Hamburger Helper Meals--You use them?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (71 posts)
  1. Michael Willis profile image66
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

Hamburger Helper makes so many different varieties of meals now. They are easy to make, but can be a little bland. Do you use Hamburger Helper Recipes? Do you spice them up?
    I like to use the Hamburger Helper recipes as a "base" for a recipe. I change it up by adding spices and vegetables and whatever I can to make a great dinner.

1. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I add thyme and crushed red peppers.  Because of the size of my family I also ad elbow macaroni to add to the volume.

Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I always add to the recipe. lol I will use more meat at times. With the Mexican hamburger Helpers I add quite a bit more to the recipe.
        I am planning on writing a series of Hubs for Hamburger recipes with additions to them.

That was funny Nifty.
          Well, I went a head and published the first hub for Hamburger Helper Meals. I think they should do well. A lot of people use this item and I am just trying to show how you can spice them up for a better taste...especially for those who enjoy the hot and spicy flavors.

2. profile image53
        baby4luv250posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your reply to my message, you can send me mail to my e-box [misslillian4luv40@yahoo.com] Can you give me your e-mail, so you can send a message to tell me more about yourself
        Hope to hear from you soon
        Cheers
        Lillian

2. nifty@50 profile image69
      nifty@50posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The joke goes... how is Hamburger Helper like Dan Quayle? They're both in your cabinet but you really don't want to use them!

1. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I bought some of the Hamburger Helper meals years ago, just to try them.  Then I thought, "what a waste of money!  I can make it myself from scratch!"  Now, that's what I do - make it from scratch.

2. Specialk3749 profile image61
        Specialk3749posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have/do use Hamburger Helper on occasion, but I am trying to get out of the habit of using any processed foods.  What I would like are some good "Hamburger Helper" recipes from scratch.  Does anyone have any of those?

I know what you mean specialk. Once I have created that "special recipe" from a Hamburger Helper package, I then will set out to make it My way instead without the H-Helper.
          A lot of recipes I make come from ideas I got from others and I change them.

2. Rafini profile image82
          Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

cheeseburger macaroni:

fry hamburger, add macaroni & water, after macaroni is cooked add milk butter & cheese.

HH stroganoff

fry hamburger w/onion, add potatoes & water, after potatoes cooked add cream of mushroom soup (I didn't know then how to make it myself) add sour cream.

I add curry powder to my Stroganoff.

3. profile image57
        patspnnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes i use them but have to watch the salt

3. profile image0
      lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Michael you might want to check out hamburgerhelper.com they used to have some great creatives on there.

I have. I will use them as a link for sure. I see some ideas they have there also I have not seen before also.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
          Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You should get some red wasp helper.  You could make a hub from the recipes.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
            Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Recipe?

Is this some strange new meaning of the word that I was previously unfamiliar with? How can you have the words "recipe" and "hamburger helper" on the same page? wink

LOL,...well...for those who use these for the quick meals...I am hoping to share some ideas how they can spice up the Hamburger Helper Meals. And I may get some ideas from others here who use them.

Bu I know what you mean Mark...I prefer to make food from scratch, but I admit to using a HB-Helper from time to time as the "base" only for a recipe to create.

My latest - which I have yet to write up:

http://bestamericanfood.net/wp-content/uploads/DSC00615.JPG

Hamburger - brie, caramelized onions, and bacon.......

I know you write some good food hubs here Mark. I have read them and enjoy reading your food hubs.

Try this. My wife was like "what? you are kidding..." but - it worked . big_smile

2. Jane@CM profile image60
                  Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh my, that looks amazing.  I guess it is time to cook dinner.

3. TheGlassSpider profile image64
                  TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

*looks at her dinner...looks at Mark's...sighs...puts her fork down* Damn, man. I think I'll do better just lookin' at your picture.

What kind of Brie? From where?

I live in France, so .... Brie. big_smile

http://bestamericanfood.net/wp-content/uploads/DSC00614.JPG

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64

LMAO...You lucky dog. tongue You know it can be difficult if not impossible to get the real versions of (some) cheeses in the States.

