Tornado headed my way this minute! 14 minutes and counting. No joke.

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (59 posts)
  1. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

If I lose power, see yall later. It's coming.....Got the closet cleaned out in the hallway, ready to dive in if needed.  Whew baby!

2. donotfear profile image84

Crap...it's coming within 5 miles of my house! I'm preparing....

donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I mean this rotation is coming....damage in Queen City, TX. I'm right across the border...wind picking up now...

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Stay safe.

4. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

omgsh donotfear. stay safe!

5. Origin profile image60
    Originposted 14 years ago

Stay safe all!

6. Tyrone Smalls profile image69
    Tyrone Smallsposted 14 years ago

R U still there???? R U still there????

7. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

There's been a band of storms crossing the state tonight with a lot of tornadic activity.

Stay safe "donotfear".  After it blows past, come back and let us know you're ok.  Right now you should be in a closet or interior bathroom.

8. donotfear profile image84

Gonna turn of computer for now...save my hard drive. Gusty for sure. It may be losing strength. Later yall.

1. yoshi97 profile image55
      yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Grab a pail of water ... in case ya end up in Oz. smile

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Too right! Not enough water here! smile
        Stay safe all. I hope it has a change of direction or something happens in the atmosphere that makes it fade out.

9. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

That's Michael Willis (from Arkansas) hiding from a tornado too(he posted on another thread). Is that near where donotfear is?

1. Michael Willis profile image67
      Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am NE of donotfear about 1 1/2-2 hours I think. It missed me here. Whew. We had the warning, but nothing happened.

10. KCC Big Country profile image85

She's at the border of Texas and Arkansas.

11. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

Let's just hope they are both OK (and everyone else in the path of the tornadoes too!)

12. donotfear profile image84

I'm Back!!!!  It blew right over!  It's raining now. Seemed like a peaceful hole developed right over this little stretch of land. Haven't heard that there is ANY damage in my county yet. Good!!  But Cass County in Texas got it.

I did hear a few balls of hail, but thank God it's gone. Man, this was the closest we've come in years to a direct hit. It evidently didn't touch down.

Michael Willis? He's up near Little Rock, I think. Where's his post?

1. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this
    2. TheGlassSpider profile image63
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh thank goodness! I missed this!!

3. Michael Willis profile image67

Hey girl!!!! It missed me also. Got the warning, but nothing happened. It is so common to have those warnings. Never know when they will actually touch down.

Hey Michael. The deal with this one is that it was verified rotation heading on a direct path straight through my neck of the woods. The wind gusted several times, rain off & on....a few hail pellets. It's gone on NE. First one we've had that came this close. I had my cell phone, my camera, and my flashlight handy while hubby sat peacefully in the living room watching re-runs of Andy Griffith!!

He should have sat over you protecting you!  Andy Griffith would have done that for you!

lol  Awwww.......I can take care of me. If he wants to stand in the line of fire of a twister, that's his problem.

LOL, I am sure you can. Country girls are the best!!!

You bet your boots we are!!!! And independent as all get out!

Awwww, the best!!!!! There is another round of severe storms coming our way you know!?!? Hope these are not as severe.

13. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

Forgot to say - glad you are OK, donotfear smile

14. KCC Big Country profile image85

Glad you're ok, DoNotFear.

15. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

It's on a path to GA supposed to start up in the next hour and continue all day tomorrow. Apparently we are the stall point.

16. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

Oh, you're in my prayers! Be safe. Please keep us updated!!!

17. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Glad your alright...and it missed you...Sorry for the ones it hit. Nothing like knowing one is coming right at you!

18. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

in case you've never seen one:

http://images.astronet.ru/pubd/2006/07/03/0001214757/tornado_nguyen_big.small.jpg

This is an awesome picture!

I just don't picture a nice rainbow with a tornado though. lol Glad to see you are safe donotfear!

For real...I'm on call tonight too. So if I get called by the Crisis Line, I gotta go out. Oh well, I carry 2 cell phones when I'm out. Thank God it's the last weekend I'll hafta' work nights!

19. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I was very frightened for you. These tornadoes look terrifying!
    We do not get tornadoes in this part of Australia, and even when I lived up north I never even saw one.
    So happy it missed, I would have been very scared and would have no idea what to do either.

