Harley Davividson versus the others

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (60 posts)
  1. profile image0
    woolman60posted 14 years ago

Which one would you ride, cast your vote.

Harley Davidson
    Kawasaki
    Honda
    Suzuki
    Yamaha
    BMW

1. LarasMama profile image59
      LarasMamaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Kawasaki - because my dad rides one. smile

2. wordelangelo profile image61
      wordelangeloposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I waited for 20 years to get a Harley because I knew what I wanted. A friend I went to college with had one. After I brought brochures home for years I finally got one. Now, I've traded for a second one and even though times are hard (I'm barely hanging onto it), I know it was all worth it. I knew I'd be disappointed if I got anything else because I had it set in my head. I'm married, with a daughter about to go to college and a son about to go to high school. As Popeye said, "Iyam what Iyam." But it's a personal preference. I don't slam anybody else's bike. You ride whatever you choose because you like the feeling of being on two wheels--painting the highway lines with your toes on curves, being closer to the moment on a bike. You do what you can to be in that moment. Word.

1. patp profile image58
        patpposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are correct,  I have a Harley, but think all bikes are nice in their own way. Variety is the spice of life.

3. profile image0
      woolman60posted 14 years agoin reply to this

1978 Harley shovelhead, got this bike when I was 18, bought from my neighbor.

4. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd ride any of them. I owned a Kawasaki and I now own Harley stock.

5. profile image57
      BillQuakeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

billquake. There is nothing that beats a Honda. Why? Because they are quiet, quiet ,quiet.

6. Cagsil profile image72
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Honda. wink

7. patp profile image58
      patpposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Definatly Harley Davidson, 2007 Heritage Softail.

8. profile image52
      dantedeniroposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Harleys- Don't start, don't handle and don't go. big clunky devillbis compressors that sound just like a compressor. Overpriced and why is that when you buy a new one, first thing to do is re-jet and change the pipes? Why? Then buy gaudy black outfits that all other hareley heads wear...very weird stuff.
        Get a Honda, most reliable and most sales ever in the world.

2. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

I've owned a number of brands.  Started with a little Kawasaki, 72 mpg, saved me from walking endlessly around San Diego for years.  Put the most miles on a Suzuki Intruder 1400, with a 36 inch set of aftermarket handlebars--loved the bike except for a few weird design details which were nasty.  Had a little Honda Hawk when money was short, ended up giving it to a close friend.  He, at nearly 300 pounds, and his wife at a similar weight, sometimes rode that thing TOGETHER; how it survived that, I've no idea.  Had one Yamaha, most topheavy beast I ever rode.  And a couple of Harleys--the only brand I never dropped; their balance is quite frankly better than any other.

But when my wife got too ill to  straddle the back seat, I quit riding.  Took a lot of the fun out of it.

3. Lynda Gary profile image60
    Lynda Garyposted 14 years ago

Unequivocally, HD!  I even have an HD tattoo. Nothing beats the sound of a Harley...

4. alternate poet profile image66
    alternate poetposted 14 years ago

what is a harley ?

5. cocowboy profile image61
    cocowboyposted 14 years ago

HD is my first choice, but I like the old Yamaha Virago's and a few Honda's too... but when it comes right down to it.  there is nothing like a Harley on an open road.

6. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Harleys are tractors with two wheels that handle like a block of apartments! smile

I like genuinely fast bikes that handle and are good to service, so it is Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki in that order.
    I have been riding since very young and owned bike shops for many many years.
    I did love my 38 1200 Harley with reverse gear and sidecar though.

7. ilmdamaily profile image68
    ilmdamailyposted 14 years ago

Gonna rock the boat here - BMW.

Once I win the lottery.

Until then though, Kawasaki or Harley Davidson ;-)

8. WHoArtNow profile image82
    WHoArtNowposted 13 years ago

None of them, I'm a Triumph man myself. Got a Street Triple R and a Daytona 675 and I wouldn't swap them for anything in the world! Ok, so I wouldn't mind adding a Buell and a KTM Duke 3 or Super Duke to the list, but I won't get rid of my Triumph's!

