Successfully using Twitter?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (19 posts)
  1. DCnews profile image61
    DCnewsposted 13 years ago

Is there anyone out there successfully using Twitter to make money?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I make around $2 a week by posting ads occasionally through http://mylikes.com

But I do it very infrequently so as not to upset people who follow me.

I also get a few visits to my various articles by using hashtags.

2. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not to make money, but to promote dialog, hubpages, and hubs that my fellow hubbers write.  I use it as a resource tool.  Check me out, I love twitter.  http://twitter.com/onebrncowco.

Like I sent a tweet out earlier today about a writer here named Cosette who has a cool hub on Project Runway.

But as for making money solely off of it, no.  It is just a marketing tool for me to promote my articles, and websites.

3. Dao Hoa profile image60
      Dao Hoaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I use for promoting my hubs only.

1. Richieb799 profile image77
        Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do the same, I post 20 links a day on there, earns me a few quid and my followers are rising because of it!

4. profile image0
      cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i used to use twitter but not anymore. it got to be too much work! wink

5. KeithTax profile image72
      KeithTaxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I get nice traffic from Twitter. A few folks have stated they work to get followers. Instead, I focus on tweets with keywords. I get a lot of Twitter traffic for days after posting tweets because people find me when they do a search.

I wrote about Twitter and traffic in the following hub:

10 Things I Learned in the 30 Hubs Challenge

2. Origin profile image59
    Originposted 13 years ago

I've heard of plenty of stories of people using it and getting some success from it. I don't personally use it, just never had a need.

3. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I am still figuring out how to actually use twitter, using it to make money is beyond me!

4. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 13 years ago

You will get more out of Twitter if you are interacting with your followers.

A person would be more likely to Retweet your link if they know you and like you.

Empty posts with no personality might get a few clicks but nothing like the results that ten or twenty Retweets will get you.

10 of your followers at an average of 2000 followers each RT your post will put your link in front of 20000 people.  Those people may also RT it for you exploding the potential.

Things can go viral on Twitter real fast.

If you have only 2000 followers yourself you can see the difference in exposure if you do not get a few RT's.

5. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 13 years ago

On a related note, they have a site called twiends.com where you can get more followers. In a sense you are buying followers on that site, but they have some protections in-place to insure that you only pay for the ones who continue to follow you for a period of time.

I'm up to nearly 300 followers in a short period of time, and some of them are now coming to my site. The trick is to give readers something to read every day, other than the name of a hub.

It can be a snippet of information, something funny to read, or anything else that engages the reader on a frequent basis.

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
      Arthur Fontesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yoshi you are paying for followers?

You are exactly right as far as providing interesting tweets.

Just a suggestion.

Use the twitter search to look for subjects that you would like to make comments on.

Simply Retweet people and respond @theirname to their tweets and you can gain followers so quickly.

If you follow me @arthurfontes  I will help you get some followers.  #followfriday my friend.  smile

1. yoshi97 profile image56
        yoshi97posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, I'm paying to form an initial gathering. If one just adds tweets they will form a group over time, but to get noticed on a quick basis one must advertise ... a necessary evil when you are marketing a product such as a website.

My current plot is to pay for about 25 new followers a day, which costs me about $1. I then throw out an interesting fact each day that keeps them checking my tweets, and in turn they come to my site and look around.

Once I have my tweet group up to about 2000 (which won't be long at this rate) I can shutoff the pay mechanism and cultivate the crowd I have grown ... and it will be advertising dollars well spent, considering the ones you spend elsewhere bring a reader in once and then they are lost to the ether. smile

Reddit.com is also a really good tool for bringing readers in. They currently bring in 90% of my traffic on my Voodoo Science series. Even as I type this they just brought in 51 page hits on my latest article and the count is still going ... and I posted that article about an hour ago. Now *that* is a decent reach. smile

Still, I think Twitter is a much better tool, as you are developing a following, rather than staging a one-night stand by engaging other sites at the moment.

