How much of the Bible, especially Revelations, do you feel is relevant

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (29 posts)
  1. ntljhn profile image61
    ntljhnposted 14 years ago

Do you feel that Revelation, in particular , how the signs are supposed to be incredibly apparent to God's children, is taking place in this day and age?

1. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

First mistake in interpretation.  The signs will NOT be apparent and were never meant to be apparent to the worldly mind.  All the scriptures are relevant - none greater than another.  The scriptures and the events in the world around us must be viewed with a gospel "lens".  In other words to discern life around us accurately one must study and apply the gospel in their lives.  Only then will they begin to understand how God really works His wonders upon mankind.

Many of the events in Revelation have taken place but can only be seen through the gospel "lens."  Revelation is filled with imagery as was used in the old language.  The imagery is symbolic of world conditions and condition leading up to the coming of Christ and the resurrection of all mankind.

2. MJFande profile image64
      MJFandeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

goldenpath, I very much agree with you on this (The Earth will eventually be gone someday and nobody will be able tell you exactly when. No matter what your belief system is, this should be apparent; e.g. Stars explode, nobody can be sure of exactly when, and the sun is a star; You are Christian, hence you are familiar with the phrase, "do not believe anyone who claims to know when these events are to take place.").
      I would also like to point out what may be happening in the world today. The year 2012 is fast-approaching. While a few sources throughout time (Mayan and Aztec calenders, and their connection with the Egyptians. I believe there is also something in ancient Chinese culture) put Dec. 21, 2012 as the end of the CURRENT EARTH CYCLE; not the end of the world.
      I believe with this knowledge that we can assume SOMETHING will happen, but it most likely won't be the end of the world.

1. MJFande profile image64
        MJFandeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

BTW, I didn't mean "you" (goldenpath) specifically. I just meant "you" as anybody who is Christian.

2. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think both of you are right! There will be changes and we must be prepared.smile

1. Hokey profile image60
          Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The bible contains great teachings but as far as your last post goes sneak it is common sense. Life is change. When that date does come it will mean nothing but another day. Not trying to make people mad but I believe Revelations to be ramblings of a lunatic. You can not have prophesy and free will. They negate each other.

3. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that they are taking place in this day and age.
      They are finishing up in this day and age.

Why do you suppose Jesus is seen as a bloody Lamb of God as if it had just been slain when he is opening the seal judgments?
         Why was he depicted in this manner?
         One minute John was weeping because no one in heaven or earth was found who was worthy to take the book. and the next minute The bloody lamb was standing opening the seals. ?????

The seven seal judgments were inflicted upon that Hebrew Nation who had just rejected and killed him; Just as Jesus told in the story of the evil husbandmen that killed the son of the owner of the vinyard.

The prophesy of Revelation   "began"   their fulfillment around 30 AD and have been unfolding through the ages ever sence.

4. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We recently had a debate on this topic - the most interesting and maybe most obvious conclusion (of that debate) was that it could very well be the end for god's children - that is - the end of monotheist religion.

And about time too.  The replacement for religion is long overdue and hopefully will be more rational, more acceptable to more people, and about the basic tenets of love and peace that the current teachings are supposed to be based upon - and which they then over-write with hate, hellfire and damnation.

1. Sab Oh profile image56
        Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry comrade, but religion isn't going away any time soon. Just be satisfied with yours.

5. nikki1 profile image60
      nikki1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I totally believe in the bible/Revelations smile
      Its very relevant. Its Gods and his sons life.
      What they did.

6. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

my favorite part - and what I feel is the most relevant - is Matthew 6: 5-16

7. Jaggedfrost profile image61
      Jaggedfrostposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It takes a person who considers himself to be very wise as to discount any scripture until God himself removes it. As a student of scripture, there is much in Revelations as well as other such esoteric books that was intended to leave its impression on the reader for them to consider and study life to appreciate the hand of God when it moves.  there may be some of it that has already happened but until all of it happens few if any will be able to nail down what has or hasn't and what exactly happened when as it was spoken of by who.

2. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 14 years ago

I consider all of the Bible to be relevant. And the prophecies mentioned in the book of revelations are especially applicable to this day and age.

3. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

food for thought.     
       I would also say that the Bubonic plague of the 14 century was when the first bowl judgment was poured out. (Rev 16:2)

4. ntljhn profile image61
    ntljhnposted 14 years ago

I agree with Jerami, while all of you are correct, the question does not revolve around one specific sentence but the general descriptive story of key signs to look for before the Son Of God returns. For instance, with over 200 quakes that have taken place so far this year alone ( that fact was stated on CNN earlier today ), the sentence stating " ...and there will be earthquakes in diverse places.....", when I heard that on the news today, my mind immediately snapped to that specific passage (another quake has hit China and there are 64 dead at last  count ).

I want to state the exact verses, but, I do noy have my bible here at this location as we speak. But, I tell you this, I will try my best to correlate factual, recorded events with Bible Scripture, as well as Holy Q'uranic texts that describe the disbelievers in this advent in time, when the signs were plain to see amongst those that do believe in God's Sovereign word ( as it applies to the Apocalyptic Verses ).

One specific event to watch is whether we will see the Pope dethroned. Many scholars believe that Catholicism was referred to in the instance of the beast with ten horns. I am only restating what I have read and I am not in any way trying to insinuate conjecture, but, the summary of the analogy is when the last of the beast's horns fell, that is the moment that Christ will  appear. Not as a loving Christ but as an avengeful Christ that will make war , and defeat the devil over a period of 1000 years. Many scholars have compared that last horn with the Roman Catholic church. The horn representing the fall of Catholicism.

Do you think that is near with the beginning of a few Catholic priests speaking out and demanding he leave the papacy due to covering up a sex abuse scandal that he denies as "rumor". Watch the related articles and please scrutinize and dig deep! I know I will! I will be watching these stories develop and post  or reply accordingly.

Thank You for your comments and participation! Feel free to reply,
    ntljhn

5. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Sab Oh ...Sorry comrade, but religion isn't going away any time soon. Just be satisfied with yours.
    =========================================
        IF we are to understand prophesy we have to stop interpretating it to suit our own imagination
       I am stating what is actualy written in the KJV of our bible.  It is clearly written in scripture, if we can just keep ourselves from interpretating the truth out of clearly stated passages.
       In the book of Daniel; Gabriel gives us the ("key") interpretation of these simbols that are represented in the book of Revelation. Gabriel has interpretated them, they need no further interpretation. If we are to believe what is written in scripture we must not change a single one of these meanings
       I think that there will soon be an end to Religion.
       There will be no place for "Religion" in Gods presence.

The very last two signs will soon unfold, the 7th trumpet being sounded and 7th bowl being poured out. All others seal, trumpet and bowl judgments have already been accomplished.
        These last two are to come at the last minute, before we destroy ourselves. We will bring ourselves to the brink of destruction first.  And THEN ...???

One such KEY to understanding prophesy is to understand that In Matt. 24:3 Mark 13:  Four desciples came to Jesus
    "PRIVATELT"  and ask him when are these things going to be?
        Jesis answerd them PRIVATELY and personaly.....       
    "When YOU see..."  "When they take you before the synagoge"
    "When YOU hear hear of wars and rummers of wars  "KNOW" that it is near"
        Verily I say unto "YOU" this generation shall not pass till all of these things be fulfilled but no one knows the day or hour.."   He wasn't talking to some generation to come some 2000 years later.
        The BEAST (Rev.13) can not do his job if everyone knows who he is; so he has to hide the truth of prophesy under a ton of false interpretations.

The seven seal judgments WERE inflicted upon that generation; "that" Hebrew Nation that killed their messiah instead of anointing him as described in Daniel 9:24.
    That Hebrew Nation that ceased to exist in 135-138 AD.
       It was after this that the trumpet judgments were handed out and began being fulfilled one at a time over the next1000 years.
       And then the bowl judgments began; starting with the bubonic plague (1340 ish)
       We need to stop believing Interpretations and read scripture as it is written.

