolicited emails. thank god she doesn't know my facebook account or she would follow me there too as she has others.

i stay away from lyrics completely, and have unfanned all of her buddies. YOU, i have no idea who you are, but i certainly have no interest in you.

i don't appreciate being accused of witch hunting or bullying or part of some "HubPages conspiracy". i understand you want to got your friend's back, but seriously, this is ridiculous. there were more than a few individuals in that thread who expressed negative opinions re: sockpuppets and lyrics and yet you single out tantrum and myself, which is very telling.

good luck in your little quest roll

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you, Cosette.  You are obviously sane.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having more than one account here, but as with anything, it can be abused and it is obvious that some people here use them to deceive and abuse others.  That is wrong, and it is perfectly acceptable for those who have been harassed in this way to fight back.

2. profile image0
      WizardOfOzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow.  You need to lighten up.

2. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 14 years ago

So you're basically saying we should set up a witch hunt against people you say are witch hunters?

My head hurts...

3. IntimatEvolution profile image69

Maybe.... if that is what you read.

I am saying for sure that Paul Deeds needs to be aware that their are people imposing as Hubpages Law, and harassing people.  Name the names.  It is fact.  It is not hard to see, and they should be removed.  If that means a witch hunt, sure.  No different than the US rounding up Hitler henchmen in the 40tys and 50tys.  Someone has to put a stop to this.  One way or another.  I'll leave that up to Paul.  All I'm asking for is a good place to write again.

I should not have to read fairytales about another hubber, hell bent on destroying that person.  It is not right.  So I'm standing up the best way I know how.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry but somehow I can't see the antics that go on here as being in any way as serious or damaging as the stuff that Hitler did. 

Plenty of people (the majority in fact) write hubs but never participate in the forums, so you've always got a choice.  And you've also got a choice to ignore all the drama-laden threads (although I do admit that they've been very prevalent and annoying of late).

4. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Since HP does not block people from holding multiple accounts I do not see why it is anyone else's concern. IE I agree with so many of the things you have said. I hate to see the purposely poorly veiled hubs that are used for know reason other than to generate conflict. They should not have a place on HP and I do wish the staff would at the very least unpublish them.
    The fact that they generate internal traffic by feeding the hate almost assures that a link to their garbage will end up on someones hub who is sincerely trying to make a go of it here. I they will not unpublish them then they should provide us with the ability to block hubs from being linked to our own.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would like to see this feature as well.  I'd also like it to be possible to block the "forum posts" section on one's hubs - for example, I don't want to see a forum thread entitled "How many people have you slept with" on any of my hubs, thanks.

1. Ohma profile image61
        Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is my point I have a story I published about my wonderful grandparents and the love they shared and I literally have to check everyday to make sure there is no garbage attached to it. Every time I find it I report it but it only gets removed after days and if the team agrees that it shouldn't be there.

2. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.  I just want my fellow hubbers to safe to write.  I cannot stand it any longer.  I feel like it is 1955, and it is McCarthyism all over again.

It is absurd!

People have more than one account to make money.  That is the bottomline.  Good for them.

5. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Here is what I wrote recently on another read:

Now that everyone understands what a sock-puppet is we need to let this entire discussion die. Many are and have been heart being accused of things they were not, there have been examples of the pain suffered on other threads. We are not children we are adults, what makes our community different is that we have actually spoke to some of these people on the phone,met them in person, or shared our lives through e-mails. I don't know of any other writing sites where people ban together when someone gets hurt, loses a loved one,or just needs advice or someone to talk to.

All of us need to think before we comment and ask ourselves how it feels when we feel attacked. If something bothers us ignore it, I know it can be hard to do I have lashed out on occassion to, but when it gets tough walk-away from the computer it is only a virtual world.

We need to end the discussion about this subject and focus on hopping, commenting and do what all of us love to do best and that is write. smile

6. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 14 years ago

Great thread and intelligent while perceptive.

While I have heard reasons for HP slow response to most of these threads,  and others, the three obvious if the thread was read, are the main hunters.  If you are to review 4 closed threads the same people were malicious and received no consequence.