Plus they're made less than 10 miles from me, so I got to pick them  both up direct form the production line and have a tour, awesome place!

9. Padrino profile image61
    Padrinoposted 13 years ago

You forgot Triumph!

As for the way a Harley handles, it takes a man with a set to handle one.

1. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You could have three sets, they still handle about as well as a block of flats!

10. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Triumphs motto "As I live I leak! " lol

1. WHoArtNow profile image82
      WHoArtNowposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As a Triumph fan, I laugh with your comment...

As a Triumph owner, I laugh AT your comment! In the 3 years I have owned my Daytone 675 it has leaked once, and in the year and a half I have owned my Street Triple R it hasn't leaked once!

They are much much better than they use to be. They had to get better to compete in these modern days of Jap quality.

True they have improved. They still leak though!

If my Honda Goldwing which is 20 year old leaked one drop I would have a fit! smile
        I have had 4 or 5 singles a few twins and a triple Hurricane in my stable from time to time. .... something about an old triumph.
        I road a new Triumph last year, it is not the same, but it went real well and had brakes! smile

11. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 13 years ago

Harley's are a status bike, very noisy.

If you like to ride buy a bike for it's performance and handling characteristics.

I like Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Honda... grew up with all 3 brands. I love to ride, but I'm just in too much fear of the idiot drivers.  My only bikes now have pedals, and I'm still in fear of people in cars.

1. profile image0
      woolman60posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you have watched too many Easy Rider type movies, not all Harley’s are loud and what is this status thing not all of us look at owning a Harley Davidson as a status symbol, but an opportunity to ride a AMERICAN made motorcycle. These bikes are built to last and it is a choice to own a loud or quiet bike, try one you might just like it. At my age, these racing style bikes are not for me, comfort and style is what I look for. Look these up and see what I mean.

Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic
      Harley-Davidson Road King Classic

12. leeberttea profile image57
    leebertteaposted 13 years ago

I had a Kawasaki, but now it's only Harley's for me!

13. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Harleys are annoying.  I love how they look but the sound just seems like a cry for attention. I admit I probably have more vitriol on the issue than most, given that we have a couple in our neighborhood that have two, and they constantly show them off to friends and ride around the block for twenty minute intervals hitting it hard over and over and over, the roar echoing through the neighborhood as if grenades are going off in everyone's back yards.  Makes reading in the yard really hard to do... hell, makes reading inside really hard to do.  I'm sure it makes them very happy, but it's kind of a big F-U to the rest of the us. Which I'm sure they're fine with LOL.  I wish I could find a way to make my writing annoy them back with equal regularity.

1. leeberttea profile image57
      leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Loud pipes save lives"

But they don't have to be loud. People usually make them that way, some for safety, some because they like the attention.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL - that's a good description; some (i mean some) that ride - make way too much noise and don't go very far.

14. Wayne Orvisburg profile image63
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 13 years ago

I ride a Yamaha. I was able to get a brand new cruiser that was big enough for me at a much smaller price than a Harley was going to cost me. So far, it has been a great bike!

15. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

I've owned several bikes.
    3 were "Harleys."
    I could'nt keep them in the garage 'cause they leaked oil so bad.
    I'd have to park 'em outside.
    I'd never buy another one.I rode behind friends who owned "Harleys." The noise is deafening. I told 'em if I couldn't ride "front," I wouldn't ride with 'em again.
    There are 3 bikes I love: kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda.
    I did an incredible 8000 mile trip on my KZ 750. Road my Suzuki 650 all over the USA and Canada.
    I never had any trouble with any of them and they are "QUIET!"
    I now own a prima 1986, 4 cylinder 700 Honda 'Magna' with almost 100k miles on it and it still runs like a new bike.
    I have never ridden a Harley that could compare in any way to any of the "Jap" bikes I've ridden.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60

i love my harley......as a matter of fact i'm picking it up from my mechanic tonite - I added some more chrome!!  had my pipes wrapped a month or so ago - love the look - doesn't have anything to do with performance unless you are actual racer.

