GOLD..a good investment?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (29 posts)
  1. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

The price of an oz. of gold is almost $1200.00's.
    Why would anyone buy gold at it's peak price?
    Would you buy a stock at the highest price it has historically reached?

1. Moon Goddess1854 profile image61
      Moon Goddess1854posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The old phrase says:

What goes up must come down.

So our first reaction is to say that since gold is high, it must be ready to come down.  This is often a mistake because it is very hard to tell where there will be a change or counter trend.

Looking at gold charts it indicates that since about 2001, Gold is running on around $400 poles.  It corrected over 200 dollars in 2008.

Chances are before gold rises it may correct so I would wait for it to make new upward trend before investing

The charts are only a guide.  A less risky investment will be gold stocks like NEM, ABX, GG.  These will be less risky plays.

2. DavidDT_TTW profile image58
      DavidDT_TTWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

in a bull market that is what yo do - buy at new highs...but we are in the bear market...oh pardon me - GuberMint said we are fine...

3. thecollecktor profile image65
      thecollecktorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When you invest, one has to consider the world economy, its impact on people, then look at the investments that offer the best return for what is happening now.    Gold has been a very good investment in uncertain times.   Will these uncertain times continue, probably.   Yet every investment requires demand and scarcity in order to offer profits.  Gold's demand comes from two areas, jewelry and investment.  This old article from 2008 offers insight into Gold as an investment.  http://www.articlesnatch.com/Article/Wh … ld-/993134   You will find then two thirds (2/3) of the demand is from jewelry, the balance from investors.   Manufacturing is mentioned.  Investments are up because of the belief, gold holds value.  Currently this is true if investors continue to believe this.  Any investment will go up and down.  Gold is no exception.  It will have a trading range and a low and a high over time.   Many are holding taking gold off the market.  Any change in why gold is rising can cause the price to drop fast.  Investors are fickle. They want profit.  Should another vehicle offer more profit, there will be an exodus from other their current choice.  Gold is no exception.   Gold like any investment needs to be a part of ones investment.  Should they bet the farm?   It is a decision not left up to those who promote Gold and sell it.  There is always a risk. 
      Compare it to other options.  Read more at http://hubpages.com/hub/APNX Always remember, make your own decision when investing.  There is noone who is 100% perfect except maybe Warren Buffet.

1. qwark profile image60
        qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm an old gold prospector.
        The gold I have, I'll hold.
        At $1000+ an ounce there's no way I'll buy.
        I remember when gold rose to about $800, I think in the late or middle 70's
        I had friends who made a bundle and who also lost alot when the price dropped back, suddenly, into the $300's.
        These guys on TV who tell ya they invested 10 yrs ago and it has been the best investment they've ever made...and they want you to buy now?
        They invested when gold was selling for $350 an oz.
        They did not foresee this recession, they just lucked out.
        Buy gold now? Are you nuts

2. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

My analysis shows that most likely in December we just saw the highest gold prices for years to come. This refers to many other markets including stocks. Say hello to deflation, it is much better than government wants you to believe smile

I could be wrong of course smile

1. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Misha:
      Knowing that, would you buy gold as part of your investment scheme?
      I wouldn't

2. DavidDT_TTW profile image58
      DavidDT_TTWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"It is so good that we don't need any better"

That is a typical Russian saying smile

DavidDT AKA Mad Russian smile

3. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I am not buying it of curse. I actually opened a gold account if a safe place like a year ago, but I did not fund it yet. May be a few months or years down the road, but definitely not now smile

4. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 14 years ago

Misha:
    Amen!
    I prospected gold in the mid 90's: Calif, Oregon, Washington..etc.
    I have about a pound of "pickers" and placer in a bottle.
    Never had it assayed.
    I'm gonna do it shortly. :-)

5. DanPowers profile image47
    DanPowersposted 14 years ago

I've written a hub about investing in gold...

http://hubpages.com/hub/Buying-Gold-for-Investment

I don't know if it is a good investment right now. Daytime television is full of adverts about buying and selling gold, that's usually a good sell signal!

6. profile image54
    probafixposted 14 years ago

In short, is gold is a good investment? Absolutely Not!! stay away from it...

7. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Just a thought ....... If gold was the same price as it was in 1979 it would be $3,400 an ounce in today's dollars! smile
    look at the fundamentals then, and compare with now. The gold price is very difficult to predict. It is not dependant on reality alone! lol

8. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 14 years ago

The Precious metal investment thats growing fastest proportionally is Silver cause the Chinese are pushing it big time for there citizens.I bought in and value is increasing at a very steady rate,not spectacular but steady.

9. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Paper currency has ZERO value.

Regardless of the price per ounce, Gold will always have some value even when paper currency completely collapses.

This has ALWAYS been the case.

How much is your $1,200 in paper going to be worth if there is a run on banks?

So the real question is this.  Do you trust that paper currency will hold it's perceived value or not.

People buy gold to hedge against inflation.  It's all just risking taking, gambling.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree.

10. classicalgeek profile image82
    classicalgeekposted 14 years ago

If you want a really good investment, try vegetable seeds. They will multiply by 10 every year, and you can feed your family for a year on about $30 worth. The next year you can feed ten families if you save the seeds from the plants you harvest, and the next year 100 families. All you need is the land to grow it on.

11. Kidgas profile image63
    Kidgasposted 14 years ago

If you have read any of my hubs on gold investing, you will see that I have a clear bias in favor of gold.  Can I tell you if it is a good investment, now?  Of course not!  I have no idea whether the price will be $500 or $5000 or anywhere in between over the next decade.  But I still hold over 30% of my retirement accounts in the stock of gold and silver miners.

How can I do this and sleep at night?  By owning puts and hedging the value of those stocks.  I know that I can only lose so much if I am wrong.  This could be done with other stocks as well.  Some would have you believe that options are complicated and risky.  I prefer educating myself.

12. wyanjen profile image72
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

Gold is a bad investment.
    Especially if the gold has diamonds in it.

I held on to my gold investment for 14 years before I sold it at a pawn shop. Turns out that wedding ring was worth a solid $25.00.

1. Kidgas profile image63
      Kidgasposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I bet you were lucky that you even got to keep that much.

1. wyanjen profile image72
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol
        I went to three different pawn shops with it. I thought about putting up for sale personally, but I would have felt bad about ripping off some newly engaged kids. So, I took the money and ran.
        lol

13. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I collected a pickle bottle full of gold over a period of time panning. The thing is, nuggets are worth much more than their weight value.
    The ugly ones Dad made into a pair of wedding rings for my sister and her man. smile

1. Kidgas profile image63
      Kidgasposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Panning sounds like fun.

14. advoco profile image61
    advocoposted 14 years ago

There are obvious attractions to investing in gold right now given the uncertainties hanging over the entire global financial system (this so called recovery is a mirage).  But, as some have already commented, is 11-1200 a bit of a rich price or even a bubble price?  If you like gold what's a good entry price?

I published an article recently comparing the position of fabled economist Nouriel Roubini (thinks gold's a bubble) and hedge fund billionaire John Paulson (has started buying it).  They both predicted the economic crisis so are worth listening to but can't both be right on this one. 

http://english.alrroya.com/node/29987

For anyone that doesn't want to read the article, I came down on the Paulson side but think there will be an opportunity to get in at some point this year at below a $1000.

15. profile image54

Gold is best investment because of its fluctuation. gold prices fluctuate with its supply and demand.

16. DCnews profile image60
    DCnewsposted 14 years ago

It may go up, but Warren Buffett isn't buying right now.

1. traderx profile image59
      traderxposted 14 years ago

Gold can be a good investment, but like all investments, there is always downside risk.  Gold is a bit different than other stuff, as you could buy here, investors think it has topped and then if you do not sell you might be underwater for 10,20, or even 30 or more years.  This is what happened near 1980, when gold peaked and anyone holding and hoping was hoping for 30 years.  Silver investors are still hoping.

As long as you treat it as an investment with a cut off point where you would get out, you are fine.  If inflation takes off, gold is virtually the only game in town that benefits that is easily accessible to most investors.

2. Daniel Carter profile image63
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Buying gold now might be a little like buying real estate just before the end of the boom market in early 2008. A lot of people are now upside down in their mortgages, if they haven't already foreclosed. So if the gold market does correct anytime soon, your initial investment is going to be worth only pennies on the dollars you invested.

It's probably a very smart investment for all the reasons cited, but timing, at this point, will make the difference about investment value.

3. profile image54

The stand you took here is worth a praise.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)