As is it now.

However, digging your own grave takes time and I am busy doing the opposite.  Paul Deeds, surely you can see the trace of behavior that infects HP as a whole, as many people not with HP have told It's  Embarrassing.  Frustrating.  Paul Deeds if your hands are tied, please let us know.  Then we will continue to go about our ways and see the situation as it is.

A new hubber is now being targeted and sadly she is deciding to go.

This is our community.

Lastly Paul, can you please confirm or deny the written statements about HP being bought or closing in a month.  I can't help but worry given there is no one moderating full time herenow.

Thank you Paul Deeds
    Thank you Intimate

1. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wait what? where did you hear that? yikes that is scary!

7. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Ohma, why you want to reduce your number of backlinks with this feature ? Any publicity is a good publicity. Lol.On the serious note,let's just concentrate on writers community and of-course making money.

@IE, sock-puppet saga these days looks hot issue on forums but anyway it's just a play for those who have lot of time in their hands to harass people on forums(if they're not here for making money). Let them play with that cause giving either side too much attention will portray HP forums negatively which is not good IMO.

8. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

*wades through a sticky, gooey tarn of thick drama...makes it to the other side, drags herself out of the pool and lies on the ground gasping for breath...*

What the....hell is....happening.....around.....here?

9. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 14 years ago

Maybe just ask Paul if we can declare April as HP sock month and have a competition on different sock hubs roll

but then the puppets will be left out

Intimate, all jokes aside your bang on, refreshing to have a forum that promotes change and encourages the exiles of continual hatred.

10. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 14 years ago

If you are not intrested in a specific subject stay out of it!

If you are offended by something don't continue to read it and continue it by posting yourself..

I was always told if you argue with a fool no one will be able to tell you apart..

I don't want to chat about jesus, so I stay away from those posts..

If you don't want to talk about sockpuppets or sing the sock puppet song... stay away..

The internet is open for everyone, I like naughty jokes, others don't... I like cute short women, others like tall ugly ones.. But I don't tell people what they should like, and should think..

If someone has a different view to me they are entitled to it fully, i am not going to get upset if they take the oposite viewpoint to me..

If people want to have some fun talking about something quite frankly irrelevant and harmless what the heck.. let them....

I have got better things to do with my time than worry about what someone else is posting if it does not agree with my thoughts.. I post what I want, and move on.. no point in becoming obsesive over it..

Or should we all be forced to think the same way and behave the same way, life would be very boring if we were...

Have a nice smiley day, have a nice glass of sweet juice (with or without the vodka), grin, write a new hub....

11. IntimatEvolution profile image69

Another thing, I'm off to garden today.  I've got busy hospital work, saving peoples lives tomorrow. 

I hope everyone sincerely considers what is going on here needs to stop.  People need to left alone, and not made fun of, not ridiculed, and not stopped from writing.  We all are here for a creative outlet environment.  For some reason or another, we do not get that anywhere else. I deal with horrific tragegies and events all day long.  This is my fantasy world, and personal outlet. 

To be henched, or the thought of being henched by fellow members who hate what I write, or what I have to say is nonsense.  No matter, what we have here are words.  Words.  However- real people are writing those words.  Real people, who maybe like me, gets bullied by the real world everyday.  I'm bullied by doctors, and the very nature of my job is bullying.  I love what I do, but I'm human and need an outlet.  Just like everyone on here needs an outlet.  I will not tolerate bullying on this site.  I made myself that self appointed person here and in real life.  Thank god.  If I didn't in real life- people would die a horrific, smelly and disgusting death of infection and disease.  And I don't apparently try to help here, well maybe someone a fellow hubber will stop writing here.  Moreover, maybe that someone bullied by others, will commit suicide like that little girl in Florida.  Bullying is a terrible, terrible, event.  I'm asking for it to be stopped.

Even though, the imposed bullying has not been directed towards me, I have personally felt the effects off screen.  It bothers me to see it.

