Intelligence, how does low IQ impact communication?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (91 posts)
  1. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

When you are communicating with others, how much is it going to matter how "smart" they are?  assuming, of course, that you are all discussing a topic that interests you!

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
      Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hate to judge people. I know we're all smart in different ways and all that, but maybe a higher IQ would be indicative of a broader intelligence and comprehensive thinking skills.

And interest. Most people aren't interested in the same things as others. I could care less what happened on American Idol last night, and you could care less about my ideas regarding the possible futures of our society.

So yeah, alot of conversations just aren't going anywhere much.

2. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course it matters how smart they are.  Conversations we have with people less smart are frustrating because they cannot get past their own levels of undestanding - as it must be for people more smart when talking to us.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image62
        TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OKay, I can understand what you're saying here, but what about the idea that there might be something to learn from a "less smart" person even on a subject that one is "smart" about?

Another question: how much of what we consider "smart" is culturally based?

1. mega1 profile image78
          mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

question:  is there anything to learn from a "less smart" person on a given subject?   often, yes, very often - that's why everyone does well to keep their mind open and listen!

question:  how much of what we consider "smart" is culturally based?   I don't know.  I think of "smart" as being bright and willing to learn and having that open mind - therefore probably none of it is culturally based, even though what could be considered "smart" in the sense of "knowledgeable" in one culture wouldn't be so smart in another.  but technically that knowledge would be attached to intelligence - and it has been demonstrated that IQ in one culture is extremely different than IQ in another.  Smart probably crosses cultural boundaries, don't you think so?

I don't know either, really...I'm just thinking and posing questions and seeing what other people say.

Perhaps the ability to learn crosses cultural boundaries (i.e., all people have that ability to varying degrees, I suppose), and what is considered valuable or useful "knowledge" or "intelligence" may change depending on one's culture?

1. mega1 profile image78

exactly -  that's what I think, too.

I think the whole question re: smartness, what it is, how it works, who has it, how to use it - is very complicated. 

I like your open-minded style GS, always have.  Plus you are funny and fun.  I don't agree with what leanman said about your dried up web glands - hahaha  although that was pretty damn funny.  that was a fun thread - where sarcasm was de rigeur!  I loved it - i'm gonna go dig that up!

Aww, thanks mega! That really means a lot to me. I try to always remember to take a "not-knowing" stance...but sometimes I fail...LOL.

Can you believe that leanman?! I think he's just jealous *shimmies her web glands* these babies are in perfect working order. He's just making fun of what he can't have wink

(I was having a lot of fun in there, too...darned work impeding on my HubTime...LOL)

2. profile image0
            ThatGirlFrankieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree that it does cross cultural boundries. Being smart or intelligent is all about a persons ability to learn.

1. Rafini profile image82
              Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the ability to learn is more along the lines of the capabilities of intelligence, whereas the ability to think basically shows intelligence.

imho  smile

2. alternate poet profile image67
          alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The point was about the communication - not the content.  Communication is about exchanging ideas and so degrees of smart matter as the more the ability to think bigger or further or whatever the more widely you are talking and so the person still talking at ground level is not interesting - unless they are being taught something.

The content - that is a different story - the information that is being exchanged is what we are learning, some really good teachers are not so clever but they know their own subject and can pass it on with passion and a deeper understanding of it than we get as we pass their subject by.  The same goes for clinically 'stupid' people, my experience of this is that they can tell us more about love than we will ever be able to grasp with our supposedly normal IQ.

3. Ben Evans profile image65
      Ben Evansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think many people use and veiw other's intelligence to fortify their strata in life.  Our intelligence also puts us in cliques according to our aptitude and vocation.

While some discussions are dependent on a level of understanding.  An example would be:  An IT expert talking to a non-computer user.  This is going to be a onesided conversation.

However when we turn our nose and we look at people and start labling people as stupid, we start looking at people as not worthwhile.
      We lable people according to their wealth, their sexuality or lack there of, their emotional state, and of course their intelligence.

Of course when two people are talking regarding a subject matter that is not understood by one person, it will be hard to have a conversation.  When we try to stratify oursleves into elite catagories, we cloak our eyes and we dont have a chance to see the rest of the world.

We can divide who we are and try to look down on others but this is just a start of intelorence which leads to hate.

I know that the context of this thread is to say two people of different knowledge backgrounds will have a hard time communicating. 

I do want to say, however, it is destructive to a peaceful society to label and exlude people according our own elite order.

Wow. Once again you knock my socks off and humble me with your reasonable and compassionate response. You're batting a thousand! Thank you for your thoughts. I couldn't have said it better...and didn't. smile

4. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I find with liberals I have to talk slower and use smaller words...alas, they still don't get it! big_smile

1. ceciliabeltran profile image64
        ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the statement and the picture gives me dissonance.

1. profile image0
          Poppa Bluesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was hoping my comedy would provide a catholicon and sound a chord of consonance on the subject.

comedy appreciated lol

5. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Huh?smile

*snicker*

6. profile image0
      Justine76posted 13 years agoin reply to this

doesnt matter to me, but most people I know claim to be smarter then me and wont talk to me much,they like to talk down....

2. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

Pandora - I have to reveal right now that this thread was created out of a discussion Cecilia and others and I were having in that thread about whether Stupid people could really talk to Smart people -   she said if she had called it  "Intelligence, how does low IQ impact communication?" instead of  "Can Stupid People really Talk to Smart People?"  nobody would have come. 

So I posted this thread to find out whether anyone woulod respond.  I actually like this title - because it assumes that we have intelligence.   I always take offense at the word "stupid" because I'm wired that way.   So that's what this is really all about.

And, now that you're here I just want you to see that I am not judging people, far from it.  When I post a thread I assume that people who aren't interested at all in the topic won't respond.  And when I am talking to people in the real world I know we all quickly change the subject(s) until we do find common ground or if we don't we don't keep playing with each other.   

I think its fun to watch the threads get tangled - watch the subjects go of six different directions and see who people are by how they respond and what kind of things they laugh at.  But when someone just resorts to "poking fun"  I either get irritated or bored.  blah blahdy blah blah.

anyway, at least you did show up here and even if we are very different - I would talk to you!

3. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

so, I guess, since its ok to be serious here, I'll just say that what bothers me is when someone enters into discussion of a topic without really having knowledge of it but because of huge ego problems can't just admit they don't know something and ask for information.  Most people won't belittle others for not knowing all the answers about a subject - most people will actually admire another person for actively trying to get ALL the facts before they develop their own opinion on the subject.  So many times I find people revealing immediately how ignorant they are of a given subject, yet vehemently and churlishly pursuing their opinion as if it were the only "right" way to think!  man, that pisses me off!

I hope you're not referring to me in the religious forums!  LOL
      Occasionally I make the mistake of going in there because I think the question is looking for real answers LOL  too often it doesn't occur to me the forum question is posted for Debate!  At least, not until someone politely reminds me.  LOL

1. northweststarr profile image61
        northweststarrposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ooo, I'm going to have to go to the religion forums.  What fun! wink big_smile

lol

I have learned to remind myself to LOOK first before jumping into a thread!  lol

Oh goddess, why did I do that? Aaaaahh! sad

big_smile

i tried to warn you  big_smile

I've also promised myself I'll never go back, but...sometimes...those subject lines look too interesting  lol

They are aren't they? I just wanted to "explore my ism." wink

4. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Huh?

5. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 13 years ago

Poor reception maybe?smile

6. profile image0
    ThatGirlFrankieposted 13 years ago

If your iq is poor, let's awknowledge that your reasoning cognitive thinking skills are poor. Part of being smart to me is having a firm grip on common sense but this too is effected by intelligence.. The ability to problem solve. Also effected would be your ability to take in what's going on around you, keeping one from being fully able to keep a point made in conversation in context. This would then effect the lower IQ'd persons ability to communicate effectivly or contribute valid points. This all varies based on the conversation had. Basic communication by way of body language is also off the mark because of a lack of boundry understanding or commonly used signals people use to instigate and guage different reactions. I feel like I just spoke in circles!

7. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

Yes, but then there's always that it is difficult to know how "smart" someone really is here in the forums - writing in these boxes and waiting for a reply and then getting distracted by another thread or a tv show or something - and sometimes people sound like they really don't know anything and then you check their hubs and they have exquisite writing skills or alot of knowledge about something you didn't even know existed!  Man, this is a fun place.   And sometimes when we get on a good topic the conversation soars!  and sometimes people are so funny I nearly pee myself laughing - well, and then you find out that person who made you laugh hysterically is on the other side of the world living in a very stressful situation and its just awesome! awesome!  so basically, I don't care much how smart people are, as long as they are communicating - its all good!

8. ceciliabeltran profile image64
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

Wow, this is a good forum! I'm glad you posted it. Maybe I'll read more tomorrow!

1. mega1 profile image78

it was your idea!  and I am very glad you were wrong about it!  heh heh heh!

I know right, it such a rich topic! And i think the one I started is losing steam. smile

9. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

What more can we possibly say about this?  I have definitely learned how to communicate better in the forums, but sometimes I just don't want to use my new knowledge and I act like a stupid pig!  I could see a doctor - maybe I will!

forums are a different animal as you cannot use your hands to calm people down, your eyes to show your joking and your tone of voice to show you mean well. It is really a great exercise as a writer to learn how to communicate better through words because you get real-time feedback.

1. mega1 profile image78

well said - exactly what I would have said if I were only more intelligent!

wow, that is a compliment I cannot accept for it is inconceivable for me to think myself more intelligent than you. smile (girlfriend!)

10. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3132/2831972828_b18618c5f3_o.jpg

thanks, kitty cat. now run off and catch something using your reflex while I deliberate on sending you to a chinese restaurant.

