Truth

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (42 posts)
  1. luvpassion profile image63
    luvpassionposted 14 years ago

Is it human nature to ignore truth and believe a lie when the consquence of doing so are more pleasing than accepting it?

For example...smoking, many studies show that smoking leads to lung cancer and death. (Truth) Yet millions of people smoke.

Even in religion many theologians agree that Christmas and Easter were pagan holidays before being adopted by the church as Christian holidays...yet most Christians ignore this truth.

In politics,President Eisenhower lied to the whole nation when Gary Powers was shot down in a spy plane (the U2 incident) over Russia. So in a report to the nation, he lied. His justification was that it was in the nation's best interest. A truth to justify a lie.

What are your views?

1. profile image52
      atlas_khanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

100% right. This not your country problem but it's a whole world problem.

2. Ashmi profile image60
      Ashmiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We are riddled with inner contradictions. We talk of peace yet prepare for war. We want the truth but can't live with it. We seek friendship yet exploit and deceive. We talk of freedom yet we refuse to let go. We talk of love yet divide and exclude. Harmony and peace for the world yet we refuse to have it in ourselves etc etc......

Until we eradicate these contradictions which are the mark of the false we will keep on lying. Fear and greed is the root of deception.

2. Obscure Divine profile image60
    Obscure Divineposted 14 years ago

Temporary, so-called "truth" has the same effect as a lie, if one chooses to live in a free-spirited fashion.  From that point, for the ones who rebel against the limitations that are set by others, some folks will still do whatever they like and do as they please, until the day of their actual demise...  Plus, life is endless, so the phrase "whatever makes you happy" makes more sense every day.

luvpassionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In other words as Winston Churchill said. "Some men practically fall over truth, but pick themselves up and go on as if nothing happened." 

Or,  it's easier to stand solidly on a lie, then to stumble on the truth.

1. Obscure Divine profile image60
        Obscure Divineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey now, I said "so-called truth" via limitations of thoughts, that's all.  I spoke nothing about what Churchill said.  big_smile

2. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes it's easier for some people to stand on a lie.

This is illustrated in the Bible when it calls Jesus the stumbling block, showing that many people didn't want (and still don't want) to believe in Him even though His Truth is right there in front of us all.....

Many people stand on a lie while thinking they are standing on truth.  I see this going on with lots of money-collecting "organizations" these days......  neutral

1. profile image0

I actually agree with that.

The churches in this nation and probably in other nations are falling under the money spell!   It's recently become my personal opinion that the tax-free status of MOST religious organizations should be deleted.   The true "Church" wasn't meant to become open to mercenary options nor to fund the high-life of most Pastors and families.  And definitely not the re-fillable Pope position.

1. Greek One profile image64
              Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Can you be more specific, Brenda? smile

http://cockingasnook.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/tammy_faye_bakker_closeup_.jpg

1. profile image0

I can't be more specific because I disagree with ANY church being tax-free.

But of course, yes, those like Jim Baker/Tammy Faye's long ago that raked in so much money from followers who idolized them.

...I dunno if all churches are this way or not, but I was in a church before where a person's tithes were tax-deductible.  To me, that's a twisted way of handling church business.    Why tithe, pretending to give your share to God, and THEN turn around and take a deduction to get some of it back on your tax return?

1. earnestshub profile image81
                  earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's the religious way. smile

2. Jerami profile image59
            Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I see this going on in every walk of life. especialy when ego gets involved.
              ya gotta excuse me cause I took a pain pill a few minutes ago and I'm thinking way too clearly right now.  my typing is another  matter.

3. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Most everyone wants to follow what ever the group that they are closest to is believing to be true.

So you believe that factors such as prejudices within groups cause people to dismiss or not want to recognize truth whenever they see it.

1. Jerami profile image59

I think that most people do not have as much faith in their own thoughts as they do someone that is said to be an authority.

That would be very sad, weak & pathetic, to say the least...

1. getitrite profile image71
            getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

...but that is true!

Hmm, unfortunately so...

4. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 14 years ago

"We are not afraid to follow the truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson

1. getitrite profile image71
      getitriteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jefferson had the right perception, which is more than I can say for some of the delusional believers who believe that Truth is based on nonsense, prejudice, faith, an absurd bible, etc.

An ongoing problem in today's culture

To love truth sincerely means to pursue it with an earnest, conscientious, unflagging zeal. It means to be prepared to follow the light of evidence, even to the most unwelcome conclusions; to labor earnestly to emancipate the mind from early prejudices; to resist the current of desires and the refracting influence of the passions; to proportion on all occasions conviction to evidence; and to be ready, if need be, to exchange the calm assurance for all the suffering of a perplexed and disturbed mind. To do this is very difficult and very painful, but it is clearly involved in the notion of earnest love of truth.

Lecky

5. kess profile image60
    kessposted 14 years ago

Truth is that which you allow when on one is looking but will justify you before all.

Truth is the absence of hypocrisy...

Truth is that which proceed from the heart that is cleanse by the conscience.

Truth is that which shows you all things including yourself just as they are.

Truth is that which show all things as good even the evil works.

Truth is that by which all things are.

6. luvpassion profile image63
    luvpassionposted 14 years ago

Would you agree with me that if I said to you that there is a very good chance that when you were younger that you were more likely to say, "I know!" than you are now, and that as you grow older that you are more likely to say, "I think" rather than "I know!" because in youth there is the tendency to view things within very narrow parameters?