I'm asking for it to stop.  I have facts.  I have proof.  If Tantrum would like for me to spill it all out in an open forum, I'll be more than happier to help. It is no secret that there is no love lost between us. However, I don't write fairytales about other hubbers, ployed to hurt people.   However- I do respect them as a person, they are here to get away and share their creativity and talent, and  Cosette too.  However, that doesn't change the tone of what they started here, A SockPuppet Witch Hunt- which is their own self imposing group bullying, of fellow hubbers.  It needs to be stopped.

Paul Deeds, please stop it.

12. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 14 years ago

Watch out after school........ lol.... kids

13. Padrino profile image60
    Padrinoposted 14 years ago

I find it humorous that a supposed writing site would have a problem with alter egos, Stephen King wrote books as Richard Bachman and stories as John Swithen.

John Sandford is really John Camp and O. Henry wasn't really O.Henry, its kind of a time honored tradition to use pseudonyms!

1. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Didn't Mark Twain use a ghost writer or an alternate name?

The bullying of these people needs to be stopped.  Thank you, and I'm off to my gardens. 

If I am banned myself, well so be it.  It has been real, but I only recently started coming back into the forums anyways.  A hubber that went by Lyrics was my inspiration for that.  I loved her saucy headliners and great forum topics. So was tattoguy, Misha, Pam Grundy and Goldentoad.  But now I come in and bam!  It is liar this, socket puppet that.  It is a witch hunt.  So again, if I'm banned,  Love and Blessings, and best to you all.  I will deal with what comes my way.  But this bullying by Cosette and Tantrum, needs to be stopped.  Thank you kindly.  Have a good week, Julie;)

1. Padrino profile image60
        Padrinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Didn't Mark Twain use a ghost writer or an alternate name?"

Yes, it was Mark Twain!

I believe his real name was Samuel Clemens.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
          Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

14. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Skyfire I guess I am misunderstanding the term back link. how does the (hub?) linked to my Hub provide me a back link? I would have thought that provided a back link for the other hub not mine. If I am thinking right soon enough garbage hubs would not get any internal back links because everyone would block them from their Hubs.

1. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Internet is open and we can't stop anyone from linking our hubs from garbage place(on and off hubpages). Within hubpages we get internal linking and it is beneficial if it's relevant.I don't know how blocking will help.

1. Ohma profile image61
        Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well I am still very confused about all the linking and back linking as you can tell but I guess the point I was trying to make is that I do not think that a hub about hot sexy actresses is relevant to a great love story but they still get linked because of the common tag words, and I think I should have the ability to prevent certain hubs from being linked to my own just on the basis of content I deem irrelevant or inappropriate. it is after all my writing.

1. skyfire profile image80
          skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey that is one good point about tags that i ignored. Yes,agree that some hubs in tags are sometimes not relevant and there needs to be some way to prevent tag abuse.

15. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

And yes I agree with you guys. Ppl also shouldn't be harrassed through emails because of all the drama and sock-puppet stuff hmm

16. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Is it rumor-virus or there is any official reference that tempts you to write this ? If it's not official announcement then let's stop making sweeping statements, shall we ?

17. profile image0

IE have a relaxing day in the garden...pics your garden? And a hub? big_smile

18. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I love how we all act like the adults we are here roll
    You either agree with everything I say or you are the enemy...

1. profile image0

See I don't get that? Why defan all of one person's friends just because you don't like that one person? Makes no sense whatsoever and would definitely be deemed as childish.Why let bad blood between one person cause friction between yu and the other friends you had? If you can't put that difference between u and others aside and just ignore that one person but keep the frends you had before, it's really pathetic

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

roll

actually what i meant to say is i unfanned those, like you, who made snippy little comments on lyrics' behalf.

impartial people like fastfreta, for example, i am still a fan of. i hope this clears up THAT mini-conspiracy.

now, as to "witch-hunting"....HubPages is the one who allows anyone to see the IP address of people commenting their hubs. what is wrong with that?

nothing, absolutely nothing. i am sure there is a reason for it, n'cest pa? hmm, i wonder what that could be.

taking advantage of that nifty little feature somehow makes people "witch hunters"? riiight...then i guess everyone here is a "witch-hunter", by that convoluted logic.

now, you guys LOVE to say how "harmless" sockpuppets are...really?

so, when they come back in a fake account and go and start following people they KNOW want nothing to do with them...people they have hurt and said abominable things to...that's "harmless"?

oh please.

well whatever i have to go back to doing my taxes. and CW, next time you post a 'poor me' thread for some Grecian tragedy like breaking a fingernail, i will be sure to avoid it.

