For The Liberal America Haters

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (52 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

I came across this and thought I'd share it with you folks that always bring up America as a evil imperialist country that stole the land from the Indians as promoted slavery.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/04/ … erica.html

2. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Great Article, such a shame that it will just cause another debate over which side actually has it right.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image59
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Your link shows an accurate history of liberal victories over conservatives that have made this country great.

Thanks for providing it.

1. mcrow profile image60
      mcrowposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, making people feel as though America is a terrible, evil, and racist country is a HUGE victory. Congrats on that.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The article listed the accomplishments of liberals since the country's creation especially in the area of racial equality.

Perhaps you should read it.

1. mcrow profile image60

Do i have to remind you of all of the liberals who owned slaves? Don't make it out that it was some sort liberal cause that resulted in racial equality. Many liberals were against it before they were before it just the way the repblicans were. It was an American happening (the freeing of slaves and later racial equality). Conservatives and liberals were on both sides of the issue, don't make it look otherwise.

1. profile image0
            PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No one is arguing that liberals never engaged in the same behaviors as conservatives.  Where did you read that?

However, we are where we are today with regard to racial equality because of progressive ideals, not conservative ones.

1. mcrow profile image60

RM was trying to make it sound like the getting rid of slavery was the work of a liberal victory over conservatives.

One could argue that the freedom of man is one of the greatest conservative values, so I don't see your point.

You call it a progressive ideal, I call it a good old conservative  ideal that man should be free.

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
                Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you understand the meaning of the term 'progressive'? Or 'liberal'?

1. mcrow profile image60

Yes, my point was that sometimes a progressive ideal can also be a conservative ideal.  A general sense of freedom is one of those. However, when you get past the general idea of  freedom, the paths go very different directions.

2. Greek One profile image64
                  Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

CONSERVATIVE:
                  http://www.behindthegreen.org/storage/images/archie_bunker_1.jpg

PROGRESSIVE:
                  http://www.tvland.com/shows/aitf/images/robreiner_michaelstivic.jpg

DINGBAT
                  http://lamiavitanellafamigliabrady.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/jeanstapleton01.jpg

1. Obscure Divine profile image60
                    Obscure Divineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Where in the hell is the damn aristocrat at???

2. Ron Montgomery profile image59

One could argue that the Earth is flat..

One could be wrong.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image59

Perhaps you should review your posts before hitting the "submit" button.

4. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 14 years ago

I am not an "America Hater" but I am liberal, so I suppose your post was partially directed at me.  roll

Anyway, I agree with Ron.  The article lists America's accomplishments, especially in the area of racial equality.  These accomplishments would have never been realized had it not been for the steady push of progressive ideals.

Thank you, Poppa.

5. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 14 years ago

The real America haters are the ones who call their president anti-American and want him to fail!

1. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And so all those liberals who did that to Bush are America haters? Not liking your president is not the same as not liking your country.

roll

1. lovemychris profile image77
        lovemychrisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No one questioned Bushs's love of America.
        People do that to Obama on a daily basis...and I guess that includes the people who voted for him.
        We are anti-American and don't love America, right?

Man, it never ends...first we're anti-American for speaking out against a president, and now we're anti-American for supporting one.
        I guess we should just decreee that only conservatives can be president and that only conservatives love America.

Would that make them happy, or should they just ship us all out to an island somewhere?
        Then they'd always get their way.

1. Greek One profile image64

How about the country of.. "Liber-ia"

(It's not an island, but it i warm)

smile

I'd just take Hawaii!! They can send me there anyday.

1. Greek One profile image64

Bangcock has a nice ring to it too

If you go, look up my buddy - Sum Yoong Gai

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
                  Doug Hughesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think Somalia is perfect for them. There is no taxes - no government - complete anarchy and piracy is the mainstay of the economy. Anyone from Wall Street would fit right in.

2. profile image0

Here's two things I found about Bush being anti-american just with a quick google search:

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=47970

http://existentialistcowboy.blogspot.co … -anti.html

What? I didn't say that, you said that. You said that people that claim the president is anti-american are america haters.

What? I really wonder about your comprehension skills...

