Britain's airspace shut down by iceland volcano

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (38 posts)
  1. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

No flights leaving from the Uk until at least 6pm and maybe longer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … rists.html

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hmm

that ash cloud doesn't look like it will be abating anytime soon. i know someone who's supposed to fly to germany on may 1. i hope it clears up by then...

2. sarovai profile image73
      sarovaiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Before nature, Man made things?

2. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I've just been reading about it Hypno. All except emergency flights grounded because of volcanic ash from Iceland. Fascinating stuff, though glad I'm not one of those stuck at a UK airport waiting for a flight!

3. CMHypno profile image82

One of the people I work for has had their flight to italy cancelled today.  Its not just the UK, Sweden, Norway, ireland and Denmark are all affected and it could end up affecting most of Europe.

4. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

Of course flights grounded means none are allowed in either, in the whole of northern Europe.
    Lets hope there is a high atmospheric storm to blow it all away.

5. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

The effects on commerce will be a real kick in the wrong place to these recovering economies too. sad

6. CMHypno profile image82

Also pity the pilots on long haul flights that have to come into land anyway despite the ash, or be diverted to another country to land.

Also a lot of ash in the atmosphere might really affect the weather in this hemisphere over the summer

7. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

The whole north Atlantic weather pattern was already getting affected by the two massive icebergs that have blocked the mouth of the Mertz Glacier in Antartica, where cool waters enter the deep global oceanic waterways that affect world weather.

Incoming flights can't risk flying in affected areas. The ash clogs up the engines. I think it was 1998 a BA plane nearly crashed after losing all engines when flying through volcanic ash.
    They'll all be diverted if they had already left.

8. CMHypno profile image82

The flights have now been grounded until at least 7am tomorrow morning - one of the problems will be that even when things get going again that so many planes will still be on the ground in the UK that there will be problems for people trying to fly into the UK.

There is also no guarantee that the volcano will stop erupting or that the winds will shift direction.

Apart from the travellers misery, the UK and European economies really do not need this

9. CMHypno profile image82

Flights from and into the UK are now grounded until at least 7pm this evening and experts say the eruption is intensifying.

Still an ill wind and all - Euorstar tickets are sold out, there are no hotel rooms available in London as there are so many tourists stranded and the ferries are selling out

10. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 14 years ago

I was fortunate enough to fly back from Italy on Wednesday. If my return had been planned for the next day I would be stranded at the airport now. I feel very sorry for the people who are affected by this; but relieved that I got home when I did.

I heard on the news this morning that the alternative ways of travelling home to the UK have put up their prices for would be travellers.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Only natural.... increase in demand means increase in price. I have a friend stuck in America. Not really a bad place to be stuck, I wish that I could get stuck somewhere!

11. 2uesday profile image65

I suppose that is right - it is down to supply and demand putting up the cost.

I think some people must be spending on their credit cards to get hotels and meals near the airports. For me it would have been difficult sitting in a crowded airport lounge waiting for news of when you can get home.

12. CMHypno profile image82

UK airports are now closed at least until 13.00 on Sunday now, and BA and Ryanair have cancelled all flights until Monday.  Qantas have cancelled all flights into Europe indefinitely.

Hundreds of thousands of people are stranded around the world, and food importers have warehouses full of food and fresh flowers in various countries that are rotting because they can't be flown into the UK.  This crisis is causing businesses to lose millions and they are saying that by midweek there is likely to be a shortage of some vegetables, salad and fruit in UK supermarkets.

Any mail for the US is being trucked down to Southern Spain where the airspace is still open.

And just to really help matters the French rail workers have gon on strike!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8627545.stm

13. 2uesday profile image65

thank you for the update CMHypno - it is awful news though. I hate airports at the best of times - how terrible to be stuck without a way to get home for so long.

14. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

My parents were meant to be flying over to the US from the UK on the 20th for my wedding on the 1st of May. Looks like that may not be happening any more, which is a bit of a bugger to be honest!

1. Mieka profile image63
      Miekaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh that's terrible! I hope things will get sorted soon Oli! Best of luck to you!

2. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Can't you postpone the wedding a month or something?  these things are not so cast in stone as they appear and usually not such a big deal to change venue times etc - I would prefer to change arrangements and have my parents there if it was possible.

It is a bummer isn't it!

3. CMHypno profile image82
      CMHypnoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's really sad news Oli - hope they manage to get there.  My brother and his family are on holiday in Florida, so I hope they can get back ok next week.  I have some other friends in Fuerteventura who will not be able to get back this weekend, and some other friends were due to go to Egypt this morning.  It's badly affecting a lot of people and will probably cause some businesses to go to the wall and create job losses

15. Origin profile image59
    Originposted 14 years ago

I must be living under a rock, this is the first time I've heard about this.

16. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 14 years ago

I am out of the country and will be flying back in June - but the opinions on how long it can last range from a few days to a few months.

Afraid to book my flight now, maybe I will just start walking!

17. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

My brother in law is stuck in Egypt yikes
    They all work at local schools and the kids obviously go to schools lol
    Poor them, no work or school on Monday! (I hear the kids actually LOVE their schools, so they may be a bit disappointed). With travel insurance they should be kept comfortable as they wait for news but I don't think they can go do more sight seeing sad

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image62
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow kirstenblog, I had no idea that that is what you look like. I had pictured something entirely different! A friend of mine lives in Cambridge (England, not MASS) and is stuck in Boston at the moment...

18. ngureco profile image81
    ngurecoposted 14 years ago

It’s too unfortunate. There are millions of dollars worth of fresh flowers, fruits and vegetables destined to Europe all going to waste here. The shutting of the airspace is indeed affecting the economy of the entire world

You just have to wonder how many farmers in Africa and other countries could potentially lose their livelihoods if this does drag on for months and even whether any of the airlines will go down.

19. CMHypno profile image82

Some spectacular photos of the volcano erupting!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne … rope-.html

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Those are some great pics!
      Sad situation but I do love the force of nature smile

I think that it keep us real, Kirsten.  Just when we humans think that we can control everything, mother nature comes along and shows us that we can't and dont't!

2. profile image60
        logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are some awesome photos so the lightning strikes above the volcano on Weather.com!

20. jayjay40 profile image66
    jayjay40posted 14 years ago

My son's girlfriend should be back from Vegas today, now she's due back on the 27th. She is a caretaker at the local school, so the school may have problems tomorrow when the kids go back.

Apparently there is likely to be a lot of missing teachers, support staff and pupils when the schools go back tomorrow.  There are also some operations not taking place, because the medical staff have been stranded.

21. sagbee profile image56
    sagbeeposted 14 years ago

This is a sad news.. Valcanic erruption is a natural calamity and one cannot avoid it.. Though it has affected the business a lot and airspace.. people are struck in the mid ways and its really sad that it will continue till few more days.. :-(

22. ngureco profile image81
    ngurecoposted 14 years ago

Other than now, has this Eyjafjallajokull volcano ever erupted again in the past? This volcano may continue like that for a week

It last erupted in 1821, and that time it carried on spewing an ash cloud for 2 years!

1. ngureco profile image81
        ngurecoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Can we therefore say chances are high (up to 75%) this time it will continue spewing ash clouds for the next 2 years?

And a big worry is that it's nearest volcanic neighbour Katla will also erupt, as they have a history of erupting simultaneously. And Katla is a much bigger and more powerful volcano

23. susanlang profile image59
    susanlangposted 14 years ago

Very nasty ash clouds, I have a flight to the UK in July. Geez, I hope things clear up by then.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)