Groupon - Biggest Disappointment Ever?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (36 posts)
  1. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I am a big fan of finding money off coupons for restaurants and bars, so when I saw the numerous city targetted adverts for Groupon I was, as expected, rather excited.

So imagine my disappointment when I saw that they expected you to PAY for some rather meagre discounts. It is true that you still save a little money when you buy a groupon coupon, but lets face it, why not just search for the free coupons instead?!

The site looks good, but I think I will stick to spending a little extra time searching, than spending $15 on a $20 money off voucher.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it's no deal. unless you have consistent amounts of disposable income, can schedule to use the Groupon and not lose your money.

2. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

and you're surprised!  Don't feel bad, my wife bit the same hook and gave it up rather quickly.

3. profile image49
      sliceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I completely disagree - Groupon is awesome!

The first comment that stated you pay $15 for a $20 discount is completely WRONG.

All of the Groupons they offer are at least 40% savings, but usually 50%-70%.

The food deals are great to use for 2 or more people, since they don't apply toward tax or tip, but who doesn't want to save $5-$30 on their meal?

I've bought some groupons for $5-$10 that I use for work lunches, and I've purchased Groupons for many different cities, for gifts - I use them all the time. And you earn rewards every time you look at a Groupon deal or when you purchase one or refer a friend. So far, I've earned $40 in absolutely free Groupons just because I participate a lot.

They've recently started offering Groupon Rewards that you can redeem at famous chef's restaurants - like several of the Top Chef and Top Chef Masters celebrity chefs. I mean, who ever heard of getting a 50% off coupon for a famous restaurant like that!

4. Karonher profile image60
      Karonherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have bought a few coupons from there.

£10 for a restaurant who took £30 off the bill

. £5 for a ticket for two on the Big Wheel - should have cost £15 for two and a wine voucher - again pay £10 and get £30 off the bill.

Not sure what some people are expecting if they are not happy with this.

If you get something for nothing - there is usually a reason why it cost nothing.

2. PackSecure profile image60
    PackSecureposted 14 years ago

I was wondering about them, as one of my posts has their advertisements listed.  Thanks for the information.

3. lender3212000 profile image59
    lender3212000posted 14 years ago

Thanks for the tip! Sounds like one to avoid.

4. Nicole Winter profile image60
    Nicole Winterposted 14 years ago

I still feel like it's a good deal if you really need something, (manicure, pedicure, sushi,) and it happens to be offered that day.  Has anyone used it and had a bad experience with it?

--- NAW

5. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

What a rip off, I'll def give that a miss!

6. momcar12 profile image60
    momcar12posted 14 years ago

Signed up for emails, but have never used any. Read the fine print, sometimes offers are for places with multiple locations ~ it may exclude the location you want/need.

7. jobister profile image59
    jobisterposted 13 years ago

Well groupon has special deals with local restaurants and other vendors. With discounts for us consumers. I have used them multiple times and I am very satisfied with the service. It is very easy to use and if the Deal is not on then the people purchasing the groupon do not get charged. I wrote a post about it, check it out and tell me your thoughts.

8. DowntroddenInDC profile image86
    DowntroddenInDCposted 13 years ago

We've used similar sites were we bought $50 gift certificates for $20 at an indian restaurant we went to a lot in Northern VA. It worked out nicely, we made a night of it and always went with another couple. So we eat a ton and meet all the requirements to use the coupon, etc. It can be planned and useful, you just have to check the minimum requirements and the expiration dates, etc.

Best of luck!

1. oparu profile image60
      oparuposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I also enjoy using Groupons, Living Social, and Buy with me deals. They are really good if you go to those places regularly anyway. With Groupon, if you don't use it before the expiration date, you can still spend whatever you paid for it at that business. So, if you bought a $20 coupon (e.g. for $40 worth of stuff at business x), you can at least get $20 of stuff at that business after it expires. Just read the details of the deal before buying.

1. P.M. pen profile image60
        P.M. penposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Gotta say I really like Groupon. Today I purchased a $25 gift certificate to the Nutty Guys for $10. Nutty Guys is an online retailer of nuts, dried fruits, and candies. The value is really incredible. Nuts are expensive. Where else can you get $25 worth of nuts for $10?

1. Kidgas profile image63
          Kidgasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Go to the religious forums and you can get all the nuts you want for FREE!

1. Pro Design Source profile image60
            Pro Design Sourceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL! So true, and if you don't like that kind of nut - try the Political forums, some say they're crunchier. wink

2. wbfree profile image62
            wbfreeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think there's plenty here too. roll

9. profile image52
    xenozposted 13 years ago

I found group buying site based on the social coupon
    concept that stands apart from Groupon, Living Social,
    FourSquare, or other deal-a-day sites. It's called
    FlutterBuck http://www.flutterbucksignup.com and you
    actually get paid to refer other to group buys.
    It's a revolutionary concept really, and rewards
    those for referring and sharing group buys
    locally.

10. profile image52
    xenozposted 13 years ago
  11. Teegan E. Ross profile image60
    Teegan E. Rossposted 13 years ago

Groupon's fantastic.  Pay $10 for $20 worth of burgers, $30 for a $75 massage, etc.  What's not to love?