Nice pics. Lookin' forward to the Hub.

4. profile image0
                  Home Girlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Any nutritionist will run away screaming! Not good for your cholesterol, not good.

Now...if it ain't good for you, it must taste good!!!

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

cholester-what? big_smile

1. profile image0

the thing you get,when you eat too much of a good thing or may be it gets you instead, not sure though. I know somebody has to get something that's for sure. You cannot get away, at least coupla of pounds should stick to your ribs!

5. Michael Willis profile image66

Yum. That looks delicious Mark!!! I will at times caramelize my onions for hamburgers. Something else I like is to thinly slice zucchini strips and marinate them and cook them till tender and place on burger in place of pickles.

6. blondepoet profile image66
                  blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Omg how divine. Darn I wish they had hamburger helper here in Oz. I need all the help I can get. sad

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
              Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://www.hennightcostumes.co.uk/ekmps/shops/sticksgalore/images/sexy-cook-chef-costume-55-p.jpg

I thought he meant this kind of helper.

Hmmm, that kind of helper sure would heat up the Kitchen!!!

1. blondepoet profile image66

I go to my neighbor's house for dinner, not only is she sexy, boy can she cook!!!

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/iBrandonHopkins/redchef.jpg

2. TheGlassSpider profile image64

Rot! Look how skinny that woman is...you can tell just by looking she wouldn't know her way around a kitchen! wink

2. Michael Willis profile image66

yeah Ron...add 1/2 gallon of gasoline, 1 quart of oil...mix well. next...spray over the area until well coated.   Wearing safety gear, light a long, very long candle wick and wait a few minutes and you have Fire Roasted Red Wasp.

(Caution...you will lose the home in the process!)

4. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

EWWWW - I can't stand HH - aack aack aack lol

LOL, that is why I will change them up and add spices.

1. Jane@CM profile image60

And the spices help?  Just joking with you Michael.  I'm a home cooking freak.  I do let my son to eat Mac & Cheese out of the box because he does not like the homemade version lol but he has to cook the box stuff himself smile

Now there are wonderful recipes for Mac and Cheese also. I have a hub on such a one.

1. profile image0

I stick to my celery... and spinach. Yum-yum.

5. wyanjen profile image70
      wyanjenposted 14 years ago

We should cook up a ton of Helper and have a dinner party on the Redneck Houseboat
      big_smile

HH is good when you're single like me. Dinner for two days lol
      But - not to be a snob - they changed the seasonings in the Lasagna Mix and I don't like it now. It used to be my fav but I won't buy it anymore. HA HA

There you go. Did you know that Hamburger Helper is a staple for the Redneck Cruise Line menu?

1. wyanjen profile image70
          wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here is another personal fav:

When your single & broke & you want to pretend you are cooking yourself a meal:

Spaghettios and franks. (That's the fancy way to say hot dog)
          But - ya gotta buy the regular Spaghettios and put in your own hot dog. Much better quality. Chop it up, fry it up, dump it in the O's and you've got yerself one fine meal.
          Garnish with some smashed up saltine crackers. Best served in a giant mug instead of a regular old bowl.

tongue

6. profile image0

what does brie taste like? I don't believe I've ever had it.

Gosh, lynne...this is a REALLY tough question. It's got a wonderful creamy texture, with a sort of earthy - eggy kind of thing going...I prefer mine without the rind, while others like to keep it on. I find the rind kind of bitter and moldy tasting. It's something worth finding and trying. The flavor changes based on the cheese's age as well...some people like them younger and chalkier while others like them older and more pungent.

Pasteurized versions (what you'll find in the US) are generally pretty bland, and "official" ones are from the Brie region of France; they are made from raw milk (au lait cru) and have A.O.C. terminology on their label (a legal declaration that this cheese is 'proper'). There are also Italian "paglia" style cheeses that are similar in flavor and texture. I highly recommend them if you get the chance to try the real deal cheeses.

