google searches and hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (13 posts)
  1. barranca profile image77
    barrancaposted 16 years ago

I noticed that one of my hubs used to be high on a google search list and it was getting quite a few hits on it.  It was listed in the same way as the title of my hub.  Today I searched on the same term and, to my surprise, it was no longer there.  I had to search down through the pages of hits to the third page and found it listed as a "hot hub site: architecture".  This compels a viewer to go through all the other architecture hubs to find mine.  Any comment? 

I am referring to the hub on Phillip Johnson: St. Basil's Chapel in Houston.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Phillip_Johnson … l__Houston

2. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 16 years ago

Google fluctuations are normal.  The best way to keep a page in the google index is to acquire high quality editorial backlinks from pages with similar content.

3. barranca profile image77

Paul,
    I don't think the fluctuations are a result of normal issues in the sense that you are suggesting.  It is pretty clear to me that the change is the result of how the title of the google listing was changed.  I would be interested if it is/was a result of something that hubpages did.  If so, I think it was short-sighted.  To do something that lowers a google ranking on a particular hub in order to advertise hubpages in general is unwise precisely because it is self-defeating.  If a hub is on the first page of a google listing, it is driving traffic to hubpages in general as well as in particular, but if it drops down to the fourth page or so because of something hubpages did, then everyone loses.  Hardly anyone goes to the fourth page of a google search.

Regards,  Barranca.

4. jimmythejock profile image83
    jimmythejockposted 16 years ago

i have hubs on the front page of many google searches and they do fluctuate, it is nothing to do with what hubpages has done or hasn't done, i can be on page one of search today page 8 tomorrow and back to page 1 the next day,google search results do fluctuate from day to day the only guaranteed way to stay on the front page is to pay google an advertising fee.....jimmy

5. SexyDip profile image60
    SexyDipposted 16 years ago

New pages gets a bonus in rankings from Google. Most of my hubs have a minimum of 30-40 incoming links. After 2-3 days Google sends good traffic. After a week or 10 days my hubs gets less and less google traffic until I update the hub (add 10% or more content). After a few days the traffic is back.

All my regularly updated hubpages have a hubscore 90+ and good Google traffic.

SPECIAL HINT: Don't try to understand the Google logic or the HubScore algorithm, just write for surfers, get incoming links and check your keyword density.

HTH

6. barranca profile image77

I fully accept that google hits will fluctuate and that rankings on google will fluctuate.  But why does a title change and a direct avenue to my particular hub disappear.  And in its place (albeit with a much lower google rank) appears a page that directs interested people to all of the hubpages that have architectural content?  By the way, some of my pages still appear directly on a google search.

I admit that I have been a bit neurotic about algorithms etc.  But that is the name of the game in a sense.  And I have just been trying to understand it all.

BTW thanks for the responses

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 16 years agoin reply to this

The reason that a direct link to your Hub is not showing up in the results is that it has been placed in Google's supplemental index, as you can see here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en& … bpages.com

The architecture tag page that is appearing in the results is not in the supplemental index.   Google generally shows results from the supplemental index if it can't find enough matches in the normal index (and lists them after everything in the normal index).

We at HubPages don't have any direct control over what google decides to put in the supplemental index and we would definitely like all pages, and especially hubs, to stay in the main index.

There is a pretty good explanation of the supplemental index here:

http://tropicalseo.com/2007/how-to-esca … tal-index/

7. barranca profile image77

Paul,  Thanks for the complete reply.  This helps a lot.  (and dispels a bit of my paranoia).  This slipping into the "supplemental" level is definitely to be avoided if possible.  The reply you posted should be common knowledge for all "hubbers".  I thought my page was pretty good and did have some very good images that weren't available on the majority of sites on the first page or two of google and I think the traffic to it justified its presence on the first page.  But perhaps I didn't have enough text, or have "backlinked" (something I haven't yet learned to do.)

Any way, thanks for the full explanation.

Regards,  Barranca.

8. barranca profile image77

I noticed that one reason a page gets dumped into supplemental is that it has too much advertising associated with it.  That is ironic because the ads are from Google.

9. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 16 years ago

Pages going supplemental in google is usually caused by a lack of pagerank, which is primarily increased by high quality editorial backlinks.

Backlinks are hyperlinks from site A to site B.  If site B has enough incoming links, it usually stays in the main index.

10. hedgeek profile image60
    hedgeekposted 16 years ago

Well for my personal experience, I have had a number of pages that fluctuated but stayed in the main index until very recently.  Now all of my pages have gone into the supplemental index and some of those pages have page rank.  One of the hubs has pagerank of 3.  So I find this all a bit baffling.  I worked to get a few high quality inbound links from good sites as you have suggested but it has been difficult achieve this on a consistent basis.

I suppose I was hoping for some insight or perhaps one of those “aha” moments where perhaps the hubpages team could say “we changed this on the site and suddenly that happened” but perhaps this is not the case.

I agree that the HubPages team does not have control of what is indexed by Google, but one of the strong points of the site for me was the fact that for some reason, probably the site design and layout, hubs were able to get indexed quickly and we received expanded readership beyond just the community.  I suppose I can be content with this smaller readership and I assume lower overall hubscore because I don’t really have the energy or knowledge required to get my hubs out of limbo

11. gooadam profile image67
    gooadamposted 16 years ago

Both Pauls were exactly right and were trying to help you.  Mr Edmondson even gave you the solution twice.  Maybe subliminally you may understand.

So, maybe your structure (backlinks) could be improved by adding the keyword (backlinks) into the H3, the H2, as well as the (backlinks) title and url.  Also beware over repeating (backlinks) the keyword in the body of the (backlinks) text.  If your form (backlinks) improves then your readability by (backlinks) the search engines.  Oh, and you might want to (backlinks) improve your backlinks!  Good Luck! wink

12. kbhuffaker profile image57
    kbhuffakerposted 15 years ago

I've wondered about the "hot hub site: architecture" link in Google myself.  I also have hubs that come and go on Google's first page.  One day they will be on the top of the first page and the next they will be on page 3 of 4 but in the next few days they will show back up on the front page again.  I've also had my hubpage listed on the fist page as well as my "hot hub site: architecture" link.  But it's good to learn how this is all happening.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)