2. profile image0

roll fine by me Cosette...just shows you have no heart nor care about others or something like forgiving others...I didn't know the whole story so sorry about that but whatever. be rude that's fine with me

3. profile image0

Oh and last time I checked I wasn't being snippy. Just suggesting something since I didn't know what was going on so EXCUSE ME for living roll

4. profile image0
      Norah Caseyposted 14 years ago

We do not care about sockpuppet accounts. The problem here is that one HubPages user is unpopular with a group of HubPages users, particularly those who frequently use the forums. This is not McCarthyism, or Nazi hunting, or any other volatile, emotive comparison offered in this thread and others. Individuals who do not get along are bickering with one another over a forum on the internet. Let's try to keep this in perspective.

As moderators, we cannot be responsible for making adults play nice with one another. I can't force all of you to be friendly towards one another, or learning to avoid people you do not like. I can email individuals and ask them to not respond to childish and petty remarks, but as is often the case with the internet, it is much easier to reply than maintain self-control and easier to ignore an email than consider its contents.

As long as a site user obeys the Terms of Service of HubPages, I welcome them. Unless they were previously banned and created a new account to circumvent that ban, I do not care if they have multiple accounts. I have plenty of reasons to make myself a second account, as I'm sure many of you do.

I appreciate the concern directed towards the many, many forum posts and threads about sockpuppet account holders, but bringing it up in a new thread does not allow the dust to settle. I've closed previous threads on this topic to avoid banning people, not to silence dissent. These discussions easily lead to people typing things they do not mean, and a ban allows lingering animosity to fester.

Please, continue to flag messages you perceive as harassment. Send us an email with your concerns. But most of all, avoid those you do not get along with. Instead of responding to petty attacks, flag it and move on.

5. yoshi97 profile image56
      yoshi97posted 14 years ago

Zoiks! This is even better than the Star Wars Saga!

Kids ... kids .... kids ... This is a forum, not kindergarten recess. As adults we are supposed to all be able to get along. And when we feel bullied, we do deserve the right to report that behavior to a higher power.

No one watches the news here ... do they?

A young girl hung herself a few days ago because she was constantly bullied. And while that happened in real life, much of that bullying also occurred online and had just as much (if not more) of an effect.

How so? You can forget the taunts when you are away from the person, unless they are there constantly staring you in the face online. This kind of anger and pestilence actually harms people, and those who think differently have the mindset of a bully as they believe anything can be said without harming others.

We're all supposed to 'toughen up' and accept it. Well, let me tell you ... those were the famous words of my stepfather when I was a kid ... during one of the many times he took the belt across my back ... just because he didn't think I was 'tough enough'.

Is that what we want? Do we want to harden each others emotions to the point that nothing matters? I do understand the concept of 'onion skin', but I have seen people here have to tolerate a lot, and that's just not cool.

That's why I'm not around much anymore, as I'm tired of the few who think it's okay to 'toughen up' the many. You're wrong, and the worst part is you will never accept that.

If you had a rough childhood I respect that. So did I. But that doesn't give one a license to bring the ill to others. As my grandma used to say ... 'If you have nothing nice to say, then just say nothing.' But that's difficult for us, as we see a need to push others over the edge, and then we wonder why they come back at us kicking and screaming.

Let's not be panicked over our own inventions when they get out of control. If you create a monster, then it's of your design to protect the masses from the evil you have done.

Bullying is a terminal illness of society that seeks to devolve us into mindless Neanderthals, clubbing each other for supremacy. If many of you choose the club then I assure you that you will soon discover you will need to turn it on those of similar want, as bullies then turn on each other when there are no 'easy targets' left.