1. Obscure Divine profile image59
        Obscure Divineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We go to a Chinese restaurant nearby, and the "Teriyaki Cat on a Stick" is totally scrumptious!  Mind you, the protein content is still higher than the common forms of "road kill" that they use for the entrees at the cheap, all ya can eat,  buffet!

your chaos is organizing in my brain and is beginning to form a pattern. smile

Oh, no!  It hasn't even organized nor formed a pattern in my brain, yet!  Chill out, on the telepathy!  smile

what i meant was you are beginning to make sense, in your own weird idea of sense.

Whatever; ha-ha!  That's funny, in its own oddity of madness.

you're sometimes like a cactus with a pink flower on top. prickly but decorative.

>decoratively prickly is not very useful<

11. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Wow, interesting thread!  So, how does low IQ impact communication? 

Let's put it this way: 

Communication between various IQ groups gives the persons with a higher IQ the opportunity to learn how to communicate with someone with a lesser IQ, while giving the persons with a lower IQ the opportunity to grow and learn from the persons with a higher IQ.

This is, of course, if you believe one test determines one's ultimate level of awareness - which is not true.  People, as in Homo sapiens, are intelligent in different forms and/or ways - from one to the next, much like other forms of life have heightened senses that we could never even begin to understand.  The vast animal kingdom, alone, proves such things...

No, I believe this is true whether or not a test is involved.  It has been proven and is the reason behind mainstreaming disabled students into regular classrooms.

One short, limited test proves awareness & knowledge, huh?  LOL! 
          Well, one could say it would definitely weed out the mentally challenged folks, but that doesn't say a lot, considering you shouldn't need to take a test to determine that. 
          Plus, the tests aren't accurate.  I'm unbiased, considering I've took a few tests over the years and have seen numbers as high as 160 on the average/total...and up to nearly 180 in the intuition section of my tests - from the so-called IQ results.  I know I have a lot to learn, and by having a supposedly high IQ, I know that the tests are a load of crap - if that makes any sense.  wink

What does this have to do with communication between low IQ & high IQ?

It means we all learn from each other and our surroundings; communication is a must!  big_smile

yes....and?  how does your previous post (on IQ testing) relate to how low IQ impacts communication?

You support the so-called testing, I do not.  On that post, I was just saying the IQ test is, overall, a load of crap.  ...There is no need to taint the actuality of my last comment, when I said that "we all learn from each other and our surroundings; communication is a must!"

somebody failed the mensa exam *snicker*

2. Rafini profile image82

Where did I say I support the IQ test?  hhmmm?

It is rather obvious there are IQ discrepancies throughout the worlds population, and all of these people need to communicate with each other.  Correct?  So...how is this communication impacted when it is obvious there are discrepancies in IQ?

12. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I read somewhere that Intelligence Quotient or IQ is really a measure of your ability to learn, not how much you already know.  So when you take an IQ test they are just saying that you either have an exceptional abiity to learn and can demonstrate that, or not so much.  I think most tests are bogus because some people have learned to take tests better than others and do well, even though in learning situations they may not be so good.  But they say these modern IQ tests get around that somehow - trick questions or something.  Anyway - I learn alot from everybody, smart or not so smart - but mainly I learn the most from rich people.  lol

lol
      Send them my way, will ya? 
      lol

13. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

rich men, actually!  lol

lol
      Send them my way, will ya?
      lol

14. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

should I just put up a sign:

ATTENTION:

ALL WHO ENTER HERE, LEAVE YOUR IQ'S BEHIND!  ALL YOU WILL NEED IS AN EGO!

lol

2. ceciliabeltran profile image64

That's from the classic Dante's Inferiority Complexes.

15. northweststarr profile image61
    northweststarrposted 13 years ago

Personally I don't care what someone's IQ is as long as they know what they're talking about, can make me laugh, or really believe in what they are presenting.  That being said, I do have a problem with complete ignorance or intolerance in a writer. Too many people write "nonsense" hubs around here and that really only belongs in the forums. But it's nice to see a forum about something other than what I ate for breakfast or who's mad at who on hubpages.

1. mega1 profile image78

I'm having an oatmeal cookie and coffee right now!  lol

also, this morning I published my latest hub about slang words I use!  is that what you mean?  big_smile:

Of course not, you know you make me laugh mega!  I love your nonsense! wink  Going to that slang hub right now.... big_smile

Oh god, I backpedaled! Did I backpedal? I'm so bad at confrontation! sad

backpedaling nowadays is just breaking so that you don't hit the tree.

big_smile big_smile big_smile

2. Rafini profile image82

I agree, it's nice to have an interesting topic to discuss....

16. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Best Answer on IQ ever :

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/934488

lol lol

17. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

obviously the intelligence of a few of you is not just low, but entirely missing!  and mine as well?  of course.  now.  hmmmm.

the question at hand is . . . who wants some nachos?

no, I'm quite sure that wasn't it.  (whining) I don't wanna go back to the OP and find out!  I'll just talk about shoes, then.

Oh, No, no, no, No!  I wanna go back to Nachos!!  lol

Can I have some?

18. andromida profile image57
    andromidaposted 13 years ago

Low IQ might result in misunderstanding in communications or even a fight smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)