But as our experience increases we see that most situations that we are involved in are puzzlingly complex, far more complex than we ever believed, many-sided, and we begin to see that there is almost no opinion that does not have at least some truth, some facts within it that are true.

If you said what I think that you said I would have to agree completely. Even though things are not quite as complex as they seem either. Sometimes Excuses  cause the apearence of complexity. But yet There is no hard fast truth to all circumstances concerning everyone either.This is imposible to tell someone how to tell the diffrence.

2. kess profile image60
      kessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When I was younger I use to say I think, but now as I know Truth I can say with much assurance "I know".

Truth teaches a man Truth,
      If you still unsure then you have not known truth.

I believe that the closer we come to absolute truth the closer we come to what others consider to be insanity. And if in this instance we are truthful We would have to agree with them. This in turn afirms that we have not yet reached that Truth.

2. luvpassion profile image63

Truth is not easy to accept whenever it cuts across the grain of our belief,
        This being said, the truth can be blunted to fit certain beliefs.

In my opinion one should weigh the evidence before considering something absolute truth.

Truth is even harder to accept when it turns your beliefs upside down.
             There are some truths that when we have come to accept it
          we wish that we had not found it.
             Maybe those people that refuse to see the truth some how know this; and this is why they refuse to see.
             I like to think that it is better to be sad knowing the truth than it is to be longing for the truth.

7. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

Truth is relative.  Facts are not.  The distance between a fact and truth is a matter of purpose, rhetoric and will.

8. Obscure Divine profile image60

The most pristine truth is what you're born with and it comes without the contaminates of outside sources via evolved ignorance.

1. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what i was born with?

a placenta and dangerously large genitalia?

You too?  Hmm, interesting...  Ha-ha!

9. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Ignoring truth is the religious way.
    That is why we have thousands of religions that all own a separate "truth"
    They all read the same book, then kill each other over their version of the "truth"
    What a pile of horse radish! lol lol lol

10. Origin profile image60
    Originposted 14 years ago

I think it's pretty basic, sometimes truth can be more damaging than a lie.

If your wife walks into the kitchen with a big smile while your doing dishes, and she's wearing this hideous dress, do you say..

A) Ughhh... that dress.. it's terrible!

B) Wow, you look quite stunning honey!

C) Run away

1. Psychic-Dream profile image60
      Psychic-Dreamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There's a Buddhist saying that whenever you say something it must be true, timely and useful.
      If you want to say something that's not true, don't say it.
      If you want to say something that's true, but you know it's not the right time to say so, don't say it.
      If something is true, timely but not useful, then don't say it.

If everyone followed this, I think the world would be a much quieter place!

1. Origin profile image60
        Originposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Or, you could twist the truth, only say things that are true, but omit other aspects that may prove damaging. For example, in my example question a post ago, you could say something like "the dress matches your eyes" or something like that. Sometimes they are going to demand the truth, no matter what the result will be. Should you sugar-coat the truth with a white lie? That's a touchy one too.

Or you could be a bit more sneaky. Like say for example, you reply with..

"Yes, your dress looks beautiful dear!" and follow it up in your head with **with the lights off so it's not so blinding**.

11. kess profile image60
    kessposted 14 years ago

When one stops seeking truth from the word of men whether it be written or spoken, then that one is on the way to finding Truth.

What you say is true. But one can not find truth by only listening to their own inner voice. We have to begin by listening to someone.
        We have to choose what things to accept as the path to truth. And hope that we have chosen correctly.
         The greatest of few advantage of becoming old is.....
         Us old folks can look back over our past life and see those things that we had believed to be true but wasn't.
         And those things that we believed to be false but wasn't.
         Truth never changes. Our perception of it is constantly changing.
         So if our perseption of truth is constantly changing???
      Should we ever judge any one according to them???

2. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is the truth!
      The truth is what is, not what we perceive it to be, not what we wish it to be.
      We can not alter or distort what is, as it will always be what is, as it is destined to be what is regardless of any attempts to manipulate it, as that is destined also.
      Most can not or will not see it.

12. Obscure Divine profile image60

From the book titled "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" by Bruce Lee:

The Path to Truth

1) Seeking after truth
    2) Awareness of truth (and its existence)
    3) Perception of truth (its substance and direction -- like the perception of movement)
    4) Understanding of truth (a first-rate philosopher practices it to understand it -- TAO.  Not to be fragmented, but to see the totality -- Krishnamurti)
    5) Experiencing of truth
    6) Mastering of truth
    7) Forgetting truth
    8) Forgetting the carrier of truth
    9) Return to the primal source where truth has its roots
    10) Repose in the nothing

13. kess profile image60
    kessposted 14 years ago

To know truth is to know God.
    To know God is to know truth.
    For God and Truth is one.

If you know god and do not know truth then the god you know is false.

When you know truth you realize that it was always with you even as a mere child before you could barely say mama or papa.

You cannot know the false except by truth for the false cannot exist except by Truth being with it.

The false will always bear a testimony of Truth.

Truth is the first and is the begining.
    Truth is the last and is the end for truth is all things and define all things.

Truth is life and life is eternal, anything else is death which also is eternal.

This physical world is false but is because of Truth.

You should not rest till you find Truth, and when you do find truth you found that it was always with you.

Is this world we see both Truth and false and we will cleave to one or the other.

Those who seeks Truth will find it, and those who seek it not will never find it though it's already with them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)