I really like the look of the Indian, Triumph, BMW, Love Rice Rockets (I learned that term recently), all of them basically...and in particular like to see the old ones (over 50 yrs) that have been restored.  My mechanic has 2 oldies - 1 from 1923 and the other a few years older.

1. qwark profile image61
        qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My 1st harley was a 1935 V/L flathead 74 with 19" spoked wheels...suicide shift...had to pump to keep oil pressure up..you think todays Harleys are loud? ...:-)
        Iv'e spent more time, and ridden more miles on my bikes in the USA, Canada and Europe than most riders I've spoken to.
        No "crotch rockets" for me.
        I want a nice comfy low rider, with a 'sissybar" to pack my goodies to and lay back on, with my feet stretched out and my heels on pegs as far forward as I can find a place to screw 'em on....a good windshield ..and I want "silence"...nothing but the sound of the wind when I'm not wearing a helmet.
        I salute all riders as we pass, even Harley riders. Many of them do not return my wave. Screw 'em! I'm riding a better "bike than they are! muahhhahahahahaha!  :-)

16. Lily Rose profile image87
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

From your list, Harley Davidson, without question.

My husband used to have a Big Dog and THAT would beat out all of the ones on your list as my top choice..

1. profile image0
      woolman60posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Big Dog makes some awesome bikes, what did he own  a Coyote or Bulldog, but I got to tell you the choppers they make are really nice.

But I gotta stay with my Harley's

1. Lily Rose profile image87
        Lily Roseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't remember the model name, but it was a chopper.  I'd post a picture here if someone could tell me how...

17. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

i'm going to have to see what a Big Dog looks like.  I'll be back........soon......

18. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd92/evangelisthall/extremebiking.jpg

You mean this!????  it's all i could find.

Seriously, I took a look and yes the Big Dog line is nice - I like the coyote!  They look expensive too btw.

19. earnestshub profile image79

Boy that is a crazy chopper! This has nothing to do with motorcycles. More like a plow!

How would you like to keep your arms that high for 100 miles? lol
    Harleys don't go, they don't stop, they don't handle so I guess this is as good an idea as owning a stock one. smile

20. earnestshub profile image79

I spent almost 30 years listening to riders talking about their bikes.
    As a pro, the main thing I noticed was that Harley riders couldn't ride, so getting an opinion from them was a waste of time.
    If you cannot snow ski, you may as well go down the slope on any old lump of wood. Same with bikes. If you can't ride you may as well own a Harley! lol

1. qwark profile image61

Earn:
      why do you have it so right?   lolol
      My bud next door has a $33,000 Harley he keeps in an aluminum trailer back of his house. Never rides it 'cause gravel may fly up and hit his incredibly beautiful gas tank and "ding" it...lol He pulls it and the trailer to spots he will ride on, then after short rides, sits and polishes it for a couple hours b4 loading it back into his trailer....what the F**k!
      lol
      What's that all about?

He would be better off putting a plough behind it and using it as a tractor! Harley motors seem to be designed with enough torque to pull stumps. Make a much better tractor than a motorcycle. lol

I have owned a couple of Harleys. The first was a 750cc WLA.
        My 250cc B11 250 BSA was faster than it! smile
        The other was a 37 1200 flat head with reverse gear that I used to drag a sidecar with. The reverse gear was handy as the thing weighed about half a ton! smile

1. qwark profile image61

Jesus! I didn't know they made one with a reverse.
          Even if they weren't so damned expensive, ya couldn't convince me to own one....well, maybe for pullin stumps and clearing my property...lol