I'm talking about public officials...public figures, not bloggers on a blogspot!
            Name me one member of Congress or one media figure on TV who had a daily show, or one radio personality who was on everyday...call Bush anti-American. It didn't happen. He was hero-worshipped!
            And as far as world net daily---forget it, that is so right-wing as to be off the map.

This thread was started by PB saying The Liberal America Haters....I responded by saying the real haters are......get it? It was a response to his claim, not one started by me.

1. profile image0

You didn't say that. You said no one.

Not really.

Obviously you didn't even read the article because it was saying Bush was anti-american because he was taking away our freedoms and such.

Yes, I understand that. And mine was a response to your claim. I said that by your definition of real haters, that includes liberals too.

You're right! I was confused between another thread!!
                So then I must retract my statement:
                You can hate the president and hope he fails and still not be an America hater.
                Now we are just left with bp's America haters; Liberals.

1. profile image0

That's very true.

2. mcrow profile image60

I don't want him to fail but I did want many of the bills he's resposible for to fail being passed. I hope the ones that passed will either prove me wrong or get repealed.

6. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 14 years ago

Ron - You would enoy this - along the theme of Right vs Left. It's from the movie 1776 - this scene Nixon persuaded the director to destroy - a negative survived the purge and a decade or 2 later was included in the DVD release. The scnene is the conservative wing of the Continental Congress who is opposed to Independence and (surprise) in favor of slavery. Classic cinema.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JDNTS2wHHo

I love watching the contortions of those who try to claim social progress as a conservative idea.

7. lovemychris profile image77

But are Liberals America haters?

1. Padrino profile image61
      Padrinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not all of them just the ones on hubpages.

2. profile image0

You can't classify a whole group of people as that.

8. lovemychris profile image77

But that's what they have done and continue to do.

Ann Coulter: "Even Islamic terrorists don't hate America like liberals do."

That's the kind of smearing that we have put up with.
    Since 2000...
    And I thought it was for criticizing Bush, but now it's for liking Obama.

1. profile image0

A few people do not represent a whole.

9. lovemychris profile image77

It's more than a few people. It's basically the whole of Fox news and all of talk radio...that's a powerful propaganda machine and I think it's responsible for a lot of this hate.
    Then when you add members of congress and popular political figures, it's a lighted match in a powder-keg.
    And the fact that Fox is the highest rated cable show, and right-wing talk owns it, that means that it's a whole lot more than a few people.
    It's calculated, planned, and dangerous. imo

10. lovemychris profile image77

Michelle Bachmann: "I want people on our side armed and dangerous."

No missing that meaning.
    She hates America.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hogwash.

Wasn't it you who said you actually hate certain people?   Or am I thinking of another liberal on here?

So the intention of being armed and dangerous is to show Christian love to others?

I feel like an alter boy about to be ravaged (with loving intent I'm sure) by a priest.

Yours is a very confusing philosophy.

11. lovemychris profile image77

She's a hater and so are you.
    You just won't admit it.

I hate neo-cons and zionists. Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Netanyutwut...etc.

But you and Bachmann love Obama, don't ya?

1. profile image0

I dunno about Bachmann, but since I think she's a Christian, she probably feels like I do-----
      she Loves Obama's soul and has no ill will for him as a human being,  but she hates just about everything he does.

You can stop any ol' time trying to get people to actually hate someone, because it ain't happenin', not with me anyway.

You're using a typical liberal tactic when you outright say YOU hate someone (a former President at that!) and don't feel like you should be called on it,  while you make assumptions as to what's in the hearts of conservatives.

I must say that's a nasty hateful tactic and I wish you'd stop it.

12. lovemychris profile image77

My tactics don't include strapping a gun. Armed and dangerous? Since when did Jesus advocate that??
    Maybe you ought to re-think what the word Christian means.

Loving Obama's soul doesn't do him much good when you want his body dead.
    Unless I'm missing the meaning of armed and dangerous. What is that, some new Sunday morning service?

"Jimmy, get dressed. Time for armed and dangerous. Hurry up, or we'll be late!"