We don't need any new rules or devices to stop this madness ... we all just need to grow up and leave behind our kindergarten recess. And if what I just said made you mad you really need to sit down and think why it did as I targeted no one with what I have said unless they were an actual bully.

1. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yoshi, thank you for sharing what must be a painful childhood to prove a very valid point.  It's refreshing to see you again.

2. h.a.borcich profile image61
        h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have to fan you now! Holly

6. profile image0
      WizardOfOzposted 14 years ago

I reckon it would be quite the challenge to banish any1 from anywhere online with a free signup.  Cmon.  It ain't that hard to flick your modem on and off, bang out a new yahoo or live account, you could sew a new puppet in less than five minutes.

Half of hubpages membership could be staff sock puppets.  I for one would be far from suprised.

The funniest thing is how serious people get.  If you have a gripe, let it out, just called a spade a spade.  No need to rant.  The staff and their puppets and whoever else is probably just having a chuckle.

A writing site, not so sure.  I have never been convinced too much on the market valuation of this site nor the offer of a writers community.

There are so many ways of looking at creativity.  Creativity is not just art.  But business is an art also if you get my drift.  The dot com bubble and bust we saw a decade ago is probably repeating itself, so what?  The internet is not unlike the real world, it isn't fair, so what?  So what on all this stuff. 

Ive had a few wobbly incidents here before so I am now the Wizard.  It is not as if anyone is going to get famous or rich or boost their artistic integrity by authoring articles on hubpages but you can have some fun, meet some likeminded people and/or you can make a few dollars or learn some tricks and make some big dollars if you put in the effort.

Or you can sit on the forums and troll, why the hell not?

7. profile image0
      pinkyleeposted 14 years ago

I have said it before and I will say it again... though nobody wants to seemigly admit it there are cliques here and everyone that has said if you dont like it ignore it.

I dont get along with everyone though I try and I have had my run ins but worked them out as adults.

now I ignore something I dont like except for the occasional and very rare outbursts

Like I have said before everyone here is great in one way or another and even if they are here on a different name there are still very real people behind those names.

seriously y'all just let it freaking drop and move on please

8. The10DollarMark profile image60
      The10DollarMarkposted 14 years ago

OP, maybe you're overreacting?

I'm a "sockpuppet" account (as clearly stated in both my accounts' bio) and I never felt like anyone was trying to stop me from having multiple accounts. Hey, I've even posted in the forums with both accounts (though never around the same time, and never for any sneaky purpose) and I've never been 'bullied' in any way.

Maybe those sockpuppets who are bullied are doing things worthy of people complaining about them? Like people who create sockpuppets so they can chat in the forums after being banned - obviously those sockpuppets should be reported because, if you did something wrong in the forums, you should be punished and accept that punishment, not try to go around it. Especially when you consider that most bans (at least the ones I've seen) are only about 3 days long. Surely people can stay away from the forums for three days. It's not like it's that hard to catch up on posts.

Yes trolls exist everywhere in the internet, but that doesn't change their trollish behavior from being immature. We shouldn't just stop the sockpuppet "council members" from pointing them out just because 'other people are doing it'.

It'd be nice if there was another word for legitimate "sockpuppet" accounts, like mine, that are for categorizing/security purposes. But that's up to us, fellow hubbers, to create that word and spread it around. I like "alt"; it's nice, simple, and already in the common web vernacular.

9. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 14 years ago

As per the forum rules, deceptive use of multiple accounts in the forums is prohibited.  If you suspect that someone is using a "sockpuppet" account in a deceptive manner, you can always email us and let us know.  While we may not be able to confirm or deny your suspicions due to privacy concerns, we will investigate and take appropriate action on our end.

Harassment is also against our rules.  If you are being harassed through the HubPages system (we cannot interfere in matters conducted over private emails not sent through our contact form), once again, please email us and we will investigate and take appropriate action.

However, we do not generally interfere in public disagreements.  If someone accuses you of something, and you refute the accusation, that is that.  HubPages is not in a position to mediate he-said-she-said arguments.  To avoid this kind of brouhaha, email us with your concerns rather than "calling someone out" in the forums.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)