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60

hey not fair!!  i see from your other posts you're what i call a speed demon - especially if you used to race them.  smile

21. earnestshub profile image79

The Russians made a 650 boxer twin with fittings for a plough. It was named the Ural after the mountain range, and was without doubt the worst motorcycle ever built.
    It was a copy of the BMW R60/3 which has earls forks and was a fine motorcycle.
    The problem was, where the BMW used roller bearings the Ural used brass (not even bronze) bushes! lol
    I had one with under 100 miles on it. Second motor! smile

1. qwark profile image61

Never hearde of teh "ural" Earn.
      I do like the BMW. I jsut dont like the twin opposed cylinders.
      I've always liked 4 cylinder bikes.
      I never liked water cooled. I always felt that if sumthin' happened with the radiator while travelin' across our deserts, i'd be sh*t outa luck. My Kz was the best bike i've ridden for long trips...it's lite enuf I could take it off road if I wanted to...and it was air cooled..that little 750 had "balls!" I like my Honda Magna. Light bike, smooth on the road , comfy and it's shaft drive. No more chains for me...

22. earnestshub profile image79

Like you, I am not a fan of horizontal twins. Having said that, the four cylinder and 6 cylinder Honda boxer motors are unbreakable. The KZ750 was a good machine, and being air cooled had it's advantages alright!
    The thing with the liquid cooled motors was that some of them could be stressed to the max. smile

I had a TS250 Suzuki that I went crazy with. When I finished it was so hot it hardly had a barrel left! It was almost all ports! The expansion chamber was very technical to get the flow right, and took me weeks to design.

I have never ridden a 250 single as quick as this thing, so I put road tires on it and road it to work for fun! smile I spent about half my ride on one wheel. What a buzz. smile

1. qwark profile image61

Hahahaha...ive never had the balls to do "wheelies." I'm just a "wus."  lol
      I'm 60 now and sure as hell ain't gonna try one...lol.
      Oregon is very mountainous.
      Great place to ride.
      My ridin' name used to be "Hardass" 'cause once I got on the road, I'd only stop for gas and
      a dump."
      I've slowed down tho...doin' more ocean fishin' than ridin'.

23. earnestshub profile image79

I bet you can still ride pretty good though.
    I'm getting old too, but it's seriously in my blood to go fast. I still ride quite a lot. Wheelies are easy at any age.

When you are learning, do it uphill. Very hard to go wrong. the bike comes up easier, stays up better and lessens the risk of flipping it.

I scared myself a while back. Got to ride a new 230HP hotted up 1100! Too fast on the road. I get to ride it on a racetrack next week. That should be fun! My reflexes have been getting slower for 10 years now, but I am coming off being pretty fast to begin with though. I raced for Yamaha for a while. smile

1. qwark profile image61

Earn you are an thrill junkie...lol
      Naw, those days are gone for me.
      I've got life by the nuts and ain't gonna chance gettin' my butt kicked doin' sumthin "thrillin!"  :-) I fly ultralite planes ...thats scary enuf for me....lol
      I rode an 1100 suzuki, my buddy's bike. He was too little for it. Feet didn't touch the ground when he stopped. I'd get him on an off the road tour...and end up pickin his cussin' body up too many times....lol.. anyway, I was ridin' a 650 suzi at that time...christ! I was doin' over 90mph in 2nd gear on that 1100!! Too much power for me.
      That damned KZ 750 tho...if ya hit it hard in 1st gear...the front end wanted to come up...lotta torque.
      It's past midnite...i'm gonna hit the sac.
      good talkin' to ya...:-)

24. moserrao profile image57
    moserraoposted 13 years ago

that you need to find:)

25. leeberttea profile image57
    leebertteaposted 13 years ago

http://www.1320group.com/assets/images/BikerChick1.JPG

26. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60

dreamin' this morning? smile

1. leeberttea profile image57
      leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it's a personal weakness.

