I'm cooking lamb overnight any suggestions?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)
  1. FranyaBlue profile image73
    FranyaBlueposted 14 years ago

I have decided to do some mutton for tomorrow and wanted to cook it slow overnight. I was planning on sticking it in the oven and thought I would see if anyone here has any suggestions or tricks for making it tasty!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lamb is great if you add rosemary and garlic, and a touch of olive oil. Mix it together and brush on the lamb. It is very tasty.

2. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

Hi, FranyaBlue-I really don't know much about lamb, but my mother used to low simmer it overnight in a dry white wine with tons of seasoning.  I'm sure there was something else beside the wine in there, perhaps a broth or even water.
    All the best...can I come over? lol

FranyaBlueposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well I got the tons of seasoning and the water! lol 

Thanks

1. Obscure Divine profile image62
        Obscure Divineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Worcestershire Sauce works wonders, seriously...  Soak it in that stuff and see what happens.  big_smile

I have heard of people using Worcestershire Sauce with lamb but I never tried it. Isn't it a bit strong?

1. Obscure Divine profile image62

Yeah, but most of it cooks out.  I mainly use it for the tenderizing effect.  Plus, it does have a good taste.  If we were dealing with beef, I'd cut it half & half with Italian dressing.

I am feeding too many people tomorrow to really experiment too much. But I might try the Worcestershire sauce thing soon as I'm stocked up on lamb at the moment. Will let you know how it goes.

2. sarovai profile image73
      sarovaiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For cooking or for Sharing? smile

3. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

what cut of lamb?
    i usually soak the lamb in tomato, onion & juniper berry overnight to draw out the bitter (if mutton).
    try salt-pepper-cumin-dry mustard rub- for like an hour on the lamb, then grill it medium medium-rare.

goes great with a cucumber-yogurt sauce!

mmmm cucumber yoghurt sauce smile

Yeah I think I am leaning towards the tomato thing coz I use tomato in just about everything! and onions of course.

I was thinking of doing a kind of oniony garlicy thing. I once had this really nice lamb cooked with onions and garlic and it was all sticky and yummy.

Forgot to say that it's mutton chops. I never normally get mutton chops but I bought a whole lamb to stick in the freezer and so that's how I ended up with them.

2. Obscure Divine profile image62

Do you really think she is going to have time to gather all of that up in a few hours?  Plus, you was late on the hub that explained all of this in a more elaborate fashion.  big_smile Hmm, there ya go, make a hub on the best way to cook lamb.

Besides, my idea was cheaper & quicker, and I'm also biased towards Worcestershire sauce since it has marinated me many a good steak!

But seriously, if you have the time, Franya:  The hubber "Twenty One Days" is a professional chef and knows what he is talking about.  I was just giving you a quick fix for a hasty culinary quagmire.

Well thanks to the both of you. Even if I don't use your suggestions tonight I still have plenty of lamb to be cooked up! and I do like cooking so I will give them a try. Definitely the worcestershire sauce one, cheaper is better now that I'm a full time student again.

2. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

tongue

thanks OD.
        ps, indeed Wor`shire is good stuff. old chef i know owns stock in it. My hub came late indeed, but yummy. big_smile

4. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 14 years ago

Worcester source is very good.  Alternatively,you can mix honey with mustard and paint it all over the joint before cooking it.  Even better, if you have some rosemary, cut small incisions under the skin of the joint and stuff sprigs of the rosemary into the skin.  This combination will make a delicious joint.  The honey will go quite black by the time you are ready to serve it, don't worry it will taste great.  And don't forget to rest the meat for at least 15 minutes before carving it.  I'm having a leg of lamb tomorrow myself and will be cooking it this way; yummy!

Thanks! All of these suggestions are making me wanna eat my lamb NOW forget giving it to the guests! smile

5. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

Don't forget a nice Bordeaux or Médoc to wash it all.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)