13. Strophios profile image61
    Strophiosposted 14 years ago

To get back on topic, and just for fun (because I can't resist demolishing some idiotic Right wing thought) here is an annotated version of the article from the original post:

Maybe... but I'm extremely skeptical. Although this might be fair simply because America isn't old enough to have been feudal. However, I doubt its validity if you apply this only to last two hundred some years. Moving on...

Because the number of slaves a country imports is an excellent metric for how racist it is. [/sarcasm]

Honestly, that is perhaps the most idiotic way to measure racism yet concocted. First, I think it should be noted that, using this metric, the US is perhaps the most racist of white majority nations, given that no other nation imported as many slaves as we did (at least, not into their own national territory, i.e. France imported a lot of slaves into Haiti, which has very little bearing on the racial attitudes of the majority of the French). Additionally, it should also be noted that there was certainly a great demand for slaves here, very likely outstripping the capital to acquire them.

I am fairly certain that there is no former slave holding nation with as large a black minority as the US, so this should not be terribly surprising. Relatedly, there were very few slaves in Continental Europe, most slaves ended up in various colonies (e.g. the US) ergo most former slave holding nations have very little in the way of citizens to make reparations to. In terms of international reparations, some certainly have been made, but on the other hand there were often various political pressures (unrelated to racial ones) which would make such reparations inexpedient.

Also, it should be noted that the US was the last among Western nations to abolish slavery. Even serfdom in far eastern Europe was gone before the US was rid of slavery.

Yes, the first black president who was throughout the campaign (and to this day) attacked as somehow foreign and un-american. Just sayin'

Impressive accomplishments all, but it should also be noted that there is exactly one black member of the senate.

There is a difference between governmental policy and popular attitudes. So yes, we are so racist that we allow them to come here and then discriminate against them upon arrival (and even found political parties upon precisely that, see the Know Nothings). Relatedly, sometimes such discrimination is governmental policy: such as the various times the government has specifically disallowed immigration from particular places.

Yes, and because they did it it's all okay.

See above.

And the long and bloody War of Philippine Insurrection, which Americans always seem to forget about. But that's okay I guess because the US finally "granted the Filipinos independence in 1946." Yes, a half century later; perhaps we should all applaud (take note, that is longer than the USSR held together, and certainly longer than it held the Eastern Bloc). It should also be noted that we 'liberated' Cuba from the Spaniards in that same imperialist war (Spanish-American, not Philippine Insurrection), and then proceeded stomp all over their attempts at independent government.

Well done, only 74 years overdue.

Yay, we're not as bad as the Soviet Union! We're better than Stalin! Why don't we just pat ourselves on the back.

Also, I think something there needs to be given a bit more emphasis: "President Harry Truman created the Age of the Nuclear Weapon when he ordered the Army Air Force to drop atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, thus ending Japan's participation in the Second World War." Yes and wreaking havoc on two civilian targets, killing thousands upon thousands upon thousands of innocents.

If by "learned to look at life through the prisms of contrast, comparison, and context" you mean learned to absolve your own sins by pointing out those of others, no I suppose we haven't, and thank god for it. "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

Additionally, if you want to talk purely in terms of area, in terms of simple numbers, America is one of the most imperialistic powers in world history. Beginning with a few meager holdings on the east coast it spread all across the continent, decimating and removing native populations as it encountered them (also, see the Mexican-American War, and the War of 1812, actually). The only way around this is a strict definition of empire: i.e. a state which subsumes but respects local boundaries and power structures (e.g. Britain or the Ottomans). In which case the US wasn't terribly imperialist, it was much worse: instead of respecting tribal rights and boundaries and, say, requiring tribute, we destroyed the boundaries and killed off populations wholesale.

A brief addendum: this article doesn't even mention or try to defend some of the most objectionable actions of the United States, many of which have taken place in these past fifty years: see intervention in places like Iran, Nicaragua, Vietnam, etc.

In sum, there is almost nothing right in this article. Please try again.

1. profile image0

You wanna know how I feel about it?

It's America.  Love it or leave it.

You should make bumper stickers.

2. Doug Hughes profile image60
      Doug Hughesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well written. Well researched. Logical Organization.  Conclusion consistent with the arguments. 

And you got a tired cliche' from the head cheerleader of the wingnuts.

Good job.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)