27. caravalhophoto profile image60
    caravalhophotoposted 13 years ago

Raised with Harleys in the garage...still own two Harleys and I am sorry, I love the loud pipes and of course the vibrations are totally awesome...even with the loud pipes, I have kicked many vehicles that still do not seem to hear the noise.
    Bottom line...freedom on a bike is awesome, love to cruise, love the noise and any bike is a way of freedom for someone, mine just happens to be a Harley...I owned a Hardley (Honda) when I was learning to ride.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60

Yea - freedom....and riding is really good for my mental health when i need the break.....heading into the US Saturday (maybe Friday depending on weather) for a 3 day ride...it'll be fun

1. profile image48
        J13Smileyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Suzuki gsxr600.  smile For me, if it's not fast, it's not really worth it!!!

2. earnestshub profile image79

In my circle, Harleys are called Hardly's, or highly dangerous, hardly rideable Hardly reliable etc.
      When I first started riding and building Japanese bikes for racing we had some harsh names for them too at times, but mostly called them all Jap crap!

BMW CZ DKW, Jawa Adler,BSA Norton, AJS, Matchless, Ariel, Velocette, Triumph were all the rage when I started and some of them were very well built. The DKW 350 twin two stroke stood out as an exceptionally good fast bike of the time, with as much pace as many of the big four strokes.

28. Motor leathers profile image61
    Motor leathersposted 13 years ago

I don't remeber who said it, but the phrase reflects my opinion: "I used to ride a Harley untill it became fashion". My situation is just the same.

29. hdsportstergirl profile image60
    hdsportstergirlposted 13 years ago

Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 with Vance and Hines Pipes.  Without doubt, this is the hottest of the Harley's.  Of course, I'm prejudiced.

30. profile image49
    suemccartinposted 13 years ago

I'm a fairly new rider, bought a 1997 sporty 883 (Harley Davidson) with mostly stock pipes etc. The EVO engines on the sportster are a tried and true technology. The engine has been around for years and has a well deserved rep that if you take care of it the engine will go forever.  Yes, a bit loud, but loud pipes can save lives..I believe that.  I would much rather ride an american bike and an american four wheeled cage than give my money to a foreign country.  I'm not a crazy driver, the sporty is light at only about 500 lbs and is very stable for us that are getting used to being a rider.

My complaints are few. My sportster is a 1997, it's carburated with a manual choke, you have to sit there for ten minutes to get it warmed up enough to ride(unless you've got the touch to make it go without stalling, I don't have the touch, my friend does). Second complaint is the location of the left side foot peg.  Up to 2000(may be 2002, not sure)the left side foot peg (at the regular position, not forward) is attached to the primary chain cover..so if the bike goes over on the left side, when the foot peg contacts a hard surface you're more than likely going to have a transmission fluid leak that has to be fixed by tightening all the primary cover bolts and maybe even a new gasket.  The newer sporty has the left foot peg attached to a piece of metal that comes up from the bottom of the frame and could be said that it helps protect the primary case from damage.  The newer sportys are also now fuel injected.  Those are really my only two complaints about the sportster.  I haven't ridden any of the bigger harleys, the sporty has tons of upgrade opportunities, a few aftermarket parts and a sporty can easily do over a hundred and be quick getting there to boot,.  The sportster is sold as the 883 or the 1200 the difference is a few parts..it's exactly the same engine with some different pistons...I don't even believe any boring is necessary.  I have no desire to go much over 70 but I'm just saying. I'm about to sell off my 97 to a friend, I'll probably get a newer fuel injected bike that's post 2002 to get away from the foot peg on the primary cover issue.  My bike head friend says a carburated bike has more upgrade potential but he understands that I really don't like sitting for ten minutes waiting for it to warm up because I can't figure out just how it is that he can drive it cold without it stalling (lol).

Anyone that doesn't like Harleys is entitled to their opinions but I bet if you owned a cheap Sportster 883/1200 you might have a different opinion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)