12. JMFConsulting profile image60
    JMFConsultingposted 13 years ago

Groupon is really not that bad - last week I paid $5 bucks a pop for 6 Fandango movie tickets.  Better than the usual $12 a ticket and even beats the $6 Tuesday deal lots of cinemas offer.  There were no restrictions as to when the tickets could be used either.  Its definitely worth a 2nd look.

1. Chris Simiriglia profile image60
      Chris Simirigliaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  I use Goupon to eat at restaurants that my husband and I would like to try.  We usually spend $25 on a $50 Groupon.  Anytime I can save 25 bucks on a good meal in the city... I'm happy!

The trick is to NOT over-buy just because the deal looks good.  If you buy a bunch and forget to use them in the allotted time, you will be disappointed. Make sure you use the Groupons that you buy and you'll be quite happy.

13. xxfourthelement profile image59
    xxfourthelementposted 13 years ago

From what I've heard, Groupon is NOT a good thing for local businesses - in fact, instead of making money by offering sales, the businesses often lose money because not only are they offering a discount, they have to PAY to be put on Groupon.

I'd say skip Groupon and just hunt for some good deals.

1. robschwenck profile image61
      robschwenckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like that's the local business' problem. If they make a bad biz decision, why hold Groupon accountable?

14. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

I've used Groupon several times, and just purchased ski tickets to the local hill.  Regular price for lift and rentals = $80.  I just paid $39 for full day lift plus demo skis (top of the line and new) for any day, including peak times.  Not bad, plus purchased a second for a gift. 

The difference between Groupon and regular coupons is this:  you pay upfront for te discount to secure it.   A coupon is printed and can only be validated upon purchase.  If you forget to use the coupon, no loss to you.  If you don't use a Groupon by the expiration date, that's your loss. 

As for the establishment losing money....perhaps, but the exposure they receive via marketing and receiving new customers outweighs the loss.  All marketing media will cost some money.  How well it is marketed and managed are the keys.  Flyers, radio announcements, ads on the internet or in papers also cost initial dollars, but are made up by reaching a larger audience.  Groupon caters to those who are wanting to go and try which is a guarantee to the establishment that they will be receiving new clients.

Haven't had a problem with Groupon (and the expiration dates are well into the future).

15. LillyGrillzit profile image78
    LillyGrillzitposted 13 years ago

I love HubPages, because the way HP sets up feeds, I stumble on topics all the time, or titles, that intrigue me. This has been one of those things I always wondered about, did a little inconclusive research as a non-participant.

It is true that we don't get something for nothing. All the way up the chain, it would be nice if suppliers gave out discounts or there was a payroll coupon, or tax rebate, or licensing, or discounts on lawyers, accountants, permitting, etc.

It costs a lot of money to run a business. It is very costly to eat out. When people are being frugal, they are eating at home or .99 deals, and not eating well. This is a well informed forum feed, and I thank everyone for your input.

Groupon and them just got a new cutomer.
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4333832_f248.jpg

16. sam70 profile image59
    sam70posted 13 years ago

I have yet to purchase a groupon coupon, but they do seem to offer some great deals.

17. omecha profile image54
    omechaposted 13 years ago

Besides groupon, there are actually numerously such type of site. you can find all of them in the Social Deal Map website. I feel this is another bubble. When you actually need these service, it is a good bargains to you, though I am wondering how those merchants can survive with only getting 25% of the original bill ( remember you give 50% discount out and groupon took another half).

18. txgal profile image61
    txgalposted 13 years ago

Every now and then I see a deal that is worth purchasing. However, it seems when those great deals come up I don't have the money to purchase it.

19. TLMinut profile image61
    TLMinutposted 13 years ago

Just a couple of days ago my friend told me she uses them. Apparently it's only in certain cities or is still spreading. She said they were available in SLC for a while and had just now come to her city. She LOVES it!
    It wouldn't be worth it for me because I don't spend enough money in the first place. But my friend is another satisfied customer, just wanted to mention that for people who are trying to decide.

20. Eaglekiwi profile image76
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Yes ,now they are a pain in the preverbial inbox.

1. TLMinut profile image61
      TLMinutposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Uh-oh, you mean constant emails until you can't stand it? But you don't want to cancel because they're good deals? Maybe it's not so bad to be poor.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image76
        Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No,I mean Ive unsubsrcibed but of course its not effective immediately (funny that) so up they pop.

Actually was my fault ,since I dont come from a country consumed by coupons ( really thought that only happened in the 60's) but is fun checking out sites all the same.

21. bearnecessity profile image58
    bearnecessityposted 13 years ago

I have heard of groupon but did not like the idea of paying per coupon. I use thatfreething.com. I pay a monthly fee and access all the free coupons I want. I have got a lot of stuff so far like a free queso at a mexican restaurant, $5 off a chilis meal, $10 off a meal at Gratzianos, I just got a free kit kat about ten minutes ago.

22. theherbivorehippi profile image66
    theherbivorehippiposted 13 years ago

I love Groupon!  I use them and so do a lot of my friends.  Never heard anyone complain about them.

23. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I have to admit I have come around to Groupon a little bit in the last few months, I am still not sold on how much benefit I am getting from them as an advertiser though. (Since thanks to Google's 'targeted' advertising the Groupon ads are more likely to be displayed to people who already visit Groupoin.com - just like I constantly see SEOmoz ads when I surf the net.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)