Unpublished Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)
  1. William F. Torpey profile image72
    William F. Torpeyposted 14 years ago

Just puzzled: How can an unpublished hub attain a higher score than any published hub? (The published hubs with lower scores must be pretty bad!)

1. SunSeven profile image62
      SunSevenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd been wondering about that. Also, when you start a new hub, if you cook it for some time, it will attain a higher score that if you publish it at 50, faster! I have published new hubs at 75. smile
      Best Regards my old friend.

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
        GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm not following you, I swear.

But you're right, there is a correlation to how long it's been cooking, the total length of the hub, etc. that will determine a higher score while still unpublished.

Although, I'm not entirely convinced that some of the hard working staff at HP doesn't go through them...

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You answered yourself in your question:  "The published hubs with lower scores must be pretty bad!"

I've gotten a few unpublished Hubs as high as the low 80s.  I leave completed Hubs unpublished for a week or two just so I can really fine-tune them.  I don't hit the publish button until the score is in the high 60s or better.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that is a great strategy relache. I check my unpublished score, and if it doesn't rise high enough I edit it adding capsules etc. until it does and then publish. smile

2. William F. Torpey profile image72
        William F. Torpeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I assume HubPages believes the hub to be "pretty bad" if it assigns a low score to the hub; however, many of my hubs have low scores and I do not believe they are bad at all. They may not meet HubPages criteria for what is a good hub, but it all depends on what yardstick you use. Some of my "pretty bad" hubs turn out to be pretty good when they get more traffic and their score rises significantly. How bad can a low-scoring hub be if it can rise significantly without modification?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

William, just because the score is low, doesn't mean the Hub is "bad".   Several factors influence HubScore, and quality of writing is NOT one of them.

If you write a very short Hub, or if it's duplicate content, both those factors will have a strong negative effect. 

HubScore also reflects traffic, so if you write fairly non-commercial Hubs which get only Hubber traffic, your scores will be low.

It's unfortunate, Marisa, that the quality of writing is not considered important in evaluating hub score. That fact encourages writers to "fluff up" their hubs to raise their scores.
            I understand that many short hubs are mindlessly thrown together and deserve a low score, but an incisive, well-written hub that provides helpful information should not, in my opinion, be punished merely because of the number of words. As they say, the Gettysburg Address -- one of the most memorable in history -- had only 272 words.
            It also is understandable that HubPages favors commercial hubs because it is a commercial enterprise, nevertheless part of HubPages promotion encourages hubbers to write whatever interests them. Low scores on hubs, I would think, encourages hubbers to believe their hubs are undesirable. That would seem to discourage hubbers from writing about "what interests them." Perhaps what is needed is a separate scoring system for noncommercial hubs that would enable hubbers to feel pride in a "short" but well done hub.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
              Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, I can't see any way that quality could be considered.  The HubScore is calculated automatically by robots, not by people.  I doubt the HubPages team would have the manpower to manually assess Hubs for quality of writing - and if they did, as in the recent contest, there would be differences of opinion. 

In theory, it might be possible to run grammar and spell checkers over Hubs as part of the scoring process, but as you know, they are pretty mindless things and throw up all kinds of silly results at times, so the outcome would be unreliable.

C'est la vie.

2. William F. Torpey profile image72
    William F. Torpeyposted 14 years ago

Hi, SunSeven. Good to hear from an old friend.

I have an unpublished hub I'm nearly ready to publish that has climbed from a score of 52 to, at present, 66, which is higher than the average of all my hubs.

I don't pretend to understand the process, but it appears to me that the hub scores are purposely made to fluctuate as sort of a trial balloons to see whether the higher ranking will help them catch on. Naturally, HubPages wants to get the most out of all those latent hubs that are mired in the lower levels of Hub Land. I believe the hub score has little to do with the intrinsic value of it and everything to do with whether it can be pushed to the top to attract more buyers to the ads.

1. SunSeven profile image62
      SunSevenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Neither do I. But I guess it has to do with the dollar signs! smile

3. ITSecurityAnalyst profile image57
    ITSecurityAnalystposted 14 years ago

I also see the same phenomena with my hubs.

4. Origin profile image60
    Originposted 14 years ago

As strange as it sounds, I don't really pay attention to hub scores unless they are abysmal, I just avoid those. I guess it's from having websites for over a decade that I only concentrate on one simple thing, traffic.

Although, I have noticed a bunch of my unpublished pages fluctuating too. I just assumed it was an internal ranking system mechanism, that even unpublished hubs are still a part of. The fluctuating of the score reminds me of riding a wave, if you get high enough you may get snagged (aka enough attention to stay high).

5. Urbane Chaos profile image90
    Urbane Chaosposted 14 years ago

I have a hub that I haven't published that's been sitting around for awhile.. it has a very low hub score.

On the other hand, I have a hub that I haven't published, but I edit it all the time.  It's a "test" hub, for where I keep information about new tricks and notes I may need later.  Sometimes, I'll edit it for quite awhile, and suddenly the hubscore jumps way up for that hub - especially if I preview it a lot.

I think one of the key things is how active the hub is - published or unpublished. I may be way off, but in my experience here, that seems to be the case.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)