20. Mike Lickteig profile image76
    Mike Lickteigposted 14 years ago

Glad to hear the storm didn't produce a tornado.  I live in Kansas (didn't get blown to Oz, I started here.....) and we have to watch out for a tornado every now and then, also.  It can be pretty scary sometimes.

21. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

You click your heels together and say "I guess we're not in Kansas anymore" !

22. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I am just so glad you are both safe smile))
    I can go to bed now - seeing as its 4.30am now in my time zone.

23. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

I think this was the most intense thread I ever read.  I am glad everyone is safe.  Everyone is safe right?

24. KCC Big Country profile image85

I'm in central Texas and it passed near here near 5:30 pm.  We had the warnings for the counties bordering our south.  It was moving NE and it was moving East more than North, so it missed us.  We have another round coming in later because we're expected to get our heaviest ran between midnight and 6 a.m.

25. KCC Big Country profile image85

Glad you're ok too Mike.

26. TheGlassSpider profile image63
    TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years ago

Thank goodness you guys are safe...Are there any other Hubbers in the general vicinity I wonder?

@Izzy: Have a good night smile

27. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

Glad everyone's safe.  Earlier tonite I heard my area's supposed to have thunderstorms and possible tornadoes, but their actually rare in the city where I live.  I've heard it's cuz of the lakes, like, tornadoes avoid water...? (lol can't remember where I heard that, don't know if it was a reliable source or not lol)

28. ThoughtfulSpot profile image70
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years ago

Glad to hear everyone made it through.  Fingers crossed that the damage in general was not too terrible and that the storms peter out...

Take care everybody!

29. cupid51 profile image68
    cupid51posted 14 years ago

Thank God Everyone is safe!

30. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

It's heading toward us now. I'm terrified of tornadoes! Maybe we'll just get the bad thunderstorms. It's pouring rain here now!

1. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Stay safe, Habee!

31. ThoughtfulSpot profile image70
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years ago

Take care Habee... fingers crossed its just storms!

32. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Thanks, guys!

33. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Habee are you out of it now?

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We've got another line coming.

1. Ohma profile image60
        Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well batten down the hatches but check your e-mail first.

34. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I kinda want to see a tornado now I am in America, however I would also prefer it to be a safe distance from my home.

I am thinking of going on craigs list and seeing if any storm chasers have a couple of spare seats in their cars for me and my fiancée!

1. Ohma profile image60
      Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Can you Say NUT. sorry Oli you would not catch me anywhere close. But I do understand the attraction for the young and enthusiastic.

2. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was caught outside (driving!) with a tornado in the county, once.  It wasn't a fun experience! 
      In a matter of about 20 minutes the sky went completely black and the wind picked up faster than I had ever been in and big old trees were bending as far as they could.  Huge branches fell across the roads so we ended up driving in circles, not knowing which way was safest to go.  After 10 minutes, the sky was clear and the air was calm.
      Never did see a funnel cloud, but a tornado was reported far from where we were, like 10 miles or so...I think.  This was over 15 years ago.

1. ThoughtfulSpot profile image70
        ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So scary! Glad I'm not near an active region.  We've had a few here in PA over the years, but its a rarity.  However, we get a little bit of everything here... I always joke we're in some sort of natural crossroads.  In the 30odd years I've lived in PA there have been:

Floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, hail, "straight winds", drought, heat waves, cold snaps, blizzards, "thundersnow" (that's my favorite one - IMHO proof that we've royally screwed up this planet), and even a (very minor) earthquake.

No volcanos... yet. roll (is there a "knock-on-wood" smiley?

1. Rafini profile image82

We've pretty much had the same here, in WI, although I don't know what 'straight winds' are...haven't heard the term before. lol  I think hurricane Katrina is the one that reached all the way up here, after landfall of course, and the couple earthquakes originated in Illinois but were felt all the way up here. 

hehehe   thundersnow, I love it!  guess you've never had a tornado in January then, have you?  Up here we've had a tornado recorded in every month of the year.  If you have mountains, I wouldn't put it past it to be a Volcano in slumber...yikes

I've seen tornadoes almost every month of the year. Not all one year, but since I can remember. We get em in October, even!  If we have cold weather in January, then it warms up for a few days, then cold comes in again...it can spawn thunderstorms and tornadoes. No month is immune to them if you live in tornado alley.

1. Rafini profile image82

so true...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)