7. profile image0

Cool, I had always wondered about it. May have to try it. Thanks for the wonderful description.

No problem! I hope you find some! smile It's great stuff, and there are all sorts of great recipes you can use it in smile

8. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

I used to use Hamburger Helper frequently when I had less time and more people to feed at home. It tastes surprisingly good, though a bit salty-- but I am becoming more leery about things that contain so many processed and chemical ingredients, and also becoming much better with cooking whole natural things.

The varieties of products in their 'helper' line, can be an inspiration for something that is really better for you-- and doesn't have strange processed ingredients.

1. wyanjen profile image70
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've got a fairly good Rice-A-Roni knock-off made with my own ingredients so I can control the salt.

You're right on about the processing. The best shopping advice is to buy food that doesn't have labels.
        I don't mean generic lol I mean fresh whole food that has not been processed.

1. Jane@CM profile image60

Fresh is best!  Have you hubbed about your rice recipe - always looking for new rice ideas!

Brie - YUM!  I think we get pretty close to the real "french" version from our wonderful WI cheese heads smile

Yes, this is true...many American cheese makers have caught on to using the kind of time-consuming and expensive (but slow and low-temp) pasteurization processes that result in legal milk (in the U.S.) and cheese that actually has flavor that isn't burnt or non-existant. However, should one ever have the opportunity to partake of one of the original, raw-milk versions from an artisanal/traditional/A.O.C. cheese-maker in France, I submit that it would be quite a different cheese experience, and one most certainly worth jumping on. smile

9. IntimatEvolution profile image67
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years ago

Heavens yes, my family lives off of Hamburger Helper.smile

10. Michael Willis profile image66
      Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

When I was younger, a lot younger, lol...I used Hamburger Helper a lot. It was a cheap meal.
      Now, I just take the H-Helper and add extra spices and others ingredients to make them more flavorful. I guess partly because I just enjoy experimenting with recipes and seeing what I can do with them. Especially creating a recipe for those who like Hot & Spicy meals.

11. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 14 years ago

Gee, here in the Deep South, we use all kinds of helpers: possum helper, squirrel helper, coon helper, buzzard helper, gator helper...

Got that right, Habee. And for the Veggie-tarian we got Polk Salad.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Road-kill helper?

Around here we have the helpful turkey buzzards that keep our counry roads from being 2 ft. deep in dead squirrel.

3. Michael Willis profile image66

And I love some Good Raccoon cooked!!!

12. wyanjen profile image70
      wyanjenposted 14 years ago

You've got plenty of meat at home. Be polite and have some ketchup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkExpbnjsX8

13. TheGlassSpider profile image64
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

LMAO BP...where DO you get this stuff?

LMAO wherever I can GS. smile smile

14. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 14 years ago

NEVER TRUST A SKINNY COOK! Words to live by.

1. Sab Oh profile image56
        Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would say the opposite!

15. blondepoet profile image66
      blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Now a serious question. How do I caramalize onions?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90

Put them on a stick and dip them in melted caramel.
        (oops, non serious answer.)

Seriously-- slice them in rings or dice them, saute them in a thin layer of oil-- (in a fry pan) on medium heat, keep stirring so they brown evenly-- until they are  nice and brown, tender but still slightly juicy..

Haha Rochelle thank god you added the second bit, when I read the first part, I was just about to write back and ask what type of caramel to use.
          Thanks so much this is something easy I can do, I always thought it meant adding a little brown sugar to caramelize, this is cool.
          smile smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90

Most veggies-- and onions are a good example-- have a natural sugar in them (even if it doesn't seem like it) Sugars will brown, -- you will notice that the onions do develop a "sweeter" taste when you cook them down and brown them a bit.

You are so right Rochelle. I love to caramelize onions for hamburgers also. Same with zucchini.

16. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years ago

i don't use Hamubrger Helper but that little talking oven glove is cute wink

17. cupid51 profile image68
      cupid51posted 14 years ago

I don't like hamburger! I would rather prefer rice!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)