6. profile image52
    The Czarposted 13 years ago

This might raise some eyebrows and spark a bit of controversy, but if you do some research on the book of revelation (especially through the Church fathers) It seems, at least a good portion of the time, to be a mystical description of what takes place during the Catholic mass. Obviously, there are parts of revelation that refer to end times and things of this nature, but a good portion really does seem to match up with elements of the mass. I cannot go into detail here, because that would require explaining the catholic mass which would take up pages. Suffice it to say, that early Christians did not get as worked up over Revelation as we do now in our sensationalist world.

1. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've been trying to raise some eyebrows since I arived.
      All that I can get are a few rolling of the eyes.

What no one wants to recognize are the timeframes that are consistent through out prophesy.
         These are of great significance or they would not have been included in scripture.
          Until we study these references and understand that language, there will be no correct understanding of these prophesy.
          These timeframe references are all lined up like dominos waiting for someone to put their finger on one of them.
           .....  "and they all fall down" ....

And you are correct The Czar;  The Catholic Church is very
      much involved.

7. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

0%.

8. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

There is so much in that OP to consider.
    "incredibly apparent" is precisely the phrase.
    I would has no, it is not apparent.
    With all certainty, from personal experience with a wide variety of approaches, there is little of any actual visible proof. By the same token, it is strongly believed that the teachers of this Amazing New Life have no idea themselves. They really to not teach, rather enjoying the title of preach.
    Yet, the words they preach point to exactly their own failure to teach about those apparent abilities...

There seems to be a new veil over the eyes of people, who still remain complacent -though zealous- and apparently are expecting Him to do all the work, while they sit and 'woop-woop' in sing-a-long or spew fire-brimstone at those outside. I refer to that as hissing and gnashing of teeth. An old custom when someone was venomous toward another....

9. liber profile image58
    liberposted 13 years ago

The beast in revelation almost certainly refers to Nero.  If you break Nero's name into Hebrew letters and then sum their value you get 666.

All the early Christians believed they were living in the end times.  Jesus even told his followers that they would not die before his second coming.  And they believed him.

John the revelator was almost certainly writing about the events in his own time with some metaphorical code.

Every generation has thought they were living in the end times and each has been wrong. I would be surprised if this generation has any greater claim.

10. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 13 years ago

I think we live in the time if the acceleration of things... and some who are paying attention and have lived long enough to see it... do.

Yes I feel the bible and revalations is very relevant to today's world.

11. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

I think if you follow the golden rule and use what gods givin you then you'll be fine. If he truely created us he knows we may stray, as long as we come back to him we'll be alright.

12. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

Ok you got me.

When it comes to Revelation I need help but I like watch on TV
    John Hagee when he teaches on Revelation as he appears for me to unveil the mysteries with such passion you can almost hear the angels blowing those trumpets.

http://www.jhm.org/ME2/Default.asp

People today do seem to mirror the action fore told in Revelation.

1. nikki1 profile image60

A true speech will move you, so to speak. Thanx for sharing.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Trying to make money from women with breast cancer? I have flagged your hub "Ways to cure breast cancer" as misleading garbage parroted from the Internet.

<snipped text of another users's hub>

Dear me. Jesus would be proud of you trying to screw a few adsense dollars from sick women.

No morals. None. sad

2. nikki1 profile image60

Correction on the comment.

2. nikki1 profile image60

Meaning?

13. allpurposeguru profile image74
    allpurposeguruposted 13 years ago

All Scripture is inspired. That doesn't mean that it's significance is immediately apparent to everyone who looks at it. Sometimes its meaning requires repeated reading and study over many years. Even if someone does understand a passage on first reading, meditation on it over the years will bring out new meanings as a person's life circumstances change.

As for Revelation, get a hold of a Bible (any translation)that is printed in such a way that you can easily distinguish between prose and poetry. Then look at the poetry and notice how much of it has become a part of our hymns and other sacred music. I don't try to make Revelation line up with the six o'clock news and try to learn something about end times (which surely started as soon as Jesus rose from the tomb). I just worship through it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)