Happy Earth Day to you All!

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 13 years ago

Are you doing anything special to commemorate 'Earth Day'?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am going to hug a tree smile

2. samboiam profile image60
      samboiamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am going to travel from Texas to California to Maine and back to Texas in my Hummer. Did I mention it has an exhaust leak.

3. aimeeSF profile image64
      aimeeSFposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am definitely going to try to attend some of the Earth Day festivals this weekend in San Francisco.  I just wrote about a bunch of them, and in turn, narrowed it down to:  Earth Day Marin 2010 and SWAP! NOT SHOP! in Oakland... if I could get someone to take public transit to Oakland with me smile

2. Origin profile image61
    Originposted 13 years ago

I might watch Avatar or something, that has an earthy vibe, doesn't it? big_smile

3. tobey100 profile image61
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

Yep, burning off 10 acres of land so we can start strip mining for coal.

1. Padrino profile image61
      Padrinoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you mind if I throw some tires on that fire?

Earth day, what a load of BS!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81
        Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

God forbid you show some respect for nature roll

Thank goodness most people have respect.

Nope...not a troll at all...

1. Padrino profile image61
          Padrinoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, I would say you exhibit troll-like behavior. roll

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

Avatar sounds fun today. it is released today for sale.

happy earth day to all. I'm planting flowers, playing in my little garden... hopefully a walk in the park later with my dog.

http://images.paraorkut.com/img/pics/images/h/happy_earth_day-12690.jpg

5. Princessa profile image82
    Princessaposted 13 years ago

Doing some gardening.  I am actually trying to start a vegetable garden but it is proving to be very, very hard work!

6. Urbane Chaos profile image92
    Urbane Chaosposted 13 years ago

So, I tried to hug a tree, but it had a small brier patch growing next to it.  After I got stabbed by its thorny needles about a hundred times, I cut that bastard down.

And then I felt bad, so I tried to plant another tree.  I dug a five foot hole, fell in and landed on a sharp rock.  It didn't tickle.

After I got the tree in, I stood back to admire it.  From out of nowhere, it got struck by lightening, cracked, and came crashing down on me.  I survived.

Remind me not to hug trees anymore.

Seriously, happy Earth Day! big_smile  I'm with Princessa and the whole gardening bit - at least, I'm going to try.  I'm a former city boy, so this living in the country and planting gardens is a little new to me..  I have my doubts about it though - once, I killed a cactus by accident.  Don't ask.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I may cry real soon - as a child, I accidentally killed a beautiful birch tree. No one yelled at me or punished me, but when I saw it die, I was sad and could not understand. The bark was peeling as it does - I did not know it was a natural process. I peeled off too much and had to witness it's gradual demise. Kind of death by starvation.

1. Urbane Chaos profile image92
        Urbane Chaosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

See, ya learn something new everyday.  I didn't know that happened to birch trees.. I've always lived in the city.  There are thousands of concrete trees there, but no birch.  Now that I'm in the country, these are all things that I have to learn.

7. h.a.borcich profile image61
    h.a.borcichposted 13 years ago

Today I get to fill up my little greenhouse with seeded pots of flowers and veggies! Yippee smile Good luck to all you new garders - you are headed to a great experience smile Holly

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

fun! I'm also going to plant some from seed. I love watching them grow. I have one of those seedling greenhouses that you can buy.
      I used to use it in the classroom so the kids could each plant their own seed.

have fun everyone. urbane, get your hands dirty city boy. big_smile

ok signing off.

I remember 1st grade and growing 1 bean plant in a tiny milk carton. it was a miracle to me.

lol, they love to see their plants! bean seeds are great because they almost always sprout! last year we planted sunflower seeds and were quite successful. it's great for children to learn to take care of their seedling as it grows into a plant.

so far today I planted from seed some california poppies, carrots, cucumbers and lettuce  and repotted a geranium.. which I love their earthy smell. my mom always had flowers all around the house and geraniums were in pots on the front porch steps. so that's where mine are, my one step!
          also unburied some garden concrete steps that had been grown over with grass..
          hope to eventually get to the park.

http://www.gulfsiamdivers.com/images/image_earthday.jpg

8. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 13 years ago

Every Day is Earth Day to me, because it's the only Earth we have -- Huzzahhh, Earth!

My carbon footprint is only 25% of the average American's and I'll take a look today to see if I can decrease that even further. Now, if I could do something about the people that use 2,025% of the average American use, then I'd be happy, and the Earth happier.

smile Thanks for the topic post!

1. Art 4 Life profile image60
      Art 4 Lifeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

think I will celebrate earth day and ride my horse to the top of the mountain and pick some wildflowers to put on my dining room table,....then work in the garden, plant some red potatoes, put a live trap in my corn hutch, to catch a raccoon that has been helping himself to my corn, work on the fencing, put more wood in my smoke house, work some chicken litter into the soil in the orchard,  pick some blooms off, so I wont be overwhelmed with fruit this summer, wash some canning jars I got a yard sell, and then take a nap.....
      Happy Earth day.....

wow, now that's the earth day spirit! go art4life. smile

I agree!

found some morrell mushrooms on the mountain...any good recipes out there?

you could check with philip carey. he hunts mushrooms also.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Mushroom-Hunting-the-Morel

Thanks rebekahELLE! yummmmm

9. Jeff Berndt profile image72
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

I celebrate Tatooine Day, myself. I'll be dressing my kids up as Jawas and trying to fix up broken appliances to sell to the neighbors.

A good recycling spirit, that.

10. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 13 years ago

Gardening is great and so is hugging a tree or two.

I've planted a few trees to make up for the one I killed, but it is not enough. Birches are my favorite and there aren't many in my area. 

That is what I can do for Earth Day - plant a tree. Thank you Zsuzsy Bee! I can always go a step further to be green.

11. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 13 years ago

I live a green life everyday.  I rarely drive, but I won't drive on Earth Day.  We will walk to our baseball and softball games.   

Not sure why so many people are cracking jokes about Earth Day.  hmm

12. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

I watched someone in front of me throw a McDonald's french fries wrapper out of their car window today. I guess someone didn't get the memo.

13. earnestshub profile image83
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Every day should be earth day! smile
    Happy earth day.

14. profile image59
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

You say it's your earth day,
    We'll it's my earth day to now,
    Yes were going to a party,party.................

1. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am going to hug Logic in the sand-pit.

1. profile image59
        logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ooooooooooooohhhhhhh, I like it!

1. blondepoet profile image67
          blondepoetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And a swim in the sea to wash off. smile

1. profile image59

I enjoy a little snorkeling! smile

15. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

We're going to pave Paradise and put up a parking lot...ooooh, oooh la la la!

It's still too cold up here to hug the trees. I just wave at them. Am starting to leaf (teehee) longingly through the Spring gardening magazines, though.

1. profile image59

I planted a few fruit trees last weekend and am getting the itch to do a couple more!

16. profile image0
    QuincyDaWonderDogposted 13 years ago

I watched seedlings pop up out of da ground all day. it was great fun!

17. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 13 years ago

Sometimes, Padrino, negativity just won't cut it. You should outline why ignoring environmental issues would be good for us or suggest an alternative approach to the environment that is better than the one we have now.

Or, as a final alternative, you should let other people do what they can with the pitiful frameworks that we presently have.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)