I'm not saying backlinks are bad ... quite the opposite .. they're great! However, nothing beats a following that keeps watching and keeps returning. Any site that can do that is destined to rise to the top over time. That's why Twitter should be in the pocket of anyone serious about getting page views over time. smile

2. TheGlassSpider profile image63
        TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What does it mean when you put the # symbol in front of something? What does it do?

I'm still trying to learn...obviously. LOL

If you do a search #hubpages in the Twitter search you get a timeline of other people who have used that hashtag.

This is how you gain a following #Search for the targeted demographic profiles of your customer and interact with them.

If they do not respond back they are probably bots who never look at the Twitter timeline itself.

6. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 13 years ago

Yoshi

The followers you are receiving are possibly thinking like you?

Like hubber to hubber conversions I am not sure if the value would be worth it?

If Everyone in your group simply posts with no interaction of real life what is the potential?

I am talking about gaining followers who are actually sitting at the keyboard anticipating a reply to their well thought out tweet.

I am a newbie to internet marketing.  I am proficient at targeting my customer demographic in print and internet as far as used cars goes.

I think actual spenders and clickers even readers are alive and looking to connect with other people.  Spending a few minutes a day is easily worth the effort.

20 twitter visits on my article today ... so yes, they are worth the investment. smile

However, I *do not* recommend this approach to hubs. Why? I'm marketing a site not just articles, and if I used this approach for individual articles it would inevitably fail.

The goal is to bring readers into a universe I have total control over, and in so doing I can gauge their reactions and manipulate the look and feel to see what attracts them. With Hubpages I am confined to how the site works (which it actually works quite well) and to the fact that any page view could easily lead someone back out to someone elses profile. As such, on Hubpages we build value for ourselves and share it with others.

Also, having one's own site allows for more creative advertising, such as with Yieldbuild. This allows me to produce ad campaigns where I can see a market, or to eliminate advertising when I see viewers have grown fatigued.

This is why my approach with my own site is different and I do see the need to pay for an initial audience. As I am using Woopra I get a direct view of the number of hits I get from Twitter and I have taken that into account as to whether or not my campaign is working.

As of the moment, it's working out better than all but Reddit for bringing in readers.

As for why I just don't tweet others and wait for them to tweet me in return ...

1) That involves me in a lot of Twitter user accounts I don't intend to read, causing much clutter in my account.

2) I don't friend people with the expectation they should friend me back.

3) When I follow someone on Twitter, I want them to know I am an active follower

For these reasons I'm not one to go with the friend you - friend me policy.

However, I am exploring all avenues to bring in the traffic, and doing quite well considering scientific topics (as a rule) are hopelessly limited in audience or overwritten to the point you need many backlinks to compete.

My current goal is to establish a word of mouth marketing campaign, but to do that I need to first write more material. After all, I don't want those words to be 'Not much here ... going elsewhere' smile

I wish you luck and I will acquiesce to your knowledge of Internet marketing.

I was just trying to tell you my experience with Twitter that I will admit I have only accrued a small following.  Somewhere in the low 8000's but I wish you all the luck you deserve.

I only know a fragment of what it would take to make money with the process.

I only knows what I knows But I wish you luck in your endeavor.

Your experience and knowledge isn't wrong. I was only explaining what I was doing and my methodology. Again, what I am doing on my own site is a lot different than what I am doing here, so it demands a different approach.

I'm working on raising the Titanic overnight, which is why I am being so hardcore about my process. If I was only marketing a blog I definitely would not be using this process as the ROI (return on investment) would be a huge negative. However, the site I'm working on is a point of presence (like popular science, discovery magazine, etc) so I need to command a quick following or risk losing the crowd.

So far, my ROI has been positive, which is why I have been willing to invest a small amount. Should that number turn negative then I will know that I have saturated my marketing and need to go with what I have.

It's the difference in purpose that determines the difference in marketing, which is why you are right about what you are saying, and why it won't work in my case.

It's important to me that you understand that I'm not disagreeing with you as I don't want others interpreting what you are saying as being wrong - because it's not. However, like in my case, there are a few exceptions to the rules. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)