How DARE you call yourself a writer if you're not being ignored!!

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (24 posts)
  1. ahostagesituation profile image80
    ahostagesituationposted 14 years ago

Anyone feel this way?

1. Writer David profile image61
      Writer Davidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, if being ignored is the criteria, I should have a best seller just any day now!  It gets old....being ignored. But, if you don' t have a thick skin, you shouldn't be in this business anyway.

ahostagesituationposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My thick skin got its extra layer when I became a  nurse.  :-).  I treasure it.

2. JulesGerome profile image60
      JulesGeromeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No. Why would I ? If someone is not ignored as a writer ,he must be a good one. From my experience, almost all writers that are ignored, write crap.

ahostagesituationposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, I just started writing again, stopped in college, but I bet if I tried hard enough I could find a decent writer who isn't published, or isn't being read. It seems to me that like every other business, there's more than one component that determines success.  Talent is not the only factor in a writer that makes them successful. Not from what I can tell anyway.

1. M. T. Dremer profile image86
          M. T. Dremerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're absolutely right; talent isn't the only factor when being successful as as a writer. In fact, I would say that persistence and patience are more important. Look at how much crap there is out there; poor writing that is on store shelves. It isn't necessarily because everyone thought the writer was great, it was because the writer kept pushing until they found someone who was willing to publish it.

The same can be said of hubpages. You could write long, well thought out articles and still have a lower hubscore than the person posting the 'hot girl' pics just because you aren't getting as much traffic, or you aren't networking as much. It's sad but it's true.

1. brimancandy profile image80
            brimancandyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you. I often wonder how some of these extremely crappy movies keep being made. It seems to me that anyone with lots of money and connections can spout out crap all they want, and people will read it, and pay to see it on the screen. While people with true talent sit on the sidelines just waiting for someone to recognise them.

All you have to do is see what is on storeshelves these days, and you see my point. A good portion of it is some tired actors biography, or some health gurus diet book. Fiction seems to stick to established authors, and those who are trying to break in get little coverage. or, some killers true story, told by someone who wants to milk it's temporary popularity.

One reason why writing on the internet is so popular, and why there is so little benefit from doing it. In some ways the internet is more of a curse to writers than a blessing. Now, you almost have to give it away to get noticed. Very sad.

3. Christopher Floyd profile image61
      Christopher Floydposted 13 years agoin reply to this

HAHAHAHA!!! Oh yeah.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image73
    Jeff Berndtposted 14 years ago

Well, I'm pretty sure Harlan Ellison, Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, and Stephen King, to name a few, consider themselves to be writers. They aren't exactly being ignored.

3. ahostagesituation profile image80

Very true, Jeff. My best guess, though, is that before they hit the best-seller list they were ignored for a while.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some of them were probably even actively discouraged. Harlan Ellison likes to tell folks about the college professor he had who told him that he'd never succeed as a writer. Every time Ellison publishes a book, story, article, or whatever, he mails a copy to that professor as a friendly reminder.

1. Ivorwen profile image65
        Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just read Michael Crichton's biography.  He quit his writing degree to become a doctor, because his professor was impossible.  Of course, his first book to be made into a movie was written while he was still in college.

There is something about these type of stories that I find so encouraging.

2. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like the thought of that approach. I would hope his professor has learned something! smile

3. jj200 profile image65
        jj200posted 13 years agoin reply to this

He sounds like my hero. I think adversity helps, it makes you work harder and become more determined. At least it did for me: I wrote a hub about it.

I've found it's hard to be ignored and be a good writer on Hubpages, so I'm glad they may be working to buck the trend. In my short time here, I've found that people seem to be helpful and friendly. Although if adversity helps you, maybe you should request that people talk trash about your hubs. I may try that...

2. M. T. Dremer profile image86
      M. T. Dremerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Stephen King was ignored a lot before he got Carrie published. He had all of his rejection slips on display as motivation to keep trying. I encourage everyone to read his book "On Writing" to see how much of a struggle he went through to become the big name that he is.

4. ilmdamaily profile image69
    ilmdamailyposted 14 years ago

Yes, I know what you mean - there is a little of the "holier than thou" attitude amongst writers. Suffering for your art seems to be a badge of honour for many people. Needlessly suffering for your art seems to be a badge of honour among many writers in particular.

If you can become successful as a writer then go for it!

...and let me know how you did it;-)

5. ahostagesituation profile image80

I'm certainly no tortured soul, nor a martyr, but man, I don't see how you can get out of creating any real art without suffering a little.  At least if you're doing right, it's a soul-demanding work.  You can't do it unless you're telling the truth until it hurts somewhat.  That's my experience with art anyway. But bottom-line, if you can do something decent creatively sans suffering, than that's the way to go!!

6. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

No, I do not feel ignored. I write good crap.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes you do smile

7. blackreign2012 profile image58
    blackreign2012posted 14 years ago

Ppl need to quit trippin about their hub traffic. I mean seriously. When I decided to join hubpages I understood the dynamics of it but my motivation wasn't traffic. I wanted to post my work and get feedback however little or major it was. Just have fun doing what you do on hubpages; the traffic will come when you don't focus on it so hard. Just write. You are still a writer whether you have 2 people coming thru or 200. Have a good day everybody.

8. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

LOL *smiles at UW* thanks darlin'.

9. wingedcentaur profile image65
    wingedcentaurposted 13 years ago

Good Day ahostagesituation

In asking this question are you making a distinction between commercial and non-commercial writers? For example, commercial writers (provided they're half way competent)have more exposure for obvious reasons. Their material "grabs you by the throat," and so forth, and is often turned into "blockbuster" movies.

Non-commercial writers (provided they're half way competent) are the ones that survive the "test of time," and so forth. They are the ones that get the Nobel, Literary Circle, and other peer-acknowledged honors. Their works go on to become "classics."

If you are making a distinction between non-commercial writers as "real" writers, and commercial writers as "hacks," I can, to a certain extent, endorse that assessment. But not all commercially successful writers are not necessarily hacks, but then again many artistic writers go into commercial territory to supplement their incomes - that, obviously would not be the same thing as saying not all commercial writers are hacks.

But then there is the interesting breed of writer who bridges the gap between high art and low culture, and are therefore harder to pigeon-hole than the pure artist and the pure hack. Mario Puzo, John Grisham, Elmore Leonard, and Philip K.Dick, who are some of my favorites, come to mind.

I would say that the true writer takes longer to build her audience and establish a public consciousness than the commercial writer. As for the later, once the fad of the moment has passed, so too does their prominence (unless they can adapt to or shape the next fad, which some of them are).

For the artist who is the true artist, success, if and when it comes, rests of a stronger foundation, I think, because what they have to say is "timeless."

10. CkhoffmanK profile image79
    CkhoffmanKposted 13 years ago

Yeh, but a true writer can be a commercial writer on the side for $$ lol

11. Oztinato profile image76
    Oztinatoposted 9 years ago

These days everyone is a comedian or writer or artist etc

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)